You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Peregrinas

Thoughts on this ranked season and future seasons

Thoughts on this ranked season and future seasons  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Which ranked seasons have you played in past rank 15?

• First
    • Second
    • Third
    • Fourth
    • Fifth
    • Sixth (current)
    • I haven't played past rank 15 in any season
  2. 2. Which season do you think was the worst (excluding the first since it was barely played)?

• Second
    • Third
    • Fourth
    • Fifth
    • Sixth (current)
  3. 3. Which tier should future seasons be (for ranks 15-2)?

4. 4. For this season, do/did you think it was fair to have all of the radar ships be premiums?

• Yes
    • No
  5. 5. Regarding the smoke+radar meta of this season, should WG refrain from adding more ships with smoke (besides DDs)?

• Yes
    • No
  6. 6. Regarding matchmaking, should MM take into account ship consumables as well? Example: No more games with two Fijis against two Belfasts

• Yes
    • No

24 comments in this topic

[SCCC]
Members
3,177 posts
12,771 battles

Just to see what everyone thinks. I tried to make the poll unbiased, let me know if something needs changing.

• Cool 2

Members
509 posts
14,126 battles

Added my vote.  Though I will say I enjoyed season 2 the most, it was a bit nostalgic I will admit but there was less over use of smoke and more spotting.

Members
571 posts
4,646 battles

in all honesty i had no clue what WG were thinking having rank be at tier 7, seriously its one of the most unbalance tiers right now due to how strong certain prems and regular tech tree ships are

Members
739 posts
7,780 battles

Would also like a different progression method, I dont think that this win/lose mechanic encourages good play.

You should always be looking to do the best you can, win or lose, so why do the ranks reward winning? shouldn't they simply reward doing well?

I think that we need to tweak the system somewhat, a 1500+ base XP loss really should count as a win, YOU DID WELL, just because your 2 DDs sat in smoke and ate an all you can torp buffet, your BB was afk and some other guy had a mediocre game in his sims (and still got more XP than you)..... should you really be punished?

[WAIFU]
Members
1,247 posts
6,540 battles

in all honesty i had no clue what WG were thinking having rank be at tier 7, seriously its one of the most unbalance tiers right now due to how strong certain prems and regular tech tree ships are

What are you talking about? Tier 7 is probably the most balanced tier, with the exception of Belfast, which is kind of OP for the Rank meta. All BBs were valid choices, same for DDs. Cruiser balance is where it hurts a little, but it's still better than during the previous seasons, where only Atago was a viable choice. Fiji is more than decent, Myoko is solid, although I think her playstyle doesn't fit the static meta of Ranked battles, Shchors can have her moments, and Yorck... is Yorck. The lack of Radar on tech tree ship sure hurts them a little though, but as I said, they are still way more balanced than tier 8 are. Maybe you don't remember the 4 Bismarck, 3 Benson battles. Because I do. The meta just shifted to a more cruiser heavy one.

[SONUM]
Beta Testers
577 posts
3,843 battles

The XP bonus on Sims and the bonus CVs get for shooting planes can completely negate all the effort you put towards keeping that star.

Belfast is annoying and tends to make no man's land. But more annoyed that XP modifiers with no impact on the match overwrite good efforts towards keeping the star.

[SALVO]
Members
25,427 posts
27,347 battles

The XP bonus on Sims and the bonus CVs get for shooting planes can completely negate all the effort you put towards keeping that star.

Belfast is annoying and tends to make no man's land. But more annoyed that XP modifiers with no impact on the match overwrite good efforts towards keeping the star.

Honestly, you sound too concerned with "keeping" a star than you do with actually winning!

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,065 posts
22,585 battles

I've had to "twist my tail" to get into ranked every season because I find the competition a bit too stressful. I say it every season but I think this one is my last. I just don't have fun. It isn't that I don't play my heart out but that I am distressed thinking I might have a derpy moment and fail the team.

The team concept is a hollow structure in Ranked. You are only a "team" in name while in the match. Then you role into another "team" for the next match. Much the same as Random with more to lose.

I'll stick with Random and enjoy the results - win or lose - without the stress due to playing with teams of captains I've not had time to build teamwork with...

BTW, this was a good, unbiased poll Op. +1

Members
11,026 posts
30,427 battles

Wargaming needs to make up it's mind what it wants ranked to be: Either an actual ranked ladder, in which case, remove "ranking out", or if they want it to be a grind for rewards, in which case, get rid of this whole stars nonsense and just implement a series of challenges.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,697 battles

Wargaming needs to make up it's mind what it wants ranked to be: Either an actual ranked ladder, in which case, remove "ranking out", or if they want it to be a grind for rewards, in which case, get rid of this whole stars nonsense and just implement a series of challenges.

Not often I agree Issm, but on this one I do. Just a hodgepodge mess.

Add in, I think they should do tier 5 or 6 for the whole way down. Not too many ships I can think of in those tiers that scream OP either. Most are actually pretty balanced.

[DALE]
Members
98 posts
16,770 battles

My main issue is that they didn't have a non-revocable at 5. Got to five in the second week and 100 battles later still trying to get back there.....should have been done with this about about 100 battles or so, not 350 and still going.

Edited by CalicoBill

[WG-CC]
-Members-
385 posts
4,941 battles

I would actually like to try a Ranked Season with Tier 9s. Think it could be fun. 

Beta Testers
2,440 posts
8,653 battles

I actually thought this season wasn't as doom and gloom as everyone seems to think. Yes, I still think it was the worst.

My only beefs were with the Belfast and Sims. Belfast is only OP due to the tier 8 upgrade slot in my opinion as without it, it's just a different Fiji. Sims is just a get out of jail free card.

I don't think it was fair to only have premium cruisers have access to radar, but I'm not too broken up about it.

As for more smoke, I voted yes as I feel that new CL lines will likely be more traditional that don't require smoke at least in the current sense. Something with Perth-like smokes may be interesting to see.

As for MM, it should have cared about separating ships. Not because of consumables (although it would be a result of this), but because it would promote more balance if the same exact ship were as evenly distributed as possible.

For the record, my number two worst season goes to season 2. Pretty much only because of the ship I used, the pre-nerf Kiev when it was introduced. Note that it was a tier 8 max season and I did it pretty much solely with a tier 7.

Members
5 posts
4,275 battles

My main problems with this season is the match making and the win/lose scenario.  Just got thru playing a round and we had two Colorado's and no radar and they had an Atlanta and Belfast along with no Colorado's.  We got our butts handed to us because it was so out of balance.  One of the Colorados should have been on the other team and either the Belfast or the Atlanta should have been on opposite sides.  The battle was over before it started.  Match making has really sucked!!!!

As for the win/lose scenario, I believe it should be depend on how the player does.  Have ranking up based on experience earned.  It could have bonuses for being in the top 3, not dying and for a team win.  It is too dependent on whether you get teamed up with other good players who are out to win rather than several people just getting on to play ranked.  Some of us really try hard to win but and gain rank and such but get teamed up with players who really doesn't care or doesn't know how to play.  I know nothing can be done about those who don't care but something could be done to place novice players with experienced players. 

At this point, I am probably not going to play ranked anymore.  After reaching 9 and almost making 8, I am back to 11 and after I don't know how many battles (I know it has been many) now, I can't get back there and tired of even trying. 

[SONUM]
Beta Testers
577 posts
3,843 battles

Honestly, you sound too concerned with "keeping" a star than you do with actually winning!

When the enemy gets 3 Belfast's and I pull my Shirat weight and cap and spot but a Sims hits a few times to save their star you bet I'm salty.

[SQUAD]
Members
9,172 posts
11,680 battles

Overwhelmingly, the poll shows what we already knew: WG did this season very, very wrong. And not even the whole story is present, such as the lackluster rewards.

[SQUAD]
Members
9,172 posts
11,680 battles

When the enemy gets 3 Belfast's and I pull my Shirat weight and cap and spot but a Sims hits a few times to save their star you bet I'm salty.

I feel your pain. Sims has a base xp modifier built into the ship itself. Sims gets a lot for doing nothing at all. I'd know, I'm using mine to grind through the various base xp missions.

[SQUAD]
Members
9,172 posts
11,680 battles

My main problems with this season is the match making and the win/lose scenario.  Just got thru playing a round and we had two Colorado's and no radar and they had an Atlanta and Belfast along with no Colorado's.  We got our butts handed to us because it was so out of balance.  One of the Colorados should have been on the other team and either the Belfast or the Atlanta should have been on opposite sides.  The battle was over before it started.  Match making has really sucked!!!!

As for the win/lose scenario, I believe it should be depend on how the player does.  Have ranking up based on experience earned.  It could have bonuses for being in the top 3, not dying and for a team win.  It is too dependent on whether you get teamed up with other good players who are out to win rather than several people just getting on to play ranked.  Some of us really try hard to win but and gain rank and such but get teamed up with players who really doesn't care or doesn't know how to play.  I know nothing can be done about those who don't care but something could be done to place novice players with experienced players. 

At this point, I am probably not going to play ranked anymore.  After reaching 9 and almost making 8, I am back to 11 and after I don't know how many battles (I know it has been many) now, I can't get back there and tired of even trying. 

This guy just summed up the whole season, his reasons are the same reasons most of us stopped playing.

[SQUAD]
Members
9,172 posts
11,680 battles

For a change, I agree with this guy. I swear it'll be the last time this year I do. :P

Alpha Tester
1,478 posts
3,268 battles

I honestly really liked the idea of a tier 7 ranked Battles, its just a shame the bellfast and scharnhorst messed with the meta soo badly.

Its a real shame i think. 

[FOXEH]
Members
1,931 posts
12,337 battles

What are you talking about? Tier 7 is probably the most balanced tier, with the exception of Belfast, which is kind of OP for the Rank meta. All BBs were valid choices, same for DDs. Cruiser balance is where it hurts a little, but it's still better than during the previous seasons, where only Atago was a viable choice. Fiji is more than decent, Myoko is solid, although I think her playstyle doesn't fit the static meta of Ranked battles, Shchors can have her moments, and Yorck... is Yorck. The lack of Radar on tech tree ship sure hurts them a little though, but as I said, they are still way more balanced than tier 8 are. Maybe you don't remember the 4 Bismarck, 3 Benson battles. Because I do. The meta just shifted to a more cruiser heavy one.

Wanna fix the radar issue?  Give radar to every ship with a radar aerial on it, just base the strength of a radar based on historical levels.  A DD won't have the same range as one on a BB, simply because the space requirement for the equipment would be much much larger the more powerful a radar was.  That would change the dynamic for the Belfast real quick.  

Edited by comtedumas

[SCCC]
Members
3,177 posts
12,771 battles

I honestly really liked the idea of a tier 7 ranked Battles, its just a shame the bellfast and scharnhorst messed with the meta soo badly.

Its a real shame i think. 

I don't think Scharnhorst messed anything up, as pretty much all of the BBs were viable. Belfast, on the other hand...

Members
739 posts
7,780 battles

I used to think this..... but tbh its the only way to break out of certain brackets, played 9 hours of BBs just to end up right back where I started; Started playing the sims, lose 3 then win 1 but I'm still ahead because I was first loser 3x in a row....

Its bad for game-play tbh because I do so much more in my BBs... but sometimes the team you're dealt is just meant to lose, or at least they sure make it feel that way... THIS is what is wrong with ranked tbh... not the tier and not the belfast.

[4-FUN]
Alpha Tester
331 posts

Yeah, its just way too much of a grind.   Got to tier 5, then almost not stop losses since then, and I am back to 8.   

Yesterday about 6-7 loss's vs 1 win.   I was 2nd or 3rd in almost every game......so still screwed.   Terrible losses too, only 1-3 enemy ships died.  eg, nothing I could have done.

I think tanks has  a MUCH better idea with their upcoming ranked battles.  Top 2-3 players on loosing team don't loose a star.   Bottom 2-3 players on winning team don't gain a star.   Granted, its a 15 person team, but that meta is way way more fair.

Giving up on ranked in this mode, its just too much of a pointless grind.

Edited by arrrgh