Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Wye_So_Serious

Invisifre

5 comments in this topic

Members
2,097 posts
32,424 battles

Edit: There are other posts that discuss this as well in similar terms, I didn't read closely enough- my bad.

My opinion is removing it from the game is the "easy button" for the developers if it's just "hey you fire and you're detected." I don't play DD much and dislike it as much as anyone else who is it's victim but it does have a place in the game for DDs.

Perhaps they can develop some mechanic that is a combination of the size of the gun (bigger guns more detection obviously or so it would seem), rate of fire (the more you fire from the stealth window the more likely you will be detected) and the delta of range vs detection after firing.

I don't think anyone knows how they will achieve it, I just hope it isn't the easy way out. Again, my opinion, is the larger ships (Zao for example) need to be much more detectable after firing, that's a no brainer. DDs on the other hand still need some level of stealth but no so much that they can remain stealthy for extended periods of time just spamming HE on a ship to the point it is effectively defenseless.

I guess we will all find out soon enough.

Edited by hofmannsc

Members
2,614 posts
3,604 battles

Those mechanics are, for the most part, already in the game. The detection penalty, for most ships, is directly tied to the caliber of the gun. I cannot remember the formula though.

The only part of your suggestion that is not already in the game is the increasing detection penalty for longer periods of sustained fire.

From what I understand, is the new detection penalty is going to be what is should have been all along. (Detection range after firing a main caliber gun = current firing range.) This will take into account range modifiers such as the spotter plane. Really a simple and elegant solution.

Edit, after a little bit of digging in game, it seems as most ships follow the formula that detection range is increased by 30 meters per millimeter of gun caliber. (There are exceptions such as German and Soviet DD's)

Edited by twitch133

Members
2,097 posts
32,424 battles

What I meant was as they adjust, make further detection adjustments to the existing detection model based on caliber penalizing the larger guns much more than the smaller guns. No I was not clear.

Members
2,614 posts
3,604 battles

What I meant was as they adjust, make further detection adjustments to the existing detection model based on caliber penalizing the larger guns much more than the smaller guns. No I was not clear.

That is what the formula does. When a battleship with 406mm guns fires, it will increase the detection range by 12.18km. 

When a DD with a 127mm gun fires, it increases the detection range by 3.81km.

Beta Testers
190 posts
9,992 battles
Removing Invisifre is a mistake, at least for some DDs . If WG want a all BB game then just get rid of all other ships.

Sign in to follow this