Landing_Skipper

Smoke Generator Modification 1

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

34 posts in this topic

Anyone installed this yet?  What ship(s) would it be best on?

"Increases the Action Time of the Smoke Generator consumable, but reduces the smoke screen duration." Applies to Tier 6-10 DDs and cruisers.

Oh yeah?  How much?  The Speed Boost special mod was really clear:  50% increase to duration.  It's fantastic for slower IJN DDs, especially Akizuki.  You can pretend you're a Kiev for 3 minutes!

I don't "get" this one.  Might be good for a British cruiser if you're in the habit of panic smoking at full speed... but if you play British cruisers you better break yourself of that habit.  Besides, who wants their smoke to last for less time?  I'd love something that made my smoke smaller but longer duration for VMF DDs - really offensive smoke, eh?

It would allow a USN DD to lay a really long smoke screen.  If your BB buddy is following you, he could keep moving and stay in the cloud more easily.  Less risk of getting torped too.

Any ideas on which ships and how to use this best greatly appreciated.

Edited by Landing_Skipper

Oh yeah?  How much?

It's +30% "action time", -12% "smoke screen duration", and goes in the second slot.  I own it but have no ships that I care to install it on.

Edited by Mesrith

Perth?

I second this notion. The cool down is still a long wait though. 

Dont sell it. They could buff it in a future patch.

Would have to be a VERY big buff to make it worth it.

Perth adds 27 seconds of smoke, costs 1.2 seconds on the last puff.  and no on other British cursers gain 2 seconds of smoke, lose 12% on the last puff. 

Perth?

It's +30% "action time", -12% "smoke screen duration", and goes in the second slot.  I own it but have no ships that I care to install it on.

+30% "action time" would be one heck of a long smoke cloud with a USN DD, but not good in exchange for a 12% reduction in duration. Mesrith, thank you very much for exact numbers. 

Perth adds 27 seconds of smoke, costs 1.2 seconds on the last puff.  and no on other British cursers gain 2 seconds of smoke, lose 12% on the last puff. 

So if I had a Perth, this might be useful.

With a USN DD going full speed, you could lay one heck of a long smoke wall. The cost of a 12% reduction in duration is just too high though IMHO. Kutuzov, Belfast or Edinburgh?  Forget about it!

I got my first engine boost mod in a Super Container and was very happy. I'd be, well, not happy if this mod showed up in a Super Container. 

Maybe they'll give all ships an extra mod slot for mounting these super upgrades in the future.

lol  The thrill of getting a super container didn't last long when I saw what it contained. A spotting aircraft mod(junk) that I'd need to give up my aiming mod to use. 

So, it's a waste for the moment.  Wow. Got it as a 'reward' for making it to rank 8...  sigh.

i put it on my Belfast, give an extra puff, so i don't have to be stationary to start smoke, and with increased smoke radius skill i can almost stop within the smoke from 25 kts. 

With a USN DD going full speed, you could lay one heck of a long smoke wall. The cost of a 12% reduction in duration is just too high though IMHO. Kutuzov, Belfast or Edinburgh?  Forget about it!

I got my first engine boost mod in a Super Container and was very happy. I'd be, well, not happy if this mod showed up in a Super Container. 

Just so you know 12% of a 60 seconds duration look like 7.2 seconds loss. The penalty is smaller when the duration is smaller also. So you have to ask yourself, is taking a 7.2 second or so hit to your smoke duration worth for the 30% boost to the generation activation duration?

It'll be a strong tool when combined with SSE in competitive play. Gearings will like it.

Just so you know 12% of a 60 seconds duration look like 7.2 seconds loss. The penalty is smaller when the duration is smaller also. So you have to ask yourself, is taking a 7.2 second or so hit to your smoke duration worth for the 30% boost to the generation activation duration?

60 seconds down to 52.8 seconds might mean 1 less salvo out of smoke for a CA or BB, 2 salvos for a DD. Not good. 

Your second point is very good though. If you have crappy Russian smoke, being able to lay a longer trail to hide teammates might be very viable. It's kind of like taking the rudder shift mod on the Sims - yes, it reduces your really short rudder shift but only by a tiny amount. 

Would it be worth it to run this one the Belfast for an extra puff to hide in? For that slot, the AA doesn't feel all that special and the guns don't really need the buffs.

I have it installed on my Perth, and it is excellent there.  I don't think I would use it on my Belfast.

I run it on my Farragut.  Its something like 30 seconds of smoke.  I usually get up to speed, hit boost, and lay a reaaallly lonnnng wall for a few ungrateful bb's while keeping stuff on the other side spotted.   Most of my own bb's just sail through it.  Duration is still like 1:40 on it.  3 volleys worth for my bb's should help them do plenty of damage even though i see nothing out of it :/   The wall almost stretches a whole cap circle in length. 

If i was serious with that boat i probably wouldn't have mounted it.  I kept farragut around as something different to play with, so i have alot of tier 1-3 skills on my high point captain rather than t4 skills.  The smoke makes it an interesting boat to play to help out a team when i am feeling gracious.  

I run it on my Farragut

If i was serious with that boat i probably wouldn't have mounted it.

You could argue that keeping ships like Farragut around for more competitive modes like Ranked would be a good argument for SM1.

german dds like this mod if you are going slow enough to get all the extra smoke clouds out were you are then the time you have in smoke is longer then the lose of time for each cloud.

You could argue that keeping ships like Farragut around for more competitive modes like Ranked would be a good argument for SM1.

Perhaps, but I don't play ranked.  I guess mostly because of the requirement that I must play high tier to do so, but also because it seems to introduce more, not less, stress in one's life.  :)  

I stuck mine on Perth and didn't look back.

Perhaps, but I don't play ranked.  I guess mostly because of the requirement that I must play high tier to do so, but also because it seems to introduce more, not less, stress in one's life.  :)  

That's why I went with "like Ranked".  CW should eventually come, and maybe they'll suddenly resurrect Team Battles.  And of course if we can ever have skirmishes with properly working vanilla Training Rooms.

I stuck mine on Perth and didn't look back.

Yeah, well not everyone has the perfect ship for this mod so yeah...

I jelly.