Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MutzLivesMatter

For those rank 1 players, how did you get it?

30 comments in this topic

[WAIFU]
Members
91 posts
4,266 battles

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Stuck at rank 4, won 5 games yesterday smoothly, no loss, today, 2 smooth wins, then a loss, then another win that I have to carry, then 2 horrible losses. Can someone explain and help?

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
650 posts
12,502 battles

Patience is a virtue. I ranked out early and think doing so avoided a lot of potato teams.

[--K--]
Members
5,392 posts
17,924 battles

Haven't got Rank 1 Yet this season but since I got R1 last season I feel I can answer this question.

You need patience, skill and a large amount of luck.

But when all that fails go with bribery.

:trollface: 

[WAIFU]
Members
91 posts
4,266 battles

Patience is a virtue. I ranked out early and think doing so avoided a lot of potato teams.

yeah i have to start at rank 16............. then rank 6 was a pain in the but t to go up....... lots potato caught up i guess

Members
20 posts
5,729 battles

Playing the Kiev, so you're SOL :trollface:

Seriously, it's patience. You'll have days where you'll play for five hours and not gain a star, and then days like you had yesterday where it comes easy. It's frustrating, but that's how it goes.

One thing in the game you can do, though, is don't play to keep your star. I started using the Sims because it was so easy to get top XP, but even though I was top XP in half my losses, all I did was lose, so I still went backwards. Switched to the Kiev, played unselfishly, and even though I was only top XP something like 10% of the time, I just kept winning and winning. So if you have a ship that you're good in but don't see yourself topping the scoreboard at the end of the battle, don't be afraid to try it.

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles

Some Captains have posted how they did it. If you don't find an answer here, I'd manually scroll down through General Discussion.

For me, it wasn't anything special that I did

I played the ships that I am good at.

Played at different times/days to find a better caliber of teams.

NO WEEKEND PLAY!!!!!!!!

I stopped playing when I was having a losing streak.

I kept playing when I had a winning streak.

Know when to stop and when to keep playing.

RANKED BATTLES HAVE LITTLE TO DO WITH SKILL AND MORE TO DO WITH PERSEVERANCE!

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 2

Members
11,026 posts
30,507 battles

Set and follow quotas.

Number 1 priority for me is avoiding tilt.

Drop below starting point? As soon as you get back, done for the day.

Drop so far you're down to yesterday's starting point? Done for the day.

3 stars? Out.

Edited by issm
  • Cool 1

[SF-3]
Beta Testers
594 posts
8,966 battles

Variance exists. MM is not done by player skill, only by ship type, and even then I have seen multiple instances of one team being +2 belfasts over the other. In my case, it took me 49 games to reach rank 2, then another 13 games to go from rank 2 to rank 1. Even if MM balanced by player skill as best as it could, people have off games and off days. There will always be variance in results. Keep moving forward and you will reach rank 1.

Beta Testers
2,440 posts
8,653 battles

I won more than I lost. :smart_fish:

But yeah, the advice above is valid. I played a ship I knew quite well and refused to play anything else. I tried to play to its strengths as much as I could while also staying a team player. I rarely topped the leaderboard past rank 5 partly because I wasn't in a Sims and partly because when I did focus on support it enabled teammates to get better scores.

Other than that, I banged my head against the wall repeatedly. It took me 18 games from 2.0 to ranking out on one day. This was actually only slightly worse than I projected, as a 66% win rate gaining 5 stars would normally need 15 games.

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles

180 matches.

110 - going from rank 17 to 3.  Yay.

70 - stuck at rank 3 then falling back down to rank 5.  Wtaf.

I just yolo every match now.  Dgaf.

EDIT:  Forum, why does half my post keep disappearing every time I post?

Edited by Kuckoo

[CASUL]
Members
256 posts
3,751 battles

71 matches from absolute bottom to rank 10. After hitting 10, couldn't really see the point of doing the grind up the ladder. Still needed to tier up a couple other lines of ships so went and did that instead.

The rank/star system basically lead to burnout once you run out of safety nets. An ELO based system would work a lot better IMHO. 

[BARF]
Beta Testers
5,816 posts
5,484 battles

Patience is not a factor. I am at 350 battles and in the last week my average WR plummeted from 55% to 51%. 

It's beginning to get demoralizing that I see AFKERS get to rank 5 and higher while I am trying to climb a lubricated ladder

Play the Sims, rank out in under 100 matches.

​Tried that, gave up after seeing my team get curb stomped heavily twice in a row

[WG-CC]
-Members-
385 posts
4,941 battles

I got Rank 1 because I grabbed my destroyer and focused on support style and objective based gameplay.  Ranked gameplay depends SO much on destroyers and sometimes you need to take matters into your own hands and do what needs to be done, to be a good supporting player. 

Beta Testers
562 posts
3,511 battles

I did it by limiting myself to 10 matches a night from start to finish, every day, except for weekends. The weekends I called "sanity re-builder nights". With these two ships that now fly the Jolly Roger flag:

1OxKxEm.jpg

and this one:

8mXnpau.jpg

I got a lot of flak, especially in the premier league for taking my Pensacola into battle instead of my Belfast, but I actually perform better with my Pensacola. There was a funny trend that happened for a while; every time someone said something negative about my Pensacola on the other team I usually managed to sink them that game. If it was a teammate they were usually on the other team the next game, and sunk by her. :honoring:

Edited by Stonehammers

Members
378 posts
14,315 battles

i am just flat out snake bit every season in ranked. no matter how well i play i cant get out of rank 10. 43 matches & i'm still there.  tried being passive, aggressive, and in between. dont know what else i can do, i'm out of ideas & patience...

why%20i%20quit1_2.jpg

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
5,664 posts
4,472 battles

I've found that I make silly mistakes when I'm in a bad mood, and it's easy to get frustrated in Ranked. When I get two losses in a row, I either take a break and do something else, or just call it a day. When your team starts falling apart and the chances of pulling it back are slim, you should try to stay alive for as long as possible to increase your XP count. Hopefully if you lose, you at least won't lose a star.

I also found that warming up is a must. The Scharnhorst is my ship of choice for Ranked, and I take it out into a match of Randoms to warm up. If I play poorly, I don't go into Ranked.

I'm two stars away from ranking out, and I'm hoping to do so by Wednesday.

• Cool 1

[MPIRE]
[MPIRE]
Members
1,662 posts
24,160 battles

i am just flat out snake bit every season in ranked. no matter how well i play i cant get out of rank 10. 43 matches & i'm still there.  tried being passive, aggressive, and in between. dont know what else i can do, i'm out of ideas & patience...

I got to the premier league in the first week or so.  I'm still here bouncing around 4.2.  I hate ranked.

Members
3,284 posts

I've found that I make silly mistakes when I'm in a bad mood, and it's easy to get frustrated in Ranked. When I get two losses in a row, I either take a break and do something else, or just call it a day. When your team starts falling apart and the chances of pulling it back are slim, you should try to stay alive for as long as possible to increase your XP count. Hopefully if you lose, you at least won't lose a star.

I also found that warming up is a must. The Scharnhorst is my ship of choice for Ranked, and I take it out into a match of Randoms to warm up. If I play poorly, I don't go into Ranked.

I'm two stars away from ranking out, and I'm hoping to do so by Wednesday.

Good luck, friend.
Edited by anonym_OlK73e329bMY

Beta Testers
143 posts

I did it in the simple way, limiting myself to play a single rank a day, and if i lose 3 in a row, i also stopped. I was playing 3-4 days a week in ranked, cause it's not always fun, as some people aren't there for the team. (And they wonder why they didn't rank out after 500 battles) Since T7 isn't a Tier i like to play at all (I'm a T8+ kind of player after all), it took me more battles than usual this season. Seasons at T8, it takes me 90 to 150 battles in Amagi and i'm done. This season, it took me 279 with about 200 in Nagato (yes, i'm the Nagato that likes to snipe smokes), because the meta at T7 isn't the same as T8, so i felt out of position a lot due to me playing almost exclusively T8s and above. 

Also, for those asking, playing on weekeneds in ranked isn't that bad, you need to make understand your teams that it's a team mode, not like randoms where some of us can be damage [edited]...

[GGWP]
[GGWP]
Members
1,628 posts
10,880 battles

I think for me its weekend play wrecking me. Manged to get down to 3.3 before the weekend. Saturday had a bit of luck got to 2.4, then craphit the fan Saturday evening and all Sunday. Now I am back to 3.3. Its really heart breaking, played 3 or 4 games at 2.4 before finally losing a star. Going to swear off Sunday's in ranked and go back to getting +2 stars per day, then quitting after first loss.

[SYN]
Beta Testers
21 posts
7,092 battles

It looks like you need to get there within the first few weeks, after that it is hard. I went from rank 6 to 12 in the last 6 days, I just keep getting soo many potato teams. DD's that run into the cap, smoke for themselves and sit there, while the rest of the team gets hammered and dies. My blacklist is getting bigger. If I play DD's then it seems I get BB's that are not good. That does not mean that I do not make mistakes myself but the first few weeks I noticed lots of communication, calling targets, calling hydro and radar, etc., now, it is like pulling teeth to even get if we are going A or B? It just seems like in the first few weeks you have to fly up and then you almost have to just sit there and not play ranked at the end.

I am at my wits end, if I play BB's I do not get smoke and die from fire/focused or if I play the Belfast and get focused and if I smoke they just wait out the smoke and then die because I could not even get to an island. I really think everyone should be back to rank 20 every season, that would stop the ranked 1's from climbing quickly and avoiding the players that are not as good.

Sign in to follow this