Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sir_Davos_Seaworth

USN teak decking

18 comments in this topic

Members
4,272 posts
5,302 battles

The true color of this stuff comes up every time people talk about how it looks in the game. I happen to have some that I bought from the N. Carolina's gift shop years ago. It was a fine day here in the Land of Endless clouds, as there was a large thermonuclear explosion in space to provide light. So off to the back yard...

deck%20one_zpsnfcbzx1x.jpg

deck%20two_zps1yj2wmhw.jpg

deck%20three_zpsmt7uzowl.jpg

I was kind of expecting it to burst into flames, but I guess there wasn't any Atlanta's around... :trollface:

• Cool 5

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,812 posts
26,863 battles

That. Is an awesome memorabilia piece. How much was it?

Members
4,272 posts
5,302 battles

Yeah, out in the weather from 1940 to 99... But if you think about it, this stuff does hold up really well. I wounder how much a back deck off my house would cost? :teethhappy:

[B-TX]
Members
360 posts
3,256 battles

Should consider yourself lucky.  Texas for example you can only buy scraps of original steel from her.  The wood deck on her right now was installed when she went to Todds Shipyard back in the late '80s.  Before that after Texas was given to the state in 1948 her original wood deck was ripped up and concrete was poured on her deck.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Looks pretty weathered, though.

I would guess it looked like LNER teak when new, but USN Teak is deck material on a ship, compared to railway coach decoration material.

Members
43 posts

Rather makes Me wonder, what My pieces of Plankowner teak decking from the IOWA would be worth ? ??  Issued to Me in '84.  I have no need of them.

Members
4,272 posts
5,302 battles

Rather makes Me wonder, what My pieces of Plankowner teak decking from the IOWA would be worth ? ??  Issued to Me in '84.  I have no need of them.

We demand pics!!! So cool! :great:

Members
43 posts

uV3EHI8.jpg?1​Just a piece of original 1942 teakwood decking from the IOWA.  Given to all of Us as members of the Reactivation / Commissioning crew, 1982-1984. Most of Us original 200 members helped the yardbirds in Avondale & Pascagoula rip up the planks that needed to be replaced. Planks were sent off & finished, brass name plaques attached for each crewmember.   

• Cool 2

Members
4,272 posts
5,302 battles

uV3EHI8.jpg?1​Just a piece of original 1942 teakwood decking from the IOWA.  Given to all of Us as members of the Reactivation / Commissioning crew, 1982-1984. Most of Us original 200 members helped the yardbirds in Avondale & Pascagoula rip up the planks that needed to be replaced. Planks were sent off & finished, brass name plaques attached for each crewmember.   

A W E S O M E!!!!!

[AKO]
Members
203 posts
1,451 battles

...and I'm guessing all I'll get, ~40 years from now, will be just a hunk of steel from the Reagan. Teak would be much more awesome.

• Cool 1

[XODUS]
Alpha Tester
4,697 posts
2,130 battles

I would guess it looked like LNER teak when new, but USN Teak is deck material on a ship, compared to railway coach decoration material.

And there's a whole bunch of stuff you do to take care of it like holystoning mentioned earlier.

Members
43 posts

And there's a whole bunch of stuff you do to take care of it like holystoning mentioned earlier.

​I can't speak for the other 3 BB's, however on the IOWA, shortly after commissioning, several futile attempts were made with the pumice holystone; it was actually causing more damage than good.

eventually  We had used a borax solution with heavy nylon scrub-brushes to clean the teakwood decking; proved to be more effective, & less time-consuming.

Sign in to follow this