SalvoSanta

Perth appreciation thread.

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

237 posts in this topic

It's not the AP, it's the smoke that makes them so powerful.

Perth and Belfast both get smoke right because somthing that the premiums share with the tech tree ships is what makes the tech tree ships better, right, you are of course so spot on and knowledgeable /sarcasm.

If the tech tree ships were better, then you'd be on to something.  Since they are not, you are wrong.  Let me give you some knowledge:  Belfast is curbstomping the Fiji statistically, Perth outperforms Leander in winrate, damage and survivability with a dedicated following.  While you might make an argument for Leander being better than Perth (even though it has inferior statistical performance), Belfast obliterates Fiji at just about everything.  So no, the tech tree ships are /not/ better than the premium counterparts, even with their much vaunted (and overrated) AP.

24m59nq.jpg

Your apology is accepted.

Edited by crzyhawk

Perth is my favourite tier 6 ship. I'm a bit surprised more people don't play it. It's a blast to play. With its smoke, short range and excellent concealment you're almost always in the middle of the action.

The smoke isn't as good as it is on the Belfast because the wait in between charges is huge, but you can still get your shots in by using your concealment and angling away.

I don't think I have shots of my best battle (although I may at home). I do remember it was a 105K damage Kraken that included nearly full torps of 2 poor Bayerns that I had to charge head on after going back to reset our cap.

Just then - still buzzing. Our Atlanta had 4 kills and got taken out with about 4 minutes to go. I rounded the corner into their cap to find an atlanta with 2k HP left and a shiratsuyu with 1200HP left. I got the double strike (my 6th in the Perth in the last 4 days can you believe it!!!!!) and solo capped with 4 kills and there was 1 enemy DD left. He wasn't capping our base so I was waiting for him. Our CV and I were talking, and he provided me excellent support plus my dual fighter consumable circled the cap the whole time.

Fortunately the Gaede rushed me and with one HE round, reset the cap, giving me longer to kill him and secure the win, with the kraken and confederate. One for the ages in this little aussie battler - I even had 70% HP left!

W8lALue.jpg

I re-skilled my captain to get rid of IFHE yesterday and am averaging 10k damage more, regardless of the MM.

Edited by SalvoSanta

just got my 100th win in it. Sporting a 61% win rate & a my highest WTR of 1,362. Beats out my Atlanta at 56% & 1311, & my Graf Spee at 61% & 1310. Damn fine ship in the right hands....

no kraken yet, but close several times, & highest damage so far is 124,543.

Edited by bigalow87

I like Perth quite a bit but her short gun range (it's ludicrously short) and when Smoke is on CD, it's a PITA at times.  When smoke is on CD is when Perth is at her most vulnerable.  It is highly, highly advisable to pop it with islands nearby so that you can get cover when it's about to run out.  If there are no islands for cover, make sure you're doing your "Creeping Smoke" tactic and sailing away from the enemy.  The intent is that when the smoke finally dies out, you are out of detection range or easily about to "go dark."

The short gun range and if smoke is on CD, is a bad time.  Because of this, Perth in any solo capacity is a bad choice.  Without smoke she needs to get lost in cover or among other ships.  Even with smoke active, she needs others to spot for her.  So stick with buddies.

Yes, she certainly needs spotters.  I wish the guy I div with played DD's, but he doesn't...then again, all he likes to play his high tier garbage, which is probably whyu we haven't played together in quite a while.

This one's for you crzy.... Today was a good day.

YiUF9Os.jpg

Probably the best game i've had in the Perth. Took a few risks and got close enough to use the torps this time. I had a lazy DD that ended up spotting for me almost the whole game and a pair of Leanders who were excellent team mates. Getting rid of IFHE has been so good.

Edited by SalvoSanta

You got rid of ifhe? I can't afford it yet, I love it on my Belfast... why do you like it better without?

IFHE requires you to fire a salvo to get damage whereas fire burns while you are concealed. You cant afford to be seen firing in the Perth as youd well know so damage that happens while you are concealed is a bonus. The Perth has a rubbish fire chance even without the penalty of ifhe so going back to only DE was great. I start a fire nearly every click now. 

Plus, I am averaging 10k more damage since ditching it. Who knows! Maybe rng at work but I never got much use out of it. It's a no Brainer on the Belfast though. Weird. 

Edited by SalvoSanta

If the tech tree ships were better, then you'd be on to something.  Since they are not, you are wrong.  Let me give you some knowledge:  Belfast is curbstomping the Fiji statistically, Perth outperforms Leander in winrate, damage and survivability with a dedicated following.  While you might make an argument for Leander being better than Perth (even though it has inferior statistical performance), Belfast obliterates Fiji at just about everything.  So no, the tech tree ships are /not/ better than the premium counterparts, even with their much vaunted (and overrated) AP.

24m59nq.jpg

Your apology is accepted.

The last time i looked belfast was getting demolished by fiji by over 10k. Then again i think that was before IFHE had time to percolate into the stats. SImilar deal with perth, she was being pretty handilly spanked at the time by leander. In fact going off memory Fiji and Leander haven;t changed statistically by any significant amount. It's Belfast and Perth that have jumped up. Edited by Carl

Yeah when I first started hammering the PERTH it was at 50% WR. Maybe it's all me....Haha nah. I never see anyone else playing it though :(

Getting concealment expert was the game changer for this. Having better concealment than the Kiev helps you stay alive for a lot longer.

The last time i looked belfast was getting demolished by fiji by over 10k. Then again i think that was before IFHE had time to percolate into the stats. SImilar deal with perth, she was being pretty handilly spanked at the time by leander. In fact going off memory Fiji and Leander haven;t changed statistically by any significant amount. It's Belfast and Perth that have jumped up.

Part of it is IFHE.  I think the other part is people have learned how to deal with RN AP.  If you angle them, the damage dries up.  While the RN DOES have superior bounce angles, it's not really enough.  They can pull huge damage on people who are broadside, but Belfast AP is actually fairly effective in the same scenario.  That leaves torps and heal as the big things Fiji has going for it.  The heal's ok, but it doesn't heal citadel damage, so if you get popped by a BB from the beginning for most of your health, that's where you're stuck.  Torps I always feel are very situational.  If you rely on them too much, you tend to get wrecked.

I think radar is more valuable as you can use it for killing DDs, and imo DD's have the biggest influence on the game.  The easier it is to hunt them down and delete them, the easier your team has in the game.  The tool kit that Belfast has is just more useful (imo) than what the Fiji has.  Now don't get me wrong, she's still the best tech tree T7 cruiser in the game, and can wreck face.  I did very well with mine, I just feel the utility of the Belfast pushes her over the top.

As for Leander, I honestly think she's better than Perth.  She's got much better AA, and more importantly, longer range.  Why Perth wins statistically, is...she has very dedicated players who excel in her.  If you look at the stats I posted above, Perth hardly gets played.  Bad players decided that the ship sucked a long time ago, and that leaves only good players who know her well and can make up for her weaknesses.  That's why Perth's average stats are somewhat irrelevant.  The average player isn't producing her average games...there are some people out there making her look better than she is.  With a superior skilled player base, she /barely/ beats out Leander, which average players have decided is a great ship.

That's why in my original post, I credit smoke over the AP.  When you look at Leander and Perth physical stats, the ships are not much different than T5 Omahas and Marbleheads respectively.  Take the smoke away, and the ships will really struggle imo, because they are over-tiered.  With the smoke, the can cloak up where they are hard to hit and get their damage farm going.

Yeah when I first started hammering the PERTH it was at 50% WR. Maybe it's all me....Haha nah. I never see anyone else playing it though :(

Getting concealment expert was the game changer for this. Having better concealment than the Kiev helps you stay alive for a lot longer.

I find my bane in the Perth is...AS CVs. 

They deny me so much area with their stupid fighters it's ridiculous.  I'm usually contesting cap circles and supporting DD's at close range.  My concealment and smoke allow me to do that.  When a AS CV parks his fighters over a cap circle, I am denied that area because as soon as I get detected, I get deleted.

People always talk bad about AS CVs because they do no damage, and spout [edited]about the bomber always getting through.  AS CVs make excellent spotting ships, and spotting can change games.

still don't understand why you can't use Perth as a RN captain trainer, I feel as though that would broaden Perth's appeal, it's the main reason I didn't buy her.

Yep, spotted = deleted. And having a negative AA rating is so painful. I've had matches where I was cross dropped within 3 minutes and gone. 

It would be nice to get a commonwealth line. Though, having a 19 point captain specifically for the Perth I wouldn't look forward to starting afresh. Not going to screw my stats with a new commander lol.

You're right about the stats in the Perth being almost a false positive of sorts. If you look at the people in the top 20 or so, minus myself, they are all unicums in pretty much everything. 

Yep, spotted = deleted. And having a negative AA rating is so painful. I've had matches where I was cross dropped within 3 minutes and gone. 

It would be nice to get a commonwealth line. Though, having a 19 point captain specifically for the Perth I wouldn't look forward to starting afresh. Not going to screw my stats with a new commander lol.

yeah but think of that 19 point captain driving your Canberra though!

Or a Haida *unf* *bites knuckle*

I'd raise one from scratch with the elite XP I'm saving up from Seagal and my perth captain. Part of my plan!

Won't be playing the Perth for a while. Moving house and only have my MacBook which after 6.0 has some serious graphics gremlins. 

Part of it is IFHE.  I think the other part is people have learned how to deal with RN AP.  If you angle them, the damage dries up.

I really get seriously peeved of by people claiming this because if you know how to aim it is 90% bull. The problem is when people see a ship angling in vs them in a RN CL they keep aiming like they're in a HE thrower. And just like them a good percentage of their rounds shatter on their forward turrets. For HE this is no biggie, if it's the forward turret it can even start a fire forwards. For RN AP this is disastrous. You have to super elevate a bit, or go for the decking fore/aft of the fore/aft turrets respectively.

If they get close enough the side of the bow/stern are pennabble even angled if you hit the right point, (the bow curve creates a lot of sub 22.5 area's on most ships).

I'm not saying it's not more difficult and you won't see some DPS drop off compared to a broadside target. But no ship i've encountered is immune to RN AP when angled if you aim it right. What i will say however is it's somewhat harder.

It's not 90% bull.  I'm a decent Fiji player, averaging 54k a game with a 72% WR in the ship.  I watch my damage dry up all the time, and have to find new targets.  More importantly, when I angle them, I watch my own health cease to drop as quickly.

Edited by crzyhawk

Then explain why i'm having no problems getting damage? If you you can't damage angled targets the problem is behind the keyboard. Like i said you'll see some loss of damage and that does make switching better if there's a better target available. But RN AP is entirely capable of handling angled targets.

Edited by Carl

Your stats show zero games in a Fiji.  At 54k damage/game, does it appear I have having trouble doing damage?  No, I get plenty of damage, but angling dries it up considerably.  I'll drop from 5k salvos to 1k salvos.  That's a significant loss in damage...that Belfast doesn't worry about.