Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
DQCraze

Having a hard time with the german cruisers

6 comments in this topic

Members
153 posts
13,160 battles

My T10 ships so far are the Gearing, Yamato and Zao.  I got up to the chappy on russian line and im on  hipper with the german line.  Why are my AP shells bouncing so much off of other T8 cruisers, i thought this thing was supposed to pen easy.  What am i doing wrong.  What captain skills do you recommend now with the new patch.  I have the B hull. 

Members
93 posts
6,252 battles

German cruisers actually have some of the worst penetration values of all cruisers. My advice is unless the target is broadside aim for the lower superstructure if its lightly angled, you'll get consistent pens this way. Otherwise shoot HE and try to keep an eye out for when AP may be more effective so you'll be ready with a very heavy salvo. In short it takes a little more skill in ammo selection and aiming for different weak-points at different times than some of the other classes. 

[ANK-A]
Alpha Tester
166 posts
8,838 battles

German Cruisers having good AP is sort of a misnomer.

They have great AP Damage IF they pen. Thing is they have pretty crappen compared to every other nation/branch (bar DD"s)

Most of the time sadly I find myself spamming HE in my German cruisers unless I see full broadside ships. at mid to close range. Anything else sadly is just pointless to shoot at with German cruiser AP.

Funny since German cruisers were suppose to be the ones with the AP niche

[13TH]
Members
4,899 posts
9,120 battles

I play mostly Russian and Japanese Cruisers but not much difference in shooting AP than German Cruisers ... bottom line wait till there broadside to fire AP aim at or just above waterline, were it gets tricky is the ship your shooting at suddenly turns at a angle , shoot AP or Switch HE,Ill usually switch depending on range,how desperate I am and what ship im in

Not much of an angle to bounce AP .. Im always amazed at other Cruisers firing AP at me long range, myself 10k max and must be broadside for AP

Members
193 posts
14,084 battles

German AP pen is crap.:amazed: I play them as my main line, and I find the opposite that the AP has very good pen and dmg, but seems to have worst bounce angles. Playing them requires knowing where to shoot, not "ship over there, fling shells that'a way", i.e. I don't just aim at the side of the hull near the waterline, on say a Chapayev I aim to land under the rearward side of turret B when showing me enough that I'm not going to bounce, when bow-on I aim to land right in the face of turret B if I miss high I still pen through the conning tower, if I miss low I hit turret A. 

Members
323 posts
5,699 battles

I find their AP is fine when perfectly broadside. You will see a lot of bounces otherwise and unless you hit the superstructure, plunging fire is usually ineffective. I have no idea about penetration values but I can attest to the inconsistency of AP on angled targets (even slightly). Important to keep in mind that you DO have HE for times when you have to shoot at a target that is not broadside. No you won't do as much damage as the others but it can be quite significant if you cause fires and it's better than nothing. Since rate of fire goes up past Hipper, HE actually becomes quite an effective fire starter despite low alpha and fire chance.

Sign in to follow this