You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheDreadnought

Stealth Fire complaining is just RDF all over again!

77 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,701 posts

Every few months destroyer players complain about something in the new patch that's going to make DDs unplayable and ruin the game.   A few months ago it was the ridiculous notion that battleships everywhere we're going to load up on RDF and insta kill DDs.  The current flavor of the month is open water stealth fire going away.  Strangely, there always seems to be a healthy DD population after the new "DD killer" patch is out a while.

This is because the complainers ignore the facts in favor of their loud and obnoxious complaints.  With RDF the fact was the skill wasn't that great, and certainly no BB in his right mind would waste 4 points on it.

With stealth fire the fact is smoke firing has replaced stealth fire and island hugging.  The game is lousy with long duration smoke these days.  Christ even battleships are taking advantage of smoke!  The removal of open water stealth is barely going to make a blip on the game at this point.  Just like RDF.

• Cool 9

Members
328 posts
3,019 battles

I'm sure that all DDs and cruisers which utilize concealment will be fine once concealment is removed.  It's a direct nerf entirely independent of which skills the opponent takes.  The comparison to RDF is apples to oranges.  Once players got ahold of the skill and realized what they needed to sacrifice for it, voices of reason were heard.  This is a flat nerf to every ship in the entire game which relies on a core gameplay mechanic that has been present since launch.  It's the same as if WG just decided to cut Battleship HP by 20% across the board.

Enjoy the long duration smoke spam, because it's going to get a whole lot worse when the only other means of stealth is removed.

• Cool 9

[NNG]
Members
1,675 posts
3,039 battles

I find this funny since almost every other battle in one of my battleships, I got bombarded by an invisible destroy. I guess they can't take it as well as they dish it out.

You must understand though that is probably a small minority of DD players who complain about this, most probably don't care and keep on doing what they normally do. Don't judge entire groups of players by just a few loudmouths. It's also the same as a while back when the stereotypically battleship captain always drove in straight lines and were oblivious to torpedoes. Some destroy and cruiser captains found a nasty surprise when they came across a battleships captain who didn't fit this stereotype.

• Cool 1

[NG-NL]
Members
6,245 posts
10,071 battles

Fondness for a conspiracy theory seems strong among them.

I just find it amusing when the predictions never get realized. RDF rarely ever comes into play, and with minimap awareness skills, it's more or less a waste of 4 skill points.

Invisifiring typically comes from all the wimps that hide in their smoke or skilled enough to use islands for LOS cover. Former is where most of it comes.

For most part, it's only a threat when DD on receiving end. Everyone is threatened OTOH when it's a RN CL, and doubly when a BB camps in the smoke. Hope WG looks into this next. Gun bloom preventing smoke covering the BB seems a good solution--I don't believe any RN CL needs adjusting, except maybe Minotaur given it's ridiculous RoF.

Members
1,082 posts
3,574 battles

(OP) Your complaints are just as predictable as are some others. The problem that most had with RDF is making it impossible to flank. Do sneaky DD stuff like that, pull out a win from a loss. My complaint was the further dumbing down of the game. That opinion still holds. It was cheesy, silly and accomplished little except to make a lot of people mad. There are those of us who couldnt care less about stealth firing. I dont and never did. Personally, Im going to enjoy watching some of the cruisers lose it. So maybe blanket statements isnt the greatest way to go. Cheers :great:

[WOLF7]
Members
12,599 posts

Fondness for a conspiracy theory seems strong among them.

I just find it amusing when the predictions never get realized. RDF rarely ever comes into play, and with minimap awareness skills, it's more or less a waste of 4 skill points.

Invisifiring typically comes from all the wimps that hide in their smoke or skilled enough to use islands for LOS cover. Former is where most of it comes.

For most part, it's only a threat when DD on receiving end. Everyone is threatened OTOH when it's a RN CL, and doubly when a BB camps in the smoke. Hope WG looks into this next. Gun bloom preventing smoke covering the BB seems a good solution--I don't believe any RN CL needs adjusting, except maybe Minotaur given it's ridiculous RoF.

Well, if AFT becomes a liability to some ships, perhaps they'll consider RDF now....:trollface:

Members
474 posts
598 battles

I feel like ships that rely on stealth firing are going to be buffed in order to make up for the inability to stealth fire anymore.

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,243 battles

RDF is a game breaking skill. But it helps the team More than the individual, so no one takes it. In Ranked it is quite useful in preventing surprise flanking moves.  The argument that "people will adapt" is specious. You can adapt to losing a leg, but that doesnt mean you werent better off before.

• Cool 6

Members
328 posts
3,019 battles

RDF is a game breaking skill. But it helps the team More than the individual, so no one takes it. In Ranked it is quite useful in preventing surprise flanking moves.  The argument that "people will adapt" is specious. You can adapt to losing a leg, but that doesnt mean you werent better off before.

Adapting in WG games tends to be "pick a newer line of tanks/ships" :B

The new VMF DD split line was clearly built with the removal of invis-fire in mind and is superior in virtually every way.

[USCC2]
Members
6,163 posts

To OP: I would like the invisifire that BBs enjoy to be taken away as well.

Why when someone else spots a ship should a BB be able to fire at them from across the map - especially when the target ship is unable to fire back (because of range)? Essentially this is exactly what invisifire is, is it not; something firing at you when you can't do anything back to them?

I mean if everyone has to become a viable target when they fire at someone (removal of invisifire), then why shouldn't this rule apply to everyone?

Edited by _WaveRider_
  • Cool 1

[USCC2]
Members
6,163 posts

I find this funny since almost every other battle in one of my battleships, I got bombarded by an invisible destroy. I guess they can't take it as well as they dish it out.

You must understand though that is probably a small minority of DD players who complain about this, most probably don't care and keep on doing what they normally do. Don't judge entire groups of players by just a few loudmouths. It's also the same as a while back when the stereotypically battleship captain always drove in straight lines and were oblivious to torpedoes. Some destroy and cruiser captains found a nasty surprise when they came across a battleships captain who didn't fit this stereotype.

Ummm, no we can't take it as well as we dish it out. To do that we would have to have BB HP levels and insta heals. You also seem to think that DDs don't suffer from invisifire; they do - they just don't complain about it as much as BB players do lol. :P
  • Cool 2

Members
139 posts
10,853 battles

I feel like ships that rely on stealth firing are going to be buffed in order to make up for the inability to stealth fire anymore.

I highly doubt that.  The only ship that relies on stealth firing is the Akizuki.  (It also relies on having a 14+ point captain)  This whole thing is honestly blown out of proportion and a bunch of people have their panties in a knot.  I found stealth firing gimmicky and stupid.  There are better things to invest in a ship rather than making it better at stealth fire.  I still built full concealment on my DDs and cruisers just because I like being able to ninja vanish after shooting and not get spotted by other DDs as easily.  

The only other specific ships this nerf will hurt, but not majorly change their play style is the Ibuki, Zao, and possible the Khab and Teshkent (forces them to take smoke instead of repair party) and I've heard the Sims and Blys

Members
139 posts
10,853 battles

Why when someone else spots a ship should a BB be able to fire at them from across the map - especially when the target ship is unable to fire back (because of range)? Essentially this is exactly what invisifire is, is it not; something firing at you when can't do anything back to them?

I mean if everyone has to become a viable target when they fire at someone (removal of invisifire), then why shouldn't this rule apply to everyone?

No BB in the game can stealth fire.  They can vanish after firing because the reloads are so long but every single BB has a spotting range when firing greater than their target range
  • Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,085 posts
14,661 battles

Every few months destroyer players complain about something in the new patch that's going to make DDs unplayable and ruin the game.   A few months ago it was the ridiculous notion that battleships everywhere we're going to load up on RDF and insta kill DDs.  The current flavor of the month is open water stealth fire going away.  Strangely, there always seems to be a healthy DD population after the new "DD killer" patch is out a while.

This is because the complainers ignore the facts in favor of their loud and obnoxious complaints.  With RDF the fact was the skill wasn't that great, and certainly no BB in his right mind would waste 4 points on it.

With stealth fire the fact is smoke firing has replaced stealth fire and island hugging.  The game is lousy with long duration smoke these days.  Christ even battleships are taking advantage of smoke!  The removal of open water stealth is barely going to make a blip on the game at this point.  Just like RDF.

The effect on DD's will be minimal but it will hammer the few cruisers that could use it particularly the Russian cruisers.with their rail guns.

Members
278 posts
3,457 battles

No BB in the game can stealth fire.  They can vanish after firing because the reloads are so long but every single BB has a spotting range when firing greater than their target range

WRONG North Carolina can be built to stealth fire at max range. 
  • Cool 2

[-K--]
Members
3,075 posts
6,658 battles

Takes flavor-of-the-month patch issue. Turns it into an anti-DD gloat.

Okay...

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,085 posts
14,661 battles

Actually if you can get an island or smoke between you and all of the enemies that could spot you invisifire is available.

[KSF]
-Members-
6,960 posts
10,623 battles

Huh. There's been very little complaining and my post on the subject was asking for clarification on the terms of the change.

[USCC2]
Members
6,163 posts

You misunderstand. Stealth fire is the ability to fire at something and not be targetted back.

Isn't that what a BB does when he fires from across the map at me because his team mate has seen me? I can't do anything back to him as I don't have the range.

Why is it not ok for one ship class to be able to fire (invisifire) at a ship knowing that ship can't fire back, but its ok for a BB to do it?

Edited by _WaveRider_

[KIA]
Members
263 posts
3,866 battles

Why when someone else spots a ship should a BB be able to fire at them from across the map - especially when the target ship is unable to fire back (because of range)? Essentially this is exactly what invisifire is, is it not; something firing at you when you can't do anything back to them?

You realize only BB players who are good can do this and also that DDs and cruisers do the same so it is only fair that BBs can if handled correctly.

Members
474 posts
598 battles

You misunderstand. Stealth fire is the ability to fire at something and not be targetted back.

Isn't that what a BB does when he fires from across the map at me because his team mate has seen me? I can't do anything back to him as I don't have the range.

Why is it not ok for one ship class to be able to fire (invisifire) at a ship knowing that ship can't fire back, but its ok for a BB to do it?

When I think of stealth firing, I think of ships whose detectability bloom is less than their firing range. (i.e. ships like the Zao or the Benson)

[USCC2]
Members
6,163 posts

You realize only BB players who are good can do this and also that DDs and cruisers do the same so it is only fair that BBs can if handled correctly.

I've never seen a DD or Cruiser be able to fire at a BB that has been spotted,  but that BB not be able to fire back because he doesn't have the range? :amazed:

[NNC]
[NNC]
Beta Testers
411 posts
6,762 battles

This is because the complainers ignore the facts in favor of their loud and obnoxious complaints. 

Could you possibly back up these facts with evidence or statistics?

[USCC2]
Members
6,163 posts

When I think of stealth firing, I think of ships whose detectability bloom is less than their firing range. (i.e. ships like the Zao or the Benson)

You are right, but people seem to be fixated on the name when it appears to be the mechanic that they have the real problem with:

Stealth fire mechanic: ability to fire at something without them being able to fire back (unless they close in).

BB mechanic: let others spot for you resulting in.....yep, now read the stealth explanation above.

Only difference with the mechanics is the one called 'stealth' is associated with non BB ships! 

For non BB ship read nerf/remove it. So to the OP, I would rejoice in the removal of such a mechanic, if it is removed from all ships equally (Don't worry you can still keep your high HP and heals) :P

Edited by _WaveRider_

Members
474 posts
598 battles

You are right, but people seem to be fixated on the name when it appears to be the mechanic that they have the real problem with:

Stealth fire mechanic: ability to fire at something without them being able to fire back (unless they close in).

BB mechanic: let others spot for you resulting in.....yep, now read the stealth explanation above.

Only difference with the mechanics is the one called 'stealth' is associated with non BB ships! 

The guns on BBs are horribly inaccurate, so firing from extreme range will result in most of it's shots missing the target.