Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Xero_Snake

Viability of IFHE for heavy cruiser guns (180mm - 220mm)

6 comments in this topic

Members
5,165 posts
60 battles

Though I understand that IFHE works ideally for both DD guns (100mm - 150mm) and CL guns up to 155mm caliber size, I wonder how effective would it be for large cruiser gun caliber (180mm - 220mm). But it could help dealing some good damage on BBs.

Thoughts?

Edited by Xero_Snake

[WOLF1]
Members
9,915 posts
18,231 battles

it is not effective enough to make the 4 points worth losing....the 3% drop in fire chance makes for a bad use of those points... but it can depend on the ship... some have said the Moskva is a good choice... I have it, I used the skill, it was a slight, and I mean SLIGHT improvement, but mostly only on USN BBs.... Montanas and Iowas bow on are tough as nails... but the skill helped get the numbers to pop up on the screen... but after watching a few knowns on You tube, I got rid of it....

the Chappy?? yeah it works wonders... but those bigger guns can all but already Pen the big ships....

bow on it helps but again, not enough to make that 4 points worth spending...

[-K-]
Beta Testers
5,660 posts
18,915 battles

I run it on Donskoi to push my HE penetration from 29mm up to 38mm, so that I'm able to penetrate the thinnest sections of T8-10 battleships. Kirov/Molotov won't see any armour in the 29–38mm range to justify it. 203mm and larger HE will already pen 38mm, so on higher tier heavy cruisers it is pointless. The same is essentially true for 210s and 220s. IFHE would push 203mm HE up from 33mm to 43mm of penetration; perhaps there is some armour in this range around Furutaka's tier, which would make it (and Aoba to a lesser extent) the only heavy cruiser remotely interested in IFHE, but I doubt it.

Have a go through the IFHE thread for some charts that will help make it clear.

Members
5,165 posts
60 battles

Thanks. I'm collecting some helpful thoughts before considering to get IFHE for both Chappy &Dima, but I would treat it as an optional choice, cause I have my VMF cruiser optimized for AA.

[-KIA-]
Members
5,244 posts
16,381 battles

Dmitri Donskoi really benefits from IFHE, since she has 180mm guns that can't penetrate 32mm of bow armor.  Her fire chance is good anyway, so the penalty in fire chance is minor.

Sign in to follow this