Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Megatron1984

Tier 6 Fubuki is awful

22 comments in this topic

Members
33 posts
6,002 battles

Before the introduction of the "gunboat" Japanese destroyers, I was having a lot of fun in my ninja torpedo DDs. The Mutsuki at tier 6 was enjoyable, and I had some fun in it.

But now, the Fubuki is at tier 6, and it's just awful for me. I can't ninja torpedo the same way I used to. People ALWAYS avoid my torpedoes at long range, even when I'm not detected or using a smokescreen! I understand the cruisers and maybe the carriers doing it, but when the BATTLESHIPS are able to avoid your torpedoes when you haven't been detected, there is something wrong. It's not right when you come out of a battle having done 0 damage when you are using the ships strengths, long range torpedoes and low detection range, to ninja torpedo people. The only way I can do torpedo damage is if I rush at an enemy and unload all of my torpedoes at point blank range, which I can only do once because of how much health I lose doing so.

Am I playing the new Fubuki wrong, or is it really a pile of crap, because I feel this thing got hit WAY too hard with the nerf bat. And is there any advice on how I can get damage on enemies in this thing, because it just isn't fun.

Members
6,603 posts
8,658 battles

I find Fubuki to be a strong ship at T6, granted I never played the old T8 Fubuki. However, I do have some experience in the old T6 Mutsuki to compare to. Fubuki is better by a long shot, and a lot of that has to do with her flexibility via the extra set of torpedo tubes.

Fubuki's torps are slow(relatively), but it's possible to hit things with them. Yes, you do occasionally run into the competent BB captains that are on their toes and avoid all of your torpedoes(it's really due to the detection range, since those torps are spotted at 1.6km away, which is a problem across both lines of IJN DDs), but otherwise, it's really very manageable.

As for suggestions, you need CE. 6.1km surface detection isn't super great, but it's really workable. Next, you need to try and get as close to your target as possible before releasing torps. I find the best ranges to launch are in between 6.3km and 7km, as you should have time to turn out and away before you are spotted. But don't attempt to torpedo ships that are 8.5km-10km away the whole game, that will almost guarantee you don't get any torpedo hits. Lastly, if you feel the torps are too slow, you can always take TA on your captain. I ran Fubuki with this skill when I was grinding out Akatsuki, and found it very helpful. The extra speed does help, and the playstyle is very similar to Kamikaze/Minekaze since the torpedo range isn't much farther than your surface detection range.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

Members
1,128 posts
7,268 battles

Well you should never come out of a game with 0 damage but yes, the Fubuki is quite bad. Might be less bad with CE. I always had to launch my torps from 7.5+ km. They were too slow and too easy to detect.

[KIA]
Members
3,839 posts
18,764 battles

You're not playing wrong but all IJN DD are crap, except the Shinonome/ Yuugumo and Shimakaze . In the alternative line, the only worth ship is the Akizuki, Mutsuki, Shiratsuyu and Hatsuharu are all crap. 

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
351 posts
10,692 battles

You're not playing wrong but all IJN DD are crap, except the Shinonome/ Yuugumo and Shimakaze . In the alternative line, the only worth ship is the Akizuki, Mutsuki, Shiratsuyu and Hatsuharu are all crap. 

Agreed, except that shiratsuyu is not bad at all, good concealment and 16 torp soups at hand are really devastating.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

I am having rather decent time with shinonome.     the key is get  close to the target as possible without being detected before firing  .  beyond that, good positioning is a must as well as shooting down likely avenue of approach.  (I hit a kagero today with a  torp unseen, and then killed it with the guns later in the match as well as abused and killed a mahan)  you will do much better once you have CE though.  

[KIA]
Members
3,839 posts
18,764 battles

Agreed, except that shiratsuyu is not bad at all, good concealment and 16 torp soups at hand are really devastating.

She indeed have good concealment but torps sucks they are spotted from the moon. You can be invisible during the whole game and score only 2-3 torps just when you use your reload booster.  She would have been good if they buffed the torps detection to 1.2km instead of 1.6
  • Cool 1

Members
33 posts
6,002 battles

I find Fubuki to be a strong ship at T6, granted I never played the old T8 Fubuki. However, I do have some experience in the old T6 Mutsuki to compare to. Fubuki is better by a long shot, and a lot of that has to do with her flexibility via the extra set of torpedo tubes.

Fubuki's torps are slow(relatively), but it's possible to hit things with them. Yes, you do occasionally run into the competent BB captains that are on their toes and avoid all of your torpedoes(it's really due to the detection range, since those torps are spotted at 1.6km away, which is a problem across both lines of IJN DDs), but otherwise, it's really very manageable.

As for suggestions, you need CE. 6.1km surface detection isn't super great, but it's really workable. Next, you need to try and get as close to your target as possible before releasing torps. I find the best ranges to launch are in between 6.3km and 7km, as you should have time to turn out and away before you are spotted. But don't attempt to torpedo ships that are 8.5km-10km away the whole game, that will almost guarantee you don't get any torpedo hits. Lastly, if you feel the torps are too slow, you can always take TA on your captain. I ran Fubuki with this skill when I was grinding out Akatsuki, and found it very helpful. The extra speed does help, and the playstyle is very similar to Kamikaze/Minekaze since the torpedo range isn't much farther than your surface detection range.

Thanks for the advice, this really helps. I never played tier 8 Fubuki either, but, like I said, I had the Mutsuki before the Japanese DD line was re-worked.

I have concealment expert on my captain, and I always use camo that reduces my detection range for maximum stealth. Torpedo acceleration isn't my favorite tier 3 skill for DD, but I might give it a try, when I get the skill points for it.

As for the 1.6 km detection of torpedoes, they really outta reduce that. Make them like the German DD torpedoes. One time, I got ninja torpedoed by a Gaede because there was just no time to turn after spotting the torps since they were spotted so close, and I was in a Cleveland.

Members
31 posts
4,292 battles

I agree that they really messed the Fubuki up bad with the split in lines, however totally disagree about the Shira being a bad boat.  I have consistently won high caliber in her since I picked her up for ranked, to include a 149k game last night.  With the IJN torps it is a bit more about anticipating where your torps need to be and not where the indicator is telling you to launch them.  Try to anticipate more the direction the target is going to try and avoid them and lead some down that path, you will be surprised at the results.

Good Hunting!!

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,558 posts
15,272 battles

She indeed have good concealment but torps sucks they are spotted from the moon. You can be invisible during the whole game and score only 2-3 torps just when you use your reload booster.  She would have been good if they buffed the torps detection to 1.2km instead of 1.6

If you have problem landing torps with her, try adding torpedo acceleration skill. She has good enough concealment to make 8km torps work.

[BMBF]
Members
208 posts
16,007 battles

Torpedo Acceleration

2pt skill

It transformed the old Mutsuki, t6, into a shipkiller for me. The extra speed shaves off an extra second the target has to turn and avoid getting hit.

Setting up targets is a tad more difficult with the slower Fubuki. Yet, the extra torpedoes allow a broader pattern. You have more torpedoes.

GhostSwordsman's advice is on point here.

Detection radii is a large part of the difficulty. A lot of captains take Vigilance, 3 pt skill, which increases spotting by 25% for torpedoes. Tier8 has access to Target Acquisition Module, an extra 20%.

So, for example, a 1.6km detect becomes 2km with Vigilance. A tier 8 Bismarck with TAS module can stack it for a 2.4km detect WITHOUT popping Hydro. If Bismarck does use Hydro, then detection goes through the roof.

You should begin to understand why some BBs have a 'sixth sense' regarding your torpedoes.

Granted, not all BB captains use the perks. They can rely on teammates, planes, and PERSONAL SKILLZ !!!

Personal skills do account for a lot. So use distraction to outsmart them. My personal favorite is deliberately revealing myself just before they get torpedo warnings. They acquire me, aim, then blow up

[R-R-R]
Members
1,069 posts
11,452 battles

I find Fubuki torps very potent at T6. 10km 3x3 torps at a very low cool down is quite strong.

It does lack a bit of gun power but you won't need to use them often if you play careful.

Overall, I found it a very enjoyable ship to play. 

My T6DD stats and I think it is a very balanced ship compared to others.

T6 DD.PNG

Edited by Exciton8964

[KIA]
Members
3,839 posts
18,764 battles

If you have problem landing torps with her, try adding torpedo acceleration skill. She has good enough concealment to make 8km torps work.

That's what i was thinking for my Shiratsuyu but i gave up since i can't hit anythings, i'm detected because trollolol radar because MM and other crapstuff like that.I can't properly build a commander with this ship so i'll try to unlock the Shinonome and maybe i'll give a second chance. I only play Akizuki in IJN DD but i don't have anymore fun playing main IJN DD, even Germain DD are better torps boat than IJN. 

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

trick to shiratsuyu is  optimum use of its 16 torp wall.   you can delete ships when used properly. to an extent same with shinonome and fubuki.   I do like shinonome because it has faster torps that is similar to having TA.       and to use it optimally, you need good position.     yesterday in shinonome,  i torp kited pair of BBs for 3 min and did like 80k dmg     look for those opportunities.

Members
6,603 posts
8,658 battles

Torpedo Acceleration

2pt skill

It transformed the old Mutsuki, t6, into a shipkiller for me. The extra speed shaves off an extra second the target has to turn and avoid getting hit.

Setting up targets is a tad more difficult with the slower Fubuki. Yet, the extra torpedoes allow a broader pattern. You have more torpedoes.

GhostSwordsman's advice is on point here.

Detection radii is a large part of the difficulty. A lot of captains take Vigilance, 3 pt skill, which increases spotting by 25% for torpedoes. Tier8 has access to Target Acquisition Module, an extra 20%.

So, for example, a 1.6km detect becomes 2km with Vigilance. A tier 8 Bismarck with TAS module can stack it for a 2.4km detect WITHOUT popping Hydro. If Bismarck does use Hydro, then detection goes through the roof.

You should begin to understand why some BBs have a 'sixth sense' regarding your torpedoes.

Granted, not all BB captains use the perks. They can rely on teammates, planes, and PERSONAL SKILLZ !!!

Personal skills do account for a lot. So use distraction to outsmart them. My personal favorite is deliberately revealing myself just before they get torpedo warnings. They acquire me, aim, then blow up

This is always fun to do, and somewhat hilarious when it works.

Just the other day I did exactly this in my Kamikaze. Launched a salvo at an approaching NY. He was at an angle where he had a very high chance of threading them when the torpedoes became visible. So, I purposefully opened fire at him and revealed myself to force him to go broadside to my torpedo salvo while attempting to get all guns on target(me). Needless to say, he ate two or three, which is enough to kill from full HP, and would have eaten more if he'd had more HP.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[SPUDS]
[SPUDS]
Members
571 posts
3,510 battles

I've recently started playing with bucky, and I find her to be a blast to use, especially compared to the hatsuharu.

She has an extra set of torpedoes, which when using hatsuharu style tactics, can easily trick a battleship into hitting them. 

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
23,359 battles

Am I playing the new Fubuki wrong, or is it really a pile of crap

WoW purposely overnerfed Fubuki so they could push the Shinonome, which is a Fubuki with the correct number of turrets. Right now, because of a number of things, IJN DD's are a challenge to play; so it's not you, and it's not that Fubuki is a pile of crap, it's that right now the whole IJN line is kinda crappy.
  • Cool 1

[RCNW3]
Members
2,005 posts
27,108 battles

Fubuki was my least enjoyable IJN DD up to this point, grinding Kag right now.  Hated Fub until put on torp acceleration, after that just active dislike for it.  Did not enjoy being uptiered in Fub, slow, not very nimble, and limited when forced into knife fight.  Was quite happy to sell when the time came.

[TFLT]
Members
305 posts
16,212 battles

Cough...Kamikaze/Fujin?

Members
482 posts
25,759 battles

Yeah Fubuki is crap. :cap_rambo: 134K damage, sunk 3 ships Fuso, Konig, Bogue and heavy damage to a Hood in a weekend random battle. 10pt captain with CE, Sierra Mike flag, -3% detection camo with 4 smoke and 4 speed boosts. Hell I was only #2 scorer as a Hatsuhara had a Kraken on our team! I love to play IJN DDs for their low concealment numbers and high damage potential. Did 142K in my Mutsuki with 4 ships sunk several weeks ago.

Edited by dust340man

Sign in to follow this