yeastconfection

Tier 5 isn't any fun

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

115 posts in this topic

The match maker has me frustrated. I'm farming XP to level up on my tier V Konig and tier V Omaha but I keep getting placed into games with Tier 6 and Tier 7 enemies. I'll stay "with the pack" and the opponents will still target me first before they target my tier 6/7 comrades because im an easy kill. I hardly ever survive a round and I can barely earn any XP to move up. I used to have fun playing through tier I through IV, but being paired against VI and VII makes this game frustrating and difficult. Why does match maker do this?

Edited by yeastconfection

In order to protect the ships at lower Tiers. Before the change T3 ships could face T5 ships. I guess that was also no fun but I still think it was better that way.

The match maker has me frustrated. I'm farming XP to level up on my tier V Konig and tier V Omaha but I keep getting placed into games with Tier 6 and Tier 7 enemies. I hardly ever survive now.; I'll stay "with the pack" and the opponents will still target me first before they target my tier 6/7 comrades. I hardly ever survive a round and I can barely earn any XP to move up. Why does match maker do this?

WG's answer to the Tier 5-6 "comfort zone". Punish tier 5 and 6 with poor matchmaking so that you will move up as quickly as possible.

More opportunities for money extraction from players at higher tiers....:trollface:

Edited by awiggin

Konig can still do good against Tier 7s if you use her correctly, same with Omaha, which is only twice as difficult.

Not much that can be done except try to improve your own play and hope the T7s on your team aren't stupid.  Konig in particular is a really strong BB: she's really accurate, has thick armor, and a relatively fast reload.  Don't be afraid to switch to HE if your target is bouncing your AP.

While I tend to agree that tier 5 isn't much fun, the Konig, to me at least, was one tier 5 that I was able to do fairly well with in those ugly tier 7 battles.  The Konig is tough and if you angle your armor, you can still bounce lots of shots.  And if you can, try to focus on the enemy cruisers, and don't be afraid to HE spam higher tier enemy BB's, particularly at long ranges, if you can't get penning hits.

I kinda wonder what things would be like if the devs pushed up the minimum tier for +2/-1 from 5 to 6.  Tier 6's feel generally more capable relative to tier 8's than 5's vs tier 7's, at least to me.

The Konig is tough and if you angle your armor, you can still bounce lots of shots.  And if you can, try to focus on the enemy cruisers, and don't be afraid to HE spam higher tier enemy BB's, particularly at long ranges, if you can't get penning hits.

Thats all well and good until I have to break my angle due to torpedos, same goes for my Omaha...

The Konig is tough and if you angle your armor, you can still bounce lots of shots.  And if you can, try to focus on the enemy cruisers, and don't be afraid to HE spam higher tier enemy BB's, particularly at long ranges, if you can't get penning hits.

Thats all well and good until I have to break my angle due to torpedos, same goes for my Omaha...

That's the same at any tier, whether you're top or bottom tier.  Not an issue, since it's a common thing for BB's of all tiers.

Keep on grinding past tier 6, there is really nothing else you can do.

That's the same at any tier, whether you're top or bottom tier.  Not an issue, since it's a common thing for BB's of all tiers.

Okay, lets go back to my original point: I'm in a tier V BB and I'm told to angle myself so how exactly does this help me when I'm up against tier VI and tier VII? Edited by yeastconfection

If you play at High Peak hours, in excess of 13,000 players, there will be less 7s in your MM. 

I've gone 12 battles straight before with nothing but T5s and 6s in high player count hours... Usually 8pm to 11pm US Eastern Time.

Not sure if you can swing this, based on where you are, but that is what I have seen, and I was severely disappointed by that MM change. Konigsberg was my go to until then.

Time of day plays a huge role in the tiers you will see. After banging my head for a while, I generally know which ships to play at what times based on past experiences. Mornings seem better for me, but as was pointed out, late evening is also better for mid tiering.

B

If you think MM is bad at tier 5, then you are setting yourself up for a huge disappointment later on.  It is even worse at tier 7 or 8 when you are mostly put in game up tiered.  It really sucks playing tier ten ships with tier eight, and the play style is completely different at that level.  I still haven't been able to figure out that play style at that level, and it is frustrating.

If you're a Konig or Omaha in a tier 7 battle, stay back for a while.  Let the high tiers start slugging it out before you push up, you want them to already be occupied before you try to do anything.  Many players get tunnel-visioned on the opponent they're fighting, and that will often be the first ship they see that's within range of their guns/torpedoes.  For the Konig I would suggest trying to advance on enemy BBs from an angle where it's too inconvenient for them to turn their guns or ship around to engage you, since it would mean disengaging from the more deadly BBs on your team or revealing their sides' weakness.  Remember, you don't need to angle if nobody is even shooting at you!  Alternatively, you could also back up your destroyers if they're capping and you see enemy cruisers moving in to stop them.  Your 305mm guns will hurt cruisers a lot regardless if they're tier 5 or tier 7.

For Omaha, the main problem you have to contend with here is her poor gun range compared to more of your opponents.  I would suggest adopting a DD-hunter role, and cover the flanks of your ally BBs so you can spot any incoming long-range torpedo attacks or DDs trying to sneak around.  Don't hesitate to take a longer path around the map if it keeps you from becoming the center of attention for enemy guns.

As people say " any ship can be competitive if driven right", don't mind getting up tiered, as long as it is not multiple games in a row.  This can happen in consecutive games playing the same ship, jumping to other classes in the same tier, or coming back to a ship after playing something else the same evening.  I am on west coast and hitting peak time is difficult.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Okay, lets go back to my original point: I'm in a tier V BB and I'm told to angle myself so how exactly does this help me when I'm up against tier VI and tier VII?

It doesn't help, it like the "prepare for water landing/crash" positions they have passengers assume, as the jetliner slams into the ocean at 600mph. Its just something to do before the impending doom. When tier 8 BBs are luring on the seas I've sailed my beloved Texas into. I will linger in the rear, looking for an soft spot in the enemy line and waiting for the tier 8 ships to slap each other silly, before moving up to engage. It may not sound like an overly honorable, "Damn the torpedo full steam ahead!" type of tactic.  But it is a valid tactic, employed by navies though the ages to allow older ships "in this case tier 5 ships" to contribute a maxim effort without becoming early battle cannon fodder. Edited by HMS_Lollipop

What you can also do is division with a T4 with your T5.  That will anchor you back a bit.

What you can also do is division with a T4 with your T5.  That will anchor you back a bit.

No, please don't do this.  The matchmaker only cares about the highest tier in your division; instead you will be dragging your tier 4 buddy up into tier 6 and 7 games.  Had a match yesterday where a Bogue divisioned with a Myogi and Phoenix, and it was a tier 7 game.  Those poor guys got wrecked by our team.

It doesn't help, it like the "prepare for water landing/crash" positions they have passengers assume, as the jetliner slams into the ocean at 600mph. Its just something to do before the impending doom. When tier 8 BBs are luring on the seas I've sailed my beloved Texas into. I will linger in the rear, looking for an soft spot in the enemy line and waiting for the tier 8 ships to slap each other silly, before moving up to engage. It may not sound like an overly honorable, "Damn the torpedo full steam ahead!" type of tactic.  But it is a valid tactic, employed by navies though the ages to allow thier fleets older ships "in this case tier 5 ships" to contribute a maxim effort without becoming early battle cannon fodder.

Angling is the difference between taking a glancing hit for 1000 damage or taking a 10000 damage citadel hit.  It's not a "do this and you will survive forever" tactic, but rather one to mitigate damage as much as possible.  In a previous match, I could not penetrate a New Orleans who was angled only 10 degrees perpendicular to my Scharnhorst, because his 32mm of bow armor was deflecting most of my shells.  I actually had to switch to HE to put some hurt on him before I could reposition for a better avenue of attack.

Edited by Seraphil

Can't argue with you here, tier 5 is not as much fun as before. Same with tier 6 - 8 now.

Then you get the fail divisions where a T5 teams up with a T4 or even a T3.

So is it T7 where it finally evens out where you can go 2-up and 2-down?

T5 is bad. Always pitting my ARP Kongo vs Scharnhorsts makes it hard to tell if I am really a bad BB player or just outclassed most of the time (so only sort of bad).

Edited by Sabot_100

The match maker has me frustrated. I'm farming XP to level up on my tier V Konig and tier V Omaha but I keep getting placed into games with Tier 6 and Tier 7 enemies. I'll stay "with the pack" and the opponents will still target me first before they target my tier 6/7 comrades because im an easy kill. I hardly ever survive a round and I can barely earn any XP to move up. I used to have fun playing through tier I through IV, but being paired against VI and VII makes this game frustrating and difficult. Why does match maker do this?

​I use a tier 7 For Farming Exp. The payouts are good and the repair bills are nominal, 100k avg payout with 2300 to 2500 exp. Lose the tier 5 and move on.

Okay, lets go back to my original point: I'm in a tier V BB and I'm told to angle myself so how exactly does this help me when I'm up against tier VI and tier VII?

A Konig with angled armor can bounce plenty of higher tier BB shells.  Not all, but some.    I think that the best thing that a Konig can do in a tier 6 or 7 battle is to try to engage enemy cruisers where your smaller 12" guns will still kick plenty of cruiser butt.  But don't dismiss the ability of a Konig to brawl with even higher tier BBs (at least non-German ones).  Would a Nagato beat a Konig?  Probably, but you can sell yourself as dearly  as possible and make the enemy BB work hard to take you down.

Angling is the difference between taking a glancing hit for 1000 damage or taking a 10000 damage citadel hit.  It's not a "do this and you will survive forever" tactic, but rather one to mitigate damage as much as possible.  In a previous match, I could not penetrate a New Orleans who was angled only 10 degrees perpendicular to my Scharnhorst, because his 32mm of bow armor was deflecting most of my shells.  I actually had to switch to HE to put some hurt on him before I could reposition for a better avenue of attack.

Yes, so very true and if only one of them is shooting at ya. The trouble is, tier 5 fresh meat brings the tier 7 BBs and CL wolfs out in packs, and its usually 3 or even 4 of the bums sending shells your way and you can only angle against one/two of them.  I'l still will be lingering in the rear, till some of the smoke settles.   Cheers~

Edited by HMS_Lollipop