Gott_Und_Kaiser

Best Cruiser Line for HE spam?

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

22 posts in this topic

Hello, I have been looking for a cruiser line to play - I like to spam HE. Which line is best for this?

Thanks in advance

IJN has better fire chance, RU has better RoF

Would say Russ line 100%...there are a few gems in the line:

T3 Bog..is a fire god.

T6 Budonny fantastic HE spammer with great range..

IJN for sure has some as well..but not quite as spammy...more hard hitting though.

For an entire line on average, Russian. For T10, if that matters to you... My experiences with burning alive tell me Zao is the tops there. 

The Russian cruisers spam HE the most, ask a battleship

The russians have better rof, but the IJN have better fire chance and the difference in guns is not that notorious (IJN tier 7+ get 10 guns, VMF tier 6-8 have a 3-gun turret which is good for getting fires constantly.

Both ships are quite fast, getting some 35 kn speed, and IJN ships are sturdy for a cruiser. Russian ships are somehow fragile until tier 8 (the only one with enough armor to prevent citadels from cruisers).

It depends on your playstyle and with which you feel comfortable, they are both worth grinding.

Royal Navy cruiser line. The Minotaur is really op with its HE shells

We have a troll here XD

I wouldn't call the Japanese Cruiser line "HE Spammers" at all. Only one would qualify IMO( see beow ). The IJN ships on paper have good HE damage but they are hardly Spammers. The Russian line has the most and the US line has some excellent ones. German line is only average. Britsih line only has one ship at all with HE and it is a Premium so they are out as far as researching a line goes.

To me for a ship to “Spam” HE it needs a reasonable to fast rate of fire( 8 seconds or less ), a lot of guns( 9 minimum ), good range for it’s tier, and the ability to sit behind islands and shoot up and over them. That to me is what an HE Spammer is. Just having good HE damage tech specs doesn't make a ship an HE Spammer IMO and with all due respect to the others. To me Spamming implies a butt load of shells coming at a rapid rate.

All the ship lines that have HE available through T4 can burn most ships down really. T5/T6 however is where certain ships/ship lines stand out at Spamming though and it is where you need to start deciding how much further to proceed if HE Spamming is what you want to do. Not all ships in the line will be true Spammers while some will. Obviously the British ships are out as the only one that has HE is the premium Belfast. There is no tech tree of ships to research.

Here are the standard tech tree ships by nation that for me qualify as HE Spammers T3-T10. This list doesn’t mean that the ships not listed can’t do decent HE damage. However, you specifically said “Spammer” and that is very different than just good HE damage IMO.

USA:

T3 St. Louis. While more like a small Battleship than a Cruiser the STL has a lot of guns for low tier and 8 second reloads. At T3 it can really throw the HE Spam. Shell arc and range aren't great but again it is low tier and it has a lot of HP and armor so it can get closer to burn things up.

T6 Cleveland. This ship truly is an HE Spammer. 12 guns that fire every 8 seconds with a high shell arc so you can hide behind islands and burn enemy ships down. The ship also has excellent AP as well for when it is needed. Very good choice if you want to Spam HE. Only limitation is the range could be better at just 14.6km. Good toughness and the biggest HP pool of the T6 Cruisers.

T10 Des Moines. This ship can be called an HE Spammer IMO even though it is a T10. 9 203MM guns that fire every 5.5 seconds with a 15.8km range.  This thing can throw some HE. Most HE shells p/ minute of any standard tech tree Cruiser in the game that can put all it’s guns at once on the enemy.

German:

T3 Kolberg. This ship has 12 guns( limited as to how many can be brought to bear and fired at a time though )and fires every 4 seconds. I have done a lot of damage at low tiers with it using HE against BB’s and other ships. Not a lot of individual damage p/ shell but shear volume at 4 second reloads can be awesome. Limited range however.

T5 Konigsberg. This ship has 9 150MM guns and fires every 7.5 seconds. It has excellent range when maxed out( 16.5km )and decent if not great shell arc for a Spammer. The HE damage is not great but you can throw a good amount of shells very fast and it is super accurate. It is one of my favorite ships to play in the game period. Poor armor and easily citadeled though so you have to keep moving with it or shoot from cover.

T6 Nurnberg. It is the exact same ship as Konigsberg pretty much with a different rear turret layout. Same 9 150MM guns, same max 16.5 km range, same HE damage, but the ROF drops to every 6 seconds. This ship qualifies as an HE Spammer for sure IMO.

Russian:

T3 Bogatyr & T4 Svietlana. Both ships just miss the cut due to reload times IMO but it is close. Each has a good number of guns and decent range for their tier but the reload is too long 9 seconds for stock Bogatyr and it is actually worse at 10 seconds if you upgrade the guns. Svietlana has a 10 seconds reload time. Neither is really a Spammer but they are close and at low tiers get the job done.

T6 Budyonny. Has 9 152MM’s that fire every 8 seconds. Range is excellent at 16,6km. Tough ship to play that actually needs to use it’s range and shoot from behind islands and such as it has very weak armor. Definitely a Spammer.

T7 Shchors. The Russian Cleveland. 12 152MM guns, 8 second reloads, but  with a much better 16.8km range vs. Cleveland’s 14.6km. For a T7 Cruiser that will see up to T9 ships it’s armor is a weakness. They can be chewed up pretty quick if caught broadside. It has the lowest HP pool of any standard tech tree T7 Cruiser.

T8 Chapayev. Another 12 gun 152MM, 8 second reload, good range( 17.3km ), below average armor, Cruiser. Like the Shchors at T7, the Chapayev at T8 has the lowest HP pool of any standard tech tree Cruiser.

Japanese:

T8 Mogami. The only IJN Cruiser IMO that qualifies as an HE Spammer. However, it only does so if you do not upgrade the guns to the 203MM’s. If you do it adds way too much time to reloads( + 5 seconds )and you lose a 3rd of your guns( -5 ). In stock gun form the ship has 15 155MM guns, that reload every 10 seconds, and have a 15.7km range.  While 10 seconds is a bit long having 15 guns makes up for it; throwing the same number of shells as Cleveland in a minute @ 90. It also has the second best HP pool of the standard tech tree T8 Cruisers behind only the German Hipper.

There are also some Premium ships that are very good HE Spammers including the one I absolutely hate to see the most = USN T7 Atlanta. Man that thing is brutal if you are in a BB.  It has 16 127MM guns that fire every 5 seconds.  That is 192 shells a minute!!!! Not a lot of HP and range is only 11.2km but it just rains HE from that thing. I don’t believe you can buy it right now but if and when you can again, if you want an HE Spammer, get that ship.

Another very good Premium HE Spammer is the Russian T8 Mikhail Kutuzov. 12 152MM guns that fire every 8 seconds like Cleveland, Shchors, and Chapayev. It has good armor, has a lot of HP, and is a beast in other aspects besides HE. If a premium ship interests you that can Spam HE and do more this is the one. I hate seeing this ship on the other side too.

The British T7 Premium Cruiser Belfast is another excellent HE Spammer with it’s 12 152MM guns that fire at an excellent rate of 7.5 seconds. It has a decent HP pool, range( 15.4km ), and has smoke. Very good Premium HE Spammer that also has access to the excellent BRN AP.

I know this was long but I was bored and didn’t mind looking all the stats up. I looked at it as a chance to educate myself and also confirm what I have seen with my own eyes while playing( against ships or in them ). If you are just looking for exceptional HE damage then the IJN line is probably the best overall spec wise( again I never felt it lived up to the spec’s or hype when I played it due to long reloads and very few guns as a rule ). The Russian line has the most overall ships at varying tiers. The US has the best standard tech tree HE Spammer of the lot in the Des Moines at T10 which over a minute’s time puts out the most shells( 98 ).

So if your definition of HE Spamming is the same as mine then the Russian or US lines are the ones to focus on IMO. I couldn’t get past Kirov at T5 for the Russian line so I can’t comment on the higher level ships listed above from any perspective other than receiving(LOL). In that regard they are very good but they are also easy to destroy usually.  Of the ones I have actually researched and bought the Cleveland is an HE Spammer’s dream.

Hope it helps. :izmena:

Edited by AdmiralThunder

Murmansk is Great at HE fire spam once you figure out how to survive in it ,the reload time is 7 seconds at full health but I run the faster turret rotation for a 7.5 second reload, the Kutuzof is very good also with a 8.5 second reload , both Premium both Russian 

Edited by HMCS_Devilfish

If only that were true.

Russian or IJN Cruiser lines.

RU Cruisers tend to have longer range, okay fire chance, excel at range, decent HE damage.  The more prevalent use of 152mm lets the Tier VI-VIII RU Cruisers be very spammy in their attacks.

IJN Cruisers tend to have average range, high HE damage, very high fire chance.  Relying more on 203mm guns from Tier V onwards, their ROF isn't fast like the RU 152mm but when they hit, they hit hard and easily set fires.

That's the general feel but there will be some weird ones, i.e. Zao bucks that trend and has insane range, laser accuracy, the nastiest HE+Fire capability of any Cruiser (and still good AP to boot).

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

I think IJN as a whole is more HE-spam friendly. From T7 onwards you can basically just shoot HE thanks to the fact that it's fantastic.

While Russian CLs are certainly HE-spammers, the Moskva relies on AP too much to sell the line as an HE-spam line.

If you want literal HE spam, go Russian. If you want hard-hitting HE, go IJN.

This.

Although it's my understanding that IFHE allows russian light cruiser guns to do a good deal of damage too.

This.

Although it's my understanding that IFHE allows russian light cruiser guns to do a good deal of damage too.

IFHE + Demo = :D

For 150-180 mm guns anyway. I don't have enough skill points for my Atlanta captain yet, but it is frightening to run into one. All of the Russian cruisers T5-9 benefit from IFHE. Cleveland would too, but I take Concealment Expert first for any cruiser. And the Belfast was good (bad?) enough already without IFHE. Finally, the Mikail Kutuzov really needed a buff... NOT!  Sure is fun though. 

203 and up HE shells can already penetrate whatever they are going to without IFHE.

This.

The gunnery and range is also better on the RU Cruiser guns, especially the spammy 152mm.  Easy guns to use at range.  IJN CAs have very average gun range and okay performance in shell flight but as said, they hit way harder per volley and have a high fire chance.  Then Ibuki gets them long range.  Then Zao gets then long range and laser accuracy, as well as even MORE power.  RU ones get more power with the 180mm also as well as Moskva's 200-something mm.

Anyways I got IFHE+DE on my Schors and its hilarious.