Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vaporisor

Personal thoughts, How aggressive should you play?

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

7 posts in this topic

Common theme in chats.  Peeps camping and sometimes peeps feeding.  Mostly camping.  I see it often.  The one person rushing out without considering the team then broadcasts needs assistance, or the one who takes no damage and deals none the whole match.

How aggressive do I play?  Well I take mantra from an unlikely source.

Motorsports

Cosworth had an interesting saying.  "If everything doesnt break the moment you cross the finish line, it was built too strong"

I view the same for aggression and damage.  When the match ends, if I am not in the red, I was too conservative.  If I died early, too aggressive.  It is easier to say then do.  It requires getting the feel of the ship and read the map.  Pushing ahead and stick with team under heavy fire, push for exposed flank otherwise.  If it looks bad, then fall back, reposition  if a tankier ship ensure peeps push up with you, be ready to fall back and have a team mate take over.  The enemy focuses on you as you are retreating allowing that full health to get in and deal heavy damage.

This was reinforced to me yesterday. I am working on learning the US line and was doing a match in omaha, I saw I pushed up too hard and turned back.  Got hit hard, but I focused on defense and evasion over damage.  Result was enemy kept fire focused on me allowing team to get in a good position.  

I finished map with 203 hp, but even though I was limited in level of aggression, I still dealt considerable damage that would not have happened had I kept being aggressive and died early.  Under same note, I have had matches where peeps got mad because I wasnt aggresive enough, but I was at a position where peeps did shoot at me and through the match, people did shoot and did damage, but it was managed.  So low health end of map, and increased fire and proximity as we gained advantage.  Had I pushed harder, I would have died earlier and done less.

Exception is suicide runs.  Sometimes there can be that opportunity where rushing to death can make the match.  This is most notable in torpedo ships.  If that opportunity presents, deal a guaranteed massive damage or a ram, tip balance in favor.  But should only rush to death if you are 100% sure you will hit as intended.

Eh, dying hard is always the way to go I guess if you want to make your full contribution to the team.

There are times to push and there are not times to push.

The people that really annoy me are the ones who hyperextend themselves and type in chat: "Why is no one pushing u r all a bunch of pu**ies"

TBH I have a rule. It isn't the best rule but at least it's a rule. I always strive to take as much xp from the enemy as the HP of my own ship - before the match ends or I die. In my book that's an average match. 

Obviously... the higher the tier, the higher the HP pool on your ship so the harder you have to work to achieve it. I figure if every soul on the green team did this, we'd win far more often than we do. ;-) 

The people that really annoy me are the ones who hyperextend themselves and type in chat: "Why is no one pushing u r all a bunch of pu**ies"

Oh gees!  That is my number one peev.  I am primary Russian cruiser play at this time, working on branching out.  I was tiered up to a tier X match.  I cannot remember what map it was anymore, but it had an open expanse of water.  The red ships had cover, smoke etc and outnumbered our one side.  Our FDG pushed in and got taken out by a dessie, then got mad at me for not following in to radar for em.  However if I did, I would have been quickly deleted as well, then our team would have been down two ships for no real gain.  However if we did run and gun, keep our broadsides from being exposed and repositioned, it would have worked quite different.  I have had many battles with the russian ships and my limited play in the US BBs, were retreating fire has been quite effective.  Drawing and holding off fire from superior numbers gives team time to get an advantage.  Yeah, might not be best for overall damage done, but win first, peak damage second in my books ^.^

The ones who generally seem to die early are those who lead and do all the hard work while the rest rest or hide and come in later to clean up. I have quit leading in and will now wait for others to get involved. Shammers can ruin it for all.

Well quite frankly , often they are.  When 6 greens see 3 reds, its not the one ship that charges to push the advantage thats in the wrong.

When the Colorado plods on towards the 3 DDs, he is not trying to commit suicide he is postioning himself to support the DD and RN CL that is with him while they DD screen/hunt/kill.

Like you said, there is a time to push dont automatically asume that the lone guy who charged on is the one in the wrong.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0