You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RogueFlameHaze

Dunkerque Tanking a Team

26 comments in this topic

[CUTER]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,843 posts
7,636 battles

Figured I would share this neat little replay that Rolkatsuki sent to me... Dunkerque isn't known for being the most armored battleship at its tier, and especially not known the best brawler. But when the whole enemy team comes around the corner at 6km, Rolkatsuki doesn't panic, hunkers down, and puts the rapid firing guns of the tier 6 french battleship to work. Enjoy!

• Cool 2

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,571 posts
3,672 battles

I've done similar with my Dunk; hold down or contest a cap 4-5 vs 1.  She's pretty durable with bow-on/sharply angled play.  Of course, it also involves alternating between forward and reverse.

While I wasn't good enough to survive through it, I did survive long enough for the rest of the team to either secure the other caps and return, or rally back and take them out.  Even a player on the enemy team was pissed his teammates couldn't sink one ship and advance and berated them on "All" chat about it.

Granted, Yamato and Izumo are also especially capable of face-tanking hard, along with NC and Iowa.  Same with Arizona.  Amagi to a lesser extent (she actually does better when being chased rather than when advancing).  Richelieu and Jean Bart probably will be able to as well, once they arrive with the French BB line (hopefully one of them as a Premium; I'd pick Jean Bart).

[CUTER]
8,843 posts
7,636 battles

Nice game! I keep telling myself I don't need another BB....

Dunkerque is a great pick up... not to convince you to get another or anything ;)

I've done similar with my Dunk; hold down or contest a cap 4-5 vs 1.  She's pretty durable with bow-on/sharply angled play.  Of course, it also involves alternating between forward and reverse.

While I wasn't good enough to survive through it, I did survive long enough for the rest of the team to either secure the other caps and return, or rally back and take them out.  Even a player on the enemy team was pissed his teammates couldn't sink one ship and advance and berated them on "All" chat about it.

Granted, Yamato and Izumo are also especially capable of face-tanking hard, along with NC and Iowa.  Same with Arizona.  Amagi to a lesser extent (she actually does better when being chased rather than when advancing).  Richelieu and Jean Bart probably will be able to as well, once they arrive with the French BB line (hopefully one of them as a Premium; I'd pick Jean Bart).

As long as it doesnt get caught in its side... I guess its like a mini Iowa in the tanking aspect XD

The Dunker is a great troll ship. Just get within range and hit reverse. Just be sure to keep your bow pointed to the enemy.

Especially since both its HE and AP are incredibly useful

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
3,172 posts
7,427 battles

Dunkerque is one of those ships where I actually enjoyed slinging HE. Starting a fire on nearly every salvo while bow tanking is just hilarious.

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
26,259 posts
11,563 battles

Thanks Nyachi for uploading my replay~ hehe! /^.\\ b

[CUTER]
8,843 posts
7,636 battles

Dunkerque is one of those ships where I actually enjoyed slinging HE. Starting a fire on nearly every salvo while bow tanking is just hilarious.

its funny if they get mad about it

That never would have worked if they fire spammed you.

good thing they didnt!

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,699 battles

Thanks Nyachi for uploading my replay~ hehe! /^.\\ b

Well done kako!
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
285 posts
6,031 battles

i have had great games in my Dunk, i do run a Secondary build. I think people underestimate how good the Dunks secondary can be. I also think most DDs underestimate how good the Dunk can be at dispatching DDs. Over all shes one of my favoret  ships

Members
505 posts
9,342 battles

i have had great games in my Dunk, i do run a Secondary build. I think people underestimate how good the Dunks secondary can be. I also think most DDs underestimate how good the Dunk can be at dispatching DDs. Over all shes one of my favoret  ships

The secondaries are good but you'd have to have your aft facing a for them to be useful and with a Dunker you always want it's bow facing the enemy. Getting hit in the broadsides is brutal punishment.

Beta Testers
285 posts
6,031 battles

The secondaries are good but you'd have to have your aft facing a for them to be useful and with a Dunker you always want it's bow facing the enemy. Getting hit in the broadsides is brutal punishment.

I agree but sometime u just have to turn and fall back or some DD or CA thinks that by coming at you from the stern they will have you at a Disadvantage. i have had DDs and CAs turn and run after spending some time inside my 7.3K secondary range.

[CUTER]
8,843 posts
7,636 battles

I agree but sometime u just have to turn and fall back or some DD or CA thinks that by coming at you from the stern they will have you at a Disadvantage. i have had DDs and CAs turn and run after spending some time inside my 7.3K secondary range.

The good turret angles help with kiting like this too, they can spin surprisingly far to the rear

Beta Testers
285 posts
6,031 battles

The good turret angles help with kiting like this too, they can spin surprisingly far to the rear

Totally! She is great at Kiting.

[REVY]
Members
6,107 posts
5,104 battles

That never would have worked if they fire spammed you.

Too many post-noobs think slinging only AP shells is the way to go.

Untrue, she can show her broadside in many different situations.  Going bow-on against destroyers is unnecessary, and maybe even dangerous.

Edited by Sventex

[WAG]
Members
1,481 posts
8,233 battles

Once upon a time, I achieved a Kraken and a Hat-Trick in my Dunk.... (Hat-Trick being the sinking of three different classes of ship, not an official award, but should be.)

[REVY]
Members
6,107 posts
5,104 battles

Once upon a time, I achieved a Kraken and a Hat-Trick in my Dunk.... (Hat-Trick being the sinking of three different classes of ship, not an official award, but should be.)

Lol, I guess I managed a hat-trick in the space of a minute during the first battle I was in with reply enabled.

[BROOK]
2,248 posts

I find that BB final stands come down to how quickly the enemy just switches to HE. But the Dunkerque has incredible stern chasers for her tier.

[SFROG]
Members
268 posts
4,690 battles

Having all 8 gun barrels on the bow and a quick rotation, plus the good HE shells, makes the Dunk a solid dd killer. Sunk a few in my days with Dunk.

Beta Testers
415 posts
3,404 battles

Nice game! I keep telling myself I don't need another BB....

Fought the temptation last 2 times, hoping its not getting sold again soon...

[BBICT]
Members
3,568 posts
3,720 battles

Fought the temptation last 2 times, hoping its not getting sold again soon...

LOL... I'm in the same boat, pun intended. I keep saying I'm gonna grind the USN BB line...but what is the fun in that? Hammering DDs with rapid firing mains from a dead sexy battle crusier? Now that sound like fun... I hadn't though about a secondary build on one...that would be be interesting... am I talking me into this? :hiding:

[CUTER]
8,843 posts
7,636 battles

LOL... I'm in the same boat, pun intended. I keep saying I'm gonna grind the USN BB line...but what is the fun in that? Hammering DDs with rapid firing mains from a dead sexy battle crusier? Now that sound like fun... I hadn't though about a secondary build on one...that would be be interesting... am I talking me into this? :hiding:

no.... of course you arent xD