You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HowitzerBlitzer

Albany, how to use it?

9 comments in this topic

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,982 posts
3,253 battles

I know it's only a tier 2 and I shouldn't think much of it... But it is also probably the only ship I own right now that I don't know how to play correctly.

I try firing AP at other cruisers hoping for a citadel, but rarely anything comes up. HE shells don't have a good enough fire chance for me to use that, and the firing range is only 8.5 km, so I have to get up really close.

Anyone have some ideas?

Members
2,377 posts
16,938 battles

8.5km is relatively far for T2.  You have to position yourself to use the AP...that's really about it.  You can't stay at range and spam fire like Diana (I miss the pre AFT nerf diana with 13km+ range...).

Members
779 posts
8,226 battles

I know it's only a tier 2 and I shouldn't think much of it... But it is also probably the only ship I own right now that I don't know how to play correctly.

I try firing AP at other cruisers hoping for a citadel, but rarely anything comes up. HE shells don't have a good enough fire chance for me to use that, and the firing range is only 8.5 km, so I have to get up really close.

Anyone have some ideas?

Buy the emden its awesome.

Members
2,136 posts
5,764 battles

At T2, it is generally better to just fire HE since almost all the cruisers have a turtleback armour scheme. The only ship that I have managed to consistently citadel at that tier is the Chikuma.

[O_O]
Members
7,888 posts
22,026 battles

8.5km is relatively far for T2.  You have to position yourself to use the AP...that's really about it.  You can't stay at range and spam fire like Diana (I miss the pre AFT nerf diana with 13km+ range...).

Remember when Albany's range was 6 km when she was first given out?  THAT sucked.

Albany has big guns for T2, and her range isn't bad anymore but you will still be out-ranged a lot.  I tend to stay with HE for the more consistent damage, and only go to AP for close, broadside engagements.

She sure as hell is purty, though!

Edited by desmo_2

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,147 posts
6,651 battles

Pretty hard to do when you travel below 20 knots 80% of the time.

Try to get into a position where other people decide to ram you...

Alpha Tester
1,730 posts
1,193 battles

Anyone have some ideas?

you aren't going to citadel any cruiser that has a protected deck broadside with AP on it anymore. Engagement range is simply too short and trajectory too flat. Focus on hitting less armored areas that will still give you 33% damage hits. Though you can Citadel a St. Louis if it is angled towards or away form you as it has weak transverse bulkheads.  Even though it got a range boost a while back island shadows are still your friend.

Btw being a protected cruiser the Albany herself is quite protected against citadels at that tier as any hits will just skip off the protective deck. However she's pretty weak to HE and you'll lose engines a lot.