Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Number9Pounder

PT Boat

12 comments in this topic

[N9PTS]
Members
547 posts

PT BOAT Armament 2 20 mm Oerlikon cannons

2 Rotating turrents with twin 50 caliber machineguns

2 Rocket pods on both sides

37 mm. auto cannon on the bow or a Bofors 40 mm

4 Torpedoes

Bofors 40 mm at the stern

The 5M-2500 introduced in late 1945 had a larger supercharger, aftercooler, and increased power output of 1850 hp.

It could push fully loaded boats at 45 to 50 knots (51-57 mph

Top speed when fully loaded is 45-50 knots (51-57 mph)

It's like trying to hit a mosquito with a sledgehammer

and depthcharge

PT Boat Gameplay primary armament is 40 mm. and 20 mm.

Antiaircraft guns is only 50 cal. Torpedoes are unlimited Reload time unknownis up to you guys

with your armament its best to aim at the upper works of destroyer and cruiser ships

primary targets are destroyers tier 4 cruisers or less and aircraft carriers if you can get close

Avoid all battleship types

PT Boat Tactics your best tactics are to take 3 or more and overwhelm the enemy

Torpedoes are useless against PT boats the reasons why is because the PT boats ride high along the water

which means they ride close to the surface the Torpedoes ride 6 ft. below the surface they take HP and HE shells for both the 20 mm

and the 40 mm I just have to find out the names of the rounds for each.

The PT Boat 20 mm cannon is equipped with AP and 2 types of HE shells HE incendinary and also 40 mm

and the 37 mm were equipped with AP and HE also i wasnt able to get the number for the rounds

Depth charges should be mounted on the PT Boats for looks for now

For those of you out there who think a PT Boat cant take a hit I have this photograph

As for the rocket pods they are mounted on the PT Boat im not sure the size of the rockets

PT593.gif

pt Boat.jpg

[RLGN]
Members
19,263 posts
35,706 battles
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
2,373 battles

Recommend looking into a certain competitor for that type of gameplay.

Only way I could see PT boats working here would be as AI-controlled harbor defenders; likely for some sort of amphibious assault/defense PvE mode.

[HINON]
Privateers
6,266 posts
3,405 battles

Play War Thunder if you want tiny boats. 

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,502 battles

Why would anyone play this when it would be hilariously underpowered? DDs fill this role in-game. 

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
3,004 posts
13,225 battles

xD674Es.jpg

When both axis and allied facepalm.

My position on PT Boats is the same as my position on Subs:

If it is not in a special event game mode or exclusively built for Co-Op, then I don't want it.

[RLGN]
Members
19,263 posts
35,706 battles

Why would anyone play this when it would be hilariously underpowered? DDs fill this role in-game. 

Depends on how you define 'underpowered.'

Easly destroyed? Possibly...

I'd imagine though you could re-salt the Salton Sea the Dead Sea with the salty tears that might come from PT boats. Potatoes will be potatoes, but think about the good players who would manipulate what would surely be a VERY tiny spotting range on such boats to torpedo ambush targets. How might it feel if a mob of such things in whatever form suddenly appeared at point-blank range (3k or less,) to let loose an unavoidable torp-wall? What about even a single boat, hidden next to or behind an island; suddenly appearing at 1k or so to let loose a meer 4 torpedoes?

No; even with the solution I posted last year (and above,) I think it's more that such things might be TOO powerful in the right circumstances.

Better in any case to just stick with WG's 'nothing smaller than destroyers,' less problems that way.

[CVA16]
Members
9,107 posts
27,884 battles

The would have pretty much no firepower beyond the torpedoes. The 4 torpedoes would be very short range.

They would be fast, maneuverable, stealthy and hard to hit. Great rudder shift and turn radius.

They would have very low hit points (1000?) so you wouldn't have to hit them more than a couple of times to sink them.

IRL they would be very vulnerable to the AA guns on enemy ships. A flak burst near by would shred it. WG would have to make AA damage apply to them.

Overall, better fit in the game than subs, but no real need for them.

[CTTDS]
Members
45 posts
24,469 battles

The Americans used the PT boat extensively early in the war,   they became less important as the Fast Carrier Fleets grew.

The Germans had their own version of the PT,  the E-Boat.  It was faster than British channel boats and were often used to rescue downed Luftwaffe Pilots.

Members
43 posts
27,579 battles

PT boats did play a role in the Battle of Surigao Strait, the last battleship vs battleship action in naval history.  E-boats were also responsible for the Slapton Sands disaster, devastating a D Day training operation that led to a considerable cover up by Eisenhower and staff due to the losses the E Boats inflected in landing craft (LSTs) and men.

Sign in to follow this