You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
scruffycavetroll

Losing stars in ranked...should we really?

60 comments in this topic

[BHSN]
Members
2,564 posts
4,522 battles

I'm having a hard time understanding why they do this. I know that you don't lose them up to a point and after that if you're within the top 3 of the round or top 3 on the team something like that you will not lose either.

But why lose them at all? 

Why 'punish' someone just because they lost? Is it just to make it much harder to obtain the reward ship and make it grindy?

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
16,323 posts
23,687 battles

The idea is that is should be hard. The rewards are worth it. I guess we could dumb it down and make the rewards much much lower.

[BHSN]
Members
2,564 posts
4,522 battles

The idea is that is should be hard. The rewards are worth it. I guess we could dumb it down and make the rewards much much lower.

That's the only real reason why i can see for losing stars to simply make it harder...however I think it would still be incredibly hard even if we didn't. Sure, people may get to the higher ranks a little faster, but some of those higher ones require a ton of wins and is still not easy.

I dunno, maybe the stars should start being lost when you get to the higher ranks 5-1 or 7-1 maybe even 10-1?

[BHSN]
Members
2,564 posts
4,522 battles

Because reward ship is not a participation trophy.

yeah and? it's still being given for rank 1, you still need to earn them over several seasons as it isn't just given to you for reaching rank 24 or for simply playing one game. 

and i even said to possibly keep that feature at the uber high ranks 5/7/10 thru 1...

Edited by scruffycavetroll

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
16,323 posts
23,687 battles

That's the only real reason why i can see for losing stars to simply make it harder...however I think it would still be incredibly hard even if we didn't. Sure, people may get to the higher ranks a little faster, but some of those higher ones require a ton of wins and is still not easy.

I dunno, maybe the stars should start being lost when you get to the higher ranks 5-1 or 7-1 maybe even 10-1?

​No if we did not lose stars it would be incredibly easy. Everyone would rank out in short order.
  • Cool 1

Members
1,267 posts
9,492 battles

Lol - this guy says "we could dumb it down", like he's some part of the WG management team or some such nonsense.
  • Cool 2

[BHSN]
Members
2,564 posts
4,522 battles

​No if we did not lose stars it would be incredibly easy. Everyone would rank out in short order.

what about only losing them at the uber high competitive tiers? That's where things will be really hard with the really good players people still needing to earn them. 

@doublespook -- the royal 'we' :D

[HINON]
Members
7,656 posts
9,539 battles

It would be incredibly easy to get to rank 1 if you were not able to lose any stars. There would honestly be no point of ranked then and it honestly would be no different than the campaigns at that point. Just click play a few battles and you get the flag/reward ship. It's not supposed to be easy and anyone who thinks it should be honestly has no business playing ranked. If you didn't lose any stars then I can see most people ranking out in under a week easily with just casually playing, if not just a couple of days. It's supposed to be a pain. Anyone who thinks that you shouldn't lose stars and that it should be easier is just lazy as hell.

Oh and it's not if you're in the top 3 for do on the losing team. It's only the top xp earner on the losing team that doesn't lose a star. Everyone else besides the top loser, loses a star.

Edited by renegadestatuz

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
16,323 posts
23,687 battles

Lol - this guy says "we could dumb it down", like he's some part of the WG management team or some such nonsense.

​Sense of community lost on you? Or maybe you just have not had your coffee yet.

Members
509 posts
14,519 battles

what about only losing them at the uber high competitive tiers? That's where things will be really hard with the really good players people still needing to earn them. 

You basically only do at the higher tiers with no 'safety nets' at those higher tiers.  You are then crying about something you already have.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
16,323 posts
23,687 battles

​Well we sort of do that now. In the early phase you do not lose stars. Each league gets progressively more difficult. Most players can make it to Rank 10 with out too much trouble. After that..... gets a bit more difficult and then 5 to 1 is very challenging as it should be. I do recommend that every one try. The rewards along the way are more than worth it even if you stop at some point.
Edited by paradat

[BHSN]
Members
2,564 posts
4,522 battles

​Well we sort of do that now. In the early phase you do not lose stars. Each league gets progressively more difficult. Most players can make it to Rank 10 with out too much trouble. After that..... gets a bit more difficult and then 5 to 1 is very challenging as it should be.

you start losing them @ 19 or so...i'm basically suggesting starting the loss at rank 10. so yes, it will be easier to get to 10 but still be harder to get to 1. 

i can accept that the loss is there to simply make this harder, however I don't think most people will get to the highest ranks....bad players are just bad and the good ones will advance past those players faster. so ranked in some ways is setup to 'gate' itself, like players of certain skill levels will most likely only be able to get so far maybe regardless of star loss. 

*shrugs*

[HINON]
Members
7,656 posts
9,539 battles

you start losing them @ 19 or so...i'm basically suggesting starting the loss at rank 10. so yes, it will be easier to get to 10 but still be harder to get to 1. 

i can accept that the loss is there to simply make this harder, however I don't think most people will get to the highest ranks....bad players are just bad and the good ones will advance past those players faster. so ranked in some ways is setup to 'gate' itself, like players of certain skill levels will most likely only be able to get so far maybe regardless of star loss. 

*shrugs*

That's the whole point of ranked. It's supposed to be a test of your skills. Bad players shouldn't be able to rank out if they don't have the skill(some will eventually fail their way to rank out though). This isn't supposed to be some dumb event where you get the trophy just for participating. Bad players should not get rewarded.

• Cool 2

[RLGN]
Members
19,163 posts
35,195 battles

Wasn't there a big stink last season about losing stars at the lower levels? WG fixed that; you can't lose stars up to level 16 now; what's wrong with that? It gives you a bit of freedom to try out and decide which ship is best for you.

THEN when you need to go from Rank 16 to Rank 15 the REAL competion starts, and should be dealt with seriously. If you're not willing to give your all by level 16; then just win one game to get to level 15, accept that you will receive the participation flag, and call it quits.

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,614 battles

Must be new to ranked?

Ranked is as much about persistence as it is about skill. Skill just makes it a whole lot easier. The difference between a 65%WR player and a 48%WR player is about a 1000 battles.

So you either have to be really good or really persistent/lucky.

Also, the top player on the losing team does not lose a star, so that makes a unicum's journey even easier.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
16,323 posts
23,687 battles

*shrugs*

​23-16 are safe no stars lost. Yeah most people will not reach the higher ranks but even a 40% player can make it to rank 10 by just pushing on (because only 3 stars per rank) after that it gets tougher with 4 stars per rank and then 5 stars at the final league. Ranked is designed to be hard and yes most players will not get it done but as stated before the rewards along the way are good so there is something for every skill level.

Also as the better player move up it actually gets easier for people as they will be playing with more people at a similar skill level.

Edited by paradat

[BHSN]
Members
2,564 posts
4,522 battles

Must be new to ranked?

Ranked is as much about persistence as it is about skill. Skill just makes it a whole lot easier. The difference between a 65%WR player and a 48%WR player is about a 1000 battles.

So you either have to be really good or really persistent/lucky.

Also, the top player on the losing team does not lose a star, so that makes a unicum's journey even easier.

I played ranked for the first time last season and I did have some fun....breezed up through rank 12 / 13 then the teams got funky. i totally get it, i really do. this isn't a QQ, more of a YY at least. It seemed easy to get to rank 15 so that might be why i'm suggesting to push that loss to start at 10.

It is what it is..I ain't mad at all. 

anyone wanna div up? 

[GLF]
Members
582 posts
9,136 battles

I would favor expanding the people who don't lose stars on the losing team to the top two or three on the losing team. In limited experience, I like ranked, just because the smaller team size is interesting, and evolves it's own strats.

That said, don't know that I will ever rank out.

[-KIA-]
Members
5,244 posts
16,381 battles

The ships that are rewards are pretty darn powerful for their tiers, like Flint and Black, not to mention Black is the second tier IX premium.  You have to work hard to get them.

[-K--]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,172 posts
10,845 battles

> Losing stars in ranked...should we really?

Unequivocal "yes".

I don't even like the fact that the top player by XP on the losing team doesn't lose a star, to be honest.

Beta Testers
434 posts

I'm having a hard time understanding why they do this. I know that you don't lose them up to a point and after that if you're within the top 3 of the round or top 3 on the team something like that you will not lose either.

But why lose them at all? 

Why 'punish' someone just because they lost? Is it just to make it much harder to obtain the reward ship and make it grindy?

No participation medals. Rewards actually take effort/commitment. Sorry to break it to you.

Members
3,959 posts
7,738 battles

yeah and? it's still being given for rank 1, you still need to earn them over several seasons as it isn't just given to you for reaching rank 24 or for simply playing one game. 

and i even said to possibly keep that feature at the uber high ranks 5/7/10 thru 1...

And getting to rank 1 requires winning more than losing. If we never lose a star, it would be extremely easy to fail our way to rank 1.