You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Admiral8Q

Potatoes! Is there anything they can't do?

11 comments in this topic

Members
135 posts
5,069 battles

"The Japanese ran toward their deck gun. The Americans ran to their storage bins. No guns or grenades.

Only potatoes. Desperate, they reached in and threw as many as they could at the Japanese below, hoping to keep them away from their deck gun, knowing it was a useless gesture. They were wrong.

The Japanese panicked. The brave among them picked the potatoes up and threw them overboard. Others threw them back at the Americans who threw them back at the Japanese."

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/featured/destroyer-sub-sank-potatoes.html

• Cool 5

[PVE]
Members
12,079 posts
21,321 battles

Very powerful the Potato. Time to equip the Gearing with a potato gun.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[SALVO]
Members
17,273 posts
10,485 battles

Fun story. My T-22 has a potato gun too, it must be the reason of my nice WR in that boat.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

Early the following morning, they were returning to base at Nouméa, New Caledonia, when the O’Bannon’s radars picked up a large Japanese submarine.

I'm seeing a US premium DD by the name of O'Bannon with radar coming one day? 

[CUTE]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,048 posts
11,680 battles

VjGzJSN.jpg

o bannon was with her twin sister most of the time.

O'Bannon and her sister ship Nicholas (DD-449) were the first two Fletchers to be launched.

O'Bannon was the US Navy's most decorated destroyer during World War II, earning 17 battle stars and a Presidential Unit Citation.

On 30 January 1970, O'Bannon was decommissioned in a ceremony at Pearl Harbor (side-by-side with her sister Nicholas, as at their launching), and stricken from the Navy List. She was sold for scrap on 6 June 1970 and broken up two years later. At the time she was retired, only seven other Fletchers remained in service with the US Navy.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

<snip>

O'Bannon was the US Navy's most decorated destroyer during World War II, earning 17 battle stars and a Presidential Unit Citation.

On 30 January 1970, O'Bannon was decommissioned in a ceremony at Pearl Harbor (side-by-side with her sister Nicholas, as at their launching), and stricken from the Navy List. She was sold for scrap on 6 June 1970 and broken up two years later. At the time she was retired, only seven other Fletchers remained in service with the US Navy.

One would think the most decorated destroyer in WWII would have been worth keeping, turning into a museum piece... They ought to have approached the potato industry. 

[CUTE]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,048 posts
11,680 battles

Also her sister Nicholas is the most awarded ship of all time and the usn didn't save either.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts

Also her sister Nicholas is the most awarded ship of all time and the usn didn't save either.

Remember that it was the men that performed the deeds that received the awards, not the ship per se. We Army soldiers are a bit bemused by the accolades the Navy places on their vessels. Perhaps it's because they name them (i.e., "once you name it, it's a pet"). 

[SOUS]
[SOUS]
Members
301 posts

I'm seeing a US premium DD by the name of O'Bannon with radar coming one day? 

... or perhaps a "throw potatoes" cool-down that temporarily disables enemy ship's secondary armament. :) 

[RADAR]
Beta Testers
742 posts
7,187 battles

This would not be the last time an American ship - or at least, Americans on a ship - used potatoes offensively.

Famous author, diver, and shipwreck hunter Clive Cussler had an incident with the French navy that resulted in him and his crew barraging a French missile frigate with spuds over a dispute regarding Cussler doing a shipwreck search. He details the incident in his nonfiction book "The Sea Hunters". (I dont have the book on hand or Id detail it further. Look for it!)