Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pete_Darling

When to stop playing Ranked

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

58 posts in this topic

I figure I am 2 or 3 games from rank 12.  That is as far as I think my skill level will get me; I do NOT see myself getting any lower unless I get very lucky AND my teammates all develop bulging discs in their backs from carrying my sorry @$$.

Just sayin'

~B

So someone has to lose.... Can you keep a 45% win rate? If so keep on it. I stopped at 13 last season but I could have pulled higher. Did I learn something? Sure, I learn something every game. I started this post to make people think of why they play Ranked. Are my scores GREAT, nope but that is my play style, cap, spot then kill. Am I a team player ABSOLUTELY and that is why I have a win rate that is good, I don't expect to make Rank 1 but I will go as far as I can before I feel useless. Everyone looks at Damage and Kill Ratio but there is way more to this game than that. I have games with a 2.4M potential damage that I did crap in otherwise that doesn't show up in Stats. Every shot they fired at me that didn't kill me was a shot that hit nothing so yea that helps oh and now they are spotted. Stat shaming is bad, stat shaming yourself is worse. You have to look at did you contribute and could you do anything different to contribute more? 

btw, if you don't learn it from ranked, you will surely see it in random, which is where all the ranked players bring their newly learned skills and tricks.

btw, if you don't learn it from ranked, you will surely see it in random, which is where all the ranked players bring their newly learned skills and tricks.

+1 on the learning experience, in several ways. 

If you learn one thing from Ranked it should be PLFO (play the objectives).  Last season also taught me how to blind torp into smoke. I got darned good at it. 

Then there's the benefit of playing one ship over and over until you know it's strengths, weaknesses, handling, guns, everything. My friend who introduced me to WoWs never plays the same ship more than 2 or 3 times in a row, and he jumps from DD to CL to BB while bouncing around Tiers. He has fun but you won't get good that way. But with over 100 battles in Shiratsuyu I'm really learning how to play that ship. 

ANSWER TO OP:  when grinding the Izumo toward Yamato feels better than playing Ranked anymore. 

+1 on the learning experience, in several ways. 

If you learn one thing from Ranked it should be PLFO (play the objectives).  Last season also taught me how to blind torp into smoke. I got darned good at it. 

Then there's the benefit of playing one ship over and over until you know it's strengths, weaknesses, handling, guns, everything. My friend who introduced me to WoWs never plays the same ship more than 2 or 3 times in a row, and he jumps from DD to CL to BB while bouncing around Tiers. He has fun but you won't get good that way. But with over 100 battles in Shiratsuyu I'm really learning how to play that ship. 

ANSWER TO OP:  when grinding the Izumo toward Yamato feels better than playing Ranked anymore. 

LOL You have to watch Jingles Izumo 200K video

I agree with you on playing one ship - I limited myself to IJN DD's only in Random battles and my numbers started to climb but I still play an occasional cruiser.

Pulled Unicum day rating in Ranked again last night and Rank is still climbing so still pushing it, who knows I might make Rank 1 :D

Posted the funnest game I've had in Ranked on WOWReplays - 4 kill, 3 DD's and a BB (finished 2nd on the team) - It was just crazy Blyskawica and I finished off 3 ships in about a minute and chased down their Sims for the win.  

Edited by Pete_Darling

Ranked%20Day%202-21-2017_zpsrawm78kk.jpg

I'm only tossing this out there because I added my WTR rating to my signature and I wanted those who think they don't have good stats to realize that Ranked is a different critter. My Random stats suck, I play tier 2 to 10 and you name it but you will be surprised what you can do in Ranked, clean slate, one tier, jump in your best tier 7 and have fun. You can learn so much (sometime jerks get pissed at you in Random because they don't understand why you are doing what you are) it will make you a better overall team player and understand how to win. 

You know I don't consider myself a bad player but I question how far I should push Ranked Battles? I don't want to be the guy that just sucked and lost it for the team but sometimes I feel out matched. I'm not doing bad yet and just curious if you guys have found a point when you say "yep done for this season"? 

Absolutely. My first season was 4, I stopped around rank 10, as it was getting difficult to win consistently. Last season I stopped at rank 5, for the same reason. This season I ranked out without much trouble.

I am definitely an advocate for avoiding the "grind" of rank 1. I stopped each season when it was clear that I wasn't pulling my weight and i focused on getting better between seasons. I think if more players had this approach ranked would be a better experience for everyone.

Absolutely. My first season was 4, I stopped around rank 10, as it was getting difficult to win consistently. Last season I stopped at rank 5, for the same reason. This season I ranked out without much trouble.

I am definitely an advocate for avoiding the "grind" of rank 1. I stopped each season when it was clear that I wasn't pulling my weight and i focused on getting better between seasons. I think if more players had this approach ranked would be a better experience for everyone.

Like others have said I do like Ranked for the more 1 one 1 battle (unless you are me, I'm stuck with 4 on 1) and the team play for training and I suggest everyone try it. I've played season 2 to 6 and most the time I stop because WG has some other thing going on like ARP ships (not sure why I stopped for them I never play them). This season is PT testing which I normally do but I don't care about music, can't play the new VMF DD's so I get to see two new maps? Ranked it is!

the problem of the rankeds is 

forever win and loss loopings and you never advance.

Well, you get to a point where you more or less plateau and stagnate.  I'm yo-yo-ing between 12 and 10.  A lot like the Peter Principle; I seem to have risen to my level of incompetence, and stayed there.  As soon as I make 10, MM throws me up against 5's, so I immediately drop back to 11.  Bummer.  But 24 days to keep trying!  Still wondering what the big draw is supposed to be with the Rank 9 thru 2 'special upgrades.'  They look like what I already have.  What am I missing?  Anybody?

Well, you get to a point where you more or less plateau and stagnate.  I'm yo-yo-ing between 12 and 10.  A lot like the Peter Principle; I seem to have risen to my level of incompetence, and stayed there.  As soon as I make 10, MM throws me up against 5's, so I immediately drop back to 11.  Bummer.  But 24 days to keep trying!  Still wondering what the big draw is supposed to be with the Rank 9 thru 2 'special upgrades.'  They look like what I already have.  What am I missing?  Anybody?

This is what I have found with my own play, it may not apply to you, if I find myself struggling at a Rank it's usually a change in strategy. In Ranks 23 to 15 many times you run into less experienced players and/or wallet warriors that don't really understand the ship they are playing. So you have 2 things to look at is it your skill or your strategy causing the losses? Once you get above Rank 15 the Random play starts to fade away and people develop more of a Team Effort mentality so the strategy starts changing so you have to start adapting. If your losses are based on your overall skill then don't give up, the better players will Rank out and you will start getting closer to the Average experience of the Ranked Players then start progressing again. As to the Upgrade Modules, they are enhancements of your consumables and are won for achieving a Rank. Personally I don't use them as they take the spot of things I feel are more important.    

I liked the engine boost time upgrade for my Shira I got at rank 9.  Haven't cared for the others.

High%20Caliber%20Loss1_zpsph2dc8qr.jpg

Another "What the heck happened?" Game. 2 DD's with High Caliber and still a loss 

From my perspective, the most precious commodity in Ranked are players who are willing to work together, act as a team and support each other in the game.  You can be extremely skilled, have the absolute best ship available and if you don't have this quality, you are an active detriment to your team in in the ranked format. 

As long as you can bring that quality to the teams you are on, I think you have value. 

From my perspective, the most precious commodity in Ranked are players who are willing to work together, act as a team and support each other in the game.  You can be extremely skilled, have the absolute best ship available and if you don't have this quality, you are an active detriment to your team in in the ranked format. 

As long as you can bring that quality to the teams you are on, I think you have value. 

You are so correct - in that game there was too many people doing their "own thing" while Mahan and I tried to hold what we had to win. It's just frustrating to see Random play in Ranked. 

I'm going to use the old "as long as you're having fun". Personally, I've hit my wall and I'm having trouble progressing further and it's become more of a hassle than it's worth. If you're not at that point, keep pushing. I know I've learned a lot (ex. I should never drive a DD :) )

I'm going to use the old "as long as you're having fun". Personally, I've hit my wall and I'm having trouble progressing further and it's become more of a hassle than it's worth. If you're not at that point, keep pushing. I know I've learned a lot (ex. I should never drive a DD :) )

Use one ship, the best you play in and you will learn even more and usually progress. Many guys including myself practice in the ship they will use well before Ranked starts. I think I played 100+ games in my Akatsuki before Ranked started and I have Tier 10 DD's. I wanted Rank 1 this time around and I still feel like I may not make it but heck I'm not giving up yet. 

I figure I am 2 or 3 games from rank 12.  That is as far as I think my skill level will get me; I do NOT see myself getting any lower unless I get very lucky AND my teammates all develop bulging discs in their backs from carrying my sorry @$$.

Just sayin'

~B

So someone has to lose.... Can you keep a 45% win rate? If so keep on it. I stopped at 13 last season but I could have pulled higher. Did I learn something? Sure, I learn something every game. I started this post to make people think of why they play Ranked. Are my scores GREAT, nope but that is my play style, cap, spot then kill. Am I a team player ABSOLUTELY and that is why I have a win rate that is good, I don't expect to make Rank 1 but I will go as far as I can before I feel useless. Everyone looks at Damage and Kill Ratio but there is way more to this game than that. I have games with a 2.4M potential damage that I did crap in otherwise that doesn't show up in Stats. Every shot they fired at me that didn't kill me was a shot that hit nothing so yea that helps oh and now they are spotted. Stat shaming is bad, stat shaming yourself is worse. You have to look at did you contribute and could you do anything different to contribute more? 

That's actually a point of pride with me... I seem to do better in ranked than random battles.  I am actually at Rank 10!  I know right?

And, of the 2 Kraken's I've gotten (both with my Scharnhorst), 1 of them was in ranked!

I will make the best effort possible in ranked...

Thank you for your guidance!

~B

The MM is what made me quit.   If I play one more ranked with 3 radar CA's on one team and none on the other I'll smash my monitor.   That's pretty much when I became forced to conclude that WG didn't really give enough of a #$%^ about balance to lift a finger.

Didn't much care for the multiple matches with 5 DD's on each team either.

That's actually a point of pride with me... I seem to do better in ranked than random battles.  I am actually at Rank 10!  I know right?

And, of the 2 Kraken's I've gotten (both with my Scharnhorst), 1 of them was in ranked!

I will make the best effort possible in ranked...

Thank you for your guidance!

~B

Glad to see you are progressing!

I haven't had a lot of time to play but I've almost made rank 5. The nice thing about playing as far as you can is being rewarded for your effort and start season 7 farther ahead. 

When you start going backwards.

Then play some more the next day.

Slowly grind down the Ranks.

All these posts about skill & teamwork, ROFL, it's the same as in Randoms at tier 7.

Win, lose, lose, win. Rinse & repeat.

The Flag I earned is nice tho I doubt I will ever get the reward ship(s).

I made my rank 10, the goal.  Pulled my weight more or less in a Myoko, was not a liability anyways.   

RNG goes both ways.   I had in first season (4th) some really terrible teams, quite a string....  memorable.   I was not very good either but still these were just bad teams, even a spud like myself could tell.  Last season barely played.  This season however I had excellent RNG.  Good teams, played together, stuck to a plan more or less.  A pleasure.   My winrate was definitely higher than deserved, hey thats OK.  It all goes round, my 4th season WR was lower than deserved.  

I've kept it slow as I got lower in the ranks.  Last season I stopped at rank 12.  This season I'm at 7, playing 1 or 2 games a night.  Would like to get to 5 this season, but won't sweat it either way.  Rewards suck this season.

Edited by Spooooooooooooooooooooon

I've kept it slow as I got lower in the ranks.  Last season I stopped at rank 12.  This season I'm at 7, playing 1 or 2 games a night.  Would like to get to 5 this season, but won't sweat it either way.  Rewards suck this season.

Yea I'm the same way, 12 last season and only play a couple games a night. I was 1 star away from 5 then fell back to 7. I finally worked back to 6 and don't want to risk the race to 5 with only a few days left. I wanted to hit 1 but it took 139 games to almost hit 5 and I will bet I would have 150 to 175 more games to hit 1 so I think I'm done this season. And I'm not fond of the rewards from Rank 5 up anyway. I figured I'd just go play the new Russian DD (Yep suck in them) and goof off now. Edited by Pete_Darling

Ranked is really great to learn certain ships but it's not regular random play. Map size and tier matchups. Plus the type of ships and situations will change. It's good to hone certain skills... I cannot get above rank 7 

Do not agree with that. As much as I feel I struggle I stop when I can't go forward. I went from rank 18 to 12 with a 88% win rate in an afternoon on a weekend. I made it back to a 60% win rate and had a day rate of 75% and I was low ranked, still rank 10. My point is at what point do you stop playing ranked to not be a burden to our team? 

Offhand, and not trying to be mean, I'd say you are VERY lucky to have advanced as far as you have. 21,000 avg damage is pretty sad, as well as a 0.85 K/D ratio. You've basically failed your way to rank 6. Keep on playiing thought if you still enjoy it. It's only a game and a bunch of pixels on a monitor. Doesnt really mena anything.

I guess I'm just a little frustrated my self as I havent been able to get beyond 11. Last two nights I've been in about 6 matches Lost 5 and won 1. I only lost 1 star because I was high scorer almost every time.  I did two battles with over 135K damage and 3 kills each and still got wiped out. ( my average dmg is about 64K and a 1.6 K/D ratio) So yeah, I guess I get frustrated by having people like you ( not you specifically - so dont take it that way) that by playing match after match and dragging most of the teams you play on down. You are spoiling it for others who should be advancing.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0