Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Franz_von_Hipper

BFT or DE for Nicholas?

10 comments in this topic

[-GPS-]
Members
2,954 posts
45,848 battles

BFT first, especially since Demo Expert is only +2% now instead of +3%.

Your guns are for sinking other DDs first and foremost.  Increasing your rate of fire helps you win DD vs. DD contests.

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,614 battles

Get adrenaline rush and SE. You want to be able to fight enemy DDs and get stronger as you're fighting.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

I personally prefer BFT, because I use my USN DDs for hunting DDs, not for farming damage against BBs. 

[A-D-F]
Members
7,879 posts
44,006 battles

I would consider BFT first. RoF matters in knife fights.

[TSG4R]
[TSG4R]
Members
972 posts
5,062 battles

Another thing in favor of BFT over DE is that BFT does effectively increase chances of setting fires because it increases your RoF, and more shells = more chances to set fire.  Not as much as DE, of course, but BFT has other advantages that DE does not.  I especially wouldn't discount the value of the 20% AA boost BFT provides.  No mid-tier DD has enough AA to shoot down large numbers of CV squad planes, but catapult planes can be really annoying to DDs as they'll do things like spot you when you're lurking behind an island trying to set an ambush.  The base AA rating on USN DDs like Nicholas is good enough that if you invest in few buffs like BFT and the AA bonus signal flag, you will usually shoot down a catapult plane in your AA aura before too long.

But personally I'd take SE on the first pass over either BFT or DE.  1,750hp may not seem like much, but IME it makes a real difference in DD vs. DD knife-fights especially, which is what the Nicholas is all about.  Then perhaps pick up BFT and/or DE on 2nd/3rd pass.  As noted, Adrenaline Rush can also serve as a cheaper substitute for for BFT, but only on the 2nd pass -- IMHO, Last Stand is effectively mandatory as your first 2-point skill on DDs.  At the 3-point tier, Si is also especially attractive for USN DDs because of their excellent smoke.  Whether Si is more valuable than BFT or DE depends on how much you like to be a team player -- smoking teammates is incredibly OP with USN DDs if you do it right, especially at lower tiers where there's no radar.

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

Am I the only one who took Superintendent as a T3?  I still regularly find myself using all 4 of my smoke charges.:unsure:

If it comes down to any other T3s besides that though, I'd agree with the people saying Survivability Expert + Adrenaline Rush.  Especially if you're planning to move that captain up in the tiers.

Edited by TenguBlade

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

Superintendent would definitely be my next choice of a t3 skill... But I've honestly found myself using smoke less in my USN DD... I smoke for allies, or if I'm screwed and need to hide, but otherwise not so much. I rely on keeping my guns working, or hunting down DDs... Or, if in a melee, facing juicy citadels or torp hits.

I honestly don't think DE is worth it, given the other choices available...

Sign in to follow this