You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
RivertheRoyal

So, about that Alabama....

68 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Privateers
6,266 posts
3,308 battles

Now, I wasn't here for that big Alabama-gate stuff, but looking back at it from what's mostly an outsider's point of view, I've come to a bit of a conclusion about it. 

Didn't Wargaming always intend to release Alabama to everyone, not just the Supertesters?

I mean, it just seems like that would be the reasonable assumption here. It's just that people heard about the Supertester version first, and assumed that only the ST's were getting the ship. One thing led to another, and things exploded well out of proportion.  

This is just my impression looking back on that mess. I know some will say otherwise, but that's what I think. 

I'm kinda writing this post for a bit of another reason though. I've seen some people making comments about the release of the Alabama, and concerns over her defects. 

Now, no ship is perfect, and I'm going to be waiting for the more official reviews before making a judgment on how good a ship the Alabama will be. That being said, some seem to have already resigned her as being a stinker. Again, we don't really know yet. From what I've seen thus far though, the thoughts about her among those who have tested her seem to be fairly polarized.

Please don't flame me for saying this, but hasn't this whole thing been blown slightly out of proportions? Shouldn't we wait at least a little longer before taking out the pitchforks and torches? Or, can we just leave them out of this in the first place? 

Members
6,168 posts
7,861 battles

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. Multiple people pointed out that data miners had found two separate entries for Alabama, which wouldn't exist if WG wasnt planning to have two different versions released.

Edited by GhostSwordsman
  • Cool 2

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

Now, I wasn't here for that big Alabama-gate stuff, but looking back at it from what's mostly an outsider's point of view, I've come to a bit of a conclusion about it. 

Didn't Wargaming always intend to release Alabama to everyone, not just the Supertesters?

I mean, it just seems like that would be the reasonable assumption here. It's just that people heard about the Supertester version first, and assumed that only the ST's were getting the ship. One thing led to another, and things exploded well out of proportion.  

This is just my impression looking back on that mess. I know some will say otherwise, but that's what I think. 

I'm kinda writing this post for a bit of another reason though. I've seen some people making comments about the release of the Alabama, and concerns over her defects. 

Now, no ship is perfect, and I'm going to be waiting for the more official reviews before making a judgment on how good a ship the Alabama will be. That being said, some seem to have already resigned her as being a stinker. Again, we don't really know yet. From what I've seen thus far though, the thoughts about her among those who have tested her seem to be fairly polarized.

Please don't flame me for saying this, but hasn't this whole thing been blown slightly out of proportions? Shouldn't we wait at least a little longer before taking out the pitchforks and torches? Or, can we just leave them out of this in the first place? 

Originally, WG didn't say that there was going to be a non-ST version of the Alabama. Just that they were releasing the ship as a reward for supertesters that have contributed a lot to the program. 

As it turns out, a lot of people don't like the supertesters, which caused the world to explode for some when they were "exclusively" getting a highly requested ship. WG later clarified, or acquiesced possibly, and announced that there would be a consumer Alabama for our sailing pleasure.

But yes, people need to take a chill pill. 

[-K--]
Members
3,075 posts
6,658 battles

Correct. She had two camouflage files well before Trevzor made the official announcement. The ST ship was leaked and that's what started it. Well, that and rank stupidity.

I'm expecting epic levels of molten salt. Anything less than an immaculate boat is going to make certain people very angry. Just ignore it.

• Cool 2

[SYN]
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,705 battles

So much salt over a ship that really didn't do jack. Now had it been say Enterprise, yeah I'd of flipped.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Privateers, In AlfaTesters
7,775 posts
2,137 battles

Yup. The community at large learned about the ST version, went ballistic over it, and there was a witch-hunt over ST's... Very messy.

And yeah, people ignored everyone who pointed out there were two Alabamas.

To be fair, WG did screw up by not clarifying that there was a second Alabama for everyone beyond the At one... But then Again, they probably didn't forsee the sh*tstorm that was going to happen, and didn't think they needed to announce the regular premium so far in advance.

[HINON]
7,775 posts
2,137 battles

So much salt over a ship that really didn't do jack. Now had it been say Enterprise, yeah I'd of flipped.

Honestly, I would've been more interested in Massachusetts for a SouDak, given her history... And it would've been hugely ironic, given we're getting French Cruisers soon

[SYN]
[SYN]
30,523 posts
5,705 battles

Honestly, I would've been more interested in Massachusetts for a SouDak, given her history... And it would've been hugely ironic, given we're getting French Cruisers soon

Should of done "STs are getting Massachusetts, everyone can get Alabama". Problem solved. Though some who wanted the Massachusetts would if been ticked, but you can't please everyone.

[HINON]
Privateers
6,266 posts
3,308 battles

Should of done "STs are getting Massachusetts, everyone can get Alabama". Problem solved. Though some who wanted the Massachusetts would if been ticked, but you can't please everyone.

Nah, everybody wants everyone else to be exactly equal. That would have started up the "but it's a different ship that I can't get!" stuff. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
30,523 posts
5,705 battles

Nah, everybody wants everyone else to be exactly equal. That would have started up the "but it's a different ship that I can't get!" stuff. 

True. I hate the players who don't want to lift a finger or drop a dime, but want everything handed to them.

[HINON]
Privateers
6,266 posts
3,308 battles

True. I hate the players who don't want to lift a finger or drop a dime, but want everything handed to them.

Unfortunately, they hate those that won't let them have everything. Something something entitlement. 

Members
2,614 posts
3,604 battles

I'm expecting epic levels of molten salt. Anything less than an immaculate boat is going to make certain people very angry. Just ignore it.

This is the level of salt I am expecting over it. After seeing the reaction to the Alabama-ST announcement... Salar de Uyuni.

Uyuni_landsat.JPG

Edited by twitch133

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,165 posts
5,833 battles

Question: Does the ST Alabama have different stats than the regular Alabama?  If so, is the former better stat-wise than the latter?

[HINON]
Privateers
6,266 posts
3,308 battles

Question: Does the ST Alabama have different stats than the regular Alabama?  If so, is the former better stat-wise than the latter?

No. From my understanding, only the camo is different along with the ship being called Alabama ST. Otherwise, they are the same ship. 

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,165 posts
5,833 battles

No. From my understanding, only the camo is different along with the ship being called Alabama ST. Otherwise, they are the same ship. 

Hmmmmmm...

I recall seeing that there is a high WR for the Alabama ST.  Is it because the Supertesters are more experienced than the rest of us...or is the ship not actually as bad as people like to make it?

[HINON]
7,775 posts
2,137 battles

Hmmmmmm...

I recall seeing that there is a high WR for the Alabama ST.  Is it because the Supertesters are more experienced than the rest of us...or is the ship not actually as bad as people like to make it?

A combination of both

[HINON]
Privateers
6,266 posts
3,308 battles

Hmmmmmm...

People like to forget that Wargaming's normally pretty good about balancing ships.

Sure, there have been some screw-ups along the way. But if they give a ship some weaknesses, it's normally because it has other things to balance it out.

And yeah, the supertesters are normally pretty good players as well.

Like I said in the OP, I'm reserving judgement until the actual reviews start coming out. Those should have good, solid data and experience behind them.   

[---]
Banned
6,739 posts
9,048 battles

This right here amuses the hell out of me. the ONLY claim to fame big A has is *drumroll* being a boyscout destination... 

[SQUAD]
Members
9,176 posts
11,680 battles

Lol ikr? Massy made hulks out of those French crooz0rz.

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,091 posts
7,978 battles

I don't know why there was such a riot over Alabama but not over the other ships the normal costumer will never get. Sure there are some people who want an Iwaki and an Arkansas, but the amount of salt coming from this Alaam discussion was above any measurement. People heard 'an Alabama for STs is coming' and they started to imagine 'so you will never get one MUAHAHAHAHAHA. ST masterrace!!!!' as well.

Members
2,997 posts
1,449 battles

I don't know why there was such a riot over Alabama but not over the other ships the normal costumer will never get. Sure there are some people who want an Iwaki and an Arkansas, but the amount of salt coming from this Alaam discussion was above any measurement. People heard 'an Alabama for STs is coming' and they started to imagine 'so you will never get one MUAHAHAHAHAHA. ST masterrace!!!!' as well.

Cuz no one really gives 2 rats asses about some washed up old, piece of crappre WWI hunk of scrap metal.  But the Alabama?  yeah, its a pretty big ship I guess.  It isnt a museum ship and attracts alot of people each year and stuff.....

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,091 posts
7,978 battles

Cuz no one really gives 2 rats asses about some washed up old, piece of crappre WWI hunk of scrap metal.  But the Alabama?  yeah, its a pretty big ship I guess.  It isnt a museum ship and attracts alot of people each year and stuff.....

Let me translate: 'my patriotic side does not allow it that someone gets something that is related to the history of my glorious country. I won't listen to things like reason or patience, I must act before all the details are revealed!'

Close enough

[-K--]
Members
3,075 posts
6,658 battles

Let me translate: 'my patriotic side does not allow it that someone gets something that is related to the history of my glorious country. I won't listen to things like reason or patience, I must act before all the details are revealed!'

Close enough

LOL

That retort is a few months late. :teethhappy:

Members
2,072 posts
2,712 battles

Simply put: That old fiasco was a nasty time for this forum for either side of the argument.

Edited by Rion12

[NSF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,304 posts
9,284 battles

You mean the part where WG backpedaled as hard as possible after multiple WG employees on several servers stated without a shadow of a doubt that the ship was never going to be sold to players.

Maybe they did plan on selling it eventually, but a few WG people chose to really, REALLY poorly word their responses, hence the [edited]fest that ensued.