You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Horama

Why the drop in WR?

20 comments in this topic

[ML-S]
Members
362 posts
6,220 battles

Recently, I have made large strides in the areas of personal game play improvement (dealing more damage, high K/D, placing top 3 more often than not, etc.) and yet my win rate has done nothing but plummet.  In about the last 30 games, I have won 10.  a quick glance at my Warships Today WR chart shows a constant downward trend with a huge dip in mid-January from which I never really recovered.  This stands in contrast to all three other charts increasing.  Is anyone else having the same issues?  Is there a way I can play better to win more?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

edit: fixed a spelling error... oops

Edited by Horama

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,538 posts
12,810 battles

Target selection is probably the big deal.  You're likely farming damage on battleships, but not impacting the game objectives (capping) very much at all.

[WTFS]
Members
9,331 posts
13,756 battles

Damage and KDR has less to do with things than you think, in fact, fixating on them can, and will, cause you to do worse. For instance, I scored a 1600+ base xp and finished third on my team a couple days ago, and only dealt 15k damage, I did sink 3 ships, but only one of them was more than 2k damage dealt from me. Spotting, spotting damage, captures and defends matter a LOT.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,816 posts
6,263 battles

Randoms are streaky.  As long as your other performance measures aren't falling off, I wouldn't worry too much about your win rate taking a small nose dive.  Take care that it doesn't affect the way you go about trying to win games and you should be back to usual soon.

Next thing you know it'll be a streak of 30 games with 10 or less losses.

[CHIGR]
[CHIGR]
Members
3,641 posts
18,823 battles

I'll admit I have the same issue... I've played enough now that I can do the damage, but it's been really hard for me to bring the winrate up.

When I first started playing, the general sentiment seemed to be that if you could do the damage and get the kills, you would eventually get more wins than losses, but I really feel like that isn't the case.

There's a spectrum between thinking about the game tactically and strategically: doing the damage and getting the kills is a function of tactics and winning the game is a function of strategy. Unfortunately I feel like strategy is a lot harder to teach and learn, and that's annoying.

• Cool 2

[NMKJT]
Members
4,272 posts
9,133 battles

To get the damage you might be playing more passively. Also once the holidays stopped a lot of those players got more scarce, so you might still be playing as if you had to hold back with them to not be focused too much.

Beta Testers
425 posts
7,912 battles

Happens to us all.  Was doing ok with WR, yesterday that changed.  Had good rounds, but the team's just couldn't do it. 

Members
5,202 posts

There's a spectrum between thinking about the game tactically and strategically: doing the damage and getting the kills is a function of tactics and winning the game is a function of strategy. Unfortunately I feel like strategy is a lot harder to teach and learn, and that's annoying.

Nailed it.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
11,692 battles

Recently, I have made large strides in the areas of personal game play improvement (dealing more damage, high K/D, placing top 3 more often than not, etc.) and yet my win rate has done nothing but plummet.  In about the last 30 games, I have won 10.  a quick glance at my Warships Today WR chart shows a constant downward trend with a huge dip in mid-January from which I never really recovered.  This stands in contrast to all three other charts increasing.  Is anyone else having the same issues?  Is there a way I can play better to win more?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

This week is mid week torpedo special. Lots of DDs, matches are extremely volatile.

[WTFS]
Members
9,331 posts
13,756 battles

Got it right there.

[ML-S]
Members
362 posts
6,220 battles

Thank you all for your advice!  I will take all of it to heart going forward.  Hopefully, with time, I will learn the strategy element as well as the tactical element.

[CAFE]
Members
394 posts
11,074 battles

While winning less then what you are used to in a 30 game stretch can be disheartening, it is a very small sample size so I wouldn't read too much into it. With that said, damage isn't the king when it comes to winning. Sure it can help, but at other times it can hurt your team as you aren't focusing the proper targets.

[ASHIP]
Members
5,454 posts
12,925 battles

I'll admit I have the same issue... I've played enough now that I can do the damage, but it's been really hard for me to bring the winrate up.

When I first started playing, the general sentiment seemed to be that if you could do the damage and get the kills, you would eventually get more wins than losses, but I really feel like that isn't the case.

pretty much this.

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
994 posts
12,711 battles

Most of your recent gains in WTR comes from BBs where as your DD and CA performance hovers around your account averaged. This means your WTR increase is mostly coming from farmng useless damage in BBs, which is simple enough to do if you manage to simply surivive long enough to end game. You likely aren't doing enough early game where damage dealt counts more toward your ability to win. 

TL,DR you've figured out how to survive in a BB longer, now you need to figure out how to survive in a BB while dealing damage early in the game. 

Edited by NCC81701

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles

Nailed it.

Yes.  I see many games lost...or won...due to poor strategy from an otherwise tactically competent team.  It's usually pretty easy to describe the operational aspects required for tactical performance.  But the ability to comprehend the bigger picture in terms of what needs to be done to WIN the game...that is whole different aspect of the game.  And, I might add, an aspect that makes it appealing to me.

[RRC]
Members
293 posts
4,761 battles

Effective damage is better than taking pointless damage off an opponent that does nothing to win the game.

Example: Killing a low-HP DD that has only 2k HP left is a much better strategy than continuing to shell a solo BB that is riding the border and taking 40k damage off him. In battles, certain targets become higher value than others. Focus on trying to identify which targets are the highest priority. For the most part, it will be the DDs and the team that eliminates all the enemy DDs first usually wins.

Another example is positioning yourself to have the maximum impact on the game. Center of the map, around the objectives, close to the majority of the enemy team usually.  

Members
3,229 posts
7,820 battles

Win rate can fluctuate wildly over the course of 20, 30 or even 50 games.  I've got a 65% win rate overall and there was a period in January where I was lucky to pull 50%.  It happens.  Just keep playing well and the wins will come.

Members
687 posts
9,588 battles

Yeah i see your dip in win rate, and I also see your recent ship selection.

Anything in the 4-6 tier is going to put you behind the 8-ball. Thank Wargaming and their new tier system for screwing this up for us.

Your tier 9 is.... Well every tier 9 is trash outside a destroyer.

In the end, your recent dip is simply because of your ships. You are not the asset to your team that you need to be to get the wins. The only good ship i see that you've played in the past week, is the Atago. You had a good game with 105k damage and 2 kills, but it was only one game which just so happen to be a loss ( ya we cant all have 100% win rates)

I'm guessing you are grinding new ship lines. A dip in win rate is just a side effect of that.

[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,044 posts

Check my stats for the last couple of games.  I did horrible damage, some kills.  and I had a 80% winrate with 800 WTR.  Called getting carried. LOL

Beta Testers
82 posts
6,538 battles

This happens from time to time, I just try not to pay attention to it unless it keeps up for a week or two. Earlier in the week mine winrate was pretty low (30-40 percent) now they don't look to bad.