nhf

Tactics/Decisons That (Pretty Much) Never Work

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

30 posts in this topic

There is a bad tactic/decision because it did not work out, and then there are bad tactics/decisions because they (pretty much) NEVER work out.  Curious as to fellow player observations on the latter.  

My contribution to start things off:  The Battleship Circle Jerk... circle and swirl at max range (or further) while avoiding engagement or contributing to the battle in any meaningful way while weaker ally ships (e.g. Cruisers and Destroyers) endure focus fire from enemy Battleships, Cuisers and Destroyers, and are subsequently quickly destroyed, then the mass of remaining enemy ships converge on said circle jerkers resulting in an ally loss, often a blowout.  

Yours?

Edited by nhf

<---- See profile picture.  Driving in a straight line

Edited by Nachoo31

"Stay at the base and let them come to us"

Fools still think this works at T7. Have they not learned?

"Stay at the base and let them come to us"

That works only in Coop.

Playing the Iowa when there are Russian CLs with IFHE.  You either get citadeled when you go broadside, or get mini-citadeled every 6 seconds from any angle when you try to tank.

All ships going to one side on a circular layout 4 cap domination map, such as Two Brothers.

Trying to hold all points in a 3 cap domination map.

Battleships going A from the start on Okinawa and cutting themselves off from supporting B and C.

Sailing down the straight on "Two Brothers."

There are points, typically late in a match where it makes sense but in the early stages it is the fast track to losing ships for nothing gained.

A division of BBs following the red line away from the main areas of contact to capture a cap point or hunt a carrier thus taking themselves completely out of any effective value to the team.

on the lower tiers its  team mates shooting there guns right at the start way before any contact, a sure sign your on a losing team.

Edited by Leskip

Going to A on Neighbors and swinging as far to the West as possible of it, essentially trapping your fleet.  All the while getting their your cruisers expose their broadsides taking many citadels from enemy battleships safely tucked into islands at B and C.

All ships going to one side on a circular layout 4 cap domination map, such as Two Brothers.

Trying to hold all points in a 3 cap domination map.

This happens WAY too much to me. I usually just turn the opposite way and try to contest the other cap until the team gets back around the islands. Sure I'm going to die but the longer I hold the cap the more time me team has to get their butts back over there. There's no sense in just driving in circles and swapping caps. Sure it's not always the best thing to do and sometimes you will get jumped but it's a heck of a lot better than driving in circles. 

Don't get aggressive too early and get sunk. I've learned that in a cruiser or BB it's best to let the battle unfold first to see where you can do the most damage and contribute to the team effort. Look at the mini map, don't go alone and have a plan. One exception of going alone is the good DD player who can get themselves out of a jam with smoke or speed boost. Of course I still play stupid at times but at least now I realize my stupidity.

Edited by dust340man

Team says "AB" and one DD replies "I'll scout C". Especially if the other team already has 1 more DD than you do. YOLO only heard from when sunk. Even better if it's a light cruiser instead of a DD. 2 DDs vs. 1should always win. 

On Straight, trying to switch sides in Domination mode. Sometimes this tactic works in Standard battle.  The ships have to be fast enough. But in Domination you need to take A and C. Period. 

On Shards especially but most maps in general, trying to take A and C caps while ignoring B in the center. A disaster on Neighbors too. This is so bad that I wish I had function keys to say "must hold B" and "need B NOW". On virtually every 3 cap map except Shards, controlling B means controlling the map. 

Slow battleships going to one end of the map and congregating behind an island or three so that they can't see the enemy let alone shoot. South of A on Neighbors is a classic, as is A in general on Fault Line. Someone already mentioned A on Okinawa. D on Northern Lights. 

The entire fleet racing toward an end cap (A or C) after a DD has taken it and determined there aren't any enemy ships there. 

And my current favorite:  laying smoke to hide your team and staying in the smoke yourself. if there's a spotter in front of you it's fine, but how many times does a DD smoke up the entire fleet so that NO ONE can see the enemy?  A corollary is laying the smoke, staying out front, and opening fire on the enemy only to get focus fired and sunk immediately thereby leaving the team blind. If you are spotting, stay undetected. 

ETA:  the entire fleet going one way on Two Brothers is a great tactic if and only if (1) they really stay together, and (2) they keep pushing forward around the map. Few things are more frustrating on that map than fighting hard to take A or D, then seeing little or no opposition ahead while a chunk of your teammates stay on the spawn side of said cap despite your screams to "push through to ___".

Edited by Landing_Skipper

Battleships that run to an outer edge of the map.  Even worse, battleships that run to an outer edge of the map when there is a large island preventing them from shooting into the map.  "I'm going to flank them", they say.  News flash...you will emerge from your flanking attempt in 10 minutes and will have contributed nothing for half the game.  Don't be surprised if most of your team is resting on the bottom.

Sailing down the straight on "Two Brothers."

All going ONE direction on Two Brothers. (Only works some times if you PUSH hard and FAST!) Almost never works. Typically you all go one way and meet some resistance, delaying your push to the enemy base; meanwhile half the enemy fleet moves unchallenged in the other direction  to either secure your base, or flank your team an annihilate you!

Battleships that run to an outer edge of the map.  Even worse, battleships that run to an outer edge of the map when there is a large island preventing them from shooting into the map.  "I'm going to flank them", they say.  News flash...you will emerge from your flanking attempt in 10 minutes and will have contributed nothing for half the game.  Don't be surprised if most of your team is resting on the bottom.

Fault Line Cap C on the Eastern edge of the map!

on the lower tiers its  team mates shooting there guns right at the start way before any contact, a sure sign your on a losing team.

I saw a guy "shelling" the airfield on Neighbors. Did he think the planes were real? Don't know...

300 point lead, less than 2 minutes remaining in match, 2 enemy ships to 1 green ship. "RUN! JUST STAY ALIVE". 

Pulls a Notser, runs into the biggest island on the map. OR. Attacks and dies. 

Crossing the T.

TOTALLY disagree.  This must be the thought of BB drivers who are afraid to commit to close-in battle or getting their paint scratched, or worse, try it with only a smidgen of red left on their damage indicator- which thoroughly sucks for the team.

Crossing the T even in this game is viable and many times makes the difference between winning or loosing the fight.  The victim can only fire the forward guns (or rear if you're lucky enough to cross the T astern) while ALL your mains plus secondaries on that side are raking him.  You can always argue that "some" of the shells aren't hitting or that "some" are deflecting, but that really doesn't matter. You will damage him with every hit and you'll hit him a lot more than he'll hit you. Even if you take a citadel hit in the process, you have an advantage.  I've proven it time and time again.  You may take most of what he throws at you, but that's a fraction of all his fire power; and you will NOT take more than what you dish out (unless you're a bad aim or have horrible dispersion, but those are quirks you can improve on).  You will hit him twice as hard and take him down much faster.  While the advantage isn't really as apparent when crossing the T of a Dunkerque, if that T is crossed astern of him, or at close range, BBs will have an advantage, some significant.  In co-op games where enemy ships come at you in a line, I've lined up and crossed the T with two or three BBs and we took the enemy ships down in 30 seconds (done this a few times).  It works just as well in Random battles - even better.   Occasionally there may be a lucky shot that puts you at disadvantage or even takes your ship out entirely ... it's not a perfect tactic (nothing is); but even nose to nose, someone will eventually, if not both, become broadside to the other.  If the nose-to-nose part of the fight didn't go so well for you, it will be more dangerous at that point no matter which position you're in; and you'll be fully committed by that point in the battle. 

Whether in co-op, random, or any battle, my motto is if you're gonna get in close, cross the T and make ALL your firepower count while limiting the enemy's.

Granted though, you kind of have a tiger by the tail if you try this against a BB with torpedoes; but I've done that more than once as well and won the fight (lost a few of those as well - what an eye opener that was).

TOTALLY disagree.  This must be the thought of BB drivers who are afraid to commit to close-in battle or getting their paint scratched, or worse, try it with only a smidgen of red left on their damage indicator- which thoroughly sucks for the team.

If you have a big ship advantage crossing the T might work due to volume of fire (especially firing HE). But game mechanics dictate that at least half your shots fired will miss (RNG) or bounce vs a bow-on target so your extra guns may not get you much but at the same time you have exposed your broadside to citadels making the fewer shots from the bow-on ship hit more and count more. IRL the crossed line of ships behind the lead ship cannot fire any guns because they might hit the ship ahead AND they can't see the target through the ship ahead. That second limitation is removed by game spotting mechanics.

Crossing the T even in this game is viable and many times makes the difference between winning or loosing the fight.  The victim can only fire the forward guns (or rear if you're lucky enough to cross the T astern) while ALL your mains plus secondaries on that side are raking him.  You can always argue that "some" of the shells aren't hitting or that "some" are deflecting, but that really doesn't matter. You will damage him with every hit and you'll hit him a lot more than he'll hit you. Even if you take a citadel hit in the process, you have an advantage.  I've proven it time and time again.  You may take most of what he throws at you, but that's a fraction of all his fire power; and you will NOT take more than what you dish out (unless you're a bad aim or have horrible dispersion, but those are quirks you can improve on).  You will hit him twice as hard and take him down much faster.  While the advantage isn't really as apparent when crossing the T of a Dunkerque, if that T is crossed astern of him, or at close range, BBs will have an advantage, some significant.  In co-op games where enemy ships come at you in a line, I've lined up and crossed the T with two or three BBs and we took the enemy ships down in 30 seconds (done this a few times).  It works just as well in Random battles - even better.   Occasionally there may be a lucky shot that puts you at disadvantage or even takes your ship out entirely ... it's not a perfect tactic (nothing is); but even nose to nose, someone will eventually, if not both, become broadside to the other.  If the nose-to-nose part of the fight didn't go so well for you, it will be more dangerous at that point no matter which position you're in; and you'll be fully committed by that point in the battle. 

Whether in co-op, random, or any battle, my motto is if you're gonna get in close, cross the T and make ALL your firepower count while limiting the enemy's.

Granted though, you kind of have a tiger by the tail if you try this against a BB with torpedoes; but I've done that more than once as well and won the fight (lost a few of those as well - what an eye opener that was).

Sure, you're firing all your guns, but since the dispersion in game tends to spread shells out horizontally, I can guarantee that you'll be hitting about as much shells as the person you're crossing. Not to mention, they still have around 50% of their firepower, all of which has a good chance to citadel. While you 100% firepower has a pretty small chance of citadeling because the angle they're at.

Take two ships with four turrets, three guns each. Citadel damage is 7,500 a shot, and hp is 75,000. One of them is crossing the T of the other. The person crossing can fire 12 shells, sure, but they all do 0 or 750 hp in damage (bounce, or overpen). The guy being crossed can fire six shells, doing 2,500 or 7,500 each.

Maybe I'm bad at math, but I believe 75,000/(2,500*6) < 75,000/(750*12).

Can crossing the T work? Yes. But from my own, and some other's experience, it won't work most of the time.

Hmmm...crossing the T sure worked well for Horatio Hornblower.