Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TenguBlade

I Can't Believe I'm About To Say This...

28 comments in this topic

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

Okay, so most of you probably know already that even among naysayers of the Nurnberg I think she's bad.  Had her on PT several times, and I was not impressed at all with how the ship handles.  "Obligatory exploding Nurnberg" is an achievement I've earned scores of times knocking them out with battleships and even other CAs.  Outside of one that has hydro and is rushing my smoke in a DD/UK CL, I'm not scared of these things at all.

So naturally one can expect that I was dreading starting her grind.  Figured I'd use her to round out my German II progress since she's the German ship I care the least about stats-wise (besides G-101, but CAs come easier to me) and broke her out.

In two matches, I was off the stock hull.

9eSHbY2.png

TBYcEdc.png

sO0bxSB.png

7AkY0N8.jpg

yfsyBcn.png

FDFyXDo.png

Then I had a 3rd match that brought me back to earth and decided to call it a night before my stupidity cost me anything else.

Proof that my life driving BBs is a sham and I'm actually a cruiser main:

8lrVixF.png

Bonus image:

ePOw2Sw.jpg

I was wrong, the Nurnberg might actually be decent:hiding:

Edited by TenguBlade

Members
3,681 posts
8,111 battles

Unfortunately, under not so pro captains, captains a bit more Poh-tay-toh-ey then you, captains who meet tier 8s, meeting lolpen NC, Shotgun Amagi, and frigging "balanced" Bismarck, Nurnbergs are still gonna explode obligatorily...

[KMS2]
Members
10,919 posts
4,863 battles

IMO "armour is bad" shouldn't be a reason why a CA sucks, unless it's so bad that it's citadeled by CA-calibre HE (cough RN CLs), so I never really bought the "nurnberg sucks" thing.

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

Unfortunately, under not so pro captains, captains a bit more Poh-tay-toh-ey then you, captains who meet tier 8s, meeting lolpen NC, Shotgun Amagi, and frigging "balanced" Bismarck, Nurnbergs are still gonna explode obligatorily...

I should point out that in the first match, I got vaporized from 20k HP when torpedoing that New Mexico, so I pretty much handed him the achievement.  The torps didn't kill him either, he had 6 HP left, but whatever.  They're German torps.

IMO "armour is bad" shouldn't be a reason why a CA sucks, unless it's so bad that it's citadeled by CA-calibre HE (cough RN CLs), so I never really bought the "nurnberg sucks" thing.

That's not the only reason why I thought Nurnberg was bad - I don't think Konigsberg is despite being even more frail, especially to low-caliber shells, if anything compared to her cousin at T6.

The main reason I never liked her is that she out-turns her guns in a hard turn at below 10km even if you have EM (at least, you can't keep firing in a hard turn below that distance).  The lack of 360-degree traverse makes that slow traverse even more noticeable despite Konigsberg's speed being the exact same.  Insult to injury is the fact her HE sucks (since it's German HE) and her dispersion groupings are pretty bad even at mid-range: the only ship I citadeled in that first match was the Kirov when he popped out from behind cover 4km from my guns (and it still took 4 salvos from my rear turrets to land enough hits to kill him), and the lone citadel I got in the second match was on the Furutaka at similar distance and in a similar situation.  Both Omahas didn't eat a single cit from me at 8-11km and 7km respectively, I had to cut them down with normal-pen salvos.  Konigsberg at least delivered her AP with rather tight groupings, which meant I could capitalize on its power more easily; Nurnberg's are going everywhere by comparison, even in these two matches.

Edited by TenguBlade

[SINK]
Members
712 posts
3,648 battles

The Nurnberg used to be my favorite cruiser before i felt in love with Mogami 155s and recently Hindenburg. The BFT and EM nerfs last years hurt a bit on her (not quite for AFT, since 16,5km is decent and can even stealth fire) but shes still at the top of list, even with the current MM

Edited by SirKenshi

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

Konigsberg "used to be" something very special... but something changed... her AP used to be quite nice... heck, you never had to load HE... I go back to play her these days and she's well... not what she used to be... 

I look forward to you having continued success in the Nurn... had it unlocked for many months... just did not want to do the grind. It'll be interesting to see what you think of her in a couple weeks. :-) 

[GC]
Alpha Tester
1,102 posts
5,173 battles

I liked Königsberg well enough. Nürnberg, not so much. Hardly felt like an upgrade, and it fights much meaner foes.

--Helms

[BOSS]
Beta Testers
2,762 posts
16,848 battles

I haven't liked a single German Cruiser yet.  I stopped at the Hipper and just play other ships.  It's really a dull line for me.

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,502 battles

I loved Konigsberg and thought she was the best t5 cruiser by far (especially with the 360-degree turret buff)...only reason I don't play her anymore is the punitive t5 MM. 

Nurnberg just wasn't quite enough of an upgrade over Kberg. She's OK, but she's meh compared to her tiermates as opposed to the borderline-OPness that was Kberg. 

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

I loved Konigsberg and thought she was the best t5 cruiser by far (especially with the 360-degree turret buff)...only reason I don't play her anymore is the punitive t5 MM. 

Nurnberg just wasn't quite enough of an upgrade over Kberg. She's OK, but she's meh compared to her tiermates as opposed to the borderline-OPness that was Kberg. 

Funny, I actually didn't think very highly of Konigsberg.  I thought she was good when MM was still T4-6 largely, but in T5-7 I downright hated her - I did better in the Kirov, hell, even the Emerald, in T5-7s than with her.  She's the last T5 CA I ground out of.

I think she's powerful when top-tier, but she didn't leave me the impression of just being absurdly strong in such a situation like Kirov, Furutaka, or even Omaha did.  I guess she and I just didn't work out, but that leaves me rather perplexed as to why I can get along so well with the Nurnberg.

[SPTR]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
43,780 posts
1,315 battles

Nice game, thats about how my first couple games in the Konigsberg and Nurnberg went.

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,502 battles

Funny, I actually didn't think very highly of Konigsberg.  I thought she was good when MM was still T4-6 largely, but in T5-7 I downright hated her - I did better in the Kirov, hell, even the Emerald, in T5-7s than with her.  She's the last T5 CA I ground out of.

I think she's powerful when top-tier, but she didn't leave me the impression of just being absurdly strong in such a situation like Kirov, Furutaka, or even Omaha did.  I guess she and I just didn't work out, but that leaves me rather perplexed as to why I can get along so well with the Nurnberg.

Hence why she didn't last long in my port once MM changed. Being bottom-tier in t7 matches most of the time really hurt her fun-factor, as she doesn't do well in that meta. Her DPM against same tier or below is amazing, and she holds her own against t6 as well as any ship does, but I struggled with her in t7 games. When I play tier 4 and 5 it's to seal club and relax; she was a splendid seal clubber but bottom tier 50+% of the time is not what I want when I'm in a seal clubbing mood. 

Members
52 posts
2,474 battles

The big difference betvven Nberg and Kberg is the kind of players you vvill see.

Kbergs take the ambush predator fun of Karlsrue and adds on the capacity to pen stuff beyond 8km vvith your AP. 

as long as you are backing tovvard or running from the baddies you can do anything even bounce (some) incoming fire.

And because tier 5 inevitably there is someone on the enemy team that vvill do something stupid and you can capitalize on it. 

BB coming around an island? DD inside sonar range trying to hide in smoke? Cruiser shovvs broadside 16 km avvay?

Nberg  is more about finding an baddie and kiting them all over the map from stealth fire range using CE

Using IFHE and you can rain pain in situations vvhere your AP just bounces.

IFHE is useless for any other cruiser beyond Nberg. You may vvant a separate captain using DE if setting fires means that much to you

Just keep your aft end pointed at the enemy because your best armor is still facing rear.

Even getting good enough AA  on the C hull to keep those carriers honest

at the cost of 1/2 your torpedo launchers (not enough aa to spec for it but enough )

And that is fine because you're kiting stuff. done right you ll never need them but for the occasional island ambush...

or you can keep the b hull for more torps and continue your ambush predator fun from teir 5 Kberg times. (i vvould recommend those fighter planes)

But realize that folks are on to those shenanigans at teir 6 and BBs VVILL go out of their vvay to Crit-adel you from the other side of the map if they see a broadside.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

I think  IFHE does help.    it is very squishy ship and I rage sold it when I started once before coming back to it.        Yorck was actually much better experience for me .    I understand how squishy ship needs to be played now, so I can do well with even mogami but    it was tough  

Beta Testers
541 posts
3,134 battles

yea I loved her aswell, Hitting superstructures with AP and her low reload is such a thing

[R-R-R]
Members
1,069 posts
11,452 battles

Well-played games!

But you should also be grateful for the matchmaking giving you so few battleships and less scary battleships.

Members
4,479 posts
19,839 battles

I do pretty good with the Nurnberg. Sure, she's squishy, but most Cruisers are. However, she's very maneuverable, has a brutal torpedo armament, and those 6" guns with the 6 second reload can really throw out the rounds and do some very respectable damage. She's a damn good ship.

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

She really is one of the best DD killers tier for tier.

Even if the HE is weak German HE...

It's 960mps HE, and it's got good reload...

And German hydro.

[Y81]
Members
836 posts
4,556 battles

Suck ship sucks. Come back when you do that without torpedo hits.

Why? The Nurnberg is one of the most vulnerable ships in the game,and can be detonated at any time by anything at any range.

The fact Tengu did it is due to both luck and skill that they didn't  get one shotted before closing down to the range of the torpedoes to launch them.

IF you know how to Nurnberg then its possible to do very well in it.

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

Suck ship sucks. Come back when you do that without torpedo hits.

Did you even read the OP?  I'm a perpetual hater of the Nurnberg, that's the only reason I even posted this.  This kind of performance with 5-6 torpedo hits is nothing to any cruiser that doesn't go squish long before it gets into torpedo range - I didn't have CE on my Nurnberg captain or any upgrades to the ship itself until after these matches either.

Sign in to follow this