You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Pope_Shizzle

Fight Night - Tier 10 Competitive Gameplay - Live Now!

15 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Supertest Coordinator, Alpha Tester, WoWS Community Contributors, Wiki Editor
6,526 posts
28,454 battles

Whoever is working the camera needs to lay off the sugar.

• Cool 1

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

Whoever is working the camera needs to lay off the sugar.

uh yeah.

Its....

Distracting.

[WG-CC]
-Members-
385 posts
4,941 battles

Wish I was not always working during this stuff.   -.-

Beta Testers
1,661 posts
7,501 battles

T10 BBs on a T4 Map with only a single DD and a single CV, the rest were just BBs slapping each other for several minutes. That wasn't a fight, that was just the equivalent to a barroom brawl.

Edited by Anumati

Beta Testers
117 posts
4,529 battles

The commentating and camera work left a lot of be desired, both in terms of technical issues and actual commentary.  Part of it is in fault of the lack of a proper observer mode, but the majority seems to be due to a lack of awareness of what is going on in the match.  Not exactly easy when teams are not all in one place and you're trying to bounce back and forth between commentary on both sides, but it can definitely be improved upon.  In a game like WoWS, it almost feels like you need multiple people working cameras so commentators can focus on the match itself.

One thing that did stand out is that they spent too much time trying to make trivial things sound exciting rather than consistently following the major points of the match.  I'm not sure whether it was an active attempt to avoid trying to offend people or sound arrogant, but there were many opportunities to examine critical errors while the game was in progress.

The fact that they used a tiny low-tier map for Tier 10 matches made for some pretty unconventional play, which seemed to be pretty much the driving factor in today's matches rather than the quality of the teams themselves.  Using low tier maps for high-tier ships also severely restricts the selection of viable ships to use on teams -  It's especially difficult to operate a cruiser when you start within artillery range of the opposing team's spawn.  The first 5 minutes of every match was basically people scrambling to hide behind islands with varying degrees of success and working from there.

Overall, it's a good starting point to build on.  

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

If anything, imho, just put the camera birds eye view. Like way up as an overview of the match. 

Sure you don't get to see the shiny boats up close but the constant zooming is mind numbing. As the match boils down focus in tighter to key engagements.

And for the love of [edited]god no more Z'ing on shots, it drives me crazy.

But yeah the current system, like the replay system, is not adequate and I know the people that are holding the event are trying to do the best with what they have.

[BONKS]
[BONKS]
Beta Testers
1,451 posts
15,237 battles

A big thanks to everyone who showed up to check out the premiere of Fight Night!

There is certainly a lot that can be improved upon, but we feel last night was a good start. Teams enjoyed having to do no setup; they just showed up and played while the mods did all of the work. No replay submission, no training room setups, and no unnecessary squabbles or confusion between teams. 

We also had over 200 viewers on the official Twitch stream. 

All in all, not a bad night. We hope to improve upon the format every week; feedback is much appreciated! 

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/112914-overpowered-gaming-presents-fight-night-season-1/

[-BMV-]
Members
763 posts
5,345 battles

Great idea, poor execution. The biggest flaw to me was not having some sort of required class allowances. The fights i watched were literally "YOLO throw as many Kurfursts into you as possible and let's see who wins the slugging match".

I love my battleships, but there was next to zero strategy involved in the fights at all. Here's to hoping the format can be improved upon because it is a great idea for the game.

[NADO]
Beta Testers
102 posts
10,937 battles

Great idea, poor execution. The biggest flaw to me was not having some sort of required class allowances. The fights i watched were literally "YOLO throw as many Kurfursts into you as possible and let's see who wins the slugging match".

I love my battleships, but there was next to zero strategy involved in the fights at all. Here's to hoping the format can be improved upon because it is a great idea for the game.

But, do you think "DDs smoke the entire fleet, and the fleet just sit in and fire" fun to watch? BTW, smoke strategy is still very popular, and a bit hard to counter. I'm pretty sure the GK team knows how to play like that.

Although it seemed a bit too brutal, by seeing someone came up with another new play style, which was dynamic compare to sitting in smoke and countered the smoke strategy effectively, I really think it's not that bad. Plus, the all GK YOLO strategy doesn't fit all maps, probably because last night they only played one map, that's why it seemed "zero strategy".

Members
3,229 posts
7,820 battles

I would argue that the teams that came up with that strategy thought outside the box, took into account the map and game mode that we were playing and designed a strategy that was highly effective.  I'm interested in seeing what they come up with as the maps and game mode changes.