Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Murcc

Targeted without being detected

10 comments in this topic

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,844 posts
12,007 battles

I have seen this a couple of times recently, where I have been targeted while not being detected.  Is it a new bug or something else?

I have seen it a couple of timse in my DD.  I thought maybe my detection blinked on but I missed it, and then got lit up by a ship from 12km away.  I wasn't in smoke either, so not blind fired into smoke.  It became really noticable in one game with my BB.  I was sitting in our cap bow on to the enemy.  Our DDs had smoked up in between the enemy cap and our cap.  There was no detection from any ship, yet one of the enemy ship rained HE shells on me continuously.  Wherever I moved, his targeting moved with me.  It would be one thing to keep raining shells if he had started shooting while while I was spotted and just kept them coming because they were hitting a target, but he started raining shells while I wasn't detected to start with.  

I know there used to be a bug that was fixed due to the detection going off too soon or not lighting up soon enough.  It was fixed a while ago.  Is this a new one or an exploit of some sort.  It doesn't happen very often, but is annoying when it does.

[ARMDA]
Members
9,004 posts
6,657 battles

Aircraft, radar, or hydro. Ships can detect you but you can't find them back, i.e Atlanta, a ship that can rain shells over islands.

[_AFW_]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
551 posts
8,359 battles

With practice, you can hit ships in smoke that are not detected. If you know the general silhouette of the ship, then you can judge its location and bearing based on hits to the superstructure (usually represented as full penetration with HE or overpen with AP). This is even easier with large ships such as battleships, as they are big and slow. Additionally, ships in a single smoke cloud are also very easy to hit as they do not have as much room to hide in.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts

Sometimes you can fire where you think that an enemy is or may go and get hits even though they are neither detected nor target locked. In a game just now, I noticed a DD pop in and out of view. I also noticed a rock near shore in the direction he was heading. I lobbed several shells behind that rock and, sure enough, a few hit him.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Tracers work both ways.

Now that ranked is up and running, more people are gaining the skill to shoot back at the tracers.

[FAQUE]
Members
523 posts
8,092 battles

Speaking of tracers, Flamu just put out a really good video on it.  I think it's worth a watch, and it definitely showed me a new use for scout planes.  Sadly, I'm only at the Fuso in the IJN BB tree, otherwise I'd give this a shot.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

Something else here... first a request I made over in the suggestions thread: I want the ability to turn-off the auto-target lock built into the game. You can "X" to deselect a target - but the game will lock the next closest target. This target locking occurs automatically, cannot be turned off, only a ship can be deselected. 

If you have the skill "Priority Target" on your commander, when someone targets you with their main guns, you get a number inside the circle. This informs you how many ships have their main guns locked on you (as described above). 

What I do is this - as soon as I have a target, I will deselect them until I'm ready to fire, then press "X" to select them, fire, then deselect them again. In such a case their Priority Target indicator would flash on when I first pick them up (say they are sailing broadside to me). It will go off when I deselect them but of course I am still targeting them. 

When I'm ready to fire a quick "X" selects them, I fire at their broadside hull then deselect - so they will see the PT indicator go on, then go off... and some seconds later they should take a solid hit, maybe even a citadel. 

It could be a player is doing this with you using radar or hydro. 

Sign in to follow this