You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
1nc0mp3t3nt_1

Why haven't I bought this flipping ship earlier?

32 comments in this topic

[BARF]
Beta Testers
5,816 posts
5,484 battles

Have you guys ever asked yourself this? 

For me, I first started asking myself this in the Santa convoys. 

A bit of background is in order. 

I tried the RN. I got to Danae. I was really struggling to like this line, then in my one and only game, I got deleted after dodging multiple volleys completely. I decided that with the German DVDs incoming, that I would just stop playing and go back to other ships that I enjoy before attempting to grind a line. If there is a less stressful option, count me in on taking it. 

Cut to me winning the Leander. Wow, what a cruiser. I literally started running in that ship, even if my 12.5Kt sailing speed kept having me flying right out my smoke circle and it's one puff. Definitely glad that is being addressed. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the ship, especially because it was essentially a free skipped ship without free experience. That makes this deal a whole lot sweeter. 

I can not sing enough praise about Leander, but that is not what this thread is me fangirling over. No, what has got me jumping for joy and pumped in random battles again is the very next ship in the line: the Fiji. 

Let me tell you that I hate playing as cruisers, in fact, I have only really bothered playing with the Myoko ARP clones because they were free and screw playing IJN cruisers up to that tier. Ugh. 

Pictures will tell my experience better, methinks

plzad2m.jpgyo, this is totally my ship. I mean, yeah I am fragile as all hell, I think I have only ever bounced DD shells, but I found that when I reduce my speed to 15.1knots ,slam my thrust to reverse and then start smoking, I am getting my 2 smoke circle puffs every time. I mean it, no failure on my part there, I slow down and hit reverse before I leave the second puff. 

Suddenly, I am becoming a monster. I have myself set up with priority target which confirms exactly how many people are aiming at me. Letting me know when I can go crazy. And it's amazing but in a week of having this ship, I have noticed how little attention is paid to me, and it's become a game changer.  Honestly, 70K damage matches do not feel like a huge effort and a bad game generally has me dying on 50K damage, I have only had one battle where I died on 30k damage to memory. No less. 

Now I know this shop has a lot potential, and may even be OP despite the lack of protection, but I clicked with this ship like only one other: the Amagi. I hate the Amagi however because I feel that it's too strong and way, way, way too accurate at long range engagements. The Fiji however, has good, but not crazy ranges, decent accuracy. 

Honestly, I would have to spend a week or more off the game if I was to be uploading all the 70K damage battles I get in it(my internet sucks, it takes 11 hours to upload 4GB.) but I have 2 ready recorded with AMD ReLIVE. 

Didn't read? 

Well, I have 2 replays ready to go, will record a third tonight(really, I have terrible internet upstream) 

Honestly, if you have been looking for a good cruiser line, start with the RN from Leander. Such a good ship. 

I wanted to spend more time raving, but my lunch break is over,  please tell me what other ships have left you asking yourself: why the [edited] didn't I buy this ship sooner?

Members
823 posts
561 battles

Scharnhorst, at least yesterday. First game I got 70 secondary hits.

Seventy.

This is coming from a guy who only played IJN BBs before this, and, let me tell you, I love scharny with all my heart, except for the dog[edited] mm today. I was on a team where I killed 50% of the dead enemies.

And there were two dead enemies.

Edited by Zehroflcopter

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,191 posts
12,721 battles

Scharnhorst ; I did not know that much and did not consider buying ; but a friend bought (thank you again Tai !) me one and I love it .

• Cool 1

[BLNCE]
Members
13,459 posts
44,054 battles

Scharnhorst ; I did not know that much and did not consider buying ; but a friend bought (thank you again Tai !) me one and I love it .

A pleasure.

[BLNCE]
Members
13,459 posts
44,054 battles

The Akatsuki was the one I wished I'd gotten earlier. I suddenly rediscovered the joy of IJN torp boating. She spams out 9 torps every 76 seconds, just like the old pre-IJN torp nerf Fubuki, and has solid guns and clips along at 40 knots. She can even invisifire a bit. I don't win in that ship -- seems that I have no luck with teams -- but I get good damage and have tons of fun. 

• Cool 3

Members
1,870 posts
20,653 battles

Having picked up the Gneisenau going up the German BB line I didn't see the need for the Scharnhorst. Having an excess pile of doubloons left over from the Santa crates I used some for the Scharny to have more T7 options for the next Ranked season.

It turns out that the different guns make them feel like different ships. I play the Ggirl like a normal BB but the Scharny plays more like a heavy(very) CA. I should have picked it up sooner as the Scharny is fun to play.

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
2,373 posts
14,201 battles

After playing the USN DDs for about 1000 games I started down the Russian line of DDs then got to the Kiev. Long story short, I asked myself "FOR WHAT REASON ON GODS GREEN EARTH OF WHO GIVES A @#$% DID I NOT BUY THESE SHIPS SOONER!?!?!" Im a VMF DD main now

Edited by BlueMistPvP

Members
1,684 posts
20,010 battles

Unlocking concealment expert on the Perth was a life changing experience for me. I crossed through a gate of happiness I didn't know existed. 

[-K-]
Supertest Coordinator, Alpha Tester, WoWS Community Contributors, Wiki Editor
6,525 posts
28,454 battles

Is it possible to have a bad game in a Fiji?  Yes - I got one-shotted by a Gneisenau who was in mid-turn 18km away while I was smoking up and bow-on.

[BARF]
Beta Testers
5,816 posts
5,484 battles

Is it possible to have a bad game in a Fiji?  Yes - I got one-shotted by a Gneisenau who was in mid-turn 18km away while I was smoking up and bow-on.

That is horrible luck, any other sobering stories? 

Members
1,716 posts
8,224 battles

Good for you OP, that you have found a ship that brings enjoyment, for me, the Scharnhorst has become my most favorite ship I have, it is nothing but fun to play!  Since getting it I have often wondered why I waited so long.  Should be living by what I tell others, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

[HELLS]
Members
2,970 posts
39,929 battles

So did I this evening. If you have been shooting at other targets and the BB has time 5 or 6 seconds to line up the shot he will detonate you from full health to Davy Jone's locker with one broadside. I knew he was there and was behind an island. He figured out that I was turning behind concealment in smoke to continue my fight with a Nürnberg and aimed blind at the right spot. No spotter aircraft up either. Boom. Instant Delete. It happens, especially with good players shooting at you.

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
2,373 posts
14,201 battles

Fiji is blatantly overpowered. I love it.

I thoroughly enjoy killing them in the Udaloi 

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
2,373 posts
14,201 battles

​I love eating any kind of DD in my Minotaur

That reminds me. I thoroughly enjoy killing any RN CL in my Udaloi or Khabarovsk. I've killed full HP Minotaurs and Neptunes in my VMF DDs. The Minotaur captain usually just blatantly ignores me while I shoot him up, and everyone else tends to be a lousy shot

[RLGN]
Members
19,148 posts
35,186 battles

Tirpitz and Kutuzov.

Hacked off at what a lead brick Leander has turned out to be, (for me at least,) when compared to Emerald.

Have enough trouble with Belfast; so no intention to waste time with Fiji.

[BARF]
Beta Testers
5,816 posts
5,484 battles

Tirpitz and Kutuzov.

Hacked off at what a lead brick Leander has turned out to be, (for me at least,) when compared to Emerald.

Have enough trouble with Belfast; so no intention to waste time with Fiji.

Belfast and Fiji could not be more different ships though.  I much prefer Fiji for its SAP and repair party. Far more useful than radar

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

I pretty much buy every Premium on release so that's out.

My "thing" would be USN DDs.

I went up to Farragut in OBT, which is a quick grind with Premium. I hit Mahan and quit the line, didn't touch it for over a year. Did the IJN grind to Kag and the RU line to Udaloi. Bought Sims when it was rereleased to the common folk and have been hooked ever since. If I play I play at least one USN DD game every time, never fail.

After playing Sims a bit I went through Mahan-Gearing quickly and am now playing through them yet again, ranked will be a reason to hit up Mahan again. Then Benson and Fletcher.

Best line in game for me, great combination of everything a DD needs to be able to have some impact on a match.

So then I guess my answere is Sims, though I never had the opportunity to get her until... I did.

WG...

I want an Iwaki Alpha plox.

Edited by slak__

[BLNCE]
Members
13,459 posts
44,054 battles

Fiji is blatantly overpowered. I love it.

Yep, after a couple dozen games, finally figuring out how to play its unusual concatenation of abilities. Spec for stealth, and get Priority Target so you can turn off when people focus on you. Fiji even has a km of invisifiring when spec'd for stealth. 
Edited by Taichunger

[AA-DS]
Members
979 posts

No need to worry, I'll be regularly dragging Fiji stats down, like i do with every ship I play. Just training another captain for it as it needs a different set of skills than belfast.

[BARF]
Beta Testers
5,816 posts
5,484 battles

When I think of OP glass cannon, 4 letters do cross my mind and 4 letters only. 

But as I stated, I generally hate cruisers(except for the Yorck), and you will see for the most part, I either play them long enough to try a ship of interest, then drop them(Cleveland, Hipper). I think very little of cruisers, mostly being they are basically there only until someone joins either the DD or BB mafia families. 

So, for me to have a run of bad games and want to  jump into a comfort ship, only to find myself choosing the Fiji over the Scharnhorst or Leberecht Maass, I am shocked. Hence that title. It's what I asked VonKaiser after I started division with him yesterday 

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

That must be karma. Have you hurt any little furry kittens lately?