Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

What Cruisers are good?

36 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
-Members-, Members
9,101 posts
8,050 battles

Personal opinion of course:

- Admiral Hipper/Prinz Eugen                            great AP, great AA. Look like Battleships and they punch like one

- Mogami                                                            want Stealthy gameplay with a Cruiser? Go for her

- Kuma                                                                with the current MM, there is no reason not to like her

- Budyonny                                                         fast and rapid firing. No need to get Schors, just stick to Budy

- Pensacola                                                        Nuts? No! Pepsi is a Cruiser Killer like no other

Alpha Tester
2,716 posts
4,076 battles

Depends on what you want.

Japan has stealthy cruisers with high fire chance and long range torps

US has punchy 203mm guns with high arcs and decent AA (until you get to the higher tiers, not including the Cleveland)

Russia has hard hitting 6" guns with good fire chance, but they turn like a building and have short range torps and are often made of glass

British have AP only 6" guns with different fuses to allow more penetration shots, they also have decent torps but they are made out of tissue paper.

Germany has squishy cruisers with good AP until you hit the Hipper, then you start getting slightly better armor and when you hit the hindenburg you may as well be a battleship. They also (K-Burg up) have 6km torps for self defense / surprise hits

Edited by Batwingsix

Members
808 posts
9,436 battles

Most are good if you learn their strengths, and learn to mitigate their weak points.  Best all around cruisers though......Myoko and Fiji at tier 7 are both pretty darn good.  They play vastly differently though.  Tier 8 I like the Hipper and the Mogami.  I like the Konigsberg at tier 5 it is squishy as all hell though.  Any German cruiser tier 8 - 10 is damn good.  At tier 6 I prefer the Cleveland and the Budyonny.  Most cruisers at tier 4 and lower can be fun and easy to play.  I like the Svetlana at tier 4 and at tier three I like the St Louis and Bogatyr (Play the same), and the Tenryu can be a beast if played right.  I have not played Russian cruiser above tier 6 much at all other thn the Kutuzov which is a premium and I do not count premiums in here.

[JUGGZ]
Members
256 posts
2,930 battles

Basically everything Batwing said.  Each line has gems in them too, but in my opinion IJN and USSR are the most solid top to bottom, followed by RN (a little more hard mode, I don't recommend starting here first if you're new to cruisers as they're kinda crap until T6 and paper all the way up).  If you're new and just starting into cruiser play, it's hard to go wrong learning what you're doing in either the IJN or USSR lines.  I would definitely give all of them a spin at some point though, and at T10 I think they're all pretty good so the grinds aren't really a waste.

Edited by Deviathan

Members
2,709 posts
17,808 battles

My tech tree (non premium ship) experience:

• Started with the USN line, but it was a real grind until I got the Des Moines which can be a load of fun to play.
  • The British and Russian lines have been the most fun for me.
  • I hated the German line with a passion and have no plans to return to it any time soon.
  • The IJN line hasn't suited me well. Hated the long RoF and I seemed to get deleted often without contributing much.

Premium Experience:

• Atlanta - lots of fun, very situational, DD hunter extraordinaire
  • Kutuzov - burns down the house, some call it OP. 
  • Belfast - Even more players consider this one to be OP. Has many tools at it's disposal.
  • Atago - My initial go-to credit earner. First t8 CA to get a heal consumable. Can do a lot of things well.

Members
300 posts
6,969 battles

British

VI Leander

VII FIJI/Belfast(P)

IX NEPTUNE
X MINOTAUR

Japan

VIII Mogami/VIII Atago(P)

X Zao

U.S.A.

VI Cleveland

VII Atlanta/VII Flint ®
IX Baltimore
X Des Moines

U.S.S.R.

V Kirov
VI Budyonny/VI Molotov (P)
VIII Chapayev/VIII Mikhail Kutuzov(P)
IX Dmitri Donskoi
X Moskva

Germany(I have not started this line as it does not offers anything unique)

Just my opinion.these are ships I would keep as they are enjoyable and excel at their given roles.  

Edited by Robinhood_

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,502 battles

Need more data. Batwing, Deviathan, and DIP Scout nailed it. I'd play a bit in each line as by tier 6 most lines have settled into the pattern they'll take all the way to tier 10.

RN line is garbage until it gets good at tier 6, so if you don't like the first few try Leander, if you hate Leander you'll hate the others even though they keep getting better (I'd even say try Fiji at tier 7 as she's the highlight of the line.) Russia has a strong t3-6 and once again, Budyonny at tier 6 is fairly representative of what follows (the first few are all over the place.) USN is also a bit scattered...they're fairly versatile but probably the weakest overall line, and the big shift for USN is when they switch from CLs to Cas at t7 with the Cleveland/Pensacola transition. IJN are fairly good and have strong HE so they can do damage even if you're still working on your aiming, and have consistent 203mm guns from tier 5 up. If you like Aoba, you'll like the following ships.  German line is also kind of scattered...Konigsberg at tier 5 is amazing, nurnberg at t6 plays very similar but weaker compared to the rest of her tier. 

Members
1,091 posts
4,681 battles

The "top" performing cruisers, in my opinion:

• Phoenix (but mostly due to tier 4 matchmaking)
  • Cleveland
  • Fiji
  • Belfast
  • Schors
  • Chapayev
  • Kutuzov
  • Atago

Members
1,947 posts
8,913 battles

Everything that's not the Yorck, New Orleans, or Karlsruhe was fine for me.

RN CL line is the most powerful in the right hands. The line becomes powerful at T6, OP at T7, and then gets a super heal starting at T8

90% of players are better in one of the other lines.

VMF cruisers are great fire starters with good range and ROF but smaller caliber guns at most tiers.

German Cruisers have good AP damage and solid pen, their HE is good for damage but bad for fires. With the exception of weak spots at T4 and T7/8 they perform excellently.

USN Cruisers are the weakest line, but several just got buffed, they are best at AA and starting at the Pensacola they get excellent AP with superior pen but only okay damage. Cleveland at T6 is an excellent CL, good ROF, good AA. DM has some of the best DPM in the game.

IJN cruisers are excellent firestarters with good broadside power but lower ROF. They make the CL to CA transition earlier than other classes, Myoko is a high point at T7, the Zao at T10 is one of my absolute favorites.

Best Prems: Atago, Belfast, Kutuzov, Murmansk is still good but not what it used to be. Atlanta is fun if you enjoy that style of play, but it is not for the faint of heart.

Edited by ckupf

Members
2,246 posts
2,602 battles

Been reading though WOWs wiki trying to find some good Cruisers so decided to just ask?

Molotov (glass jaw, but outrageous guns)

Omaha (Just good at everything)

Furataka (Hard to get used to, but fun once you do.)

Atlanta (It's a flame thrower and very easy to do well in.)

Atago (It just kicks the hell out of everything.)

[SAMPS]
Members
2,408 posts
40,046 battles

Everything that's not the Yorck, New Orleans, or Karlsruhe was fine for me.

RN CL line is the most powerful in the right hands. The line becomes powerful at T6, OP at T7, and then gets a super heal starting at T8

90% of players are better in one of the other lines.

VMF cruisers are great fire starters with good range and ROF but smaller caliber guns at most tiers.

German Cruisers have good AP damage and solid pen, their HE is good for damage but bad for fires. With the exception of weak spots at T4 and T7/8 they perform excellently.

USN Cruisers are the weakest line, but several just got buffed, they are best at AA and starting at the Pensacola they get excellent AP with superior pen but only okay damage. Cleveland at T6 is an excellent CL, good ROF, good AA. DM has some of the best DPM in the game.

IJN cruisers are excellent firestarters with good broadside power but lower ROF. They make the CL to CA transition earlier than other classes, Myoko is a high point at T7, the Zao at T10 is one of my absolute favorites.

Best Prems: Atago, Belfast, Kutuzov, Murmansk is still good but not what it used to be. Atlanta is fun if you enjoy that style of play, but it is not for the faint of heart.

Correction: Cleveland has "I feel dirty and need a shower AA" with a full AA spec and captain skills. Seriously it eats all planes expect for Saipan (obviously) up to and including T8.

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
2,386 posts
14,486 battles

IMHO opinion the Russians have the best cruisers and very competitive Destroyers 

Members
4,479 posts
19,839 battles

What Cruisers are good?

They all are. Some are better than others.

My favs;

Phoenix

Kuma

Graf Spee

Belfast

Atlanta

Atago

AAAAAnd... My newest fav...

Katori! I have a blast playing that 'lil booger!

[-AGW-]
Members
1,159 posts
25,410 battles

I haven't yet bothered with the British cruisers. I don't think the hide-in-smoke thing suits me.

I would give tops to Atago (and clones) and Graf Spee. One flame thrower with torps and one over-gunned CA with torps. The heals also help a lot.

Second line of preference goes to the Mogami (and clones) as well as the Königsberg. With the later don't ever go full speed in a straight line in open water. There's a salvo to delete you heading your way.  

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,337 battles

All depends on your playstyle.

RU: Long range flame throwers

USA: Jack of all trades minus torps

KM: AP masters

IJN: Mid range flame throwers with the best torps on cruisers

British: Floating citadels with smoke and gimmick AP

All depends on what you plan to do. People will tell you their favorite cruiser or what they think is best, but really, all up to you. Someone might do amazing in Cleveland, and someone else hates and abhors the ship.

Someone like me might say "meh" to Myoko and her clones and prefer Yorck, but vice versa.  Try out lines and figure out what you like.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,538 posts
12,810 battles

I think that the best cruisers for our meta are the Russians, especially for a newer/less experienced player.  USN CAs are cruiser killers, I'd avoid them, as there is not a lot of prey.  The IJN cruisers are good, but soft and generally have limited range.  RN cruisers are gimmicky and have a high skill floor.  German cruisers are OK, but frankly, light cruisers work better in the game than heavy cruisers do.

Edited by crzyhawk
  • Cool 1

Members
12,707 posts
14,320 battles

So Cruisers that are basically "pocket Battleships" are no good? Because some of the Japanese Battlships Zi am using now are technically   

Battlecruisers so they sacrifice some armor for speed and armament.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,538 posts
12,810 battles

No, cruisers are good ships, it's just that some are better than others.  the way the game works, cruisers are all about DPM.  When you look at the performance stats, generally speaking, the spam cruisers perform better than the alpha strike cruisers so to speak.

The Alphas perform well in cruiser v cruiser combat.  There's usually fewer cruisers than there are battleships and destroyers, so there are fewer opportunities to excel.  The spammers...they're good at killing DD's and farming battleship damage.  They also do ok vs other cruisers...they are just more versatile.

30,523 posts
6,337 battles

So Cruisers that are basically "pocket Battleships" are no good? Because some of the Japanese Battlships Zi am using now are technically   

If you're looking for Mini BBs, you're not going to find them in ANY cruiser. Just not going to happen.  And none of the IJN cruisers are battlecruisers. You want battlecruisers, you need to look in the IJN BB line.

Edited by TalonV

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
994 posts
12,711 battles

Most historic battlecrusiers are under the battleship line; Kongo, Amagi, Scharnhorst, Gneisenau are all catagorized as battleships in the game. 

Members
4,680 posts

Well, as you can see- ask a bunch of different people, get a bunch of answers!   It's hard to say what's right for you, as we don't know much about what you like or how you play.

We all have favorites, here are mine:   (please note, I like Co-op play for the smaller teams and more aggressive, brawly battles.  I'm in no hurry to get to the top of the ladder, so don't much care that I earn less there.)

Low tiers-

T1:  Black Swan is the only one now that has AP shells, so you can rack up lots of citadel hits.  Erie is also a favorite.

T2:  I personally like Chester, but lots hate it...   Of the five available, Novik and Weymouth are arguably the worst- with moonshot shell arcs that make it very difficult to hit at range.  Weymouth is also very delicate and easy to kill- just like the rest of the UK line.  Chikuma is also good and fun.  Dresden is love it or hate it.  (small, destroyer caliber guns with a high rate of fire, but low damage)

T3:  St Louis and Tenryu.   These are WILDLY different ships- the first is a protected cruiser literally covered in 6" and 3" guns.  Slow, but very well armored.  The latter is basically a destroyer with cruiser guns and a citadel.  Kind of your first taste of what these lines turn out as.  Bogatyr is just like St Louis, but can upgrade to 130mm guns- allowing you to use certain captain skills to improve their rate of fire and range.  Kolburg is exactly like Dresden- just with a couple more guns.   Caledon is, so far, the only british cruiser I enjoyed playing- it's very much like Tenryu, but AP only, with 5 6" guns- and a heal!

T4:  For me, Svietlana is far and away my favorite.  It's a little beast!  covered with 130mm guns, most in casemates along the sides, rather than the deck mounts everyone else has.  This means you almost never have to wait for a reload, or for turrets to turn.  It also has 4, triple torpedo tubes- 2 per side.  4 km, and fairly low damage- but there are a lot of them.   Getting BFT and AFT on the captain is key.  IFHE is also a good choice. a bit slower than the others, and it turns like a brick- but that just means it has a different playstyle.  Pewpewpew, torptorptorp- pretty much describes it, lol.   Phoenix is my other favorite.  Compared to St Louis, she feels like a thoroughbred race horse.  Fast, very maneuverable, and it has torps!   Paper armor though- you have to USE that speed and maneuverability to stay alive.  Once you've got that down, Phoenix can be a beast.   Kuma is a very popular choice, but I was ambivalent about it.   Danae and Karlsruhe are the dogs in this tier.

T5:  All are pretty good- except for the British cruiser.  That one still kinda sux.  I liked Konigsburg and Furutaka the best, but Omaha and Kirov are good, too.

T6:  I loved the Nurnberg, but a lot of people don't.  It's nearly the same ship as Konigsburg a tier higher, but it clicked with me.  Utterly destroying thinly armored Russian and British cruisers from range in a salvo or two is great fun!  Nurny is no beast in the armor dept either, and your modules will break frequently- but it IS fast and long ranged.  Your rate of fire is very high too.  6 km, high damage torpedoes are great for kiting and ambushes/ "OH SH$%" moments.   Buddy, Aoba, Cleveland are all pretty good, too.  Cleve and Aoba are fairly tough if played well- and can dish out the damage.  Buddy has paper mache armor, and turns like crap- but has very good guns.   Leander is just not my cup of tea...

T7:  I love my Yorck!!  Yorck is an anomaly- it's a German cruiser with good HE shells.  Since Pensacola got a buff to her concealment, a permanent camo, and the skills got reorganized, it's become another favorite to play.  Really good rudder shift, fast, and 10 hard hitting 8" guns arranged 5 forward and 5 aft.  Now that it isn't spotted from spawn, it plays much better.  It is a treaty cruiser, with crap armor- but it dodges incoming very well.  Excellent AP performance!!  The more I learn how this ship wants to be played, the more I like it.  You'll die often and easily, but when you don't, those guns will tear things apart.  I do not yet have the other three.

T8:  I only have 1 tech tree ship so far- the Admiral Hipper- but I love it!  Very accurate, and hard hitting guns and decent armor protection.  To me, it plays like an improved Yorck.

[WOLF5]
Members
39,261 posts
31,549 battles

Each of the Cruiser lines has strengths and major issues.  One line in particular has more "major issues."

USN Cruisers

The most mediocre of the Cruiser lines.  You lose torpedoes in the tech tree starting at VI on.  Players will push aggressively against you when they know your Cruiser has no torpedoes.  You don't get anything in compensation.  Your gun range is average, shell flight characteristics are average, but the AP is solid.  Pensacola, New Orleans, Baltimore, Des Moines got buffed very recently with Pensacola and B-More getting the best of the buffs.  Premium Indianapolis getting buffed sometime soon also.  Cleveland and Baltimore are actually tough as Cruisers but the rest are very mediocre or awful.  The characteristic of "National Flavor of AA" for USN ships isn't a strength anymore that USN Cruisers can claim.  Other Cruiser lines develop lethal AA capability, it's just USN Cruisers do it sooner.  If you haven't realized it yet, I'm trying to find good things to say about this line, but honestly there's not much good to it.

Highlight Ships (IMO):  Cleveland, Baltimore (*GASP*), Des Moines (fastest shooting CA in the game).

IJN Cruisers

They had long been popular in the game.  On average packed with lots of guns (esp. Tier VII onwards), the game's hardest hitting HE Cruiser shells and highest built in Fire%, coupled with the game's longest ranged, fastest, most powerful Cruiser torpedoes.  There are 3 catches though.

1.  Torpedo arcs vary in usefulness starting from Tier VII on.

2.  IJN Cruisers packing lots of weapons?  They are floating citadels.

3.  AA tends to be very mediocre, but at least you get access to Defensive Fire eventually.

Their shells, weapons, torpedoes and decent to great stealth make IJN Cruisers a threat to anyone.

Highlight Ships:  Myoko and her many clones, 155-Mogami (for unique CL IJN play past Tier IV), Atago (Premium), and of course... ZAO.

RU Cruisers

This is a Cruiser line of extremes.

1.  Rely on CL-grade weapons the most than any other line until the RN CL line came out.  152mm is the staple of the line.  180mm is seen at Tier V and IX in the tech tree, 3 if you get Premium Tier VI Molotov.

2.  Serviceable HE & AP shells, not the best but not the worst.  However, these are spammy Cruisers with fast ROF.

3.  Their shells are a pleasure to shoot at range up and down the line.

4.  Combine 2 & 3, give them Demo Expert, and you can torment Battleships and be dangerous to other Cruisers and even Destroyers.  RU Cruisers epitomize "Range, Range, and more Range" in their combat.

5.  I said they epitomize Range, right?  Here's another reason why.  A lot of RU Cruisers have awful armor and some have very mediocre handling characteristics, as well as 4km ranged torps for most of them.  Brawling / Knife Fighting  with a RU Cruiser is very, very risky.

If you're the type of player that likes to sneak in close and fight at short range with a Cruiser, RU Cruisers is not the right line for you.

Highlight Ships:  130-Bogatyr, Svietlana, Tier VI Budyonny onwards.

German Cruisers

This is a line I want to like.  For every nice thing I feel about it, there's something awful about them.

The Good

1.  Their shells behave very well at range, they feel just as good shooting at range as the RU Cruisers.

2.  Very good AP shell damage values.

3.  Very useful 6km torpedoes and useful torpedo tube arcs.

4.  Eventually develop at Tier VIII on good long range AA capability, equaling or eclipsing USN Cruisers in AA.

The Bad

1.  High AP shell dmg, cool right?  Not so fast.  German Cruiser AP bounces, non-pens a lot.  They lose power at range.

2.  To "offset" that high AP shell dmg, German Cruiser HE shells are the worst in dmg value and Fire%.  This is irritating because I have found to rely on HE more on German Cruisers because the AP bounces / non-pens so much.  The German shell issue really keeps this line back from shining like it should.  You eventually learn to emphasize HE and Demolition Expert on German Cruisers to make up for the failings of their AP & HE shells.

3.  If you're thinking, "German Battleships are tough, maybe their Cruisers are just as tough for Cruisers?"  No, they're average in protection.  Even "Battleship" Hindenburg can get easily rekt.

HIghlight Ships:  Konigsberg, Yorck (controversial, but unlike every other ship in this line, actually has great HE capability;  Undeserved negative reputation), Roon, Hindenburg

RN CLs

The newest Cruiser line in the game and the first with only CL-grade weapons.  This line gives players a lot of tools to be an asset but the line is also, easily, by far the most unforgiving Cruiser line in the game.

The Good

1.  Fairly spammy to very spammy guns.

2.  RN CL AP has better chance to penetrate and do damage at more angles than other Cruiser AP shells.

3.  Gain access to Smoke and Repair Party consumables, things other Cruiser lines would be envious of.

4.  Tier IX+ are AA Monsters

5.  Torpedo capability in the entire line, except for Tier VII Premium Belfast.  Also has the unique gimmick of single or salvo launching torpedoes.

The Bad

1.  The tech tree ships are marked by having no HE capability.  If a Cruiser or BB is charging an RN CL, their AP performance drops dramatically against bow on / sharply angled targets.  If your torpedoes miss, then you got problems to deal damage because the lack of HE nor Fires means you got no reliable means to dmg such foes as they charge you, pop Radar into your smoke, then everyone lights you up.

2.  Armor is horrible.  The worst armored Cruisers in the game, as a line.  Make the RU Cruisers look like tanks.  Tier V and below are so bad that DD-grade guns firing HE will citadel them.  Even past Tier V, RN CLs are still flimsy and other Cruisers will wreck them if they can get a clean shot in.  The most devastating salvo I suffered in an RN CL was when my Neptune got t-boned by a Zao at 13km firing AP straight into my sides.  The Zao player said he got SIX CITADELS on me.  I had a high amount of HP and I got insta-rekt.  That's bad.  Now imagine if a BB gets to do that.  RN CLs are armored like DDs, but unlike DDs, RN CLs have citadels, some of them huge and high.

3.  Having smoke is great but there's a very major problem.  The active time of smoke dropping is ridiculously short.  A few puffs of smoke and no more.  The smoke pattern is very small.  Some players are getting good in "guess-timating" firing their guns into that very small smoke pattern and getting hits.  Smoke, as always, attracts torpedoes.  In RN CL smoke, there's no room to maneuver, so to evade torps fired at its smoke the RN CL has to run out of smoke... To then get crucified by all the BBs waiting for him to do that.  Even CVs are getting aggressive as they will manual drop torpedoes into that small smoke pattern and can do the same threat as a DD dropping torps into it.

Highlight Ships:  Tier VI Leander onwards.  IV and V are bad, but VI on, the line simply shines.  But again, the line as a whole is totally unforgiving for mistakes.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

30,523 posts
6,337 battles

Each of the Cruiser lines has strengths and major issues.  One line in particular has more "major issues."

USN Cruisers

The most mediocre of the Cruiser lines.  You lose torpedoes in the tech tree starting at VII on.  Players will push aggressively against you when they know your Cruiser has no torpedoes.  You don't get anything in compensation.  Your gun range is average, shell flight characteristics are average, but the AP is solid.  Pensacola, New Orleans, Baltimore, Des Moines got buffed very recently with Pensacola and B-More getting the best of the buffs.  Premium Indianapolis getting buffed sometime soon also.  Cleveland and Baltimore are actually tough as Cruisers but the rest are very mediocre or awful.  The characteristic of "National Flavor of AA" for USN ships isn't a strength anymore that USN Cruisers can claim.  Other Cruiser lines develop lethal AA capability, it's just USN Cruisers do it sooner.  If you haven't realized it yet, I'm trying to find good things to say about this line, but honestly there's not much good to it.

Highlight Ships (IMO):  Cleveland, Baltimore (*GASP*), Des Moines (fastest shooting CA in the game).

IJN Cruisers

They had long been popular in the game.  On average packed with lots of guns (esp. Tier VII onwards), the game's hardest hitting HE Cruiser shells and highest built in Fire%, coupled with the game's longest ranged, fastest, most powerful Cruiser torpedoes.  There are 3 catches though.

1.  Torpedo arcs vary in usefulness starting from Tier VII on.

2.  IJN Cruisers packing lots of weapons?  They are floating citadels.

3.  AA tends to be very mediocre, but at least you get access to Defensive Fire eventually.

Their shells, weapons, torpedoes and decent to great stealth make IJN Cruisers a threat to anyone.

Highlight Ships:  Myoko and her many clones, 155-Mogami (for unique CL IJN play past Tier IV), Atago (Premium), and of course... ZAO.

RU Cruisers

This is a Cruiser line of extremes.

1.  Rely on CL-grade weapons the most than any other line until the RN CL line came out.  152mm is the staple of the line.  180mm is seen at Tier V and IX in the tech tree, 3 if you get Premium Tier VI Molotov.

2.  Serviceable HE & AP shells, not the best but not the worst.  However, these are spammy Cruisers with fast ROF.

3.  Their shells are a pleasure to shoot at range up and down the line.

4.  Combine 2 & 3, give them Demo Expert, and you can torment Battleships and be dangerous to other Cruisers and even Destroyers.  RU Cruisers epitomize "Range, Range, and more Range" in their combat.

5.  I said they epitomize Range, right?  Here's another reason why.  A lot of RU Cruisers have awful armor and some have very mediocre handling characteristics, as well as 4km ranged torps for most of them.  Brawling / Knife Fighting  with a RU Cruiser is very, very risky.

If you're the type of player that likes to sneak in close and fight at short range with a Cruiser, RU Cruisers is not the right line for you.

Highlight Ships:  T130-Bogatyr, Svietlana, Tier VI Budyonny onwards.

German Cruisers

This is a line I want to like.  For every nice thing I feel about it, there's something awful about them.

The Good

1.  Their shells behave very well at range, they feel just as good shooting at range as the RU Cruisers.

2.  Very good AP shell damage values.

3.  Very useful 6km torpedoes and useful torpedo tube arcs.

4.  Eventually develop at Tier VIII on good long range AA capability, equaling or eclipsing USN Cruisers in AA.

The Bad

1.  High AP shell dmg, cool right?  Not so fast.  German Cruiser AP bounces, non-pens a lot.  They lose power at range.

2.  To "offset" that high AP shell dmg, German Cruiser HE shells are the worst in dmg value and Fire%.  This is irritating because I have found to rely on HE more on German Cruisers because the AP bounces / non-pens so much.  The German shell issue really keeps this line back from shining like it should.  You eventually learn to emphasize HE and Demolition Expert on German Cruisers to make up for the failings of their AP & HE shells.

3.  If you're thinking, "German Battleships are tough, maybe their Cruisers are just as tough for Cruisers?"  No, they're average in protection.  Even "Battleship" Hindenburg can get easily rekt.

HIghlight Ships:  Konigsberg, Yorck (controversial, but unlike every other ship in this line, actually has great HE capability;  Undeserved negative reputation), Roon, Hindenburg

RN CLs

The newest Cruiser line in the game and the first with only CL-grade weapons.  This line gives players a lot of tools to be an asset but the line is also, easily, by far the most unforgiving Cruiser line in the game.

The Good

1.  Fairly spammy to very spammy guns.

2.  RN CL AP has better chance to penetrate and do damage at more angles than other Cruiser AP shells.

3.  Gain access to Smoke and Repair Party consumables, things other Cruiser lines would be envious of.

4.  Tier IX+ are AA Monsters

5.  Torpedo capability in the entire line, except for Tier VII Premium Belfast.  Also has the unique gimmick of single or salvo launching torpedoes.

The Bad

1.  The tech tree ships are marked by having no HE capability.  If a Cruiser or BB is charging an RN CL, their AP performance drops dramatically against bow on / sharply angled targets.  If your torpedoes miss, then you got problems to deal damage because the lack of HE nor Fires means you got no reliable means to dmg such foes as they charge you, pop Radar into your smoke, then everyone lights you up.

2.  Armor is horrible.  The worst armored Cruisers in the game, as a line.  Make the RU Cruisers look like tanks.  Tier V and below are so bad that DD-grade guns firing HE will citadel them.  Even past Tier V, RN CLs are still flimsy and other Cruisers will wreck them if they can get a clean shot in.  The most devastating salvo I suffered in an RN CL was when my Neptune got t-boned by a Zao at 13km firing AP straight into my sides.  The Zao player said he got SIX CITADELS on me.  I had a a high amount of HP and I got insta-rekt.  That's bad.  Now imagine if a BB gets to do that.  RN CLs are armored like DDs, but unlike DDs, RN CLs have citadels, some of them huge and high.

3.  Having smoke is great but there's a very major problem.  The active time of smoke dropping is ridiculously short.  A few puffs of smoke and no more.  The smoke pattern is very small.  Some players are getting good in "guess-timating" firing their guns into that very small smoke pattern and getting hits.  Smoke, as always, attracts torpedoes.  In RN CL smoke, there's no room to maneuver, so to evade torps fired at its smoke the RN CL has to run out of smoke... To then get crucified by all the BBs waiting for him to do that.  Even CVs are getting aggressive as they will manual drop torpedoes into that small smoke pattern and can do the same threat as a DD dropping torps into it.

Highlight Ships:  Tier VI Leander onwards.  IV and V are bad, but VI on, the line simply shines.  But again, the line as a whole is totally unforgiving for mistakes.

Umm you got one thing wrong with USN cruisers, they lose their torps at tier 6, not 7. Cleveland doesn't have torps.

Sign in to follow this