You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CybrSlydr

LWM: Warspite Skills

28 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
2,094 posts
2,152 battles

Your recent posting of success with the Warspite (and this absolute trash the Alabama is going to be) has prompted me to take another go with this ship and see if different skills/upgrades will help me out.

What kind of skills do you run?  I know fire is a huge issue on this ship so I'm guessing you run a pretty "Survival" build on yours?

Appreciate the input.

[-BMV-]
Members
1,228 posts
6,308 battles

I honestly don't feel like fire is any worse on Warspite than the other T6 BB's. In fact if I was going to spend a match having HE slung at me I would rather be in Warspite for those magic heals. 

Edit: though yes reducing fire is always helpful.

Edited by AquaSquirrel

Beta Testers
2,094 posts
2,152 battles

Sorry, but where have you seen that the Alabama is going to be trash?

Check out Flamu's video.

Beta Testers
2,094 posts
2,152 battles

I honestly don't feel like fire is any worse on Warspite than the other T6 BB's. In fact if I was going to spend a match having HE slung at me I would rather be in Warspite for those magic heals. 

Edit: though yes reducing fire is always helpful.

Fire is worse on the Warspite thanks to it's giant superstructure that anyone can hit with HE from across the map.

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

Check out Flamu's video.

Yeah, Flamu's videos are pretty worthless. He called the Graf Spee (the best performing tier 6 cruiser) worthless. He called the Dunkerque (Second best performing tier 6 battleship) bad. He's a good player, sure, but he is terrible at ship reviews. Saying ships are bad while he posts 150+k damage games in tier 6. Yeah, good stuff. Terrible ship. Mhm. 

Also kinda an [edited].

Edited by SergeantHop
  • Cool 4

[HINON]
Privateers, In AlfaTesters
7,775 posts
2,137 battles

Flamu's smart, definitely a great player... But he most certainly tends to be pessimistic and cynical.

He'll list off the good things about the ship... but then touch upon it's weaknesses, and focus on them hard. Heck, he still calls the Dunkerque weak.

I'd sooner 1v1 another Tirpitz in my Dunkek than any other tier VI BB.

But that's Flamu. He fixates on what a ship can't do, what it's limitations are. That tends to be the case with a lot of very good players.

What they can't do with a ship, their vulnerabilities, tend to affect how they play a ship far more than the strengths of the ship. The good qualities of a ship don't take a central role in how they view the ship unless it's something blatantly OP.

I wouldn't call his videos worthless. They're the ones you go to when you want the cynic's opinion. That carries quite the amount of worth.

You just have to understand he focuses on a ships weaknesses, it's limitations, essentially what it can't do, far more on what it's able to achieve.

• Cool 2

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

Flamu's smart, definitely a great player... But he most certainly tends to be pessimistic and cynical.

He'll list off the good things about the ship... but then touch upon it's weaknesses, and focus on them hard. Heck, he still calls the Dunkerque weak.

But that's Flamu. He fixates on what a ship can't do, what it's limitations are. That tends to be the case with a lot of very good players.

What they can't do with a ship, their vulnerabilities, tend to affect how they play a ship far more than the strengths of the ship. The good qualities of a ship don't take a central role in how they view the ship unless it's something blatantly OP.

I wouldn't call his videos worthless. They're the ones you go to when you want the cynic's opinion. That carries quite the amount of worth.

You just have to understand he focuses on a ships weaknesses, it's limitations, essentially what it can't do, far more on what it's able to achieve.

Except, that's all he focuses on, it seems. Unless a premium ship is overpowered, it's "disappointing" or whatever. Yeah, sure. I respect his capabilities as a player, but he is terrible as a reviewer. Incredibly inconsistent, too, saying some ships that are incredibly difficult to play well are excellent (such as Des Moines, which is very situationally an excellent ship), and saying ships that are very good aren't worth having. 

Also, as previously stated, he's an [edited]. Like seriously, some of the things he and his division-mates post in chat are cringeworthy. Like...I honestly don't even know how he still has his CC tags. If I were WG, I'd want to be distancing myself from him as far as possible. Seriously. I have no respect for him at all. 

Edited by SergeantHop

[CVLOV]
Beta Testers
3,640 posts
2,638 battles

Except, that's all he focuses on, it seems. Unless a premium ship is overpowered, it's "disappointing" or whatever. Yeah, sure. I respect his capabilities as a player, but he is terrible as a reviewer. Incredibly inconsistent, too, saying some ships that are incredibly difficult to play well are excellent (such as Des Moines, which is very situationally an excellent ship), and saying ships that are very good aren't worth having.

Also, as previously stated, he's an [edited]. Like seriously, some of the things he and his division-mates post in chat are cringeworthy. Like...I honestly don't even know how he still has his CC tags. If I were WG, I'd want to be distancing myself from him as far as possible.

I'm pretty sure if the ship he was reviewing had superb armor and normal citadel instead of a torpedo reduction belt, even at the cost of less powerful guns, he'd say it was an excellent ship.

I might be wrong, but when he reviews a premium BB he wants to be able to tank in it, especially if it has good handling.

Having a BB that gets deleted almost as easily as some cruisers (when both have to show their sides) cannot in all honesty be rated any better than "Meh".

To each his/her opinion.

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

I'm pretty sure if the ship he was reviewing had superb armor and normal citadel instead of a torpedo reduction belt, even at the cost of less powerful guns, he'd say it was an excellent ship.

I might be wrong, but when he reviews a premium BB he wants to be able to tank in it, especially if it has good handling.

Having a BB that gets deleted almost as easily as some cruisers (when both have to show their sides) cannot in all honesty be rated any better than "Meh".

To each his/her opinion.

And yet he loves the Missouri. A battleship which can be citadeled by cruisers. Again, inconsistent.
Edited by SergeantHop

Members
1,104 posts
12,142 battles

Thaaaaaank you for typing this!!!  It's just enough detail to get the idea of this guy but it's exact.  I personally detested the guy for quite a while now, that pessimistic and cynical attitude, you just don't find that in LWM, NoZoupForYou, IChaseGaming, and maybe Aerroon's reviews.  (Plus that California valley girl way of talking has gotta go.)
  • Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
20,154 posts
6,159 battles

And yet he loves the Missouri. A battleship which can be citadeled by cruisers. Again, inconsistent.

Then again the Missouri does have more armor than an Iowa, if I'm not wrong. It can bounce better with less angling.

Members
11,026 posts
30,475 battles

Yeah, Flamu's videos are pretty worthless. He called the Graf Spee (the best performing tier 6 cruiser) worthless. He called the Dunkerque (Second best performing tier 6 battleship) bad. He's a good player, sure, but he is terrible at ship reviews. Saying ships are bad while he posts 150+k damage games in tier 6. Yeah, good stuff. Terrible ship. Mhm. 

Also kinda an [edited].

Premiums at all tiers overperform vs their tech tree counterparts simply because the people playing them are a self selecting sample of the players most invested into the game.

Hell, Marblehead was one of the top performing T5 cruisers (even before it's completely undeserved buffs), and Marblehead was an objectively inferior B hull Omaha.

It'd be stranger if Spee wasn't one of the top cruisers at her tier.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
9,532 battles

Pile on survivability skills.

This works well:

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1100000000100010100001010100000019

Warspite 6 BB   101 67.33% 62,089 1,748 2.6 1.4 0.6 48% 31% 0% 1,355

Any skills work on Warspite. If you already have British cruisers you probably would have skill setup like this:

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1100000000100010000001000000001019

This is fine for Warspite, but for a captain specific for Warspite and future British BBs, just pile on the survivability skills.

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/116648-warspite-is-truly-grand-noobie-friendly-bit-op-ship

Warspite's utility values are low. It's slow. The only thing that's good is the excellent accuracy of the guns. So anything that keeps those guns firing, or make them fire faster, will go great with the ship. So far, only AR plus tons of survivability skills fit the description.

Most of your engagements are pre determined (by you because of the slow [edited]gun traverse), and at a range of about 13 to 15 km. At that range only thing that's threatening is huge calibur IJN BBs and HE spamming cruisers. Cruisers can get finished off really quickly by Warspite's excellent guns.

Edited by NeutralState

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

Then again the Missouri does have more armor than an Iowa, if I'm not wrong. It can bounce better with less angling.

Nope. The only armor change is to the transverse bulkhead of the citadel, which the Yamato can still punch through, so a useless change. The torpedo bulges are 32mm instead of 25, as well. So basically, still worthless. Citadel still sits well above the waterline, and the citadel belt is the same on both.
Edited by SergeantHop

Members
1,104 posts
12,142 battles

"The only thing that's good is the excellent accuracy of the guns."

And turning radius.......  -_-

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

"The only thing that's good is the excellent accuracy of the guns."

And turning radius.......  -_-

Also the rudder shift time and the secondaries and the strangely troll armor if you angle properly.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
9,532 battles

Also the rudder shift time and the secondaries and the strangely troll armor if you angle properly.

The armor's only good enough to bounce cruiser APs reliably, like all BBs. But due to the thinner upper belt, cruisers can do tremendous penetration damage. Thin deck armor also makes gun duels with other BBs a russian roulette. Warspite is kind of like German BB, trading spiking citadel damage to consistent penetration damage.

The turn radius and rudder is of little use. With Warspite's accuracy if a DD's in the 10 km torpedo range, that DD should be a dead DD after a salvo or two. Quick turning really doesn't help Warspite a lot, due to the low turret rotation rate. The Warspite also doesn't turn THAT quickly. It can dodge some of the torps from a single salvo - if they are fired at range, but if the torps are fired from a close range, dodging them is not possible with Warspite's maneuverability. 

Playing Warspite well in this game is down to aiming and damage control. The dispersion area of the shots are very small, relative to same match making tier BBs, making Warspite's shots very grouped and thus deadly at 15 km range or below. If aimed well, Warspite can pretty much deleting cruisers around 15 km and lower with every salvo.  The good repair on Warspite allows it to survive fights other BBs may die or crippled, and making the Warspite fears no HE spamming cruisers. 

Guide to how to play Warspite well is hard to write because it's just the basics of game mechanics 1. aim well 2. position well 3. damage control well. All 3, require player's own experience. There's no amount of theorycrafting that's adequate from a guide. 

For OP's purpose, pile on survivability skills, engage enemies as close as you can without exposing yourself to more than 1 or 2 ships, pick target's according to the correct priority at the situation. It's a pretty vague "how-to" Warspite. My 67% win rate in 100 games is literally just pick a point at start of a match, drives there and shoot targets on the way. That's literally all I did, as long as the captain of Warspite can land shells every salvo, he'll do just fine.

Edited by NeutralState

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

The armor's only good enough to bounce cruiser APs reliably, like all BBs. But due to the thinner upper belt, cruisers can do tremendous penetration damage. Thin deck armor also makes gun duels with other BBs a russian roulette. Warspite is kind of like German BB, trading spiking citadel damage to consistent penetration damage.

The turn radius and rudder is of little use. With Warspite's accuracy if a DD's in the 10 km torpedo range, that DD should be a dead DD after a salvo or two. Quick turning really doesn't help Warspite a lot, due to the low turret rotation rate. The Warspite also doesn't turn THAT quickly. It can dodge some of the torps from a single salvo - if they are fired at range, but if the torps are fired from a close range, dodging them is not possible with Warspite's maneuverability. 

Playing Warspite well in this game is down to aiming and damage control. The dispersion area of the shots are very small, relative to same match making tier BBs, making Warspite's shots very grouped and thus deadly at 15 km range or below. If aimed well, Warspite can pretty much deleting cruisers around 15 km and lower with every salvo.  The good repair on Warspite allows it to survive fights other BBs may die or crippled, and making the Warspite fears no HE spamming cruisers. 

Guide to how to play Warspite well is hard to write because it's just the basics of game mechanics 1. aim well 2. position well 3. damage control well. All 3, require player's own experience. There's no amount of theorycrafting that's adequate from a guide. 

For OP's purpose, pile on survivability skills, engage enemies as close as you can without exposing yourself to more than 1 or 2 ships, pick target's according to the correct priority at the situation. It's a pretty vague "how-to" Warspite. My 67% win rate in 100 games is literally just pick a point at start of a match, drives there and shoot targets on the way. That's literally all I did, as long as the captain of Warspite can land shells every salvo, he'll do just fine.

Well, I wouldn't say the quick turning isn't useful. I've used it to get out of sticky situations plenty of times. Dodging torps, dodging planes, dodging ships that are trying to ram you. All dependent on that quick rudder and tiny turn radius. Also being able to turn quickly is of benefit when you want to keep angled, but also get your aft turrets into the fight, and can help significantly when engaging a new threat, especially with those 'slowest traverse in the game' guns. 

Maneuverability is important for more than just a spotted destroyer dying. If your guns are facing the other way when that destroyer does pop up, it is faster to turn the ship around and keep the guns pointed the same relative direction than to have them swing across the entire boat.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
9,532 battles

Well, I wouldn't say the quick turning isn't useful. I've used it to get out of sticky situations plenty of times. Dodging torps, dodging planes, dodging ships that are trying to ram you. All dependent on that quick rudder and tiny turn radius. Also being able to turn quickly is of benefit when you want to keep angled, but also get your aft turrets into the fight, and can help significantly when engaging a new threat, especially with those 'slowest traverse in the game' guns. 

Maneuverability is important for more than just a spotted destroyer dying. If your guns are facing the other way when that destroyer does pop up, it is faster to turn the ship around and keep the guns pointed the same relative direction than to have them swing across the entire boat.

If warspite needs to quickly turn guns with the aid of the entire ship's turning. Something has already gone wrong. Warspite really should have the minimap open in an enlarged size, and only look away from it when taking aim. All fights should be pre planned.
Edited by NeutralState

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

If warspite needs to quickly turn guns with the aid of the entire ship's turning. Something has already gone wrong. Warspite really should have the minimap open in an enlarged size, and only look away from it when taking aim. All fights should be pre planned.

All fights should always be planned forever.

But nothing ever goes to plan, now does it?

[SPTR]
Members
20,154 posts
6,159 battles

Nope. The only armor change is to the transverse bulkhead of the citadel, which the Yamato can still punch through, so a useless change. The torpedo bulges are 32mm instead of 25, as well. So basically, still worthless. Citadel still sits well above the waterline, and the citadel belt is the same on both.

Right. Thanks for the confirmation. 

Members
289 posts
741 battles

As long as you don't get up-tiered, BFT/AFT is good for Warspite (don't get Manual Secondaries, not worth it). Stealth is a preference as the first T4 skill.

T3 fire reduction (-15% duration) is a big help (combine with T4 skill as an option), Superintendant can be handy once you work out how to survive long enough to use it. I have skipped Superintendant as 4 heals is enough most matches.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,278 posts
10,385 battles

Wow, there's a lot of misconceptions in this thread.

1. Reserve judgement on Alabama.  I'm working as fast as I can.  I don't like badmouthing other CCs, but Flamu does have a flair for the dramatic (it's part of what makes him such a successful entertainer).  He knows his stuff, there's no doubt about that, but his opinions tend to polarize between "it's crap" and "it's OP" with nothing in between.  If you're looking for the next overpowered ship, I've no doubt he won't steer you wrong.  But if a ship has any glaring flaws, it's not likely to make his cut and receive a positive review.  This doesn't make a ship unredeemable, however.  Warspite has glaring flaws -- so why run to her instead of considering the Alabama like you had originally intended?

2. Warspite isn't any more flammable than any other tier 6 premium.  In fact, as far as Battleships go, she takes less fire damage.  Her giant bridge superstructure makes it more likely for HE to damage her there, but that's only one hit location for fires.  Remember that Warspite has a cruiser's Damage Control Party which, if you take a premium version (and you should), gives you a 60s reset timer.

Alright, lemme give you the skinny on my current Warspite setup.  Here's the big shocker:  I change it on occasion and I don't settle.

For Modules:

• For the first slot, Main Armaments Modification 1 is a gimme.  I like to brawl and when I'm going bow in, a lot of shells strike the turret faces and barbettes.  Thick as that armour is, stuff will penetrate there on occasion so it's worth having this module to keep the guns active.  This won't guarantee their survival but it's been a long time since one of my guns was blown up permanently.

• For your second slot, if you want to win more, you take Aiming Systems Modification 1.  This drops her shell dispersion from 219m at 16.9km down to 204m.  This has the added benefit of giving your secondaries a 5% range boost up to 5.25km.  Now, don't get me wrong, I love Secondary Guns Modification 2, but it's not optimal.  You're always going to be firing your main battery more than your secondaries, so if you want to be all that you can be, take the aiming modification.  Only take secondaries if you're trying to have more fun than be efficient.

• For your third slot, Damage Control System Modification 1 is best.  This gives you a bit of fire resistance (and only a little) but more important, it bumps up your Torpedo Defense by a couple of percent.

• For your fourth slot, you have a choice.  I prefer Damage Control System Modification 2 to reduce fire burn time from 60s down to 51s.  This saves me 1,453 damage per fire, totaling 8,231 damage per blaze.  I will let single fires burn to full completion without exception on Warspite.  This is easily swallowed by a single charge of a Repair Party (and then some).  Alternatively, you can take Steering Gears Modification 2 which helps with her rudder shift time.  This can help you mitigate damage which is enormous and it's arguably the better choice.  As I tend to tank with my face at close range, I find fire reduction to be more helpful.

For Captain Skills:

Standard Build - This build focuses on playing to Warspite's offensive strengths. 

• At the first rank, Priority Target lets you know when it's time to go evasive.  This is imperative, especially when you're going in for a brawl.  With her vulnerability to citadels, it tells you when you need to angle and against which opponents.
  • You'll need Expert Marksman.  Take this ASAP.
  • There are two great skills at tier 3.  The order in which you take them is up to you.  I prefer Superintendent on my first pass, mostly because i lean heavily on the advantages of Warspite's incredible Repair PartyBasic Fire Training will boost your AA and secondaries.
  • At tier 4, Advanced Fire Training is your first port of call.  This boosts your secondaries to 6.3km with Aiming System Modification 1 or to 7.2km with Secondary Gun Modification 2.  It also spikes your AA range up to a healthy 6.0km.  Once you get this, double back to grab your second tier 3 skill.
  • Next, pick up Adrenaline Rush at tier 2.
  • And finally, save up for Manual Fire Control for AA Guns at tier 4.  This gives Warspite some decent AA power -- enough to make tier 5 carriers lose most of their attack craft on a run and sufficient to at least bruise same or higher tier carriers squadrons.

Durability Build - This is the build I'm currently running.  It's similar to the one above, but it swaps out Manual Fire Control for AA Guns with Basics of Survivability and Preventative Maintenance.  I'm not quite happy with this build, but it's doing the job for now.  With this, it makes fires a non-issue (not that they've ever been a problem for me).  Individual fires now burn for 43s -- a total damage reduction of 2744hp and doing a maximum of 6940 damage per blaze.  I can let two fires burn, confident that my Repair Party will heal back 10,846hp and make two fires a non issue.

• Cool 3

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
9,532 battles

Wow, there's a lot of misconceptions in this thread.

1. Reserve judgement on Alabama.  I'm working as fast as I can.  I don't like badmouthing other CCs, but Flamu does have a flair for the dramatic (it's part of what makes him such a successful entertainer).  He knows his stuff, there's no doubt about that, but his opinions tend to polarize between "it's crap" and "it's OP" with nothing in between.  If you're looking for the next overpowered ship, I've no doubt he won't steer you wrong.  But if a ship has any glaring flaws, it's not likely to make his cut and receive a positive review.  This doesn't make a ship unredeemable, however.  Warspite has glaring flaws -- so why run to her instead of considering the Alabama like you had originally intended?

2. Warspite isn't any more flammable than any other tier 6 premium.  In fact, as far as Battleships go, she takes less fire damage.  Her giant bridge superstructure makes it more likely for HE to damage her there, but that's only one hit location for fires.  Remember that Warspite has a cruiser's Damage Control Party which, if you take a premium version (and you should), gives you a 60s reset timer.

Alright, lemme give you the skinny on my current Warspite setup.  Here's the big shocker:  I change it on occasion and I don't settle.

For Modules:

• For the first slot, Main Armaments Modification 1 is a gimme.  I like to brawl and when I'm going bow in, a lot of shells strike the turret faces and barbettes.  Thick as that armour is, stuff will penetrate there on occasion so it's worth having this module to keep the guns active.  This won't guarantee their survival but it's been a long time since one of my guns was blown up permanently.

• For your second slot, if you want to win more, you take Aiming Systems Modification 1.  This drops her shell dispersion from 219m at 16.9km down to 204m.  This has the added benefit of giving your secondaries a 5% range boost up to 5.25km.  Now, don't get me wrong, I love Secondary Guns Modification 2, but it's not optimal.  You're always going to be firing your main battery more than your secondaries, so if you want to be all that you can be, take the aiming modification.  Only take secondaries if you're trying to have more fun than be efficient.

• For your third slot, Damage Control System Modification 1 is best.  This gives you a bit of fire resistance (and only a little) but more important, it bumps up your Torpedo Defense by a couple of percent.

• For your fourth slot, you have a choice.  I prefer Damage Control System Modification 2 to reduce fire burn time from 60s down to 51s.  This saves me 1,453 damage per fire, totaling 8,231 damage per blaze.  I will let single fires burn to full completion without exception on Warspite.  This is easily swallowed by a single charge of a Repair Party (and then some).  Alternatively, you can take Steering Gears Modification 2 which helps with her rudder shift time.  This can help you mitigate damage which is enormous and it's arguably the better choice.  As I tend to tank with my face at close range, I find fire reduction to be more helpful.

For Captain Skills:

Standard Build - This build focuses on playing to Warspite's offensive strengths. 

• At the first rank, Priority Target lets you know when it's time to go evasive.  This is imperative, especially when you're going in for a brawl.  With her vulnerability to citadels, it tells you when you need to angle and against which opponents.
  • You'll need Expert Marksman.  Take this ASAP.
  • There are two great skills at tier 3.  The order in which you take them is up to you.  I prefer Superintendent on my first pass, mostly because i lean heavily on the advantages of Warspite's incredible Repair PartyBasic Fire Training will boost your AA and secondaries.
  • At tier 4, Advanced Fire Training is your first port of call.  This boosts your secondaries to 6.3km with Aiming System Modification 1 or to 7.2km with Secondary Gun Modification 2.  It also spikes your AA range up to a healthy 6.0km.  Once you get this, double back to grab your second tier 3 skill.
  • Next, pick up Adrenaline Rush at tier 2.
  • And finally, save up for Manual Fire Control for AA Guns at tier 4.  This gives Warspite some decent AA power -- enough to make tier 5 carriers lose most of their attack craft on a run and sufficient to at least bruise same or higher tier carriers squadrons.

Durability Build - This is the build I'm currently running.  It's similar to the one above, but it swaps out Manual Fire Control for AA Guns with Basics of Survivability and Preventative Maintenance.  I'm not quite happy with this build, but it's doing the job for now.  With this, it makes fires a non-issue (not that they've ever been a problem for me).  Individual fires now burn for 43s -- a total damage reduction of 2744hp and doing a maximum of 6940 damage per blaze.  I can let two fires burn, confident that my Repair Party will heal back 10,846hp and make two fires a non issue.

uh..... both BFT and MF - AA are more than useless on Warspite, even ignoring the fact that encountering a CV is only in minority of the games. Even EM is questionable on Warspite, but since most people will run Warspite with their RN Cruisers they probably already have the skill.