You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
netcup

Why even play ranked anymore?

30 comments in this topic

[JADED]
Members
91 posts

As we already know tier 7 ranked will be dominated by Premium ships, there are only a very few somewhat viable tech tree ships. And if this would not be enough .... let me quote a user from the EU forums:

Before new ''inventory'' gimmick I check Ranked awards and there was - surprise!!!

This Season 6 (*to Rank 1) will give us:

*1 000 000 credits (instead of 11 000 000 Season 5) /10 000 000 nerf

*2750 doubloons (instead of 3500 Season 5) / 750 nerf

*490 flags ((instead of 2095 Season 5) / 1605 nerf

*105 camos (instead of 210 Season 5) / 105 nerf

* ''bonus'' 7 New Upgrades from Rank 9 - 2 Meh 

Happy New Ranked! :teethhappy: 

So my serious question is, why even bother with the stress and frustration that ranked is?

Members
1,726 posts
15,031 battles

Flint? Black? Still plenty of prizes?

They pretty much gutted the prize pool. If I didn't have a Black coming up, I definitely wouldn't bother with the hassle.

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

They pretty much gutted the prize pool. If I didn't have a Black coming up, I definitely wouldn't bother with the hassle.

Probably because they gave out a lot of prizes in the past.

It's not like you don't make progress on any tech tree ships if you're grinding them, or on captains and the like. You still get XP and credits (more than you would in Randoms) in addition to the prizes. 

Edited by SergeantHop
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester
444 posts
2,983 battles

If you were playing Ranked to grind credits, I think you were missing the point.

As far as I'm concerned, Ranked is about Flint, Black, and bragging rights, in that order. And, you know, the fun of a more competitive play-style than random battles with the convenience of quick, automated matchmaking.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,973 posts
13,731 battles

If I'm lucky, I'll be able to stay above the level of potatoes and have some enjoyable games. Anything beyond that is a nice bonus.

[SALVO]
Members
16,479 posts
10,211 battles

It's not like you don't make progress on any tech tree ships if you're grinding them, or on captains and the like. You still get XP and credits (more than you would in Randoms) in addition to the prizes. 

So this is my first season please explain this to me

Ranked give you better rewards in money and xp than random. Teams are smaller so your own performance is more meaningful

There is supposed to be some resemblance of teamplay.

You get extra rewards for achieving rank.

You dont get to be bottom tier

So my question is... 

Why even play random anymore?

Note- Im just entering full tier 7 grind and dont div much. I will be grinding in ranked for sure

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

I'm playing Mahan over Sims more than likely. Why?

It's an all around better ship.

Why play Ranked?

Why not?

Edited by slak__

Members
5,450 posts
21,049 battles

In the pursuit of great treasure you sometimes sail through dead seas.

The rewards for Season 6 aren't that great but to reach my goals I must endear another season. 

The Sinksalot Fleet raises the Black Flag of Ranked, no mercy asked for no mercy given. 

:izmena:

[JADED]
Members
91 posts

Am I missing something? You've never played ranked. :P

Yes you do, i'm an EU refugee with more than 3200 played battles over there and owner of the JRII. Ranked was always more about stocking up flags and camos for new ships grind. Also the credits and doubloons you made there helped quite a bit. But it seems they cut down the rewards by what, 85% across the board?

And this is exactly the point, i made NA my new home region and haven't played ranked here yet and with these nerfes to the rewards and the tier 7 restriction, there is no incentive anymore to play ranked at all. And let's be honest, the JR is worth nothing, at least as long as players can brute force to rank 1. Check the previous rank seasons on ShipComrade and be baffled how players with even below 50% WR have reached rank 1. Bragging rights? LOL ;)

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

Honestly, what else is there to do?!

Many players have already ground out most of the tech trees and accomplished all goals. Right now I'm just playing out of pure habit, I look forward to having a goal to accomplish.

Members
1,022 posts
13,341 battles

LOL i guess he wants to just track the rewards of all the players who play it !

thanks now i know i got a metric crap ton of rewards  for season 5 not to mention the other 3 seasons i played, so if you have time do the math on seasons 2,3,4   that would be great.  then i will know the exact amount of swag i got over someone who didn't show up !

Members
1,436 posts
9,473 battles

"As we already know tier 7 ranked will be dominated by Premium ships" and you're asking why they lowered the prizes ?

Members
3,010 posts
10,193 battles

I checked on that as well. Went to ShipComrade's site and looked over the last 5 Seasons, dropped the filter down to 5 battles and nothing.

With regards to his premise, I will be playing plenty of Shchors this Season I think, just out of spite. I did the same with the New Mexico when it was the 2 lines only (IJN /USN) and the majority of the forum goers were saying the New Mex was "trash", "too slow", "can't snipe", which translates to "it's not the Fuso". lol About the first time I broke 100k in it, a very long time ago, it became "well that's only 1 game" etc.. Then came the 150k mark and again "that's only 1 time". Then the 175k mark, the same people started quieting down. About the 200k I got 1 person try to claim I was a seal clubber in a division at the time (which he didn't even view the replay nor screenshots as I wasn't and it was a 5,6,7 iirc) and people started to recognize that no matter the ship, if people get the hang of it, feel comfortable in it and play it to its strengths, they can not only do quite well in it, but far exceed those "server stats" that the herd tends to use as gospel.

I will also be using a mix of the Sims (it's fun and I'm better in it than my Bly), Scharn (brawling), Nagato (range), Fiji (definitely, simply for the fun factor), Belfast is a maybe (frankly, I'm neither good nor comfortable in the ship yet), and Bly is a "maybe" as well, but don't know why I would considering I have my Sims. Though looking at my Sims stats vrs my Mahan's, I could easily do the same in the Mahan because atm, I have my 18pt Benson Captain in the Sims. The same Captain was moved from the Mahan as I "leveled" the ship. That does affect the damage/win ratio etc.

But, I've had this debate in game before. People are freaking out over premiums, again because of Tier 7 and using the almighty "stats page" as their bible. Well, if that is their personal benchmark, let it be so. Me, I try to strive for a bit higher and something more challenging. Like, out performing myself...

Members
1,022 posts
13,341 battles

Yes you do, i'm an EU refugee with more than 3200 played battles over there and owner of the JRII. Ranked was always more about stocking up flags and camos for new ships grind. Also the credits and doubloons you made there helped quite a bit. But it seems they cut down the rewards by what, 85% across the board?

And this is exactly the point, i made NA my new home region and haven't played ranked here yet and with these nerfes to the rewards and the tier 7 restriction, there is no incentive anymore to play ranked at all. And let's be honest, the JR is worth nothing, at least as long as players can brute force to rank 1. Check the previous rank seasons on ShipComrade and be baffled how players with even below 50% WR have reached rank 1. Bragging rights? LOL ;)

if your gonna play anyway that is more GOLD, flags and CAMOs  than you will get by playing randoms or coop.... not to mention a FREE crate for EVERY  t5 rank 1 game in super league..... talk about rewards i bet guys will be farming 20 crates a night.

and no you cant brute force your way to RANK 1      last season 7 players were under  50%  out of 500    and those guys had 600-900 games at 48-49%

im still waiting for all the other 45% players to get there........ oh wait that would take 10000+  games  not doable...

Beta Testers
356 posts
26,958 battles

I play it for the Black. I started rank play to try it out. When I hit rank 1 in the 2nd season the credit reward I used to get my 1st t10. Then I kept playing just to see if I can keep hitting rank 1. Because of that I got the flint and if I get rank 1 gain this season I will get the black. 

I did rank play for the competition and try it out the smaller team play. The rewards were a bonus. I'll keep playing rank just so I can get free ships if WG keeps offering.  Rank also serves as  practice for the Supremacy League. 

[VETS]
Members
147 posts
12,216 battles

I was not very good in the last ranked season at T6, and got frustrated and left early.  I'm going to try again, starting with six stars.

I'm already practicing, playing only my T7 ships.

BB Gneisenau + Scharnhorst

CA Yorck + Indianapolis (gift from Santa) + ARP + Southern Dragon

DD Blyskawica + Mahan.

So, at every level, I for one have a good tech tree ship, making the OP sound like kind of a whiner, I think, even if I do end up only playing my T7 favorites - Scharnhorst and Blyskawica.  But, anyways, I'll give it another shot and hopefully get to be a better WoWS player for it.

Members
1,494 posts
12,756 battles

I don't know, maybe I like the smaller teams with a higher chance of playing with, and against, players who are more focused on winning the battle.