You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

105 comments in this topic

Lert    16,237

Whenever Mouse posts one of these:

k3TzQKW.gif

Appropriate music for playing Okhotnik:

Odin! Guide our ships! Our axes, spears and swords!

Guide us through, storms that whip, and in brutal war!

• Cool 16

tcbaker777    920
Image result for upvote gif plane  you know the angel of death from the AC-130s flares, let me introduce the upvote angel, but will it be a doubloon to get ship? Edited by tcbaker777
  • Cool 4

715    434

Once again another great review on an odd boat.

lYR9qJ6.gif

• Cool 2

devastator5000    223

Those guns... you know what i'll let sulu take this one

va9aHAz.gif

Edited by devastator5000
  • Cool 1

ForgMaxtor    176

Great review as usual.

But ick.  Thing looks like a closed-deck canoe with warts.  If the game is going to have paper ships, I'd like them to be at least plausible.  What's next, the bathtub boats from April Fools 2016 released for general gameplay?

Lert    16,237

The camo looks phenomenal tho

Yeah. The ship didn't look long enough without horizontal stripes.
  • Cool 1

DoomStomper    1,446

A meme waiting to happen.

z4FHI0i.png

(Excellent review as always, can't wait to add this glorious monstrosity to my port!)

• Cool 6

TTK_Aegis    1,191

...it's like KitKat but with guns. Just weirdly long with guns everywhere. 

I like it. Also wow I totally missed any word that this ship was in the works. Was it announced before this? 

Siegewolf    81

Maybe I am misunderstanding of the use of Preventive Maintenance but wouldn't that be better than Priority Target for a T1 choice?  I always assume folks are pointing at me as a DD so I always thought of PT as a waste.

vsWlRUe.gif

Edited by Siegewolf

TTK_Aegis    1,191

Maybe I am misunderstanding of the use of Preventive Maintenance but wouldn't that be better than Priority Target for a T1 choice?  I always assume folks are pointing at me as a DD so I always thought of PT as a waste.

I think in this case with traverse being so bad it's worth it to know when you don't have to be swerving all over the place. That's my guess. 

LittleWhiteMouse    17,286

Okhotnik cannot fire her weapons without being spotted.  Knowing when you can continue shooting and when you need to silence your guns is huge.  Remember, her guns do not turn quickly and evasive maneuvers will lower her DPM, especially if you don't have Expert Marksman to accelerate their traverse.  Priority Target lets you maximize the time you're dishing out punishment. 

Also, Preventative Maintenance is a bit of a garbage skill for destroyers.  Loud noises will still wreck your steering gears and engine even with the skill.

• Cool 2

Lert    16,237

I always assume folks are pointing at me as a DD so I always thought of PT as a waste.

Knowing how many people are aiming at me helps me decided whether to push on or disengage. Spotted but nobody aiming at me or spotted and 6 people aiming at me are two entirely different situations.
  • Cool 1

ForgMaxtor    176

Also, Preventative Maintenance is a bit of a garbage skill for destroyers.  Loud noises will still wreck your steering gears and engine even with the skill.

Other CCs disagree on this.  Beyond the steering and engine, it also helps reduce the chance of guns & torps being incapacitated, which is a pretty big deal for destroyers IMHO.

I suppose you could argue though that Okhotnik has so many guns and torps that she can afford to lose a couple and keep fighting, so perhaps in her case PT is a better (first) 1-pt choice.

Edited by ForgMaxtor

Hatework    177

When pictures started showing up of this, i thought it was a joke.  Good to know i was right. 

Excellent review as always Mouse and Lert, my Yubari looks forward to the new challenger.

Stauffenberg44    531

Ok-HOTNIK!

"A Viking long-ship.  A TOG II* in World of Warships form.  A fish story.  A destroyer that's happy to see you.  A meme waiting to happen."

A real TOG II equivalent would have to generate a plethora of Hotnik jokes. In any case I'm on board for any odd duck that comes along, and this looks much like a Volga or Don riverine gunboat. Pity the poor wretches manning those guns on the rear deck, soaked in spray, seasick, peppered with shrapnel and gunfire--there's just nowhere to hide and they would likely have to be tied to their guns to keep from being swept overboard in heavy seas, or fleeing forward in a panic. What a dreadfully unique design...

[and I want one]

Edited by Stauffenberg44

ValkyrWarframe    1,414

So like all Russian ships, she is excessively big for her class.

Is balanced comrade.

ForgMaxtor    176

... and this looks much like a Volga or Don riverine gunboat. Pity the poor wretches manning those guns on the rear deck, soaked in spray, seasick, peppered with shrapnel and gunfire--there's just nowhere to hide and they would likely have to be tied to their guns to keep from being swept overboard in heavy seas, or fleeing forward in a panic. What a dreadfully unique design...

My thoughts exactly.  On the open ocean, with that low freeboard and long, narrow hull shape, I can't see how she'd stay afloat above Beaufort 5, let alone engage in combat.

Lert    16,237

with that low freeboard and long, narrow hull shape, I can't see how she'd stay afloat above Beaufort 5, let alone engage in combat.

And that would be why she was never built in steel.