Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Dorja

Met My Goal for Ranked This Season! Image heavy

9 comments in this topic

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

So for the first time ever in ranked, I've officially reached my goal! I also accidentally closed the screen where it shows that you ranked up, so this had to do for my glorious screenshot moment. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Capture_10.png

That's right! It's not terribly glamorous, but I reached Rank 11 and that was all I was really hoping for. I play ranked for a few reasons. The gameplay is a bit more challenging, and it's fun because of that. It's also nice to rake in the sweet rewards of gaining the various ranks. I'll likely never reach Rank 1 even one time, so despite the great rewards of dubloons I just don't even consider it anymore. Ranking out 3 times for Flint or 5 times for Black is so unlikely to me that saying "it's not on my radar" would be an understatement of massive proportion. Like, it's so far off my radar, I don't think I could see myself at the helm of Flint or Black if I used the freaking Hubble Space Telescope. Rank 11 though, I can do that. I will likely play on a bit more, but after rank 11, there are just no rewards I actually want. Ok, I'd take that radar duration thingy, and I'd take the dubloons and the ships, but like I said... Hubble Space Telescopes or whatever. Out of my reach.

For this fun bit of ranked, I'd like to thank the following ships.
#1 Shiratsuyu (no I don't own the prem camo - I just hate how Ocean Soul looks so I screen capped while previewing something less heinous).

Shirat.png

I played 13 matches with Shiratsuyu, and managed 8 wins with her. Most of my 5 defeats with her came in the first couple days while I was still refining exactly how to use her in ranked. I found Shiratsuyu to be a particularly effective answer to the Belfast. Once I had an idea where the Belfast was likely to go, I could position myself on his flank and when Belfast popped smoke, I would pop 16 torpedoes into it and either kill, or drive the Belfast into open water in a panic resulting in death. It was very effective. She can also do reasonable work against enemy DDs with her guns, and her great stealth and mobility really let me range across the field to where I was needed to do the most good. I'm a firm believer in the concept that on 2 cap domination, if a team has 2 DDs, one should go with the team to the main objective, but the other should be capable of ranging solo to the other cap to investigate if that cap can be taken with no opposition. Shiratsuyu has the speed to make that sort of run, the stealth to spot the area before over committing, and her torpedoes and smoke allow you to drop a protective screen and disengage when required. Since I had a reasonably well skilled captain (something like 12 points) compared to a low skill captain for my Mahan, I just found Shiratsuyu to be the best all around DD for me. Shiratsuyu results below.

Shirat%20Stats.png

#2 Gneisenau. (I like how this camo looks, I have like 200 of them still, and who doesn't want more FEXP?)

Gneis.png

I swapped to Gneisenau because Scharnhorst just wasn't doing that well for me. I also played one in Nagato and did great, but that was largely due to extremely kind MM (1 BB,1 DD and 5 mediocre CA drivers in weak CAs on Neighbors). I only used Gneisenau 4 times, but the heavier firepower of her 15" guns seems to have helped because I did very well in her in those 4 games. With that firepower, as long as I chose a good time, I could attack into many enemy battleships and cruisers and if I died, I knew I wasn't going to die alone. In one match, I dead over 130,000 damage and at one point attacked a Pensacola, a full HP Scharnhorst, and a Yorck in quick succession at close range (read as under 6km). I was already on low HP from a close encounter with an enemy Gneisenau (whom I killed in single combat). The Yorck finally got me with torpedoes, but not before I got him and both his friends, killing 4 out of 7 enemies and crushing their entire flank, which let our team come back for the win. I realize after saying this that I only got 2 kills in that match. Someone else got final blows on the Pensa and the Gneisenau, but I did like 95% damage to both of them. I'm claiming those as kills. Results blow.

Gneis%20Stats.png

#3 The Dark Horse - Indianapolis. (Running Restless Fire for the bonus Commander EXP. This is my Des Moines captain and I want him to reach 19 points, so Restless Fire it is)

Indianapolis.png

I only used Indianapolis 4 times total,and I went 2 and 2 with her. The first time I tried playing here was in my 2nd ranked match of the season and got seriously screwed over by #YOLO team mates. They did something really dumb, and when I asked why they thought it was a good idea, they literally answered, "Why not?" Yeah... In the other 3 matches it was much better. I own the Belfast and also the Atlanta, but I honestly felt that my Belfast and Atlanta play were not really that strong, and felt more confident in the Indianapolis. For the role I wanted to use her in, she's quite effective. That role mainly consisted of bringing radar to the fight in order to push DDs out of their capture point of choise, to force Belfasts out of their smoke screens, to provide effective anti-cruiser firepower, to add firepower to fights against DDs and BBs, and if needed to have halfway decent AA (even though I wasn't running Def Fire). I find that the USN 203mm gun with Demo Expert and the 2 flags for boosted fire chance is a pretty good HE spammer agaisnt BBs, having an 18% chance of fire. It does reasonable damage to DDs, but the low rate of fire keeps it from being truly effective, and is great against cruisers. I find the trick to the Indy was knowing where to put myself so that I could hit what I wanted to hit with Radar, not be insta-popped by BBs, or nailed with DD torps. I will say that I got pretty fed up in one match where a Sims killed me with HE like I was made of A6M Zero fighters (Everyone knows that the A6M Zero is the most flammable material on earth), but most of the time it was sheer bliss to see enemy DDs coming into my net, smoking up, then panicing out of my radar range. Results below.

Indianapolis%20Stats.png

Overall, I've only played 33 ranked battles this season. I tried Scharnhorst quite a few times, also Leningrad, Akatsuki, Mahan, and gave Nagato and Colorado a run for old time sake, but 21 of 33 were in those 3 ships and they are the ones I feel I was being most useful in. Here's to a successful Ranked season for me. Anything else is just gravy at this point, and I'll get a nice boost to starting off next season too. If anyone cares at all, overall results below (I like numbers).

overalls.png

Members
164 posts
2,487 battles

You underestimate yourself.

There are tomatoes all through R10-R6.

You could go much higher. At some expense of sanity.

But yes gratz on getting where you aimed for.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

exactly why I quit after 10.    it was pretty easy to 10 actually, but I wanted to keep my sanity  :D   

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

The reasons why I say I'll never rank out are three fold.

#1. I just don't have the patience to do that grind. I really don't like grinding in games (he says, coming from 5 years of Eve Online, ~4 or 5 of WoT, garnished with SWTOR and LOTRO, and now 2 years into WoWS). I think the other day I played 5 ranked matches in a single day and it was a lot for me. I usually play one or two per day. If I lose any of them I stop. If I win one or two, I might go for three or four total in the day.

#2. I work a lot of hours. Like 65-80 hour weeks. Every week. The last 2 weeks though, I've had a lot more off time than normal. I had scheduled a light week on one of them because the week before I worked like 80 hours, so my boss scheduled me a few less days to give me a break. Then, my normal load destination changed and it wasn't possible to do the round trip in one day anymore, so I went from working like 6:30am to 8pm on that day to working 6:30am to 1:30pm. Starting Sunday, I'm back onto my normal schedule of many hours. It really cuts into my game time.

#3. I really am not good enough to consistently carry in the low ranks. I could probably get down to 6 or 7. Maybe even sniff around a bit in 4 or 5, but it would be horrendously costly for me as I constantly swung back and forth on streaks of wins and losses. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, hated it, and decided to just know my limits and stop when I reach them.

Members
692 posts
21,509 battles

#3. I really am not good enough to consistently carry in the low ranks. I could probably get down to 6 or 7. Maybe even sniff around a bit in 4 or 5, but it would be horrendously costly for me as I constantly swung back and forth on streaks of wins and losses. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, hated it, and decided to just know my limits and stop when I reach them

Yea I'm at that point now. Rank 18 to 12 I had a almost 80% win rate, fell back to 67% from Rank 12 to 7 and now I keep swinging from 7 to 9 and my WR is down to 57%. I'm finding above Rank 10 you tend to run into people that are just good enough to get there and you find yourself having to carry, not the easiest thing to do in a DD. I was in a Rank 8 game the other night in which my team got deleted quickly and it was left to myself in Akatsuki and a Mahan to carry, oh and yes it was a 6 on 2 at this point. Mahan and I fought really hard (I wish I would have caught his name to thank him) but to no avail, we lost. By the end of the match we had them down to a wounded Sims and a half life Colorado. We had both earned High Caliber which brings up a better question, HOW DID 2 DD'S DO OVER 60% DAMAGE TO THE ENTIRE ENEMY TEAM??? You have to wonder what our other 5 ships were doing? 

Members
164 posts
2,487 battles

R10-R6 the MM is really bad also.

Lots of insta lose matches with 2 Belfasts and Fiji on one team and non Belfast or Fiji on the other team.

Its also getting very annoying watching people go to their favorite spot behind the island and camp it the whole match. 

People think camping wins, it doesnt really.

Members
692 posts
21,509 battles

R10-R6 the MM is really bad also.

Lots of insta lose matches with 2 Belfasts and Fiji on one team and non Belfast or Fiji on the other team.

Its also getting very annoying watching people go to their favorite spot behind the island and camp it the whole match. 

People think camping wins, it doesnt really.

The game I referred to I did what I set out to do - wreck the Belfast and Fiji as soon as possible. The mistake I made was ignoring the Gnies while going for the Fiji and took a hard hit. I did do a ton of damage afterward with only 900hp left. I use Akatsuki because I play well in that ship and with the current smoke meta make Akatsuki deadly, sure smoke up PLEASE I will find you easier. 

Sign in to follow this