You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Prushn

Starting the Kirov

25 comments in this topic

Members
790 posts
6,339 battles

Well I'm stepping in to cruisers just to see how they play. So far I've pretty much played nothing but BBs so this is kind of new. I've played some low tier cruisers this past week and start the Kirov tonight. Any advice or insights you might have will be greatly appreciated. Have a great weekend!

P.

• Cool 1

[KMS2]
Members
10,919 posts
3,695 battles

As with any cruiser, showing your broadside is death. Also, make sure to take advantage of the Kirov's 180mm guns, they're pretty heavy hitting.

[CK5]
Members
1,462 posts
15,519 battles

In addition to never showing your broadside, you will need to learn when to use HE vs AP.  With battleships, it pretty much is AP all day, but cruisers will require some decisions on when to switch to HE.  I usually start each match with HE for long range shooting but switch to AP when other cruisers get close.  If the broadside shot against another cruiser is not there, however, quickly switch back to HE. 

• Cool 1

Members
790 posts
6,339 battles

Yeah I was looking at the tech data for the ship. the guns seem good but it lacks AA it seems and the torps are miserable. Play it as a distance sniper against DDs and Cruisers and keep moving?

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Use AP a lot on other T5 cruisers. It's not uncommon for a Kirov to delete an Omaha from 100% HP, because its AP alpha is pretty remarkable. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
236 posts
6,748 battles

I Just passed the Kirov, but i kept it because i really enjoyed this ship. Its AP is awesome, but in order to do well with this ship u need to know how to position urself. If a BB aims at u, run and wiggle. The ship is very fragile. Take use of ur range, it is better than most of the other tier 5 cruiser. What i used to do was stay behind the BBs, and spam HE at the enemy BBs. If a cruiser shows up switch to AP and punish it. Using situational awarenees skill is a must.

Edited by demeflac

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,090 posts
22,668 battles

Well I'm stepping in to cruisers just to see how they play. So far I've pretty much played nothing but BBs so this is kind of new. I've played some low tier cruisers this past week and start the Kirov tonight. Any advice or insights you might have will be greatly appreciated. Have a great weekend!

P.

Sniping DD's at range won't be all that effective. Definitely stay to the rear with the BB's in the Kirov though and use their HE to set other BB on fire. (You know the feeling well, right?) You should always try to use AP on cruisers that are broadside to you but HE will burn them just as effectively.

Just curious - why Russian cruisers and not German cruisers? The Konigsberg is one mean cruiser at T5. She may not have the range or alpha strike of the Kirov but she can do wicked damage with her AP. Admittedly, she isn't great with HE but I have set numerous fires with her regardless.

ih0Ixy8.jpg

Admittedly, not all are this good but I've had great success with this ship. And she has torps that can actually be effective.

Anyway, good luck Prushn! Have fun with whatever ship and sink some...

• Cool 1

[STW]
Members
103 posts
3,420 battles

Like everyone else said, make sure to use AP on those broadside cruisers. And never show your own broadside, not even to a DD. (They can citadel you with AP)

Stay at range, guns have great handling and your a very fast target that can be hard to hit if you stay back a little. 

Use HE on battleships most of the time, but if you do get under 10km and they show broadside you can switch to AP and land 5000+ hits if you aim at bow or area above the main armor belt where your shells can penetrate the weaker armor sections.

Members
790 posts
6,339 battles

Sniping DD's at range won't be all that effective. Definitely stay to the rear with the BB's in the Kirov though and use their HE to set other BB on fire. (You know the feeling well, right?) You should always try to use AP on cruisers that are broadside to you but HE will burn them just as effectively.

Just curious - why Russian cruisers and not German cruisers? The Konigsberg is one mean cruiser at T5. She may not have the range or alpha strike of the Kirov but she can do wicked damage with her AP. Admittedly, she isn't great with HE but I have set numerous fires with her regardless.

ih0Ixy8.jpg

Admittedly, not all are this good but I've had great success with this ship. And she has torps that can actually be effective.

Anyway, good luck Prushn! Have fun with whatever ship and sink some...

Hey there Khafni! Originally I was going to try the IJN line but after talking to my division mate it was decided to go Russian instead. I've pretty much left it up to him as to what to try because he has a lot more experience than I do. 

Awesome advice guys and man do I appreciate it! This will be fun and interesting and hopefully make me a better player, but nothing can replace my faithful Gneisenau :)

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
12,601 posts

Glass cannon, deadly AP. Not up to Graf's damage output, but still very nasty. Good arcs make putting shells on target from range easy.

• Cool 1

[WOLF8]
Members
614 posts
9,231 battles

Yeah I was looking at the tech data for the ship. the guns seem good but it lacks AA it seems and the torps are miserable. Play it as a distance sniper against DDs and Cruisers and keep moving?

You can upgrade to the B hull to increase the AA, but you'll be giving up the spotter plane...
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
12,588 posts
26,193 battles

Good guns but with slow reload. Has excellent top end speed but it also has BB like acceleration and maneuverability. Don't EVER show broadside, or your stern or bow for that matter(LOL),  to any enemy ship or you will be instadeleted. The ship is made of paper; no cotton gauze as paper is too tough(LOL). Stay at max range and never stop WASD'ing even for a second.

I love CL's, and the BRN ones are my favorite, so I am used to fragile ships but I detested Kirov. Couldn't live longer than 2 seconds in it. I know many like it and do well. I tip my hat to them. I could not make it work and it was not fun to play.

Good luck and I hope you are able to do well in it. And, I am serious about it taking damage and being wiped out from ANY angle.

• Cool 1

[_S_B_]
Members
477 posts
19,034 battles

BEWARE that the Kirov gets citadeled very easily. Might help to run signal flag for -100% chance of getting blown up early and I mean real early.:playing:  I focus on an enemy Kirov whenever I can when I'm in a BB. Good luck with her but she does have good guns and speed.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,090 posts
22,668 battles

Hey there Khafni! Originally I was going to try the IJN line but after talking to my division mate it was decided to go Russian instead. I've pretty much left it up to him as to what to try because he has a lot more experience than I do. 

Awesome advice guys and man do I appreciate it! This will be fun and interesting and hopefully make me a better player, but nothing can replace my faithful Gneisenau :)

If you can hang through the Kirov grind you'll find the Budyonny is a remarkable ship. Still a CL so the armor is still thin. The guns may not be as large a caliber as the Kirov but they shoot like lasers. If you have a captain with the Demolition Expert (or not) she will light up the enemy. She has a spotter that really boosts her range and since you have been used to BB spotters you will find aiming with it a natural. I rarely drive a BB and find the aiming with a spotter difficult (not enough practice) so I usually close the range and open fire.

Remember with any CL you have to dance, dance, dance.

• Cool 1

Members
790 posts
6,339 battles

If you can hang through the Kirov grind you'll find the Budyonny is a remarkable ship. Still a CL so the armor is still thin. The guns may not be as large a caliber as the Kirov but they shoot like lasers. If you have a captain with the Demolition Expert (or not) she will light up the enemy. She has a spotter that really boosts her range and since you have been used to BB spotters you will find aiming with it a natural. I rarely drive a BB and find the aiming with a spotter difficult (not enough practice) so I usually close the range and open fire.

Remember with any CL you have to dance, dance, dance.

Dance, roger that Sir :)

Members
790 posts
6,339 battles

Good guns but with slow reload. Has excellent top end speed but it also has BB like acceleration and maneuverability. Don't EVER show broadside, or your stern or bow for that matter(LOL),  to any enemy ship or you will be instadeleted. The ship is made of paper; no cotton gauze as paper is too tough(LOL). Stay at max range and never stop WASD'ing even for a second.

I love CL's, and the BRN ones are my favorite, so I am used to fragile ships but I detested Kirov. Couldn't live longer than 2 seconds in it. I know many like it and do well. I tip my hat to them. I could not make it work and it was not fun to play.

Good luck and I hope you are able to do well in it. And, I am serious about it taking damage and being wiped out from ANY angle.

So... you're saying be as invisible as I possibly can at all time :)

[WOLF8]
Members
614 posts
9,231 battles

I've got both, but prefer the more maneuverable Königsberg.   Its guns are lower caliber, but fire faster, and I've lost count on the citadels I dished out with her AP.  Her HE is not as good, but can still light fires.   Königsberg's main gun range is a tad longer (16.5 vs 16.2) and she has twice as many torps that travel 2k further.  She also has a fighter which is helpful in distracting the CV attack planes.  Also, having 2 rear turrets comes in handy when you are required to beat a hasty retreat...

Edited by Slammer58

[PVE]
Members
12,588 posts
26,193 battles

Ok, so let me ask this, Kirov or Königsberg?

​Hands down in a runaway Konigsberg( for me not trying to offend Kirov fans ). Not as fast but more maneuverable by a long shot, 2X's faster reload, actually has useable torps at 6km, and it's AP shells are excellent and will shred a Kirov. While neither ship is very tough armor wise Konigsberg is far more survivable than Kirov in my hands. Only edge I give Kirov is straight line speed and HE( KM HE stinks ). Kirov doesn't even get a range advantage over Konigsberg. Both are mid low 16km.

Konigsberg is one of my favorite ships overall so far while Kirov is my least favorite overall. I keep saying I should try Kirov again but then I break out in a cold sweat and get nauseous, remembering how bad it was, so I go take some antacid and laugh that foolish impulse off. :amazed:

Edited by AdmiralThunder

Members
790 posts
6,339 battles

So far I've now played both in coop mode. The Kirov I have is a B hull and the Konigsberg is A. I have to say the KB is by far more fun than the Kirov and the torps on the thing hit hard! As soon as i get the KB in to a B hull I'll take it in to randoms. My only problem is being over aggressive with them as my only real experience so far has been in BBs.

" I keep saying I should try Kirov again but then I break out in a cold sweat and get nauseous, remembering how bad it was, so I go take some antacid and laugh that foolish impulse off. " - Admiral, you crack me up :)

Members
790 posts
6,339 battles

Well my first time out in the Konigsberg. Nothing to write home about but better than I thought I'd do.

xEjNRFO.jpg

[PVE]
Members
12,588 posts
26,193 battles

So far I've now played both in coop mode. The Kirov I have is a B hull and the Konigsberg is A. I have to say the KB is by far more fun than the Kirov and the torps on the thing hit hard! As soon as i get the KB in to a B hull I'll take it in to randoms. My only problem is being over aggressive with them as my only real experience so far has been in BBs.

" I keep saying I should try Kirov again but then I break out in a cold sweat and get nauseous, remembering how bad it was, so I go take some antacid and laugh that foolish impulse off. " - Admiral, you crack me up :)

​I started out mostly playing Cruisers. Only dabbled in BB's a little bit( only had the KM T4 Kaiser for BB's for a long time ). I learned to be cautious in CL's, and that you constantly have to WASD, because one big hit and you are dead. So when I started to play more BB I was too cautious at first.

Then about a month or so ago the BB bug hit me in a big way and I now play mostly BB. Now, when I do go back to my CL's I find the same type of situation you talk of. I get a little carried away as I forget I don't have that BB armor. Takes me a while to remember I can't bow tank shots from BB's( or even a lot of CL )anymore and that rushing in on a couple ships is not wise without that armor and those big guns. I seem to find myself in a lot of situations where I have to scream at myself ... "run Forest run" :ohmy:

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[NYFP]
Members
86 posts
2,007 battles

I played through the Kirov by pretending it was a cruiser that deluded itself into thinking it was a smaller, armorless battleship. Hang back and pound other cruisers with those vicious 180 AP shells. Once you get to the Budyonny the playstyle changes somewhat, becoming more of a firebug than the Kirov with lower caliber but much faster firing guns. Use islands to shield yourself intelligently and you will have few problems.