Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Bohica_

Perth, Captain Skills. What have you done to salvage it?

23 comments in this topic

[GAMMA] _Bohica_ 7
26 posts
5,238 battles

**EDIT UPDATE --- This post is asking for the Captain Skills you have chosen that has worked the best with your Perth.    Please list your Captain skills.    Thank you.**

The Perth, we all (mostly) know we should have listened to Flamu and Notser before buying it.  But you can find plenty of other places for the discussion of why it needs a serious buff and why you should save your hard earned cash for something else.

So I'd rather ask the Captains that have it, and haven't completely mothballed it, to what they have done to try to salvage the bugger.

(Note:  Yeah, if you find that special piece of smoke generator  equipment, slap it on asap.  For all other ships, it's mostly 'meh' or 'poor'.  But on a Perth you gain a full 27 seconds to the 'duration' of your smoke, due to how it works.   Which would be sweet, as I do not own one yet)

For myself IFHE has made the ship so much more tolerable.   DE to alleviate the fire reduction.  But now I can hurt BBs without the needing as much guidance from RNGesus.

But now I have 2 more skill points to spend, and still building them up.   So I wanted to know what other's have chosen, and what they have found that works for them.

For myself, so far,  its: Priority Target, Expert Marksman, Demolition Expert, and then Inertia Fuse for HE shells.

Edited by _Bohica_

[OPGS] aether_tech 741
3,580 posts
4,112 battles

Perth needs a buff? Yes, YES, YES please. (no, it doesn't.)

• Cool 1

[-K-] Ace_04 1,109
4,453 posts
8,253 battles

Perth needs a buff? Yes, YES, YES please. (no, it doesn't.)

Agreed.  I have no issues with Perth in her current state.

She's a perfectly serviceable (if unremarkable) platform.

[4HIM] Morpheous 170
855 posts
8,193 battles

Perth? Maybe those guys should quit making vids if they knock this ship.  Only either my favorite ship or second favorite.  Yes BUFF the Perth. (can only secretly hope)  Perth is a beast ship.  Smokes DDs easily, absolutely wrecks CAs and with decent range torps is a BB beater.  I would take it over any T6 CA easily and maybe over some T7s.   Yes I use IFHE, its real strength is a long smoke screen, cruising at 1/4 speed, and getting hits without taking too many in return.  Can't see the enemy because your own smoke, cause your out front (wrecking enemy DDs) then launch your spotter.  Frustrated CAs rush closer, torp them!  I use AP very regularly on enemy CAs with very good results.  If they are angled or BBs, then IFHE.   I pretty much play a concealment build with pretty standard CA build.  Nothing special that I can think of...not sure if I have expanded smoke, as game is at home :(   Perth, one of the best premium ships I have, Dunkerque second, or first, can't decide.  Yup taking it them over Atago, Tripitz and pretty much every other premium,(not for credits here, just for fun)  though I do like the Molotov quite a bit, another very underrated ship!  Most people like the Belfast and think its OP, well tell you what I quit playing it in ranked, having no torps with small teams with only small doses of radar firing out of smoke is not beneficial enough, give me a Fiji any day.  Belfast if one of the few premium ships I didn't buy, then read too much ramblings, from "experts" bought it and regretted it, even after a first game of like 80k   sorry for the rambling lol, but just was thinking so many thoughts....but best advice on ANY ship, play ships that fit your style, outfit them to benefit that style and you will probably love that ship.  I usually play everything, either in tanks or now in warships, jack of all, master of none, its what I do in real life too, so I am pretty good in all types of stuff, enjoy them all to some degree, but master none.  But the Perth and Dunk, are probably the ships I "master".

• Cool 1

[WG-CC] LittleWhiteMouse 20,726
8,368 posts
6,822 battles

I said it in my own review and I'll say it again here:  Success in Perth is contingent on a player being able to figure out how to survive in between smokes.  The new modifications provided in 0.6.1, specifically Smoke Generator Modification 2, is incredibly powerful on Perth, giving her almost a full 2 minutes of concealment.  Learning how to set up these smoke runs for maximum effect is what makes or breaks this ship.  It requires some aggressive play to setup but with enough map awareness and tactical acuity to know when the jig is up.  As a support ship, she can be amazing, providing 2 minutes of smoke cover for your big friends while they're moving at speed.  

Here's some Captain Builds:

Smoke, Smoke and More Smoke!

This build focuses on, you guessed it:  Smoke.  The order you should take the skills is as follows:

1. Priority Target.  This will help keep you alive.
  2. Smoke Screen Expert.  This will allow more of your friends to take advantage of your smoke screens, short lasting as they are.  They don't have to hump your butt quite so adamantly to stay in cover this way.
  3. Superintendent.  For more smokes.
  4. Concealment Expert.  For when your smoke disappears.
  5. Jack of All Trades.  With a premium generator, this will reduce the reset timers from 160s down to 152s.
  6. Demolition Expert; cause fire is hilarious.
  7. Inertial Fuse for HE Shells. This will greatly increase the amount of direct damage you can do to tier 6+ Battleships.

Bombardment Build

In this build, you treat Perth like a regular ol' Light Cruiser with a weird smoke generator.  Skill order is:

1. Priority Target.  You're going to be a shot at a lot more with this build.
  2. Adrenaline Rush.  When you take damage, your guns get better.
  3. Demolition Expert.  Because fires are hilarious.
  4. Concealment Expert.  This will help keep you alive.
  5. Inertial Fuse for HE Shells.  This will greatly increase the amount of direct damage you can do to tier 6+ Battleships.
  6. Vigilance.  While you're smoke patrolling, you can see fish sooner.  This is handy for when your Hydro is on cooldown.
  7. Smoke Screen Expert.  Because sharing is caring.

• Cool 2

[-K-] Ace_04 1,109
4,453 posts
8,253 battles

Smoke, Smoke and More Smoke!

This build focuses on, you guessed it:  Smoke.  The order you should take the skills is as follows:

1. Priority Target.  This will help keep you alive.
  2. Smoke Screen Expert.  This will allow more of your friends to take advantage of your smoke screens, short lasting as they are.  They don't have to hump your butt quite so adamantly to stay in cover this way.
  3. Superintendent.  For more smokes.
  4. Concealment Expert.  For when your smoke disappears.
  5. Jack of All Trades.  With a premium generator, this will reduce the reset timers from 160s down to 152s.
  6. Demolition Expert; cause fire is hilarious.
  7. Inertial Fuse for HE Shells. This will greatly increase the amount of direct damage you can do to tier 6+ Battleships.

I haven't really looked at Perth since the new modules were introduced, but now that you've pointed it out, I'm interested in trying this build with her.

Thanks for the heads up, Mouse.

[GAMMA] _Bohica_ 7
26 posts
5,238 battles

Thanks (so far) to creamgravy and LittleWhiteMouse.

And I've been dreaming of a Smoke Generator Mod 2, since I first read about it months ago.  I just forgot the name of it when I started this thread.  But those extra 27 seconds (90 second base duration, plus the 30%) would be wonderful for the Perth.

[ABDA] crzyhawk 3,437
14,711 posts
10,655 battles

I got my smoke generator for killing mouse.  Or maybe it was just a super container, I don't recall.  But I got one, and you know that baby is on my Perth.

Here's my captain build, most "good" captains will tell me my build sucks, but it works for me.  I'm not really sold on Pri Target yet, testing it out to see what I think.

kbopyq.jpg

Edited by crzyhawk
  • Cool 1

[SCRAP] HMS_Formidable 446
1,321 posts
3,991 battles

I agree priority target is over-rated

you need player situational-awareness anyway.

The only other difference with my build is I went for Inertia Fuse

I find Concealment Expert over-rated as I spend much of the game firing my guns.

So it only applies for those rare few minutes in the opening of the game when you are unseen and looking for a target.

And inertia-fuse certainly boosted my damage output v battleships.

Edited by HMS_Formidable
  • Cool 1

[GAMMA] _Bohica_ 7
26 posts
5,238 battles

I got my smoke generator for killing mouse.  Or maybe it was just a super container, I don't recall.  But I got one, and you know that baby is on my Perth.

Here's my captain build, most "good" captains will tell me my build sucks, but it works for me.  I'm not really sold on Pri Target yet, testing it out to see what I think.

kbopyq.jpg

I find Concealment Expert over-rated as I spend much of the game firing my guns.

So it only applies for those rare few minutes in the opening of the game when you are unseen and looking for a target.

Thanks as well, you two.

I am thinking I'm on the right track to where to direct my Captain next.

1,351 posts
7,654 battles

One of the biggest, and most likely overlooked, benefits of Priority Target (PT) for a ship like the Perth is that it can help you save smoke charges.  For instance, you come up on some allies engaged with the enemy.  The free Situational Awareness (SA) captain skill alerts you that you are detected, and your natural SA tells you that you are probably going to get the attention of the enemy.  Without PT, you may go ahead and slow and hit smoke to go dark.  With PT, you can tell that people have noticed you and are now targeting you, allowing you to make that decision easier.  On the other hand, the enemy may be too engaged to notice you and/or may choose to ignore you.  In that case, PT will tell you that you are not being targeted, so you can hold off on popping smoke.  You may be able to get off a few volleys before someone targets you, meaning those initial volleys did not count against your activation time, extending the effectiveness of your smoke by not using it till you actually needed it.  The enemy may also die or bug out before they ever bother with you, meaning you just saved a smoke charge that may be the difference between life and death or between contributing and not contributing later in the game

Yes, you don't have to have PT, but especially for fragile ships like the Perth, it provides you with valuable information you can use along with your natural ability to know what is going on around you to make better decisions..

• Cool 2

[ABDA] crzyhawk 3,437
14,711 posts
10,655 battles

I like to operate my Perth kind of like a DD.  I'm usually chilling around cap points looking to ambush DD's whenever possible.  CE is an absolute must for me.  I definitely want to get IFHE, I imagine it will be in my final build.  Perth benefits from so many different skills (I even like the two spotter skill for spotting in smoke) I have not decided what my final build will look like.
  • Cool 1

[GAMMA] _Bohica_ 7
26 posts
5,238 battles

One of the biggest, and most likely overlooked, benefits of Priority Target (PT) for a ship like the Perth is that it can help you save smoke charges.  For instance, you come up on some allies engaged with the enemy.  The free Situational Awareness (SA) captain skill alerts you that you are detected, and your natural SA tells you that you are probably going to get the attention of the enemy.  Without PT, you may go ahead and slow and hit smoke to go dark.  With PT, you can tell that people have noticed you and are now targeting you, allowing you to make that decision easier.  On the other hand, the enemy may be too engaged to notice you and/or may choose to ignore you.  In that case, PT will tell you that you are not being targeted, so you can hold off on popping smoke.  You may be able to get off a few volleys before someone targets you, meaning those initial volleys did not count against your activation time, extending the effectiveness of your smoke by not using it till you actually needed it.  The enemy may also die or bug out before they ever bother with you, meaning you just saved a smoke charge that may be the difference between life and death or between contributing and not contributing later in the game

Yes, you don't have to have PT, but especially for fragile ships like the Perth, it provides you with valuable information you can use along with your natural ability to know what is going on around you to make better decisions..

I concur with this action.  Unlike crzyhawk (who is braver than I am) I play my Perth in more of a support role near the main fleet.  And just like Sotaudi said, once engaged I slow down a bit and start firing.  But my eye is always looking for my Priority Target icon to light up with numbers.  If it doesn't I keep firing, but when it does, I pop smoke and slow down immediately to 1/4 speed.

Since I do not have Smoke Generator 2 yet, this does help me 'lengthen' my smoke time as I no longer have to start it until I know I need it.

And sometimes as well, I never have to use it at all.  And it would have been, in essence, a wasted charge.

238 posts
8,359 battles

With its tremendous acceleration,  I love to bait BB's at range in mine. I come to a complete stop broadside on to them & fire away. As soon as I see them fire back, I slam the throttle & launch out of the way. Complete miss every time...

238 posts
8,359 battles

if it helps any , here is my perth build. I'm currently #6 in win rate & #11 in WTR.

perth.jpg

[TF57] NotoriousRNG 370
1,371 posts
10,337 battles

I've changed now. Instead of survivability expert I have IFHE and I ditched one of the one pointers. 

3,477 posts
6,826 battles
On 3/9/2017 at 3:00 PM, Morpheous said:

Perth? Maybe those guys should quit making vids if they knock this ship.  Only either my favorite ship or second favorite.  Yes BUFF the Perth. (can only secretly hope)  Perth is a beast ship.  Smokes DDs easily, absolutely wrecks CAs and with decent range torps is a BB beater.  I would take it over any T6 CA easily and maybe over some T7s.   Yes I use IFHE, its real strength is a long smoke screen, cruising at 1/4 speed, and getting hits without taking too many in return.  Can't see the enemy because your own smoke, cause your out front (wrecking enemy DDs) then launch your spotter.  Frustrated CAs rush closer, torp them!  I use AP very regularly on enemy CAs with very good results.  If they are angled or BBs, then IFHE.   I pretty much play a concealment build with pretty standard CA build.  Nothing special that I can think of...not sure if I have expanded smoke, as game is at home :(   Perth, one of the best premium ships I have, Dunkerque second, or first, can't decide.  Yup taking it them over Atago, Tripitz and pretty much every other premium,(not for credits here, just for fun)  though I do like the Molotov quite a bit, another very underrated ship!  Most people like the Belfast and think its OP, well tell you what I quit playing it in ranked, having no torps with small teams with only small doses of radar firing out of smoke is not beneficial enough, give me a Fiji any day.  Belfast if one of the few premium ships I didn't buy, then read too much ramblings, from "experts" bought it and regretted it, even after a first game of like 80k   sorry for the rambling lol, but just was thinking so many thoughts....but best advice on ANY ship, play ships that fit your style, outfit them to benefit that style and you will probably love that ship.  I usually play everything, either in tanks or now in warships, jack of all, master of none, its what I do in real life too, so I am pretty good in all types of stuff, enjoy them all to some degree, but master none.  But the Perth and Dunk, are probably the ships I "master".

A fair bit down the road but that was a fine post.

+1 from one jack of all trades/master of none to another.

• Cool 2

[4HIM] Morpheous 170
855 posts
8,193 battles
22 hours ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

A fair bit down the road but that was a fine post.

+1 from one jack of all trades/master of none to another.

Thanks!  We are always around to amaze the mortals and to be disdained by the immortals. 

[-GPS-] Landing_Skipper 404
2,420 posts
21,825 battles
Posted (edited)
On 3/10/2017 at 8:18 PM, Sotaudi said:

If you wait for the PT indicator to pop up before you smoke, you greatly increase your chances of getting blapped.  When "1" appears, a ship - maybe a BB far, far away - has locked onto you.  Even if you disappear before he pulls the trigger, that lock stays in effect for some number of seconds.

Although I have Priority Target on virtually all of my cruisers and recently added it to many BBs, it's not overwhelmingly useful for me except when the number jumps from 1 to 3 or more.  Then I start maneuvering frantically in expectation of imminent death.

Edited by Landing_Skipper

[-GPS-] Landing_Skipper 404
2,420 posts
21,825 battles
Posted (edited)

I currently have Priority Target as my first 1-point skill; however, here is a viable approach I might consider when I get that 19th point:

1 - catapult aircraft because two spotters are better than one.  Being in smoke without something spotting for you is useless.

2 - Adrenaline Rush because anything that can smoke can continue dealing damage with only 5 HP left

3 - Superintendent for an additional smoke, plane and hydro

4 - Concealment Expert

3 - Demo Expert because fire is good

4 - IFHE because increasing penetration regardless of angle from 25 mm to 33 mm takes you over the penetration threshold for parts of all kinds of ships you will encounter.  Note that I take this only AFTER Demo Expert though

2 - Jack of All Trades to reduce cooldown for smoke, hydro and planes

Edited by Landing_Skipper

Sign in to follow this