You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ThisGuySlaps

Perth appreciation thread.

379 comments in this topic

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,537 posts
12,810 battles

More Perth action for you Santa.  Colorado derped into my single-shot torpedoes while I was capping.

Edited by crzyhawk
  • Cool 1

Members
1,684 posts
19,059 battles

But RN AP is entirely capable of handling angled targets.

That's only half the story. The other half is, in the time it takes you to do enough damage to an angled ship, they have deleted you three times over. 

How effective do you think a minotaur is against a bow-on Izumo or Yamato? It might take them an hour. By then you've been triple-cited. 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,537 posts
12,810 battles

Shanked a Fiji sitting in his smoke cloud.  Nom nom nom tastes like vegemite.

Edited by crzyhawk
  • Cool 2

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,264 posts
25,831 battles
On 16/02/2017 at 3:08 AM, crzyhawk said:

Part of it is IFHE.  I think the other part is people have learned how to deal with RN AP.  If you angle them, the damage dries up.  While the RN DOES have superior bounce angles, it's not really enough.  They can pull huge damage on people who are broadside, but Belfast AP is actually fairly effective in the same scenario.  That leaves torps and heal as the big things Fiji has going for it.  The heal's ok, but it doesn't heal citadel damage, so if you get popped by a BB from the beginning for most of your health, that's where you're stuck.  Torps I always feel are very situational.  If you rely on them too much, you tend to get wrecked.

Highlighted for emphasis.  This is most exemplified at high tier with Minotaur.  Here's a scenario:

Minotaur in smoke being charged by a Des Moines or Moskva.

Minotaur's smoke pretty much tells, "Yes, an RN CL is right here."  So the DM or Moskva go bow on or sharply angle as they close range to pop radar.  Minotaur machineguns them with her fast firing RN CL AP.  But since they are bow on or sharply angled, there's a lot of bounces.  A LOT.  Minotaur is still whittling down HP but not fast enough as DM / Moskva are closing range.  They honestly don't have to go too close to pop radar and Minotaur may not do enough damage before they get in range.  This leaves torpedoes and if they don't hit and sink them, then Minotaur is screwed.  DM / Moskva get in radar range, pop radar, then DM / Moskva and any friends in the area then get to citadel the ever-living-[edited] out of Minotaur.  It doesn't take long for DM / Moskva AP to wreck any RN CL at any angle.  Unless the RN CL's torps do magic, the AP isn't doing anything against a bow on, sharp angled threat, at least not enough in short time.

I remember when Belfast was coming out, people derided her for not having the good RN CL AP.  I didn't care.  Belfast retained HE+AP flexibility.  And IMO, if the opportunity presents itself, Belfast's AP is more than enough in doing good work,  But due to having HE capability, she wasn't going to be so easily negated by something as simple as "Charging Bow On."  Belfast would simply HE you.  And this was all before IFHS became a reality.  This shell flexibility also naturally extends to Perth.  But the cool thing with Perth is she still has torps!

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,537 posts
12,810 battles

yep, exactly.  I still farm good damage, don't get me wrong.  That's mostly because I smoke up where I can get multiple targets.  If one angles me, I switch to one I have better shots on.  In my Belfast, I just ripped a K-berg apart with AP.  I angled him and used my bow guns, he broadsided me and paid for it.  With just the bow turrets, I was able to put him down in 3 salvos.  Is Belfast AP as good as regular RN CL AP?  Nope.  It's adequate, and as Haze points out, it maintains HE flexibility.

Perth is also harder to pick off in smoke, as she keeps moving, although slowly.  I'm looking forward to getting Demo Expert on Perth, I only have a 12 point captain atm and went SI instead at my 3rd rank skill.

The reason why I say Perth is a bad ship is simply because more average players can't handle her.  It takes pretty decent players to unlock her potential.

[DOW]
[DOW]
Members
1,016 posts
34,806 battles

Just my 2 cents, but I love the Perth. I've taken quite a break from her to concentrate on tier 10 and some ranked lately, but I will come back to her very soon. Truly a unique play style in a worthy ship. Once you have synced to her tactics, she is fun and effective.

Members
1,684 posts
19,059 battles

She first came on sale around the end of november/start of December 2016. 

Very little hype and many who bought her were turned off by how hard it is to succeed based on her poor survivability and crippling MM arrangements. 

Members
383 posts
15,052 battles

Have had my damage drop lately, as I am not seeing alot of ships to launch torps at. Still racking up wins though. Pulled ahead of my Ishizuchi at 60%, & just behind my Graf Spee at 62%, Konig albert at 63%, & somehow my Mikasa is leading all my ships at 64%...

Members
1,684 posts
19,059 battles

She's not for sale at the moment is why.

Maybe she'll be available on the first of March to commemorate the transfer of our forces to colonial control.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,537 posts
12,810 battles

Have had my damage drop lately, as I am not seeing alot of ships to launch torps at. Still racking up wins though. Pulled ahead of my Ishizuchi at 60%, & just behind my Graf Spee at 62%, Konig albert at 63%, & somehow my Mikasa is leading all my ships at 64%...

I rarely score torp hits.  I do most of my work with guns.  Hopefully I can afford DE soon so I can up those delicious fires.

Members
1,684 posts
19,059 battles

Had this blinder tonight. Makes the fact I've had horrible teams all day a bit more bearable. Just kidding I still [edited]ing rage because of useless [edited]ing potatoes. 

He2Z9Bj.jpg

Tonight I reached rank 8 and got the smoke consumable reward. It's great on the Perth!

Here is my captain build.

ElIPK4s.jpg

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,537 posts
12,810 battles

Commodore Riley:

And the fine work the RAN was putting in in a t8 matchup this morning.  I had a Tirpitiz charge my smoke, guess he thought I was a Belfast without torps.  I ended up losing the trade but left him with 11k health.

Edited by crzyhawk

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,537 posts
12,810 battles

Hmmm instead of demo expert, I wonder if I should spend my two available points on JOAT like you did to get the smoke timer down

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,537 posts
12,810 battles

I don't like AR.  I'm OCD and I don't like it when my guns change their reload speed, it feels funny.  I know I give up DPM by not taking it, especially as much time as I spend cruising around at 4k health, but...

Members
1,684 posts
19,059 battles

The last two days I tried a new tactic of using AP instead of HE all the time. Against t7 and t6 BB I sometimes get 4k salvos it works great. 

What an idiot I've been using this anaemic HE so often. 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,537 posts
12,810 battles

Yeah if it's broadside, let loose the AP.  You just want to aim a bit higher, I aim for the deck edge.  As long as you land them above the belt, you can see some nice AP damage.

Members
1,684 posts
19,059 battles

I changed my build back to include IFHE.

Tonight it took me 14 salvos to kill a DD that was broadside to me, 5km away. And he lol-penned me through the bow.

This ship sucks.

Edited by SalvoSanta

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,537 posts
12,810 battles

This one hurts Santa.  Deep down inside this hurts.  It's probably my best statistical Perth game, for the loss.  Zero support.

Edited by crzyhawk

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,537 posts
12,810 battles

This one was painful too.  If your team folds, there isn't much you can do.

Edited by crzyhawk

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,264 posts
25,831 battles

The last two days I tried a new tactic of using AP instead of HE all the time. Against t7 and t6 BB I sometimes get 4k salvos it works great. 

What an idiot I've been using this anaemic HE so often. 

Always use AP when you get the chance.  Perth's gun range is so short anyways, as long as you got the proper profile to shoot at, use your AP.  It does the job well enough.  If you ever get Belfast, do the same also as her AP is still more than enough for the job and she can wreck Cruisers with them in the short gun ranges she often finds herself in.

The fact you have AP+HE flexibility is something to take advantage of as even RN CL AP performance drops when targets are smart and they sharply angle / go bow on.  In that profile, RN CL AP is far too weak and you got no HE to punish them for that.  With Perth / Belfast, your AP+HE flexibility denies them that advantage.