Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CaptainKaitoGhost

Best cruiser line for a noob?

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

41 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I personally like the IJN cruiser line.  Heavy cruisers start at Tier 5 and they all have good firepower and decent armor.  The turret traverse is slow but still manageable.  

Edit*  I should add that the IJN light cruisers at Tiers 3 and 4 are very good and great fun to play.  

Edited by PrairiePlayer

The USN line is not beginner friendly. Especially once you get to the Pensacola. It takes a very judicious and wily player to play them well. I'm just now getting to the Baltimore, and that's after playing German CAs to Tier 10 and IJN and RN to Tier 7. 

Personally, I'd say the German Cruisers are the most forgiving. They have great armor in the later tiers, awesome AP and very respectable AA. However, they require a good understanding of when to use AP and when not to. If you can pick targets and fire AP accurately, they are beasts. However, they really only start to shine at Tier 8. They get punished by the MM at tiers 5 and 6, and the tier 7 is a hit or miss kind of ship. From the Hipper, and especially from the Roon, they're fantastic. Plus, in my opinion, they are absolutely gorgeous ships. I never get tired of looking at them. 

The IJN line on the other hand is pretty straightforward. Don't show your broadside (you'll get nuked.) Keep your distance and burn everything to the waterline with awesome, high alpha, high fire chance HE and surprise people with fast, hard hitting 10km torpedoes. And if a cruiser shows you their broadside, nuke them with surprisingly good AP. Their shells fly fast and flat and are easy to get hits with at long range. The line has some duds (looking at you Aoba) but for the most part is very good and the style is a fun hybrid mix of Cruiser maneuverability and fire rate, but with the feeling of being able to do real, big chunk damage like BBs do. 

Edited by Falls_USMC

IJN is well armored if you angle right, has good AP and HE, but the torpedoes are situational due to weird rear facing arcs and has slow turret traverse, so you dont want to be too close.

USN is great for newbs up until tier 7, as their heavy cruisers have weak sides. Tier 6+ have no torps and high shell arcs, but great AAA

I havent played enough German cruisers to comment, but I can say if you show your sides, you will be deleted.

Soviet cruisers are good guns, good armor when properly angled, decent speed, absolutely abysmal turning.

Edited by Halinspark

I forgot to mention, Furutaka and Aoba in the IJN line arent bad, myoko is good, but 3/5 turrets point backwards and mess some people up, and Mogami, Ibuki, and Zao are largely just improved Myokos but have 3/5 turrets pointing forwards like normal.

USN cruisers are ***A LOT*** better than they used to be, and hence much more newbie friendly, relatively speaking, They are very agile and starting at tier 7, their AP is absolutely trollish in it's penetration (citadels for everyone!). That being said, their shells are very floaty, they don't have torps, and are essentially the 'brawlers' of the cruiser lines, so until you learn serious map awareness, island hugging, and line of sight mechanics, you'll have trouble.

I'd start with the German line. They are the most versatile of the cruisers, having solid long range sniping guns, decent AA, amazing hydro, and are between the extremes in terms of speed and agility. Good line to learn how to cruiser, basically.

German line. This way you'll learn the usage of AP, still have torps, have solid AA, and no real gimmicks. IJN line is fine too, relies too heavily on HE.

The USN line might not be the "best" but it works.

I'd recommend the IJN to learn cruisers but USN is the next easiest in my opinion, except for Pensacola.

The USN line might not be the "best" but it works.

I'd recommend the IJN to learn cruisers but USN is the next easiest in my opinion, except for Pensacola.

Pepsi isnt that bad now that her concealment is close to Sharkbait's. She's just a very sudden change from the Cleveland, which is a sudden change from the Omaha. USN cruiser players suffer from whiplash with the Pepsicola.

If you learn all the lessons IJN cruisers can teach then you will have a sound understanding of the game mechanics.  Positioning, angling, proper ammo choice, torpedo usage, concealment its all there.  They are competitive platforms at all tiers but not overpowered enough to breed bad habits.

Personally, the best line for a newbie is the USN line...  Like the other player said, USN Cruiser are (by far) the most forgiving...

Thing is, when you get to tier VII you are no longer a noob (or no longer should be)...

Kriegsmarine Cruiser are amongst the most complex and unforgiving Cruiser since you absolutely must master AP mechanics in order to play them well and that's def not noob friendly.  Also, Kriegsmarine and VMF Cruiser also requires you to master ballistic (shooting people from 15+ km away) as you should never be targeted by a Cruiser / BB in the 10km range under the risk of oblivion...

Finally, RN and IJN Cruiser rely on torp attack to complement their damage : torping with a Cruiser (without being insta deleted) is another high level skill that I wouldn't entrust to a newbie.

Note however that the height of noob friendliness lies with the Kriegsmarine BB, the most forgiving line of all... What you can't do with the German BB, you shouldn't do in any ship (Yoloing for example), however they will let you get away with a lot of things noobish (like isolating yourself from teammates, getting into 1 vs X firefights and even running into the occasional torp wall.

THe thing you are for sure to learn are WASD hax and aiming targets 15km (and less), which is what separates noob from the veterans (IMO)

happy hunting

Finally, RN and IJN Cruiser rely on torp attack to complement their damage : torping with a Cruiser (without being insta deleted) is another high level skill that I wouldn't entrust to a newbie.

After t5, IJN torpedoes dont have the firing arcs to be useful most of the time without risking your ship. I would argue that theyre pretty gun centric, but have torpedoes you can use if you find the opportunity.

After t5, IJN torpedoes dont have the firing arcs to be useful most of the time without risking your ship. I would argue that theyre pretty gun centric, but have torpedoes you can use if you find the opportunity.

Yeah in the later tiers the firing arcs are awful. But they do have good fields of fire to the rear, which can be excellent when you're being pursued. I find they're more useful as defensive weapons rather than offensive. 

Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

RN and IJN don't have the sheer firepower of USN Cruisers (with their heavy shell able to citadel even properly angled Cruisers) nor the range of VMF and Kriegsmarine Cruisers (able to fire from BB range thus easily evading enemy shells).

They compensate that by having a lower detect range AND much better torps (their torps are better in almost every statistical categories).

So if you choose IJN or RN and don't use their torp you actually should go for another line of Cruiser...

USN cruisers are have less weapon systems, so less to worry about.  However, they have bad gun arcs are certain cruisers, but those same cruisers are pretty touch.

German cruisers don't get any armor until T7 and are heavily reliant on AP.  No very beginner friendly due to backwards gun layout and soft armor.

Russian cruisers don't have any armor and therefore cannot brawl all that well, meaning you can get in trouble with them and then quickly deleted.

IJN cruisers can angle pretty well and have decent guns.  The only issue is they get repetitive from tier 6 to 9.

RN cruisers have a lot of tricks, but bad shell arcs, making it harder to engage at long range.

I'd say IJN is probably the best line for a first cruiser line.  You could also play Russian DDs as they are pretty much light cruisers. 

Take the IJN and use all your free XP go to ZAO directly

Then is Hindenberg and Moskva

If you want to play manly, go to play USN cruisers and RN CL.

Take the IJN and use all your free XP go to ZAO directly

Then is Hindenberg and Moskva

If you want to play manly, go to play USN cruisers and RN CL.

...this is terrible advice for a noob.  I'm clearly not ready to play a tier X cruiser.

IJN Cruisers force you to learn a wide variety of aspects in the game.

===

Gunnery in ranges where BBs LOVE to shoot at.

Torpedoes.  USN Cruisers lose Torpedo capability in the tech tree from Tier VI onwards, everyone else keeps them the entire game.

Concealment.

Knowing when to use AP or their excellent HE shells.

Protecting their citadels, the upper tier IJN Cruisers are floating citadels.

===

USN Cruisers were the first line I worked on in this game but if I were able to do it over again, I would have done IJN Cruisers first.  They make you learn a lot of things and they give you good weapons to do them with.  IMO, they are the most "all around" Cruisers in the game.

The worst Cruiser line for a newbie is RN Cruiser line.  They offer a lot of tools to excel with but any mistake, you're dead.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Haze

===

Torpedoes.  USN Cruisers lose Torpedo capability in the tech tree from Tier VI onwards, everyone else keeps them the entire game.

Concealment.

===

USN Cruisers were the first line I worked on in this game but if I were able to do it over again, I would have done IJN Cruisers first.  They make you learn a lot of things and they give you good weapons to do them with.  IMO, they are the most "all around" Cruisers in the game.

The worst Cruiser line for a newbie is RN Cruiser line.  They offer a lot of tools to excel with but any mistake, you're dead.

This is actually a good point.

As a newbie what is your objective ?

- Do you wanna learn the game.  This means that you are facing a steep learning curve.  You will have a lot of frustrating games as your error margin is razor thin.  However, as Haze said, once you 'go through the grinder' you will emerge with a broad knowledge of the game enabling you to quickly transit to Destroyers, other Cruisers and Battleships (particularly the Germans).

If this is your choice then indeed go for IJN (or even RN) Cruisers...

- On the other hand, do you want to 'ease up into the game' and be competitive but stifling your learning of the game.  You will have less 'bad games' as the boat you choose will be a lot more forgiving of the typical newbie errors.  After the basics of the games have no secret for you (WASD hax!!), then you can step up to something more challenging.  You will also be able to see the other boats in actions and decide what style of play you want to develop.

If this is your choice then I suggest either USN Cruiser or Kriegsmarine BB 

IJN cruiser line for sure. Closely followed by the USN. Stay the hell away from the Russian cruisers as they are very unforgiving.

The one thing RU Cruisers have that saves them from being total garbage is how good their guns are at range.  My first mistake was trying to play them like USN & IJN Cruisers.  I see a lot of newer RU Cruiser players make the same mistake, finding a short ranged fight and getting crushed.  It was only at Budyonny when it finally started to click in my head, "Hey, these guns are pretty kewl at range.  What if I keep at range and pelt people with them?"

From that point on the line shines in that specific capacity.  Schors at Tier VII took that to a higher, ridiculous level.  It actually reinforces the "Fight at Range or Die" mindset because she turns like s--t and her armor is just as s--t.  But she has speed and she has very long ranged, 152mm guns.  And she has TWELVE of the d--n things.  Chapayev, Kutuzov reinforces that even more but with some minor tweaks to style.

===

Concealment.

===

This is excellent advice.  IJN ships will teach what you need to know.  USN cruisers will teach you how to be a whipped puppy.

Haze

This is actually a good point.

As a newbie what is your objective ?

- Do you wanna learn the game.  This means that you are facing a steep learning curve.  You will have a lot of frustrating games as your error margin is razor thin.  However, as Haze said, once you 'go through the grinder' you will emerge with a broad knowledge of the game enabling you to quickly transit to Destroyers, other Cruisers and Battleships (particularly the Germans).

If this is your choice then indeed go for IJN (or even RN) Cruisers...

- On the other hand, do you want to 'ease up into the game' and be competitive but stifling your learning of the game.  You will have less 'bad games' as the boat you choose will be a lot more forgiving of the typical newbie errors.  After the basics of the games have no secret for you (WASD hax!!), then you can step up to something more challenging.  You will also be able to see the other boats in actions and decide what style of play you want to develop.

If this is your choice then I suggest either USN Cruiser or Kriegsmarine BB 

Something else; don't rush to higher tiers.  Just because you have unlocked a T* ship doesn't mean you are really ready.  Chill out in T4 for a bit and hone your skills.  I honestly think the Phoenix is the single best training ship in the game.  She will literally teach you every thing you need to know to play this game.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0