Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Panzer1113

IFHE for Russian Ships

10 comments in this topic

[RCNW3]
Members
2,004 posts
26,999 battles

Share a 18 point captain between Donskoi, Kutuzov, Leningrad and Molotov.  Have spec'ed with IFHE, but have not been happy with fire starting.  Have seen some strings discussing effectiveness of IFHE, but reluctant to make any changes since expensive to test. Running DE also.  Could use the 4 points else where.  What are people experiencing?

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

IFHE is of dubious use to Leningrad, since DD guns are usually most useful for their firestarting abilities and without the skill they still damage all DDs.  You're probably better off training a new captain for her, or at least not using that captain.

Kutuzov and Donskoi will benefit the most (along with Chapayev should you ever put that captain back on her) since they see a lot of enemies with armor that their guns can't penetrate without IFHE.  They also fire enough shells with each broadside that the damage you put out can easily be worth the lower fire chance if you aim right.  The requisite is that you need to know how to circumvent saturation mechanics.

Molotov will not see many enemies that can tank her HE with impunity: only T8+ BBs are immune to 180mm HE penetration on their extremities.  As such, I'd recommend also creating a dedicated captain for her as well, since the added fire chance is still worth it.

Edited by TenguBlade

Members
765 posts
2,849 battles

I have waffled back and forth in my Belfast between Between iFHE   and   Survival Expert + Expert Loader.    After several expensive switches... I believe the IFHE is worth it by a small margin.

To mirror Tengublade... I believe that IFHE is never worth getting on DDs, only on cruisers.

Edited by Zim_Xero

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
351 posts
10,692 battles

The question is: IFHE is an useful skill for russian CAs? or is better to stick only to DE? (damage wise)

IFHE+DE is a waste of skill points?

If you have to stick only to one, on russian CAs, is better DE or IFHE?

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

If you have to stick only to one, on russian CAs, is better DE or IFHE?

DE.  It costs fewer skill points and is useful on all members of the line: MoskvaMolotov, and everything below T5 doesn't get enough benefits to warrant taking IFHE.

Edited by TenguBlade

Members
765 posts
2,849 battles

I run both on ships in the 8% - 12% fire starting range.  For a Myoko or Atago, I would not.

The real factor is rate of fire though.  DE is worth adding to IFHE on ships with a high rate of fire.  It just so happens that the high fire % chance starters also fire slowly.

I found that IFHE improves Marbleheads damage by a lot.  The problem is that Marblehead desparately needs concealment... so you need a 19 point commander to really get the most out of that ship.  

Edited by Zim_Xero

[RCNW3]
Members
2,004 posts
26,999 battles

IFHE is of dubious use to Leningrad, since DD guns are usually most useful for their firestarting abilities and without the skill they still damage all DDs.  You're probably better off training a new captain for her, or at least not using that captain.

Kutuzov and Donskoi will benefit the most (along with Chapayev should you ever put that captain back on her) since they see a lot of enemies with armor that their guns can't penetrate without IFHE.  They also fire enough shells with each broadside that the damage you put out can easily be worth the lower fire chance if you aim right.  The requisite is that you need to know how to circumvent saturation mechanics.

Molotov will not see many enemies that can tank her HE with impunity: only T8+ BBs are immune to 180mm HE penetration on their extremities.  As such, I'd recommend also creating a dedicated captain for her as well, since the added fire chance is still worth it.

Very nice analysis.  Thank you

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,320 battles

I have waffled back and forth in my Belfast between Between iFHE   and   Survival Expert + Expert Loader.    After several expensive switches... I believe the IFHE is worth it by a small margin.

To mirror Tengublade... I believe that IFHE is never worth getting on DDs, only on cruisers.

Even though it's kinda useless on my Des Moines, it's highly useful on my Atlanta, so I put it on my Des Moines skipper.

Members
1,128 posts
7,268 battles

I'm not convinced it's as good as it's made out to be. Seems like a trade in play preference(raw damage vs fire starting) rather than a straight upgrade. Also German bbs aren't very affected by it.

Sign in to follow this