You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ctlbulldg06

The End of the Age of Ramming

89 comments in this topic

[NAM-2]
Members
29 posts
6,638 battles

Fellow Captains,

The age of ramming other ships in WOWs has sadly come to an end.  At least, I never see it occur anymore.  To be honest, i wasn't really even keen on the tactic myself, but it did have its place in WOWs.

I believe that ramming as a tactic has for the most part disappeared from WOWs game-play for two reasons.

1)  The preponderance of torpedoes on just about every ship

2)  The reload time of torpedoes

Both reasons are closely interconnected, but what I would argue, is that in re-balancing both you would see a return of ramming as a viable tactic or -- at least see more of it.

1)  These days torpedo armament is more the standard than the exception, players take it in stride that they cannot sail within 6 km of an enemy ship without risk or being sunk. So they stay away, thus reducing the likelihood of two ships being close enough to collide--if even accidentally.

2) If reload times of torpedo tubes was increased, say by half, you may find that players with high awareness would identify when an enemy ship has launched its salvo and is vulnerable to being closely approached.  This would allow a greater chance of the ramming tactic being employed by a low-hp ship.

Again, I'm not arguing that any game-play be changed. Just wanted to point out that I think ramming is dead and what would need to be changed in order to bring it back as a viable tactic.

----UPDATE 4/2/17----

I rammed a Gneisenau and finished off a Belfast last night for a 2x Strike...guess i'll eat my own words for now.

Smooth Sailing,

Ctlbulldg06

Edited by ctlbulldg06

[REVY]
Members
6,720 posts
5,675 battles

Also, ramming was a lesser known tactic in the past, and would catch new players by surprise.  Also, the addition of all the new Tier 6 Battleships armed with big guns that can overmatch bows has lessened the viability of the ramming tactic.

[OTG]
Beta Testers
593 posts
9,375 battles

Also, ramming was a lesser known tactic in the past, and would catch new players by surprise.  Also, the addition of all the new Tier 6 Battleships armed with big guns that can overmatch bows has lessened the viability of the ramming tactic.

I once recieved 25k salvo while bow on. Sheesh.

But to get back to the OP, no need to do anything as drastic and balance altering as changing reload times, just increase the arming distance on the torpedoes.  Then thay can no longer be used as a last ditch ramming avoidance measure.

[AAG]
Beta Testers
77 posts
3,268 battles

I believe a lot of it also has to do with the fact that the game has become way more long ranged.  Not only are people more experienced, and better shots, but we've seen an ongoing trend in less shot dispersion, more open maps, and spammy HE ships that light anything on fire that gets too close, usually with coordination from multiple sources.  Never mind torpedoes, but even just getting within 6km of a target is rare as it is.

[HINON]
Privateers, In AlfaTesters
7,773 posts
2,137 battles

The end?

My Bayern has not seen the news...

Members
221 posts
5,473 battles

When crap hits the fan,

I always go for the ram! (almost rhymed)

[-K-]
Beta Testers
190 posts
4,644 battles

it still happens fairly often in tiers 5-7(watched 3 rams myself last night), definitely happens less at higher tiers where brawls and close combat is uncommon.

Edited by CesilTheDiddler

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,537 battles

I only ram people when I'm certainly going to die. I think too many people go for pointless rams and kill themselves when they could easily shoot the enemy to death, stay alive, and continue in the fight. They would earn more reward that way. Be selfish. Earn more rewards. Don't make stupid rams.

• Cool 3

Beta Testers
578 posts
990 battles

eb29665733e743396a02b27a1d8b1d3a73593661

I quite like ramming people at around tier 5-6. I will take my ARP Kongo out and just have a blast trying to get the glorious ram kills if the time arises

Members
4,237 posts
9,852 battles

Ramming is always an option, as are actually using 4 km range torpedoes. The relative rarity of their employment in battle in no way indicates the use of either is passé.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
2,106 battles

Meanwhile, my only Die-Hard to date was achieved in a Minekaze... :hiding:

[TOG]
Members
4,156 posts
24,101 battles

The last time I rammed was in a T8 match a month. I was in smoke and a Bismark loomed up 3 km away. Running was not an option.  So I went kamikaze. Fires torps then rammed him.

[-K-]
Beta Testers
1,803 posts
11,258 battles

I watched an Iowa ram a Z-46 last night...

• Cool 1

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,885 posts
17,933 battles

Ramming is a tactic, not a strategy.  If my team benefits from the ram, then I ram. If my team benefits from avoiding a ram, then I avoid a ram.

• Cool 2

[MALD]
Members
3,879 posts
22,819 battles

eb29665733e743396a02b27a1d8b1d3a73593661

I quite like ramming people at around tier 5-6. I will take my ARP Kongo out and just have a blast trying to get the glorious ram kills if the time arises

This. My ARP Haruna has ram signal flag on auto resupply.

Beta Testers
578 posts
990 battles

This. My ARP Haruna has ram signal flag on auto resupply.

This^^^^

Same man. I have like 50 ram flags that I never use, except on my ARP Kongo and maybe my Arkansas Beta from time to time

Members
2,300 posts
5,512 battles

I love ramming. I just wish WG sold the ramming flags in the Prem shop. I would buy HUNDREDS of them. The huge credit boost you get when you have a mediocre game going is worth the ram every time. I think most people don't ram because they think they will be charged extra for the replacement of the ship. Or they worry about certain stats that will be harmed. There is NO extra charge against you for ramming, and really, who gives a flying fig about that stat?

[ARP2]
Members
1,368 posts
3,653 battles

Ramming's like any other tactic, there's a time and place to employ it.  I'd say i'm in a position to ram, beneficially to the team, a few times a month.

Then, there are times i do it just for fun.  Thats a planeless Independence.  He brought honor to his family this day.

rVrAPvN.jpg

Edited by Hatework