Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SkipJack67

Like to move up, please help me out

22 comments in this topic

Members
50 posts
1,442 battles

First, English is not my first nor 2nd language, so please be gentle on me.

At any rate, after 2.5 months in the game,  I am still struggle in T5 match.   So I went back to play in T4 for the past week after I got done with Lunar event grinding in T5 ships.  I would like to move up a bit but not sure if I am ready or not.  I don’t care much about my own personal stats,  I am more worried about dragging my team down.

Here is what I have above T5, all but spee I’ve got them from Santa’s box.

Murrmansk

Molotov

Kutuzov

Spee

Eugen

Indy

Atlanta

Atago

Also normal ships

Cleveland

Aoba

Nurnberg

Kirov

What are the ships above suiting passive,  pick and choose target play style?  I have try Molotov in random but went down in smoke really fast.  Atago and Eugen I have played both once but instantly placed me with T10.  I have no idea what I was doing and look like a fool,  frozen like a dear hit with headlight. So, I have never touched them again.  Basically I don’t think I will be ready in T8 + anytime soon.

Should I stick with Co-op in T6+ for a while longer?  I find that in Co-op when I played T6+, there are not enough ships on each side.  By the time I am heading to the east the show was over,  heading back to west and again the show was over.

I am looking at T7 max,  I have enough free XP to get to any T7 ship in tech tree.  Also thanks to so many duplicate ships I have a good bit of 10 points skippers and gold to convert free XP.

I also have many premium DD and BB from Santa’s box as well, but I don’t think those ships are talking to me like cruisers dose.

What ship(s) you guys is recommending for my passive none aggressive playing style and skill?  For me I think Murrmansk suited me well but I am struggle in T5.   Is Molotov benefit from Murrmansk play style?  I was trying Co-op yesterday and I landed two citadels toward the rear of a bot Fuso 18+ km away using spotter plane.  Not sure if bot ship’s status is the same with the ships in random.

Thanks for reading.

[O_O]
Members
7,888 posts
22,026 battles

Your English is much better than many who come on here.  Impressive.

First of all, playing Co-op will not prepare you for Random games.  The bots just act completely different.  The best way to train yourself for higher tier PvP play is lower tier PvP play.  Each tier you play slowly immerses you in the next higher tier play.  I sometimes enjoy a Co-op game, but it isn't very good as a PvP trainer.

Try to limit your exposure to multiple enemy ships.  Don't charge ahead if you aren't experienced/successful.  Watch your mini-map carefully and determine when you continue on the offensive or when you should fall back.

Edited by desmo_2

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,816 battles

I like Budyonny. It has good range and good shell speed, you you can stay a bit farther back and still hit things.

Members
50 posts
1,442 battles

Thanks for the info.

I guess I will give a T5 a shot now that I have learned a bit more. I think I am more comfortable in RU line than anything else I have tried.

I will give Murrmansk more sea time and perhaps sneaking up to Molotov from time to time

Is Budyonny play style remotely close to Murrmansk and/or Molotov? I am doing okay with Murrmansk, below average that is. I am okay with that since I have read people T5 is having a rough life. Molotov is not so much, I looked at the enemies funny – I died LOL

My time in Murrmansk is not consistent. Some game I did 70k+ damages and some game I did 7K damages, seems like I was all over the place with it. With that said, I think I am inconsistent. Not sure if I played RU cruiser wrong or not, but from what I have read. Most recommends stay back and abuse range RU line has to offer. Most of the time I let the fight come to me rather than go looking for a fight. Doing so sometime I missed out a lot of actions, sometime I loss and died with 80K damages done to enemies. Sometime I survived and won with only 10K damages to enemies. I guess I am still off the pace in T5 and above. I guess once I find the consistency the game will click in.

[-NEM-]
Members
1,107 posts
13,349 battles

Thanks for the info.

I guess I will give a T5 a shot now that I have learned a bit more. I think I am more comfortable in RU line than anything else I have tried.

I will give Murrmansk more sea time and perhaps sneaking up to Molotov from time to time

Is Budyonny play style remotely close to Murrmansk and/or Molotov? I am doing okay with Murrmansk, below average that is. I am okay with that since I have read people T5 is having a rough life. Molotov is not so much, I looked at the enemies funny – I died LOL

My time in Murrmansk is not consistent. Some game I did 70k+ damages and some game I did 7K damages, seems like I was all over the place with it. With that said, I think I am inconsistent. Not sure if I played RU cruiser wrong or not, but from what I have read. Most recommends stay back and abuse range RU line has to offer. Most of the time I let the fight come to me rather than go looking for a fight. Doing so sometime I missed out a lot of actions, sometime I loss and died with 80K damages done to enemies. Sometime I survived and won with only 10K damages to enemies. I guess I am still off the pace in T5 and above. I guess once I find the consistency the game will click in.

Budyonny play like Nurnberg, even more agressive but not much (you don't have the armor for that). Try to play at range, rain HE at BBs and citadel with AP those cruisers when they show broadside (aim at the waterline). No ship except DDs are more capable of moving around the map than you, so you can pick the fight and decide when to get out of it.

As for the higher tier gameplay, take into account they don't like to get close (less than 12km), because every ship will focus on you and that hurts. Go with your team, not leading them but following them, you will get used to the gameplay as you learn from them. You have to steer a lot (A LOT) of times to offset aiming and prevent a citadel hit on you or a torpedo run.

Seeing tier 10 in a tier 8 ship is awful, but its not that bad when you learn to play. I have an average of more than 50k DMG in 8 games with ARP Takao, but I feel that's not special, even below average. You have to get used to some things, like cruisers capable of stealth-firing and such, but if you don't go alone you can take care of those. 

EDIT: Have noted you don't have any premium battleship, so even more awful than usual. As I said before, learn how to wiggle on your ship to prevent those citadel hits.

Edited by hanesco

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

I have something I call the Murmansk Dance... it's fun every once in a while... put full hard rudder (Q or E), activate your spotter plane and start lobbing HE at some distant red. You might not hit much but you can force them to change their plans. 

Members
50 posts
1,442 battles

Actually I do have many premium BB, I just don’t think I am ready for that type of game play yet. All of them I got from the Santa’s box. Over the holidays my wife bought me $100 worth of Santa boxes and I spent $200 myself. As the result, I have got all of the ships listed under the Santa page.

Basically I do have Ishizuhi, Texas, Arizona, Nikolai, Scharn (can’t spell it LOL), Tirpitz and Warspite. Took some of them for a ride but more than half doesn’t even have module upgrades yet nor investing in the skipper points.

I will hold off for a long while, I am not ready to play these big boys yet. I often got into trouble with these big and slow ships and I couldn’t get myself out of the jammed…Down I went LOL

I probably stick with cruisers for some time.

Edited by SkipJack67

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

if you is a t5-t6 player do yourself a favor and stay out of t7-t8 ships, there you will find high level players and high level gameplay. So if you dont have enough experience you will strggle realy bad. Dont rush low levels because they teach you a lot. Dont use your free xp on ships, use it on modules. Before play a ship learn it strong and weak spots. Of those ships you mentioned, Graff Spee, Murmansk and Molotov would be good ships for learning. For now leave your t7-8 ships in port, its a favor to you and your team. They wont go anywhere and once you got better yo can play them.

Edited by Xlap

Members
65 posts
5,724 battles

SkipJack, 

Regardless of the ship, it's important to realize T5-6, and to a similar extent, T8, are extremely punishing for cruiser players due to the unfavorable matchmaking. 

I'd recommend grinding up to/sticking to T7 if at all possible. If you need advice on T7 cruisers, I have close to 1500 games on that tier spread across the Yorck, Myoko and Pensacola. 

Members
50 posts
1,442 battles

All good solid points. I will follow most of the suggestions here. I will try to stick with T5-6 to at least 1K game played mark.

I don’t remember exactly what skill I have on Murrmansk’s skipper. I think it was PM, EM, LS, DE and IFHE. Could I share the captain from Murrmansk with Molotov? Otherwise no big deal as I have several more RU captains with 10 points in the reserved I could use.

Also, perhaps it is time to fit the Spee, she have zero mile on her since I got her from the mission.

Forgot to mentioned, I also have a Marblehead. But often I got pick on from afar and I can’t shoot back because they were too far for my main guns. I don’t play it much for that reason.

Thanks, see you all on the high sea o7

[-K--]
Beta Testers
4,829 posts

Step 1: Get Priority Target at T1.  It shows how many people are targeting you.

Step 2: Get Concealment Expert as soon as you have a 10pt captain.

Know when your spotted, know who  can shoot you... Watch out for battleships.

Do not go into caps if there are many enemy ships around.

Do Not sail out in front of 2-3 enemy battleships.

Stay with your Team!

If you start taking alot of shots.. drop spot if you can.

Playing Cruisers is playing a Survival game while learning.  Give side of your ship to a BB ? Your dead.    Give side of your ship to a Cruiser ? Your Dead.

Members
50 posts
1,442 battles

Isn’t T7 will place you in T9 as well? My skills aren’t up to the task yet. I have a few games in Indy and Atlanta it was rough. A lot to learn. I keeps hearing Gremy is a T5 DD to get, I’ve got 3 of them from the box. I played it 3-4 times and I was terrified LOL. I have absolutely no clue what I was doing with the DD.

If you should Warships Today me, perhaps you guys can see what I should be sticking with for time being, ship and tier. Sometime you just need people to look at you from the outside, perhaps they can see things you have missed.

One thing, do not ask me to stop playing St. Louis from time to time – I just love that ship. I always go back to that ship win or lose :D

Members
65 posts
5,724 battles

Yes, you will see T9 games on occasion in T7, but because of the protected matching making T4 ships enjoy, you're far more likely to see T5/6 ships. 

If you insist on playing T5/6, I can promise you, 75% of your games, you will be uptiered, and it will be extremely punishing. 

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

Isn’t T7 will place you in T9 as well? My skills aren’t up to the task yet. I have a few games in Indy and Atlanta it was rough. A lot to learn. I keeps hearing Gremy is a T5 DD to get, I’ve got 3 of them from the box. I played it 3-4 times and I was terrified LOL. I have absolutely no clue what I was doing with the DD.

If you should Warships Today me, perhaps you guys can see what I should be sticking with for time being, ship and tier. Sometime you just need people to look at you from the outside, perhaps they can see things you have missed.

One thing, do not ask me to stop playing St. Louis from time to time – I just love that ship. I always go back to that ship win or lose :D

T7 ships can see t9 but thats not often, as a t7 you will see lots of t8. Many people likes t7 because you are rarely botton tier. Most of the times you will be top or middle tier. T8 is probably the worst because you see lots of t10-9, so you are most of the times botton tier. I consider t7 be a hard tier for you because is there were you start to see good players. Until t6 is easy to grind, so you will find lots of bad players. 

Abiut the Gremy, its one of hte best, if not the best t5 dd, but its the russian playstyle that is hard. Keep in mind you are a gunboat, not a torpboat. So use your guns. I started doing well in russian dds when i heard someone say : in a russian dd if you are not shotting someone you are doing it wrong. In a russian dd yiu will want to shot from 10km or higher, their guns are awsome. Keed shoting the hole game, forget you have torps and keed always around 10 km of distance. Never get closer than that. Never get into a close fight. Never contest cap points. Always keep 10 km of distance, max speed and keep shooting!! 

Edited by Xlap

Members
1,684 posts
20,008 battles

Hey there and welcome. 

Instead of grinding upwards, I would suggest grinding outwards. Have as many lower tier ships as you can get because then you can experience the play style and ships of the tier, not a particular line. It sounds like you have a problem with the game play not the functionality of the ships. Once you learn how the battles evolve on the maps you play adapting the ships to suit is the rash part. 

Members
50 posts
1,442 battles

Well,  took Molotov out. Played 2 games, loss both as I am going through learning process applying what have been suggested in this thread.  I'm considering the losses as a tuition fees :D

Going to try messing around with the save replay function after dinner. 

Both game I was the last man standing, probably not a very good thing.  But probably due to the "try not to be seen".

Here is what I did after I am trying to stay way way back and with the group.  The first game, after everyone went down I got focused by the rest of the enemies troops.  My shots were all over the place, kind of hard to learn how to aim and shoot from afar.  This is something I need to work on.  I tried spotter plane but it was a whole dimension altogether.  

Also I need to be more careful driving close to friendly, I trades paints with friendly twice :(

First game from staying way back and carefully watch where I am going.

S5KkrWS.png

I was the last one standing, so I get to meet with all of the enemies welcome committees :D

2JH3p2Q.png

Game details

eeOxAG4.png

2nd game, I kind of working my toward the big group.  Put myself between the DDs / first line cruiser and the BBs. Never got targeted, I am try to focus on my aim but it still stink to high heaven.  Again, I was the last man standing but got saved by the bell.

XD5F94C.png

aPaIrrZ.png

WWSj9Mf.png

Hope someday I can hold me own a little better :bajan:

Edited by SkipJack67

[KIA]
Members
3,839 posts
18,543 battles

Once you have the opportunity to go in random battle, leave the Co-op, you'll earn more credit and XP and you'll see how people are playing the game. I mean the CO OP is just here to let you know what HE is, how to aim, how this things works....

Now depending on your playstyle :

-Russian cruiser in general are good long range HE spammer. While their HE do not a lot of alpha damage, the 8 sec reload allows you to start lot of fire. ( if i'm not wrong 12% chance of fire for 8 sec reload) However they don't have armor and you will be citadeled quite easily, they have huge citadels and they turn like truck. They also have defensive torps with 4km range

-USN Cruiser have good AA and AP. I don't really like USN cruiser so i don't really know lot of thing about it .

-IJN Cruiser are really good. They can easily start fire and their HE have best Alpha damage but they turret turn sloooooowly and the reload time is meh. IJN cruiser can shoot every 15 sec and have 17% chance of fire with HE, so it's like Russian cruiser but with bigger guns, better alpha damage but longer reload and less range. They are manoeuvrable, pretty fast so you can pretty easily avoid incoming shells .They also have  10 km torps at the back of the ship, pretty usefull when you're being chased.

Now if you want be passive and still doing something decent, Russian cruiser are good for you. However if you feel too squishy, then try IJN cruiser. You gives up some range and reload time in exchange of more raw damage, better armor and manoeuvrability and decent torps

[-NEM-]
Members
1,107 posts
13,349 battles

Well,  took Molotov out. Played 2 games, loss both as I am going through learning process applying what have been suggested in this thread.  I'm considering the losses as a tuition fees :D

Going to try messing around with the save replay function after dinner. 

Both game I was the last man standing, probably not a very good thing.  But probably due to the "try not to be seen".

Here is what I did after I am trying to stay way way back and with the group.  The first game, after everyone went down I got focused by the rest of the enemies troops.  My shots were all over the place, kind of hard to learn how to aim and shoot from afar.  This is something I need to work on.  I tried spotter plane but it was a whole dimension altogether.  

Also I need to be more careful driving close to friendly, I trades paints with friendly twice :(

First game from staying way back and carefully watch where I am going.

S5KkrWS.png

I was the last one standing, so I get to meet with all of the enemies welcome committees :D

2JH3p2Q.png

Game details

eeOxAG4.png

2nd game, I kind of working my toward the big group.  Put myself between the DDs / first line cruiser and the BBs. Never got targeted, I am try to focus on my aim but it still stink to high heaven.  Again, I was the last man standing but got saved by the bell.

XD5F94C.png

aPaIrrZ.png

WWSj9Mf.png

Hope someday I can hold me own a little better :bajan:

The second one is definitely better, and is worth rewatching to look for mistakes. If you have some troubles with your aiming, then I would recommend you to look on YouTube for iChase guides. Those are some darn useful I think they were hot-linked inside game (I think) for the tutorials.

The first one was a potato team (full of noobs or it was not their day). Is just impossible to learn when more than half of the enemy team survived and you are the last man standing. You were simply out of luck in that one.

NEVER go alone or get focus-fired, not even in a battleship, there's simply no ship that can get focus-fired and shrug it off. To play cruisers effectively you need to have the awareness to see a potential citadel hit from a battleship, even if he is some 15-18 km. There are (good) players getting citadels at that ranges. And that's a skill honed at tier 6, that's where the battleships begin to have those ranges (and you get uptiered more often than not).

So, some skills to play cruisers effectively only come around when you continue to climb the tiers, so better not to skip any tier or any ship, the XP is necessary for the captain, too.

Edited by hanesco

Members
50 posts
1,442 battles

:)

Yes, T6 definitely harder. And yes, game that ending too quickly and or outnumbered > 3:1 I couldn’t learn anything much from it. I have won and loss in games that lasted less than 6-7 min, by the time water in my boiler starting to heat up – the game was over.

I am not skipping any tier, I am going to enjoy every tier and class when the time come. As far as aiming is concern, I am having some difficulty shooting at the ship that are sailing away in an angle. Especially in the opposite direction.

I think RU cruiser is the line that I will be focusing on right now, I felt comfortable with it. I have not play Kirov yet, I may try it this weekend.

Yes, they are fast and yes they are understeered big time. My guess it’s due to theirs long hull making RU cruiser pushing so bad. I guess I can live with that. I have access to all Nations cruisers T5 and T6, well only up to Kirov on RU line. Since I have Molotov I didn’t think I need RU T6 cruiser from the tech tree.

I failed bad yesterday but it was the part of the deal. Not sure, maybe T4 absolute max T5 is where I belong at this time. I am not based this on my WR but rather how I felt during the game play not the end result.

Members
4,479 posts
19,839 battles

Also, perhaps it is time to fit the Spee, she have zero mile on her since I got her from the mission.

If you want to focus on one ship that can handle being up-tiered I'd suggest that you use the Graf Spee, which I consider to be the best mid-tier Cruiser. I think that you'll find her to be a fine ship. She's second only to the Scharnhorst as my favorite ship.

A suggestion; Any ship you choose to play, use it in Co-Op battles until you get VERY familiar with how she works. Random battles can be pretty tough and that's a poor place to get to know how to use your ship.

Members
482 posts
25,418 battles

Any cruiser from Tier 5 -10 can be tough to play for anyone. If I get too aggressive too quickly I normally get blown up quickly in my Tier 7 cruisers. I enjoy the challenge of playing cruisers, dishing out damage and trying to not get detonated but I play them equally along with my BBs and DDs. The Murmansk and Molotov are fine cruisers which I also have in my port. Remember too that their strong Stalinium AP shells can punish many ships with citadels along with good HE damage & fires. Just be careful not to present your broadside due to weak armor, staying very angled and firing HE or AP at the right time. They are fast and very manuverable plus I love the spotting planes as it's pretty easy to hit enemy ships using it. You do know that bow on the Murmansk fires 5 of it's 8 guns very effectively. I burned up a stationary/backing up Colorado one game just moving slightly W/S with A/D wiggle from 10-12km. My target area was so small his shells kept missing me. He gave me the ultimate compliment when I sank him. He said FU to me on the chat.:teethhappy:

Edited by dust340man

Members
50 posts
1,442 battles

Aye-aye, I like Molotov and Murrmansk a lot too. Molotov is alright as I am not a skilled player. Watched iChase video, he made Molotov looks so fun to play but he also mentioned she needs a high skill player to tame her. I did exactly of what iChase told people what NOT to do, from time to time I’ve found myself run ahead out of the pack due to it’s speed – oops.

I really enjoy this game a lot, I find myself if I loss or sunk I will always come back for more LOL. I will continue to support this game as I really the play style overall. I play another online pvp game as well, some game if my ship got blown up I will lose everything and have to buy or built it again. Sometime they even took my corpse back to their home LOL

At any rate, going to continue to work toward upper tiers regardless of the outcome. I have about 2 more months to enjoy this game until my cycling season begins then I won’t have much time to enjoy this game as much.

Sign in to follow this