You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
1nc0mp3t3nt_1

an 1nc0mp3t3nt rant: Ranked battles

65 comments in this topic

[BARF]
Beta Testers
5,816 posts
5,484 battles

Yeah yeah, I know I am only adding salt to the already too salty sea, but

M2sjqWI.jpg This weekend, the weekenders are really driving me to drink. I am trying not to get plastered so I can continue to play, but seriously I am now 2 hours Now 3.5 hours into drinking and that bottle was freshly opened after a string of losses that slowly broght me down. the fact that I am seeing AFKers who aRE RANKED HIGHER THAN ME IS DEPRESSING MAN.

sorry, but caps lock. shoot me in battle for it.

but my real issue is this: Ranked this season in the lower brackets feels very one sided. Either my team is doomed to fail or the enemy team is, which makes it hard for me to make the risky moves that often used to put my team in the lead on points because I am finding a lot of battles are ending up like this:

Jf75Buc.jpg

j33TXfB.jpgvc89VpC.jpgv6Yqriv.jpgreplay

I have resorted to playing what must be the least ranked friendly ship in my roster: my Leberecht Maass, and I am having killer games in it too, but I just lack the purple required to carry my team to a win it seems

so, here are my not so sober musings on what would improve the next Ranked season:

• If this game mode is about individual skill, then commit to rewarding individual skill. Remove the win bonus from the second screen, make gaining a star all about reaching a base exp threshold rather than winning. for example: If a player gets less than 700 exp without taking win bonus into account- they lose a star, if a player gets 700-999 exp, the don't lose a star win or lose, and if they exceed 1000 exp, they gain a star
  • nix the Tier 7. Honestly- as many Tier 7s as I have(mostly ALL the Myoko clones), this tier seems to be too welcoming on people who are determined to throw a match
  • Lock the pink players out of Ranked battles. It should be a privilege to play Ranked, not a right. You were punished for teamkilling, let it be a punishment FFS
  • Players who travel less than 6Km in the battle should have ranked locked until they can sail 5 battles without AFKing: Not only am I upset when I see people who are AFK at a higher rank than I, but when there is an AFKER on the team, it tends to throw the match to the other team.
  • Make the ranked bracket MM tighter, Make it +1/-1. We are all queueing up to be put into an interesting game. One sided games are just no fun, win or lose

Say what you like, but these are rants that have been bottled up for a while. Now I shall take some more alcohol before I get too sober.

EDIT: damn  these posts take a while to make when you are failing from one battle to the next

Edited by 1nc0mp3t3nt_1
  • Cool 2

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Don't be too quick to judge the AFKers though. For example, my internet was acting weird yesterday, and I kept disconnecting once every few games. In one game, I actually was not able to reconnect for whatever reason. Most people don't choose to go AFK . 

Edited by Aduial
  • Cool 1

[BARF]
Beta Testers
5,816 posts
5,484 battles

Don't be too quick to judge the AFKers though. For example, my internet was acting weird yesterday, and I kept disconnecting once every few games. In one game, I actually was not able to reconnect for whatever reason. Most people don't choose to go AFK . 

I am sorry but if by 4 minutes into the game, you have not so much as moved your turrets to signal that you are at your keyboard, why are you playing the game mode? to me, there is NO excuse for being AFK.

And following your username... 1 0nly c4m3 h3r3 f0r th3 p1ctur3es

Since I am in Australia and my Wife Milledgeville, GA, I am having a fine evening with the Gentleman

Edited by 1nc0mp3t3nt_1

[TWT]
Members
1,726 posts
14,473 battles

There aren't enough people to +1/-1. The queues in 5-2 are already moderately long, depending on what time it is. It might work in the lower ranks, but it'll make the top bracket absurdly difficult to find games in.

[BARF]
Beta Testers
5,816 posts
5,484 battles

There aren't enough people to +1/-1. The queues in 5-2 are already moderately long, depending on what time it is. It might work in the lower ranks, but it'll make the top bracket absurdly difficult to find games in.

I don't know about that, considering the amount of games that c0mp3t3nt people playing will lose because the rest of the team can not do their bit in ensuring the win

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

I am sorry but if by 4 minutes into the game, you have not so much as moved your turrets to signal that you are at your keyboard, why are you playing the game mode? to me, there is NO excuse for being AFK.

There can be multiple reasons. The internet may go down, perhaps a power outage happens, and sometimes even though your internet is fine, the game just won't let you reconnect. 

Beta Testers
4,735 posts
7,019 battles

i don't know why but the way your "battlestation" is messy triggers me.

[BARF]
Beta Testers
5,816 posts
5,484 battles

i don't know why but the way your "battlestation" is messy triggers me.

lol good thing I did not take a photo of the full battlestation. I live in a perpetual clutter. I have 2X monitors, and on the middle shelf, a PS4, PS3, a few statues, and MANY spare cables. Plus a nearly used can of air
  • Cool 1

Members
1,776 posts
6,729 battles

I believe we had 2 battles together yesterday. I apologize for the last one. I was a little bit salty with my Scharnhorst, which influenced my gameplay quite badly. As a result I made a wrong choice...

[Y0L0]
Beta Testers
1,971 posts
12,941 battles

You should have watched Flamu's stream today where he stated not once but twice, that ranked battles from rank 15-7 is the absolute worst because you have to carry every single team yourself usually. He showed this multiple times on NA and EU alt accounts. What is happening? fail players, that's what's happening. These fail players get carried to rank 15 evenutally and after that it is win one, lose one, win one, lose one until someone carries them again for two-three wins. These ranks 15-7 see all the spammers endlessly spamming ranked games hoping, not trying, for wins. This is what makes ranked not worth playing unless you can carry games yourself. Flamu today often had to get 100K damage per game for a win in ranked on both servers. That is like getting 200K damage or more in a normal tier 7 random game. He had to do this just to barely win half the time, not win by a large margine, but just to scrape by with a win.

This is why I haven't even started ranked this season. I am only going to go to about 15 myself and I want more of the try hards to abandon the mode in frustration before I take my ship out of port for ranked games. So don't feel bad, you should have seen Flamu today. The worst teams ever, total ranked carry games, every mistake made in the book by his team and the enemy as well. It was inspiring to see that ranked is crap for everyone man, everyone it seems.

Edited by Rounne

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

This is why I haven't even started ranked this season. I am only going to go to about 15 myself and I want more of the try hards to abandon the mode in frustration before I take my ship out of port for ranked games. So don't feel bad, you should have seen Flamu today. The worst teams ever, total ranked carry games, every mistake made in the book by his team and the enemy as well. It was inspiring to see that ranked is crap for everyone man, everyone it seems.

I think the trick is to start and finish Ranked as soon as possible. I started playing Ranked as soon as it started this season, and I breezed past up to R9 with no problem. But then after that I had to take a break, and now I'm yoyo-ing back and forth. 
  • Cool 1

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
10,005 battles

Dear 1nc0mp3t3nt_1,

OMFG please stream or provide replays of your games. The status of being a statistical anomaly without explanation haunts my soul. Show us, the WoWS community, how you do average damage but still somehow, single handedly influence the outcome of the matches. 

[BARF]
Beta Testers
5,816 posts
5,484 battles

Dear 1nc0mp3t3nt_1,

OMFG please stream or provide replays of your games. The status of being a statistical anomaly without explanation haunts my soul. Show us, the WoWS community, how you do average damage but still somehow, single handedly influence the outcome of the matches. 

my internet has a maximum upstream of 1Mbps. Streaming is not possible from my awareness. I have wanted to do this for some time. you got my influence damned right.

I lost that game for all 7 of my team by dying- the one I posted the replay and screenies of, but I felt like the enemy would have won if I had lef thim cap, so I took a risk

Edited by 1nc0mp3t3nt_1

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
10,005 battles

my internet has a maximum upstream of 1Mbps. Streaming is not possible from my awareness. I have wanted to do this for some time. you got my influence damned right.

I lost that game for all 7 of my team by dying- the one I posted the replay and screenies of, but I felt like the enemy would have won if I had lef thim cap, so I took a risk

replay pack OMFG PLEASE! Only my Kagero can match your uber awesome anomaliness.

Shed your guiding light on us undeserving souls. 

[BARF]
Beta Testers
5,816 posts
5,484 battles

replay pack OMFG PLEASE! Only my Kagero can match your uber awesome anomaliness.

Shed your guiding light on us undeserving souls. 

I mean, if you really did not mind potato quality stream, I could show, otherwise, I have a bunch of videos on my youtube channel

I am still playing so let me know if you really want to see my unique kind of potato play.lol

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
10,005 battles

I mean, if you really did not mind potato quality stream, I could show, otherwise, I have a bunch of videos on my youtube channel

I am still playing so let me know if you really want to see my unique kind of potato play.lol

That's all I need your anomaliness, a visible minimap position is enough.

[BARF]
Beta Testers
5,816 posts
5,484 battles

That's all I need your anomaliness, a visible minimap position is enough.

then jump onto youtube, I guess. I have wanted to try out ReLive for streaming and see how it stacks against xsplit.

Yeah ReLive sucks for streaming. checking out twitch again, apparently they have improved servers for Australia. 

Edit: 540p.eeewwwww. 

Yeah no, 300ms latency. Yuck. Tell your what, I'll use ReLive to record 2-3 battles tonight for you and I'll in load them while sleeping, it will take about 8 hours to upload, but you will get more feedback than a replay because you will see what I am actually looking at and aiming at

Edited by 1nc0mp3t3nt_1

[BARF]
Beta Testers
5,816 posts
5,484 battles

righto, picked 3 battles, I am gonna upload while I sleep off that bottle of Jack. I did get quite... not exactly sober.lol, but hey- thats probably what makes me so.... whatever I am at this game.lol

[GLF]
Members
580 posts
7,400 battles

I am just limiting my ranked matches. Last night was very fun for me.

My highlight was ramming a full health Belfast with about 2k health left on my myoko. Therapeutic.

[BARF]
Beta Testers
5,816 posts
5,484 battles

I am just limiting my ranked matches. Last night was very fun for me.

My highlight was ramming a full health Belfast with about 2k health left on my myoko. Therapeutic.

Monday-Friday, it's impossible for me to play between the hours of 05:00-19:00, from about 19:20-21:00,i play, and then weekends are the best chance for me to grind. 

My time zone is UTC+10:00, so I generally miss the best times to be playing. That being said, I am quite inebriated at this point, and that bottle of Jack is empty, so I'm calling it a night. Lol 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,725 posts
13,120 battles

My big problem is all the radar ships radar-ing through solid rock.

Hopefully this season forces WG to make radar operate by LOS.