Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
GiN_nTonic

Izumo worth playing thru?

21 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
825 posts
7,027 battles

The first line I went up in this game was the IJN BB line but stopped at tier 9 (unlocked Izumo).  Back when I got that far the Izumo was regarded as pretty crummy (by those I took advise from) so planned on free-xp-ing through to the Yamato.  I have the free xp to do this now, but with the Mo being released as a free-xp only gig, i've been thinking I should just play through the Izumo and save all my free-xp for one day getting the Mo.

Has the Izumo improved at all?...is it worth the effort to just do the grind?

[NMKJT]
Members
4,299 posts
9,133 battles

I'd just play through her, especially since her stock hull no longer has bad shells. The worst things about her now is her terrible AA (CVs will salivate when they see you, especially in lower hulls) and her detection. She's also kinda unwieldy too, but you're gonna have that issue with Yamato so you might as well learn how to deal with it on Izumo. On plus side, her lower cit lets her brawl pretty well, and her guns can use MBM3 to fire extremely fast and still not need the traverse mod (just EM) to move at a decent speed. Those guns have a lot of penetration at close range, better than Yamato. Yamato just has overmatch.

[EPOXY]
Wiki Editor, Members, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,899 posts
13,522 battles

Izumo is a fine ship now that it's been buffed.  no reason to skip it now.

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

She gets a bad rap, and while she's certainly not good, she's far from 'unbearable'. She's okay, the most frustrating things about her though are: her garbage rudder shift, bad AA, and super impractical turret layout. She's not a very fast ship either, and her propulsion upgrade only give you an extra .8 knots.

[THICC]
Beta Testers
1,250 posts
8,316 battles

Izumo is very good.

Izumo has excellent armor, some of the best in the game.

Izumo has excellent guns.

Izumo's main weakness is poor AA which does not matter in 4/5 games.

The only reason I sold her when I got Yamato is because she is incredibly ugly.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,630 posts
5,107 battles

The only bad thing about Izumo is she's boring AF to look at :D

~Hunter

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

Izumo is very good.

Izumo has excellent armor, some of the best in the game.

Izumo has excellent guns.

Izumo's main weakness is poor AA which does not matter in 4/5 games.

The only reason I sold her when I got Yamato is because she is incredibly ugly.

Her armor isn't really anything remarkable. Especially her bad deck armor.

[NMKJT]
Members
4,299 posts
9,133 battles

She's not a very fast ship either, and her propulsion upgrade only give you an extra .8 knots.

But still, faster than Yamato. :D

Beta Testers
2,855 posts
9,046 battles

Not even close to as amazing as the Iowa but she's actually playable now that her guns went from doing no damage to sometimes doing some damage. Just have to be a big tub that tanks all the damage and doesn't do much in return. Prepares you perfectly for the no brain ship that is the Yamato.

Beta Testers
1,821 posts
10,838 battles

Izumo is good, has great strengths, and vastly overstated weaknesses.

Her rudder shift is bad, but it's not horrible. She only really needs half rudder for weaving enemy shells. Her belt is strong, and the turtleback behind it makes it very hard to cit her near her turrets.

Her guns have insanely good pen and speed, and are comfortable to use. The shells are fast, sometimes you'll overpen cruiser citadels, but that's made up by ability to zap moving DDs.

Her only real weakness is to mid-long range HE. She'll catch a lot of shells. And her turtleback has a weak spot under the stacks according to the viewer.

There is no situation where I would feel majorly disadvantaged in Izumo versus an Iowa or Freddy. Whether it be brawling, sniping or midrange gunnery, Izumo can at the very least hold her own.

Members
3,010 posts
10,193 battles

I always liked the Izumo...

EDIT: Keep in mind, this is an old video (and done through a replay, which is how I was able to speed it up back then). Nostalgia incoming, take a peak at the ribbons. :P

Edited by BURN_Miner

Members
1,947 posts
8,913 battles

I loved the Izumo, for a long time my damage record in her was better than the Yamato (then I put up games of 251k and 283k in the Yamato...), I went full secondary on her and smacked enemies with those wonderful guns no matter the range. The turrets take getting used to but she is quite something, and those shells are unbelievable.

Izumo shells have the best penetration in the game. Better than the Yamato, better the GK. They can't overmatch 32mm, but they can citadel BBs at long range

[THICC]
Beta Testers
1,250 posts
8,316 battles

Her armor isn't really anything remarkable. Especially her bad deck armor.

She has pretty excellent belt armor.  I routinely get shatters and non pens firing AP from my NC and Freddy G at nearly broadside Izumos.

I don't think any tier 8+ BB has 'good' deck armor.

Beta Testers
1,821 posts
10,838 battles

She has pretty excellent belt armor.  I routinely get shatters and non pens firing AP from my NC and Freddy G at nearly broadside Izumos.

I don't think any tier 8+ BB has 'good' deck armor.

For those who don't have the game on hand, Izumo has a pretty uniform 365mm belt. Behind that she had an "octagonal" turtleback citadel.  The center is 75mm, but the fore and aft portions are 120mm.  About half of it it submerged.   Overall the armor works most excellently.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,954 posts
45,061 battles

I'm grinding through Izumo right now and it's kind of tedious.  The German BBs work well for me, but you have to play Izumo very differently.  Sort of like a giant, really tanky cruiser. 

After 45 battles, I'm at a 49% win rate with other stats slightly above server average.  I am gradually learning how to play her, and I'm roughly 55% of the way to Yamato.

[RSRC]
Beta Testers
1,258 posts
9,265 battles

Good ship by BB standards, still suffers from high tier BB struggles.

Not particularly enjoyable to play, but it's because of my bias against BBs beyond tier 7 in random battles rather than the ship itself. But even after saying that I can't say the Izumo is bad.

Edited by SeraphicRadiance

Members
23 posts
13,695 battles

I'd buy her and unlock the Yamato the old-fashion way.  I ground through on some earned days of premium time, 100% xp camo, and about 100 or so Equal Speed Charlie London and Zulu signal flags I stockpiled from last season of ranked battles.  Stayed on the A Hull the whole way through since I didn't have the credits to swing both purchasing upgrades and buying the Yamato, even then it wasn't so bad once I got used to her maneuvering and gun handling.

There's nothing I can really say that hasn't already been said about the ship.  A touch unwieldy in close quarters, but maneuverable enough.  I liked the turret layout, particularly for targeting enemy ships from behind.  Main guns are solid.  And when you're too close to properly aim, ramming is always an option :)

Sign in to follow this