You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

Arizona Magazine Detonation Risk?

25 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles

Just curious is Arizona Battleship at a higher risk if Magazine Detonations considering its real world fate...

Think I would be a little nervous in game with it if I was getting swarmed by Japanese planes.

[ARMDA]
Members
9,003 posts
5,462 battles

No.

Well, you could always take that one upgrade that lessens it by 70%. Also, detonations by DBs seem pretty rare...

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles

Arizona's detonation risk is no higher or lower than Fuso, Bayern, Warspite, or New Mexico.

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles

In Pearl Harbor a Japanese Dive Bomber dropped a bomb that scored direct hit on one of the main magazines sending it straight to the bottom of the harbor. Probably because it was a relaxed day being Sunday and they were not in combat zone or so the assumed so hatches that were normally sealed would be open and things like that which probably contributed to it. Pity it's a premium ship though since it would have been fun to use.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,186 posts
12,021 battles

No.

Well, you could always take that one upgrade that lessens it by 70%. Also, detonations by DBs seem pretty rare...

Against DD's and light cruisers, is the highest det chance with a DB. Even out tiered most BB's have enough armour it might as well be 0. I can count the number of BB's I've detonated with a DB on one hand, 3, maybe 4 because one I'm not sure if it was the bomb that hit or the torp that hit that caused it. Mainly because we have HE bombs, so punching through the deck is at best difficult because theres maybe 1 second at most between arm and detonation.

Besides the fact that what happened to Arizona was a fluke in that an AP bomb managed to land in a powder mag, there's several reasons I can think of they wouldn't up det chance just on morale grounds. Hell there was a massive **** storm over them even adding it.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles

In Pearl Harbor a Japanese Dive Bomber dropped a bomb that scored direct hit on one of the main magazines sending it straight to the bottom of the harbor. Probably because it was a relaxed day being Sunday and they were not in combat zone or so the assumed so hatches that were normally sealed would be open and things like that which probably contributed to it. Pity it's a premium ship though since it would have been fun to use.

Yes. We're aware.

No, that is not referenced in Arizona's in-game performance characteristics.

Because "spend money to detonate more" is not a very viable sales pitch.

For all intents and purposes she's a B-hull New Mexico with a slightly different armor profile.

Edited by Destroyer_Kiyoshimo

Members
186 posts
2,090 battles

Yes. We're aware.

No, that is not referenced in Arizona's in-game performance characteristics.

Because "spend money to detonate more" is not a very viable sales pitch.

For all intents and purposes she's a B-hull New Mexico with a slightly different armor profile.

That sigma though

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles

That sigma though

I knew that was coming the second I posted it.

The guns aren't that much better than NM's. They are better, yes, but it's not a shotgun vs a laser beam.

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles

Oh selling a bad vehicle has not stopped Wargaming before, you should see at least a couple of the Premium Tanks they sold in Blitz lol true they are fast and ok gun but man if they take a hit well the results are not so good for the owner :trollface:

Not going to shock me if 1 or 2 ships in WOWs are like this.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles

Oh selling a bad vehicle has not stopped Wargaming before, you should see at least a couple of the Premium Tanks they sold in Blitz lol true they are fast and ok gun but man if they take a hit well the results are not do good for the owner :trollface:

Not going to shock me if 1 or 2 ships in WOWs are like this.

Oh yeah, they do, but it's generally statistically bad, rather than programmed to kill you instantly more often.

Notable bad premiums: Krasny Krym, pre-radar Atlanta, Indianapolis, Mutsu, Shinonome, Mikasa (still fun in co-op though), Yubari (until it was buffed with the type 0 mod), Ichizuchi (for people who can't figure it out), Tachibana

You may notice a lot of the bad premiums listed are Japanese. And in fact, most of the Japanese premiums are also listed. Japanese premiums in particular seem to be prone to either suck horribly or be super gimmicky. We're not allowed to have a normal Japanese premium. The last time that happened we got Atago and that ship is ... popular. WG can't have that.

[HELLS]
Members
2,727 posts
28,814 battles

All USN Standard BBs are vulnerable to any semi-AP bomb dropped from higher than 1000 feet. Falling at a 60 to 80-degree angle, they will penetrate deck armor easily. Why? IJN AP bombs were basically 14-inch AP shells with a hardened nosecap and fins attached. No modern BB deck armor can stop a semi-AP bomb dropped from 2000 feet either, and they tend to penetrate between 70 and 90 degrees. RM Roma was sunk by a pair of Fritz-X guided weapons that fell at a 70 degree angle from 11,000 feet that had a semi-AP warhead designed for the purpose. HMS Warspite, a much older ship, was almost sunk by one as well with a hit in her machinery spaces that ruined X turret permanently as well. The only thing that saved her was the fact that her original internal subdivision had been modified during her rebuild before the war when she had an engine replacement and was reboilered with more modern (and much smaller) boilers, allowing better subdivision of her machinery spaces. Had the roof of X turret been penetrated, it is most likely that she would have been blown up in a manner similar to Roma.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles

How do you get Mutsu? Been hearing about it but dint see it it the in game shop?

She was sold for a while in the premium shop and then pulled, which is normal WG sales behavior for new premiums.

She might return, but given I predict her sales were terrible, I wouldn't count on it. WG said publicly a while back that Japanese premiums don't sell well, and then the first one we got above tier 5 in over a year is utter trash. So they probably won't sell any IJN premiums for a long time.

Seriously they took a Nagato, stripped off anything that makes Nagato fun or good (armor, secondaries, guns), slapped on torpedoes (2, garbage, narrow arcs), and downtiered it (now you can't div with your sister ship, no sentimental value). All of the crap on Mutsu never existed on it at the same time (no historical value). And it just plain sucks (no competitive value). It's a bad ship designed to be bad so WG wouldn't have to revisit IJN premiums for a while. It's the only reasoning that makes sense as to why they'd do this to such a beloved and requested ship.

• Cool 1

Members
186 posts
2,090 battles

I knew that was coming the second I posted it.

The guns aren't that much better than NM's. They are better, yes, but it's not a shotgun vs a laser beam.

Less penetration due to older guns means less overpens, but also less citadels. I can routinely get 15-20k damage shots at medium-close range

Members
765 posts
2,849 battles

I really wanted to get her... but I bought more premiums than I have time to play over Christmas... so now I will have to budget and study the performance of new ships, so I dont buy an average ship.  Over time I've found that the regular tier ships actually perform better than their stats suggest.  Their stats are deflated cause they are played by a lot of new players and players stil upgrading the ship.  New non-national premiums are also deflated because most players dont have high commander skills in them.  If a new Japanese battleship is released... a fair number of players will stick high point commanders on them.. so their stats are a little inflated.

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles

She was sold for a while in the premium shop and then pulled, which is normal WG sales behavior for new premiums.

She might return, but given I predict her sales were terrible, I wouldn't count on it. WG said publicly a while back that Japanese premiums don't sell well, and then the first one we got above tier 5 in over a year is utter trash. So they probably won't sell any IJN premiums for a long time.

Seriously they took a Nagato, stripped off anything that makes Nagato fun or good (armor, secondaries, guns), slapped on torpedoes (2, garbage, narrow arcs), and downtiered it (now you can't div with your sister ship, no sentimental value). All of the crap on Mutsu never existed on it at the same time (no historical value). And it just plain sucks (no competitive value). It's a bad ship designed to be bad so WG wouldn't have to revisit IJN premiums for a while. It's the only reasoning that makes sense as to why they'd do this to such a beloved and requested ship.

We will be getting the Anime Destroyer Harekaze from High School Fleet / Haifuri this year which would be a good one.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles

We will be getting the Anime Destroyer Harekaze from High School Fleet / Haifuri this year which would be a good one.

That's not a battleship, now is it? You can't really train battleship captains in cruisers and destroyers anymore. Also it's a Kagero class and we all know how "great" Kagero is.

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles

That's not a battleship, now is it? You can't really train battleship captains in cruisers and destroyers anymore. Also it's a Kagero class and we all know how "great" Kagero is.

Heard the pre nerf Kagero was good and I would imagine the Harekaze would be ore nerf variry ols possibly upgunned.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles

Heard the pre nerf Kagero was good and I would imagine the Harekaze would be ore nerf variry ols possibly upgunned.

From CBT to now, Kagero was never good.

I don't know who told you that but if I were you I'd reconsider my relationship with that person.

Members
3,229 posts
7,820 battles

All USN Standard BBs are vulnerable to any semi-AP bomb dropped from higher than 1000 feet. Falling at a 60 to 80-degree angle, they will penetrate deck armor easily. Why? IJN AP bombs were basically 14-inch AP shells with a hardened nosecap and fins attached. No modern BB deck armor can stop a semi-AP bomb dropped from 2000 feet either, and they tend to penetrate between 70 and 90 degrees. RM Roma was sunk by a pair of Fritz-X guided weapons that fell at a 70 degree angle from 11,000 feet that had a semi-AP warhead designed for the purpose. HMS Warspite, a much older ship, was almost sunk by one as well with a hit in her machinery spaces that ruined X turret permanently as well. The only thing that saved her was the fact that her original internal subdivision had been modified during her rebuild before the war when she had an engine replacement and was reboilered with more modern (and much smaller) boilers, allowing better subdivision of her machinery spaces. Had the roof of X turret been penetrated, it is most likely that she would have been blown up in a manner similar to Roma.

The thing about USN battleship design and the reconstructions/modifications that were made during the war is that multiple layers of deck armor were designed specifically to de-cap AP projectiles (bombs or shells) and thus prevent penetrations into the vital spaces of ships.  USN learned her lessons well.

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles

What is interesting is after some researching that ships like Arizona and other Battlships around that era for USN at least they would build 2 ships inna ckass then move on to the next class? Guess other nations were the ones that ordered larger orders of each Dreadnaught class ship or else there must be a ton of different ship classes ise innsone of the WWI sea battles lol.

And my earlier guess was correct they suspect the wrong hatches were open for the Magazine explosion. You Arizona owners should be fairly safe :)

Members
2,997 posts
1,449 battles

LOLWUT?  Arizona is fun to use.  Its the only BB in the USN line. 

Members
595 posts
11,051 battles

In Pearl Harbor a Japanese Dive Bomber dropped a bomb that scored direct hit on one of the main magazines sending it straight to the bottom of the harbor.

Wrong.

[-AGW-]
Members
685 posts
3,886 battles

The "bomb" that sank the Arizona was a 16" AP shell modified to be used as an aerial bomb. It was 800kg, and dropped from a B5N in level flight. None of those factors are in the game. Why would her detonation risk be higher than any other BB?