You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
bassmasta76

First Clear Sky, woo woo!

17 comments in this topic

[5IN]
Members
2,106 posts
10,180 battles

I received my first Clear Sky achievement today, woo woo!:medal:  It only took me 2500 randoms, and I ended up doing it in the North Carolina.  I knew the ship had good AA cover, so I buffed to the max (only thing lacking is Manual AA).  The poor Shokaku on the red team kept sending planes, and I kept eating them up.  Towards the end of the battle, to be funny, I asked him to keep sending more and surprisingly, he did just that:P.  

That leaves only 1 more medal that I've yet to achieve... the Witherer.  

good times :)

b

[5D5]
Members
1,664 posts
9,866 battles

Congrats..

You've got a solo warrior?  That's the one that eludes me..

[5IN]
Members
2,106 posts
10,180 battles

Thank you!  Solo Warrior... yeah, not to sound like a jerk, but I just checked and I've got 3 of them... I don't remember the first, but the second I got in the Isokaze and the most recent in the Kuma.  Some achievements are easy but that one I think is just a combination of right place/right time and a whole lot of luck (I hesitate to leave out skill, but I think it's less skill and more luck/timing).

b

Members
4,478 posts
19,839 battles

GRATS! That's one that's eluded me. I rarely see a Chicken Coop when I play my Atlanta, which is the ship that I have the best chance to get that one in. I did get Double Strike with the 'Lanta over a year ago.

[RLGN]
Members
14,960 posts
26,494 battles

Good job. Lots harder to do now under the new system, and especially hard to get with a non-cv ship.

[5IN]
Members
2,106 posts
10,180 battles

Hey all,

So since I've discovered the AA capabilities of the NC, I've been playing it all weekend to try and rack up a few more Clear Sky's for Mission 3 / Task 5 of of the Honorable Service campaign.  If you are unfamiliar with that task, you have to rack up 3 Clear Sky achievements, and it is not ship specific, just a T8-T10 in Random Battles.

Here is something interesting:  In the last battle, I shot down 50 planes from the enemy Lexington.  The Lex carries 72 planes, which means I shot down just under 70% of his planes.  The total planes shot down by my team was 74 (including my 50) with the next highest "Plane Killer" at 14 kills.  Why wouldn't I get a Clear Sky for that?  I know the reward Signals are only once per day, but the Achievement says it can be received once per battle.

If anyone knows, I'm curious as to what I may have done wrong or if this is a bug.

*shrug*.

thanks,

b

[MRTN]
Members
5 posts
5,622 battles

bassmasta76:

Don't forget that many surface ships (CA and BB) also carry aircraft.  They count against the % shot down requirement of clear skies, including any that are not launched (I believe).  When you have that many additional aircraft scattered across the map diluting your overall % effectiveness at shooting down enemy aircraft, you can see how even shooting down 100% of an enemy CV's planes may not be enough, if you are so graced by their attention at all.

[MRTN]
Members
5 posts
5,622 battles

I used to get clear skies achievements all the time (USN CV, Cleveland, Des Moines player), but since they made the change I have only gotten it once.  Big grats for anyone who managed to get a clear skies since the relevant update: you earned it.

[5IN]
Members
2,106 posts
10,180 battles

bassmasta76:

Don't forget that many surface ships (CA and BB) also carry aircraft.  They count against the % shot down requirement of clear skies, including any that are not launched (I believe).  When you have that many additional aircraft scattered across the map diluting your overall % effectiveness at shooting down enemy aircraft, you can see how even shooting down 100% of an enemy CV's planes may not be enough, if you are so graced by their attention at all.

Understood about the catapult aircraft but the "not launched" part makes a lot less sense.  I opened a ticket with WG and one of the replies indicated that if they were never used, they didn't count.  That being said, I'm not entirely convinced by their response and have posted a follow-up question which basically asks them to tell me the total number of planes in the air for the duration of the battle.  

If you have 5 recharges of two catapult fighters (10 possible planes), but don't use all 5 charges, then the planes that stayed in the launcher shouldn't count.

I used to get clear skies achievements all the time (USN CV, Cleveland, Des Moines player), but since they made the change I have only gotten it once.  Big grats for anyone who managed to get a clear skies since the relevant update: you earned it.

Regardless of it all, I appreciate your sentiments.  Being that I suck at CV's, I never had much hope for attaining that achievement, but I'm really glad to check it off of my list.

thanks,

b

[REVY]
Members
8,099 posts
6,118 battles

Understood about the catapult aircraft but the "not launched" part makes a lot less sense.  I opened a ticket with WG and one of the replies indicated that if they were never used, they didn't count.  That being said, I'm not entirely convinced by their response and have posted a follow-up question which basically asks them to tell me the total number of planes in the air for the duration of the battle.  

If you have 5 recharges of two catapult fighters (10 possible planes), but don't use all 5 charges, then the planes that stayed in the launcher shouldn't count.

But what about launched catapult fighters that weren't shot down, but landed safety?  They are only up there for a minute and a half.

[YIKES]
Members
3,880 posts
23,715 battles

Gratz! Got mine in a....... Hosho like a week ago, twice in a row against Langley.

[5IN]
Members
2,106 posts
10,180 battles

But what about launched catapult fighters that weren't shot down, but landed safety?  They are only up there for a minute and a half.

That's a good point, and the WG response wasn't very clear on that.  

If the data is not contained in the replay (and my gut tell's me that it is not), then they should have the data on their servers, right?  I know that logic and reality are not always in sync, but if I were in WG's place, every single bit of data for every match would be contained in a database.  Yes, I know we are talking a lot of data here, but I still feel it would be worthwhile to collect.  Maybe not for public view, but certainly for internal purposes, as well as support issues.

I'm not really arguing with them in order to obtain another Achievement, but more for clarification of how the requirements truly work. 

I'm sure someone would argue with this, but I really believe that Clear Sky should be a heroic achievement.   

thanks,

b

Members
2,113 posts
32,617 battles

congrats...I have somewhere north of 6500 battles and finally got Clear Sky yesterday- thanks to the Cleve and having a Ranger and Independence on the other side. 51 shot down.

Edited by hofmannsc