You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Cit_the_bed

A simple solution to Sealclubbing and overwhelmed new players.

75 comments in this topic

[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
Members
1,246 posts
19,519 battles

In T1-T2 games, a new player will have a very bad experience. This is because there are certain players who like to play low tiers with high point captains.

Instead of playing at higher tiers, some players sealclub. These are people who don't like to lose, so they seek the largest advantage possible and play it safe so they are always only winning. 

This is the very definition of sealclubbing.

People have suggested many ways to solve the problem, like skill based ranking. All of these are very hard to implement in the game code.

I propose a simple solution to prevent sealclubbing at low tiers and to provide a superior experience to new players.

Limit the captain's skills by Tier.This will prevent most sealclubbing. Take a look at the proposed chart below, specifically T1 and T2. T3 is option and only works with

reshuffling matchmaking.

t1_3.png

With my proposed change, if someone wants to sealclub at T1, they will be limited to basic skills; no more T1-T2 with concealment expert, advanced firing training, and IFHE.

T2 allows for things like adrenaline rush (which should be a fourth tier skill in my opinion). Lots of options, yet still not allowing concealment expert or advanced firing training 

to break the game.

T3: T3 has a much more liberal amount of skills, for more advanced play. This leads us to the problem of T4, where people complain the most about sealclubbing. That is because you have ships of much older design with almost no AA against carriers with full point captains. I suggest that matchmaking be rearranged to a more harmonious range.

T1-T2

T2-T3

T4-T6

T5-T7

T6-T8

T7-T9

T8-T10

Implementing the T1 and T2 captain skills limiting alone will greatly improve the game for new players, and prevent the most blatant sealclubbing.

There are more elegant solutions, but they are more complex, require more player statistics and tracking, more changes to the game code and are

harder to tune. I suggest that T1-T2 be limited and known as new player territory, and that the limits will discourage sealclubbing and reduce new player 

discouragement.

t1_3.png

Edited by lentil_soup
  • Cool 5

[SALTY]
Members
1,291 posts
4,139 battles

I seal club T10, so this change doesn't bother me.

[HINON]
Members
13,731 posts

They already match new players with new players for a certain amount of matches at low tiers.

[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
Members
1,246 posts
19,519 battles

They already match new players with new players for a certain amount of matches at low tiers.

If there's not enough new players for a full T1 game it will just put "normal" players into the match.

[YORHA]
Members
5,139 posts
10,312 battles

Also no divisions below Tier V.  Divisions of seal clubbers in Tier IV  stat-whoring is not only disgusting, but is killing the game.

If they set up the MM to protect tier IV and below so people can at least learn the basics of the game without getting wiped out in 120 seconds they can also eliminate divisions there. 

• Cool 2

[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
Members
1,246 posts
19,519 battles

Tier 3 would always be top tier, though.  Wouldn't that make ships like the St Louis blatantly OP?

Did you read the post? (T3 is option and only works with

reshuffling matchmaking.)

Beta Testers
263 posts
2,620 battles

People who earn high point captains should not be restricted on what tiers they can use them in. May as well just eliminate captain skills then and give every player a generic captain of equal skill level. Not going to be popular, and does little to encourage people to play if they can't improve their crew along the way. The low tier players aren't getting clubbed because the captain points are higher either. Its 90% about the player's experience level, maybe 10% due to captain skill points.

• Cool 3

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,679 posts
2,621 battles

Did you read the post? (T3 is option and only works with

reshuffling matchmaking.)

I did.  You didn't really explain what you meant by "t3 is option".  In your list, Tier 3 would always be top tier, which would actually make it better for seal clubbers.

Members
3,792 posts
23,987 battles

You don't need a high skill point captain to seal club at T1-T3. Any skilled player with a brand new captain can still record lots of damage because they have experience playing the game which new players don't.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
2,589 posts
8,793 battles

How big of a problem are seal clubbers really? I mean I might play 2 games a month down at roflstomp tiers, but it gets boring quickly. 

[SYN]
Members
15,875 posts
12,803 battles

I don't disagree with the captain skill limits at lower tiers.

but I don't agree with the tier brackets.

Tier brackets should work like this.

T1

T2

T2/3

T3/4

T4/5

T5/6

T6/7

T6/7/8

T7/8

T7/8/9

T8/9

T9/10

T8/9/10

[USCC2]
Members
6,189 posts

It's easy to say that Seal Clubbers come down to lower tiers because they got butt whooped at the higher tiers and feel like doing the same to someone else with less experience (generally being a bully), but that's not always the case.

Some may be helping new players, some may enjoy playing normal tiers or have ships they still enjoy playing at low tier. In some cases they also have to earn credits.

Whatever the reason, it's not going to change.

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,904 posts
8,723 battles

Also no divisions below Tier V.  Divisions of seal clubbers in Tier IV  stat-whoring is not only disgusting, but is killing the game.

If they set up the MM to protect tier IV and below so people can at least learn the basics of the game without getting wiped out in 120 seconds they can also eliminate divisions there. 

So what you are saying is that if you were in charge I wouldn't be able to help my friend that just started learn some game basics until they reach tier 5? Sorry the only reason my friend made it to tier 4 was because she was playing with me. 

• Cool 2

Members
328 posts
3,019 battles

MM should have always been +/- 1 tier

Tier 5 has been 100% handicapped since the last MM changes, which sadly removed one of the more fun tiers from the game.  WG insists that tier 5 is not at a serious disadvantage against tier 7, which is hilarious when you actually look at some of the default ship line comparisons.

Tier 1 is already basic enough as it is, the problem with seal clubbing is that it runs amok in tiers 4 & 7 due to the MM advantage.  New players grinding up stock ships hit a frustrating grindwall from tier 3-5 as a result.

There is no instance of a tier -2 ship not being at a significant disadvantage against it's up-tiered counterpart.

• Cool 1

Members
4,478 posts
19,839 battles

Tier 5 has been 100% handicapped since the last MM changes, which sadly removed one of the more fun tiers from the game.  WG insists that tier 5 is not at a serious disadvantage against tier 7, which is hilarious when you actually look at some of the default ship line comparisons.

I hear that! They obviously hav'nt fought a Nagato with a Texas. Or a Myoko with a Marblehead. If they had, whoever says that would change his outlook real fast.

MM +/- 1 tier is how it should be.

Edited by ReddNekk

Beta Testers
3,235 posts
26,893 battles

Leave the game alone otherwise you risk the chances of losing costumers Joey....The game is fine as is ! ! ! 

[YORHA]
Members
5,139 posts
10,312 battles

So what you are saying is that if you were in charge I wouldn't be able to help my friend that just started learn some game basics until they reach tier 5? Sorry the only reason my friend made it to tier 4 was because she was playing with me. 

I thought of that but, in my opinion, on balance there are a lot more people abusing it than using it the way you did.  New players are going to become very discouraged when they get insta-deleted every single game and will just give up on it.

Hell... I saw it in every tier 5 match I was in last night.  3-4 person divisions with high skill captains going around wiping out everyone on the opposing team in the first 10 minutes.  Tier V is hard enough but it is where people should be starting to learn the more subtle aspects of the game so you suck it up and move on.  But Tier IV should be a place where they won't get killed right away.

And not everyone has the advantage of someone who will mentor them, or the available time to play 5000 games a year.

This is the same thing that happened to Steel Ocean. Elite players and clans wiping out the newcomers to the point where all that is left is the elite and then the thing dies  You really want that to happen to WOWs?

[WOLF3]
Members
394 posts

99% of the purple stat elitists seal club to get those stats....so don't expect to see any changes.

[SALTY]
Members
1,291 posts
4,139 battles

99% of the purple stat elitists seal club to get those stats....so don't expect to see any changes.

Well that is a downright lie. 

Next time you see a purple player, check their average tier played. 

• Cool 1

[SBS]
Members
6,105 posts

That number might a bit high, but yeah, some people will pad their stats in low tiers.  Also, how many people have started new accounts so they don't have the loses from their learning period dragging their win rate down.
Edited by Slimeball91

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles

Yeah when I started I certainly was not playing Veteran players.

[FOXEH]
Members
1,935 posts
12,435 battles

In T1-T2 games, a new player will have a very bad experience. This is because there are certain players who like to play low tiers with high point captains.

Instead of playing at higher tiers, some players sealclub. These are people who don't like to lose, so they seek the largest advantage possible and play it safe so they are always only winning. 

This is the very definition of sealclubbing.

People have suggested many ways to solve the problem, like skill based ranking. All of these are very hard to implement in the game code.

I propose a simple solution to prevent sealclubbing at low tiers and to provide a superior experience to new players.

Limit the captain's skills by Tier.This will prevent most sealclubbing. Take a look at the proposed chart below, specifically T1 and T2. T3 is option and only works with

reshuffling matchmaking.

t1_3.png

With my proposed change, if someone wants to sealclub at T1, they will be limited to basic skills; no more T1-T2 with concealment expert, advanced firing training, and IFHE.

T2 allows for things like adrenaline rush (which should be a fourth tier skill in my opinion). Lots of options, yet still not allowing concealment expert or advanced firing training 

to break the game.

T3: T3 has a much more liberal amount of skills, for more advanced play. This leads us to the problem of T4, where people complain the most about sealclubbing. That is because you have ships of much older design with almost no AA against carriers with full point captains. I suggest that matchmaking be rearranged to a more harmonious range.

T1-T2

T2-T3

T4-T6

T5-T7

T6-T8

T7-T9

T8-T10

Implementing the T1 and T2 captain skills limiting alone will greatly improve the game for new players, and prevent the most blatant sealclubbing.

There are more elegant solutions, but they are more complex, require more player statistics and tracking, more changes to the game code and are

harder to tune. I suggest that T1-T2 be limited and known as new player territory, and that the limits will discourage sealclubbing and reduce new player 

discouragement.

make it after x number of games you get increasingly less (from standard) ex and free xp in lower tiers.  And restrict players over x number of games to tier three and more.