You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AJTP89

Bogatyr Gun Upgrade

16 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,240 posts
4,523 battles

So, starting up the Soviet cruiser tree (slowly). at the Bogatyr, and noticed that the Gun upgrade doesn't seem to be much of an upgrade. Caliber is smaller, reload goes UP, and damage goes down. Yet the artillery rating goes UP? I have no plans to keep the ship, I have the St. Louis to go clubbing in, but how is this an upgrade in guns? I'm confused. Everything I care about gets worse, with no benefits, so what's the point? Can someone explain please, because right now I'm just going to skip the guns, unless I'm missing something here.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,732 posts
26,569 battles

The 130s have better velocity and arc, thus making it easier to hit targets with them. Fire chance goes up. BFT gives them the same reload as the 152s and AFT makes them go out to almost 14 km. Bogatyrs running the stock 152s are food.

You say you keep St Louis around 'to go clubbing in', but a properly outfitted 130mm Bogatyr will out turn and outrange a St Louis, keeping the latter at arms length, burning it down without ever getting in range of the St Louis' guns.

[MUDDX]
Banned
8,144 posts
25,415 battles

you can always swap them out any time you feel the need to if you are not happy about the change also of course you have the option to not use the ships at all

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,240 posts
4,523 battles

Ah, OK. Improves stats I can't see until I mount the upgrade, makes sense. Long term the 130s with a full captain seem the way to go. I may mount them now, or may just skip it. Not doing to bad right now, had a 50K damage game last night, with a couple of cits on angled brit CLs with HE (I just find that hilarious)

I get what you're saying about the bogatyr vs St. Louis, but the bogatyr isn't going to shrug off most BB caliber hits while burning them to the waterline. Besides, one T3 is enough, I lose my mind after one demonstration of what passes for teamwork and understanding game mechanics at that tier. The number of 50/60K damage games I've put up, only to see the rest of the team implode for a loss...

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,732 posts
26,569 battles

but the bogatyr isn't going to shrug off most BB caliber hits while burning them to the waterline.

It doesn't need to shrug off BB caliber hits when it's never hit by BB caliber shells because it can burn them down from beyond their range. St Louis is undeniably tankier than Bogatyr, but a properly outfitted Bogatyr outranges every battleship in tier. It's only against tier 4 ships that it starts to struggle, but even those will struggle to hit such a wiggly target at range.

There is nothing wrong with enjoying St Louis and keeping it. If that is what you prefer, then more power to you. Bogatyr is undeniably the better ship though.

[TSG4R]
[TSG4R]
Members
972 posts
5,062 battles

The Gun upgraded 130mm guns can be improved

The 130s have better velocity and arc, thus making it easier to hit targets with them. Fire chance goes up. BFT gives them the same reload as the 152s and AFT makes them go out to almost 14 km. Bogatyrs running the stock 152s are food.

You say you keep St Louis around 'to go clubbing in', but a properly outfitted 130mm Bogatyr will out turn and outrange a St Louis, keeping the latter at arms length, burning it down without ever getting in range of the St Louis' guns.

Yep.  Before 6.0 when BFT was a one-point skill, I think choosing the 130mm guns was a no-brainer.  Now, it's a little more debatable, especially since at T3 many people won't play the ship long enough to get a 10-point captain and have both BFT and AFT.

But if you feel like keeping the ship and working up a dedicated captain, it's an amazing seal clubber.  Flat-arc guns with 13.5km range at T3 is pretty sick -- With the current matchmaking, you should see about 50% T2-3 matches, and in these matches you can shoot things at ranges where pretty much no ships other than another Bogatyr can respond.  Even among T4 ships (which is the highest Bog. will ever fight), there are only a few ships that can shoot *accurately* out to 13km+.

Edited by ForgMaxtor

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,209 posts
15,770 battles

It is like the 57mm gun on the KV-1 in WoT. Going to a smaller gun seems counter intuitive but the huge jump in ROF more than makes up for the increased rate of bounces.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,240 posts
4,523 battles

It doesn't need to shrug off BB caliber hits when it's never hit by BB caliber shells because it can burn them down from beyond their range. St Louis is undeniably tankier than Bogatyr, but a properly outfitted Bogatyr outranges every battleship in tier. It's only against tier 4 ships that it starts to struggle, but even those will struggle to hit such a wiggly target at range.

There is nothing wrong with enjoying St Louis and keeping it. If that is what you prefer, then more power to you. Bogatyr is undeniably the better ship though.

Bogatyr is undeniably better with a high ranked captain. St. Louis is probably better stock. Eh, I like the St. Louis. If I end up loving the Bogatyr, may keep it. St. Louis is more beginner friendly is probably the best way to put it. It took a while to unlearn the bad habits it taught me on the Phoenix. Another reason to keep the bogatyr - that's where the Soviet BBs will start off. I plan playing those, I'm sure they'll be perfectly balanced:teethhappy:

I do hear you on outranging BBs. It was so irritating to be hit by cruisers in the WY that I couldn't hit back.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,732 posts
26,569 battles

Do yourself a favor and try a Bogatyr with 130s and a 10 pt captain with BFT (or DE) and AFT. If after that you don't like it enough to keep, then at least you can say you've tried. :)

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,240 posts
4,523 battles

Do yourself a favor and try a Bogatyr with 130s and a 10 pt captain with BFT (or DE) and AFT. If after that you don't like it enough to keep, then at least you can say you've tried. :)

Don't have a Soviet 10pointer. I am going to try the 130s. I'll take your word that's it's good with AFT and BFT. Right now, I just want the 3rd point so EM can keep the guns on track!

We'll see, low tier ships are cheap, and I have a few port slots.

[-K--]
Members
663 posts
7,529 battles

I may or may not use the Bogatyr for evil things. When I bought  the Kutuzov...I threw the captain from my Bogatyr on there. Now that it has AFT and IFHE...it's evil with the 130's. That's why I don't even consider buying the Oleg. Every now and then I take the Bogatyr out for stress relief. 13.6km range and starts fires with ease. At that tier...not much can hit you (accurately).

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
2,373 battles

The already mentioned advantages offered by the 130's are why I wish the Oleg was a copy of the B-hull Booger.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,182 posts
30,938 battles

Bogatyr is only a truly OP Tier III ship with a decent captain and the 130mm gun upgrade.  130mm upgrade, BFT+AFT?  Great ship.  Give her DE on top of those?  Bogatyr becomes Death Incarnate to anything at the tier.  You outrange many things, you even give BB guns a run for their money because you pelt them accurately at range while they struggle to hit you.  Tier III BB gunnery is awful and they're not fast.  St Louis?  Can't come to grips with a well built and properly played 130mm Bogatyr.  No way.  DDs are food for her also.  Those fast firing 130mm guns with their arcs, velocities, and the sheer amount of guns are death to DDs.  Clemson?  LOL, no problem!  FFS, 130mm Bog spamming HE can citadel the s--t out of those poor, lower tier RN CLs!

But there always one catch, the real gate that truly keeps Bogatyr from outright breaking Tier III matches.  The "catch" is that it is expensive to get her built right in terms of traits.  Pre-0.6.0, getting BFT was easy since it was T1, but AFT was Tier 4.  For a new RU Cruiser player, they typically will not have a good points captain to throw in there.  Having AFT in the old system at Tier III is a lot to ask for when the RU Cruiser line is their first RU line, period.  Post-0.6.0 it is even harder now for the same kind of player.  BFT is now a more expensive skill, AFT still pricey as always.  It is worse now for a new Russian Ship player to get Bogatyr to "OP Levels."  By the time you have AFT+BFT you should be past Bogatyr.

The reason my stats with Bogatyr are pretty decent was because I skipped her on my initial grind up the line and came back to her much, MUCH later.  I had on her in Pre-0.6.0 a captain with BFT+AFT+DE.  It was amazing!  But I cheated and used a high pts captain, something that a newer Russian Ship player will not have.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway