Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Gothik_Knight

Good WW2 Movies

47 comments in this topic

Members
212 posts
5,354 battles

Hello everyone!

Recently I've been glutting myself on WW2 movies, but other than Enemy At The Gates, I'm having trouble finding decent movies that focus on nations other than the U.S. (I suppose I should include Valkyrie as another such movie.)

Anyway, given the nature of this game and many of it's players, I figured some folks on here might have ideas on good WW2 movies I should watch.  I suppose I should specify that when I say "good", what I mean is decent production quality and at least somewhat historically accurate.  While I'm particularly interested in movies about Russians and French right now, feel free to suggest any movies that you think are worth watching.

[SVER]
Beta Testers
3,810 posts
10,036 battles

What was that newish one about the medic that refused to carry a gun? 

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,054 posts
8,280 battles

What was that newish one about the medic that refused to carry a gun? 

Hacksaw Ridge. :)

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
2,373 battles

Favorites would have to be a tie between Inglorious Basterds (not even remotely historically accurate, but still counts as a WWII movie) and Das Boot.  Still need to see Hacksaw Ridge, and very much looking forward to Dunkirk.

• Cool 1

Members
5 posts
4,266 battles

Two come to mind

Stalingrad (1993 version) 

Das Boot 

Both are excellent however dark and gritty but nice to see a different point of view from the German side. you can read about them on IMDB.com 

[VIRUS]
Alpha Tester
147 posts
1,853 battles

My personal favorite is The Longest Day. Sure it's more of an old school movie, but it shows both sides of Operation Overlord. Plus it has two versions. One where all the Germans actually speak German and another where they all speak English if you don't like reading subtitles.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,729 posts
26,569 battles

Another vote for Das Boot.

Has excellent music, too.

Go for the 3+ hour director's cut, not the 2h theater cut.

• Cool 3

[O_O]
Members
7,895 posts
22,089 battles

Band of Brothers.  It's American and a mini-series rather than a movie, but it is easily one of my favorite movies about WWII.  Great characters, and each episode is written a bit differently.

Das Boot has already been mentioned, a German U-boat movie.

[NDA]
Alpha Tester
6,193 posts
4,955 battles

A few I liked not mentioned yet.  Western title in parenthesis

Battle of Britain, Letters From Iwo Jima, Eien no 0 (Eternal Zero), Isoroku (The Admiral), Otokotachi no Yamato (Yamato)

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,729 posts
26,569 battles

Otokotachi no Yamato (Yamato)

Men of* Yamato
  • Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
2,373 battles

A few I liked not mentioned yet.  Western title in parenthesis

Battle of Britain, Letters From Iwo Jima, Eien no 0 (Eternal Zero), Isoroku (The Admiral), Otokotachi no Yamato (Yamato)

For those last three, would you happen to know of a way to watch them in high quality with English subtitles, and that doesn't involve torrenting or importing a potentially region-locked foreign disc?

[NDA]
Alpha Tester
6,193 posts
4,955 battles

For those last three, would you happen to know of a way to watch them in high quality with English subtitles, and that doesn't involve torrenting or importing a potentially region-locked foreign disc?

The Admiral has a blu-ray/dvd release in NA with English subtitles which I bought off Amazon.  The other two I imported a Japanese DVD so no idea honestly.
  • Cool 1

[WG-CC]
-Members-, Members
9,101 posts
8,050 battles

Das Boot can't be mentioned enough.

And a personal recommendation, watch it with the original german voices and Englsih subtitles. Trust me it is much better.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,729 posts
26,569 battles

watch it with the original german voices and Englsih subtitles. Trust me it is much better

*Signed

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
5,746 posts
4,573 battles

I recommend Letters from Iwo Jima and Flags of Our Fathers. The former is of a Japanese perspective, but the latter is of an American perspective of the battle.

I also recommend Downfall. From the Germans' perspective, it depicts Hitler's final days as the Russian and American forces push through Berlin.

[SYN]
Members
3,775 posts
25,422 battles

Stalingrad (1993 version) 

Das Boot 

These two are head and shoulders above any others I've seen..

Der Untergang is another good movie but more psychological than action. Brilliant acting - You've all seen the endless memes

Sentimental favourite is the Battle of Britain

Edited by Camo68

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
2,373 battles

The Admiral has a blu-ray/dvd release in NA with English subtitles which I bought off Amazon.  The other two I imported a Japanese DVD so no idea honestly.

Thanks, just purchased the Blu-ray from Amazon.  Wasn't available when I first heard about that movie.

Also saw that they had Yamato 2005, but it was $25, only available on DVD, and according to the reviews had terrible subtitles.  Probably gonna have to resort to a more illicit means of watching that one...

[WOLF7]
Members
755 posts
23,849 battles

Das Boot can't be mentioned enough.

And a personal recommendation, watch it with the original german voices and Englsih subtitles. Trust me it is much better.

Oh it's SO much better with English subtitles. 

Odd I see no mention of "The Train" yet. WW2 French resistance, angry Germans, trains, explosions, crashes and more angry Germans.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,729 posts
26,569 battles

If you're willing to broaden your horizon to series might I recommend 'Allo Allo.

[TBCIC]
Members
648 posts
9,057 battles

...  Recently I've been glutting myself on WW2 movies, but other than Enemy At The Gates, I'm having trouble finding decent movies that focus on nations other than the U.S. (I suppose I should include Valkyrie as another such movie.) ...

There are so many but what leaps to mind are "Tora Tora Tora," "Midway," "In Harm's Way," "Thin Red Line," of course "Saving Private Ryan" ...The "Victory at Sea" documentary serials (got the DVDs) from NBC during that epoch if that counts.

*I forgot ... "Patton."

Edited by Tulisang

[SALVO]
Members
16,461 posts
10,200 battles

A lot has been mentioned already tho... how coild you be forgetting

Cross of Iron

A Bridge too Far

The bridge at Remagen

Kellys Heroes

Something french...