You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Octavius_Cutler

Poor, Poor Emerald

55 comments in this topic

[RESP] Stampz
861 posts
6,914 battles

Up to the Fiji now, the British line has been good to me.  My Fiji win % is down, but that's cause it's a small sample with the ship still stock.  Fairly sure once I get a few more games in her, it'll climb back up.

[NASTY] icehaddock
104 posts
4,983 battles

my emerald experience was binary.  I had either bad games where I got deleted early or I had good games.  I once sunk 6 ships in a game  Only done that once before and that was in Isokaze.

Leander is  better but for whatever reason my relative performance in Leander is much worse than in Emerald in every way.   Go figure that one out

In AlfaTesters
3,737 posts
3,052 battles

I sold Emerald to rebuy my Mogami, I gave up on her. I want to get some gold so I can just free XP out of this PoS so I can enjoy the real Brit cruisers starting at Leander and then at Fiji.

~Hunter

72 posts
3,761 battles

Here is the formula:  PA + SR = TF

Paper Armor + Short Range = Total Failure

Ships with paper thin armor can be OK if they have decent range on their guns, but crapwagons like the Emerald that force you to be close are near suicidal to play.  

I had to Free XP my way past it because my virtual sailors had unionized and were threatening to go on strike if I kept playing the darn thing.

[KP] IronMike11B4O
1,898 posts
17,892 battles

OP you say you have great games in it? A quick fact check of your stats says that is a lie. As I was typing that last part I was hearing Maury Povich voice. Seriously you are red across the board that can't be any fun.

[SYN] MrDeaf
14,323 posts
9,793 battles
1 hour ago, Mike_Brase said:

OP you say you have great games in it? A quick fact check of your stats says that is a lie. As I was typing that last part I was hearing Maury Povich voice. Seriously you are red across the board that can't be any fun.

Nah, you can have fun while being bad.
You just need to have like 20 beers, at which point anything is fun and funny.

[V_KNG] Pete_Darling
547 posts
7,973 battles

This is why low tier is not fun. My Caledon has a better than average Survival % but that is still only 27%. Don't get me wrong, I'm not the best player (And I just realized that I haven't even spec'd my 6 point captain) but it's not fun to get deleted every game. With these ships it's not a matter of angling you simply have to avoid damage at all costs. It's like you have to drive it like a DD but it's not a DD. Sure you can have some fun games, I think my high game Danae was a 3 Kill for 63K damage, but you don't get them all that often. I'll have Emerald soon but I can see it being a real struggle at tier 5. 

Edited by Pete_Darling

86 posts
1,449 battles
On 6/28/2017 at 2:22 AM, MrDeaf said:

Nah, you can have fun while being bad.
You just need to have like 20 beers, at which point anything is fun and funny.

This is very true 

[ARGSY] Ensign_Cthulhu
4,544 posts
3,277 battles

I had not yet considered playing the Emerald, or even this game, while drunk before.

Chances are that if I do that after failing so hard while sober, I will take her into a Random battle full of T7 Unicum players in Scharnhorsts and wipe the floor with them. (Okay, I'm joking, but I think you know what I mean.)

(It goes without saying that if such a thing did happen, it would also be the occasion on which the game-record function failed, or an update dropped the minute the game ended, denying me all proof :p )

20 posts
1,630 battles
On 3/4/2017 at 8:48 PM, Octavius_Cutler said:

Why does everyone hate this ship? It's by far one of my favourite ships in-game. I dunno, I have a lot of good games in it.

I couldn't agree more! Thank you!

• Cool 1

[--1--] Iron_Salvo921
97 posts
2,046 battles

Emerald was one of the longest grinds for me. It has it's cits on the outside of the paper thin armour it doesn't have. Also, it has weak guns, short-range torpedoes, bad AA, bad secondary armament. However it's worth it as Leander is so amazing.

[E-E] HazeGrayUnderway
[E-E]
14,572 posts
13,232 battles

There are 2 good things about Emerald.

1.  For all your enemies, Emerald is quick and easy XPs and Credits.  1-2 good salvos and she's done.  You can then move on to the rest of the game and reap the massive rewards of 1-2 shotting a ship.  Even DDs can citadel the ever-living-sh*t out of Emerald with small caliber gunfire.

2.  The last good thing about Emerald is the feeling when you unlock and buy Leander to leave Emerald far behind.

[TRI4D] Texas_Vet
228 posts
5,019 battles

I greatly disliked the Emerald.  But really love the Tier 6 Leander.  Fantastic!  Huge difference is capabilities!  Just got the Fiji, and another wow!  WOW!  It is worth the grind for these two, but painful for all below the Leander.

[E-E] HazeGrayUnderway
[E-E]
14,572 posts
13,232 battles
Posted (edited)

I witnessed something so hilarious.

We had this Emerald that had hid for almost the entire game, saw we were winning big, then decided to come down to the enemy cap for easy points.  The only enemy ship in the area was an Emile Bertin.

IWQjB6z.jpg

The enemy Cruiser was under attack from Emerald, Fujin, New Mexico.  She wasn't going to last long.  But apparently Emerald thinks it's bad a$$ enough to pile on and maybe get the kill.  Except...

ZD03sln.jpg

2 salvos and D.U.N.

Take your a$$ back to port.

Emerald is such a garbage a$$ ship.

Suck a$$ guns.

Suck a$$ torps.

Suck a$$ armor.

Suck a$$ concealment.

Suck a$$ ship.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

15 posts
1,244 battles

I've never played the Emrald, but facing them is a joke. I was in a Mutsuki trying to cap, and here comes an almost undamaged Emrald. Spotted, torps were on the reload, so thinking I'm going to die anyway might as well fire a few rounds from my little pop gun for laughs. To my absolute surprise I started scoring cits with HE through his BOW! I got my aft gun into play and after a brief struggle sunk it with just my guns! I outgunned an Emrald....in a Mutsuki! Whaaaat! 

[PVE] AdmiralThunder
[PVE]
4,638 posts
9,404 battles
Posted (edited)
On 4/22/2018 at 8:05 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Emerald is such a garbage a$$ ship.

Suck a$$ guns.

Suck a$$ torps.

Suck a$$ armor.

Suck a$$ concealment.

Suck a$$ ship.

The guns actually aren't that bad. The issue is the layout and how many you can bring to bear, safely, on a given target. When you can give a full salvo you can put a big hurt on any Cruiser you face, do a lot of harm to DD's, and pick up decent salvos on BB super structure. If it had a traditional multi gun p/ turret setup like Leander and up it would be a lot better. 

Sucka$$ torps? Ummm? I usually agree with you on most things but can't on this. It's torps are actually a strength and pretty good. A tad slow at just 59 knots but with dual 4 torp launchers p/ side Emerald can put a hurt on anything it will face with torps. 6km range is workable.

I have to disagree about sucka$$ armor too. Why? Because it doesn't have any! Emerald just has a big ship wide citadel protected with tissue paper. :Smile_teethhappy:

Concealment isn't horrendous. 10.1km w/ CE. That isn't DD stealth levels or anything but it has the best concealment of any T5 Cruiser in the game (that I know of/can get stats for) and it is by a good measure vs most of them (stats w/ CE)...

1. Emerald - 10.1
  2. Furutaka - 10.7
  3. Konigsberg - 10.9
  4. Emile Bertin - 11.1
  5. Marblehead/Murmansk - 11.5
  6. Omaha/Marblehead L - 11.9
  7. Krasny Krym - 12.0
  8. Kirov - 12.5

I actually kind of like Emerald. I don't think it is a garbage ship. Not a power house but it can be good and it can be fun if played properly. Good speed, concealment, torps, smoke, heal, etc... Like all BRN CL's though (and even beasts like Fiji and Minotaur) you have to be careful exposing yourself to enemy fire. It is a fragile ship for sure.

It was a difficult grind when I went through it originally but I was new(er) to the game and didn't know what I do now. I have since reached Minotaur and now know how to play BRN CL's to the max advantage. I never even hated it way back then. I recently repurchased it and have been having a blast playing it once more. I am a much better player now so I do a lot better in it. Just one of those ships most hate that I do well in a guess.

h6oIauU.jpg

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[E-E] HazeGrayUnderway
[E-E]
14,572 posts
13,232 battles
Posted (edited)

I actually get excited when I see Emeralds.  Because it's time to pad my stats by deleting them and their weapons are of zero threat to me.

Battleship.

Another Cruiser.

Even a DD.

It doesn't matter what I use.

Emerald stands no chance and is easy to citadel and kill, even with DD Guns.  When a Sims can straight up roll up to an Emerald and gun her down with 127mm, bagging citadels and damage, killing her quick, I have absolutely zero respect for the ship.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLFA] legoboy0401
3,027 posts
1,915 battles
Posted (edited)

jah. Emerald isn't great, I'll acknowledge that. I think the primary issue is range, or rather the lack of it, on all of Emerald's weapon systems. 6.0 km is a ridiculously terrible range for a ship who's guns are so situational. The gun range is okay, not great, but range for the main battery matters little when barely anything happens when you hit an enemy ship with it. 

Another, though smaller issue is for sure the concealment. It's a tier V ship, barely anyone has a 10 point captain on it with CE, so that good concealment is generally only available to sealclubbers in the Emerald(super rare) or nobody. The kind of detectability that Emerald gets baseline is pretty darn poor. The Emerald game would be well-likened to devs giving a Fuso smoke and hydro, and claiming that that makes the Fuso good at vision control. No, it doesn't. Vision control is as much about the concealment/stealthiness of your own ship as it is about consumables. Emerald may have smoke, yes, but that doesn't mean she's necessarily great at vision control, because smoke has a cooldown, you know.

Still, though, there's the satisfaction of getting an Emerald that's actually done some damage and gotten a kill to the end of the match without dying. There is that.

With all that said, I kind of enjoy playing a bad ship in a manner that trolls the enemy team by not allowing them to delete me.

Edited by legoboy0401

[KREW] CaptDavid
[KREW]
119 posts
1,547 battles
On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 4:05 AM, MrDeaf said:

Unfortunately, some of those don't really apply to Emerald.

1. Emerald will eat citadels bow on, from HE fired by DDs
  2. If it weren't for its poor shell performance and horrible concealment range...
  3. Yes, also don't be the first to be spotted, which might be hard considering the concealment range and poor gun performance.
  4. In fact, this is pretty much the entire UK line right here. Picking fights at caps are easy, but if there are no caps to fight over, there's really nothing to do except defend and camp.

I tried the Emerald as a Pirate but I was spamming so many torps it was over kill I almost forgot to let them kill me lol just drop the smoke and ambush near an Island, Why would you use its guns when its filled with torpedo's.

[E-E] HazeGrayUnderway
[E-E]
14,572 posts
13,232 battles

Emerald is so awful, Kaga can citadel it with an HE Dive Bomber unit.

[KREW] CaptDavid
[KREW]
119 posts
1,547 battles

HMS Emerald is no more squishy then most tier V ships and I have eaten DD's you just have to know how to use her toe to toe knife fights are out, stealth and concealment Assassination is the way. Here poor little BB got in my way chasing me was his flaw. Arrgh!

Specs: torpedo's speed 62

torpedo range 7+km

upgrade the ship and it will surprise you a level 10 captain helps but you can get by with a level 3 until you upgrade him.

HMS Emereld.jpg

Edited by CaptDavid

[--1--] Iron_Salvo921
97 posts
2,046 battles

9/10 salvos I devastating strike Emerald. She was the worst grind I've ever got through even worse then pepsi. But Leander and Edinburgh is so worth it.

[LEGIO] Lampshade_M1A2
2,861 posts
5,252 battles

The Emerald is so easy to kill that I get way too excited if I ever see one in range of my cruiser or battleship.

The only threat it can possibly pose is from its torpedoes although it will be dead before those torps hit.

8 posts
498 battles

With all the praises (?) here, should I just free exp past the Emerald? I'm now at Emerald, all modules researched, the only thing left is researching Leander and I have 10k exp in the Emerald at the moment. All of them grinding in Random Battles.

Anyway, from personal experience, I'm used to everyone in Tier 9 matches aiming at Chi-Ri back in World of Tanks the moment they spotted me before (Chi-Ri is essentially Tank version of Emerald at 2 tiers higher in Matchmaking if you don't know). I know that when that happened, they're not attacking someone who actually can win the game. I played to win, not to stat pad, so I'm fine with being a bait if it mean giving my team free shots at enemy ships/tanks while they trying to kill me.

Speaking of which; I still remember fondly the time where in WoT Chi-Ri netted my team free kills on Tier 9 tank because they keep pointing their turret at Chi-Ri's cover, waiting for it to come out while my teammates stood still in their plain view pounding them to scrap as they refused to look away from said squishy tank that cannot do any damage back because said tank is much, much easier to damage and pad stats than those tanks shooting at them (except that it didn't come out at all until those Tier 9 tanks are dead). I bet that there're some players in WoWS that will do that to Emerald too - waiting for it to come out of cover and ignore everyone pounding away their ship in full view and in their gun range that is.

Edited by thepingman