You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Citrusss

a little rant on ranked from me this time

16 comments in this topic

Members
1,150 posts
9,100 battles

Doing great in randoms but once switch to ranked i go brain dead. every other decision i make is a bad one... feeling like a food for those good players who are actually going to rank out. 

maybe it has something to do with tier 7 ships. was doing okay in tier 8 ranked seasons. 

[WOLF1]
Members
9,915 posts
18,507 battles

can be frustrating to say the least... I was on the opposite side of the issue before the weekend... WED thur and Fri. Went from rank 10 to 8 with no losses but struggled in randoms... the weekend??? well I am not even gonna TRY ranked till tomorrow... I got farther then I thought anyway, LOL

Members
1,150 posts
9,100 battles

Nerves maybe? I know I get a little shaky during my ranked games sometimes and don't always play right.

that's the thing, i just play as usual. looked up my WTR and randoms are okay, even purple sometimes :) while ranked is all orange and red LOL 

maybe it's because higher tiers can take a bit more and i got used to it as t7 gets eliminated quite fast if not played smart from the start

[HINON]
Members
7,656 posts
9,539 battles

Doing great in randoms but once switch to ranked i go brain dead. every other decision i make is a bad one... feeling like a food for those good players who are actually going to rank out. 

maybe it has something to do with tier 7 ships. was doing okay in tier 8 ranked seasons. 

I've been in a few ranked matches with you this season and each time you seemed to do just fine :) maybe take a few days off from ranked and work on the ships you're using in ranked until you get a little more comfortable and get your mojo back?

[RICO5]
Members
3,273 posts
7,504 battles

that's the thing, i just play as usual. 

That could be part of your problem.  Rank and Random play differently.   This rank season I have noticed that a lot of the random game mentality of sitting back and damage farming has taken hold.  DD's don't run and spot and if they do there are no cruisers there to back their play.  Teams don't stick together and end up spread out over the map.    Generally speaking rank games reward the team that can cap and hold a position.  That usually means getting there first and bringing in support fast.  From that position a unified push into the enemy cap, or systematic destruction of enemy ships, puts you in the win column.   In 7:7 play every team member matters and if you are running off alone, you are putting your team at a serious disadvantage if the other team is playing together.     Just a thought.

[HINON]
Members
7,656 posts
9,539 battles

That could be part of your problem.  Rank and Random play differently.   This rank season I have noticed that a lot of the random game mentality of sitting back and damage farming has taken hold.  DD's don't run and spot and if they do there are no cruisers there to back their play.  Teams don't stick together and end up spread out over the map.    Generally speaking rank games reward the team that can cap and hold a position.  That usually means getting there first and bringing in support fast.  From that position a unified push into the enemy cap, or systematic destruction of enemy ships, puts you in the win column.   In 7:7 play every team member matters and if you are running off alone, you are putting your team at a serious disadvantage if the other team is playing together.     Just a thought.

This. Not to mention I've seen a lot of players just get way to comfortable in ranked battles lately. DDs will advance up, both early game and mid game to try and spot and not paying attention to last known positions. Then they freak out because they stray just a little too close and enemy Belfasts and Atlantas light them up with radar and poof, said DDs are gone in an instant because the entire enemy team focused them. I've also seen my fair share of Belfasts and Fijis pop their smoke in the middle of the water with no other cover and just sit still in their smoke while continuing to fire, then start freaking it and cussing out the team because a wave of torps come lazily swimming into their smoke and erase them or a BB will wipe them out by firing into their smoke. I've seen too many players get either overconfident or too comfortable then slip up. And it ranked the slightest mistake could cost the match. Seen quite a few games where we've been up by 2-3 ships and the team gets overconfident and decides to push right into the red team and get slaughtered one by one to lose the match instead of just sitting back and holding the lead. A lot of players just lose patience really quickly and don't want to stay back when they should be to secure the win and in return end up losing.

[-K-]
Supertest Coordinator, Alpha Tester, WoWS Community Contributors, Wiki Editor
6,567 posts
28,823 battles

If you want, you're welcome to send me some replays and I'd be happy to give you some feedback.  In general, a couple of things worth mentioning from the games we had together.  I'm going to be blatantly honest, and I hope you don't take offense:

1.  You are not very accurate with Sims guns.  When I engaged in a gunfight with you, I knew I could beat you after the first two volleys.  Sims shines at CLOSE range - if you plan to engage an enemy DD, do so at your concealment threshold (6.6km right?).  If the fight doesn't go well, feel free to disengage and re-conceal/run away.

2.  You get a little too aggressive given #1.  If you want to win with Sims, then be the sheep dog - smoke your BBs, give them suggestions based on the minimap, and let your team do the killing.  Torp randomly into choke points/smoke - a lucky hit or two can make a big difference.

[-K-]
Supertest Coordinator, Alpha Tester, WoWS Community Contributors, Wiki Editor
6,567 posts
28,823 battles

can be frustrating to say the least... I was on the opposite side of the issue before the weekend... WED thur and Fri. Went from rank 10 to 8 with no losses but struggled in randoms... the weekend??? well I am not even gonna TRY ranked till tomorrow... I got farther then I thought anyway, LOL

Believe it or not, I ranked up during the weekends.  Potatoes perhaps?

First weekend - Rank 10

Spent the entire week bouncing around Rank 10/9

Second weekend - Rank 5

Spent the entire week bouncing between Rank 5/6, hit Rank 4 on Thursday.

Third weekend - Rank 1

Maybe I was just insanely lucky!

Beta Testers
1,971 posts
13,729 battles

The current ranked meta is not about pushing, spotting, or taking risks unless the points demand it. Instead, because of the smoke meta, players go find a rock and camp it inside dd smoke. Both sides have to get at least one cap. But once they do, they just sit there and let the trenches form. Then, the waiting game begins where people wait for some newb to try to break out of the trench and storm across the open ground. They basically out wait the enemy in their entrenched position until the enemy makes a positional mistake that can be seized upon. If no one side gains a real advantage then eventually someone decided to yolo rush. But most often one team eventually gains a numbers advantage simply by waiting long enough for the enemy to make enough positional mistakes that get punished. Then, the numerically superior team pushes into the weaker team to secure the win with points from more kills or gaining both caps.

Ranked in this meta is a rush to gain a cap, then a super long boring waiting game while pot shooting, then yolo overwhelm the remainders.

This is why I have yet to even attempt to play ranked. Instead, I spent the last 4 days watching Flamu rank out at EU and now get rank 5 in NA. On both servers it is exactly the same boring smoke meta bullcrap waiting game. 

Members
1,150 posts
9,100 battles

First weekend - Rank 10

Second weekend - Rank 5

Third weekend - Rank 1

you are a cheater. and annoying AF in that kiev. 

Members
1,703 posts
9,002 battles

Try the Blys maybe?

Not sure if you own that ship or not, but its guns are highly effective.

[ONE38]
Members
3,782 posts
14,818 battles

First weekend - Rank 10

Second weekend - Rank 5

Third weekend - Rank 1

I've done comparatively fine on the weekends, too.  I made it to 11 last weekend but I've not found the motivation to continue.  IMO, the Belfast smoke and radar meta in ranked battle is boring. The straight up simplicity of just playing the Cleveland in random is a nice alternative. 
Edited by lemekillmister

Members
1,150 posts
9,100 battles

i made it to r5 in the first two days in something like 30 games. it's not that I don't understand how to play it right. main issue is i just stop thinking straight lol 

Members
1,150 posts
9,100 battles

If you want, you're welcome to send me some replays and I'd be happy to give you some feedback.  In general, a couple of things worth mentioning from the games we had together.  I'm going to be blatantly honest, and I hope you don't take offense:

1.  You are not very accurate with Sims guns.  When I engaged in a gunfight with you, I knew I could beat you after the first two volleys.  Sims shines at CLOSE range - if you plan to engage an enemy DD, do so at your concealment threshold (6.6km right?).  If the fight doesn't go well, feel free to disengage and re-conceal/run away.

2.  You get a little too aggressive given #1.  If you want to win with Sims, then be the sheep dog - smoke your BBs, give them suggestions based on the minimap, and let your team do the killing.  Torp randomly into choke points/smoke - a lucky hit or two can make a big difference.

i know #1 :D i was trying to shoo you off hoping to dodge return fire. doesnt work with a good shooter and kiev guns as well.