You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Seadog_Supreme

USS Olympia Premium

26 comments in this topic

Members
1,866 posts

I'd like to see this ship as a premium ship. She was the flagship of Commodore Dewey at the Battle of Manila Bay. The ship is preserved as a museum ship in Philadelphia. This ship served an important role in naval history. The armament was laid out in basically the same way as Bogatyr (and now Oleg), although different in the details. In addition, Olympia had torpedo tubes. The guns were later modernized. I think this important ship would make a worthy American-version premium of this type of cruiser.

• Cool 3

[WHS]
Beta Testers
1,073 posts
14,320 battles

I'd buy it just on account of the fact I live near Olympia and worked in the city for 15 yrs. 

Members
3,681 posts
8,111 battles

hmmm, this might actually be viable. Armor wise she's nothing spectacular, but having heavy cruiser guns is going to be interesting...

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
2,373 battles

Would love to see Olympia added one of these days.

Bit it's hard to do low tier premiums that are pre-dreadnought.

Not if they gave Olympia her 1917 refit which saw her 8"/35's and 5"/40's replaced with a uniform battery of 5"/51's.  Would be nice to have another ship besides the A-hull Nicholas that uses those as its primary armament.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

I'd love a premium USS Olympia. I'm actually planning on visiting her this coming spring with my grandfather (I'll make sure to get LOTS of photos!)

Now, I know she's been suggested a lot in the past, so WG might bring her to WoWS, at least I hope so. :)

Not if they gave Olympia her 1917 refit which saw her 8"/35's and 5"/40's replaced with a uniform battery of 5"/51's.  Would be nice to have another ship besides the A-hull Nicholas that uses those as its primary armament.

I kind of actually WANT the 8"/35's if they make her... It'd make her pretty unique and fun to use. =P

Members
1,866 posts

The Bogatyr had a 5-in gun refit, which you can buy as a module. The same could be done for Olympia.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
2,373 battles

I'd love a premium USS Olympia. I'm actually planning on visiting her this coming spring with my grandfather (I'll make sure to get LOTS of photos!)

Sweet, looking forward to those photos! :great:

I kind of actually WANT the 8"/35's if they make her... It'd make her pretty unique and fun to use. =P

The Bogatyr had a 5-in gun refit, which you can buy as a module. The same could be done for Olympia.

Ideally, we could have the option to choose between both configurations.  Would make for a very interesting gimmick that's never before been offered on a premium.

First however, I would like to see if WG can ever work out a way to offer full manual control over multiple calibers.  There was a rumor going around last year that Mikasa was intended to be a testbed for this, but I haven't heard anything new about it in a while.  If implemented successfully, it could open up the door to a great number of early pre-dreds and armored cruisers, without them being as noncompetitive outside of co-op as the poor Mikasa currently is.  I briefly touched on one way this mechanic could be approached without making it completely overpowered here.

Members
1,866 posts

Ideally, we could have the option to choose between both configurations.  Would make for a very interesting gimmick that's never before been offered on a premium.

Saipan has two squadron options.

Members
38 posts
3,854 battles

I visited the Olympia with my grandfather more than 20 years ago.     Planning on taking my 2 Nephews this spring.

She is moored alongside the USS Becuna (SS-319),  a BALAO-class sub.

And of course,  directly across the river in New Jersey is the home of the USS NJ (BB-62)   (Iowa-Class)

http://www.battleshipnewjersey.org/

http://www.phillyseaport.org/

Edited by pR1mal_

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
3,004 posts
13,225 battles

Sweet, looking forward to those photos! :great:

​Pan-Asian ships much?

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
2,373 battles

Saipan has two squadron options.

​Pan-Asian ships much?

Okay, I guess the ability to choose squadron or torpedo loadouts somewhat counts.

To clarify, I meant being able to swap out the entire hull and its associated gun configuration.  Would be like the Oleg also having the option of going into battle as a Bogatyr B-hull, in which case I would've bought her in a heartbeat.

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
3,004 posts
13,225 battles

Okay, I guess the ability to choose squadron or torpedo loadouts somewhat counts.

To clarify, I meant being able to swap out the entire hull and its associated gun configuration.  Would be like the Oleg also having the option of going into battle as a Bogatyr B-hull, in which case I would've bought her in a heartbeat.

Which means there is precedent to do what you suggested, switching hulls or guns, because we can change planes or torp configurations. 

Doesn't make your point invalid, just fact-checking. :D

Beta Testers
259 posts
11,172 battles

YES YES YES make this ship a premium and donate some of the profits to the actual ship preservation. I will gladly pay for this. 

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,211 posts
15,770 battles

It would suffer from the same uselessness in randoms that the Mikasa does because of only having four 8" in two turrets with most of her firepower coming from the 5" secondaries.

[VOP]
Members
420 posts
4,543 battles

I have also toured Olympia.  Mid 1990s I think.  I would love to see this ship in the game and would gladly pay for it.  If WG made a special higher price bundle where some of the proceeds went to the ships preservation,then I would buy that bundle. :honoring:

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,211 posts
15,770 battles

Even without fixing the games secondary issues that impact so many ships from that period so it could only be played in Co-Op I would buy it and the captain would have to be Charles Vernon Gridley.

Edited by BrushWolf

Beta Testers
11,669 posts

With her crappy 8" guns and 5" secondaries, she will be like a smaller Mikasa style playing ship good only for playing coop.  Give her the 1917 refit with 5"/51s, which by the way are the high muzzle velocity 5" guns you see in the Erie and Nicholas, you have something that can give the Bogatyr and other Tier 3 cruisers a good run for the money in PvP.

Members
4,203 posts

GOD YES PLEASE!

I visited this Grand Lady myself back about 1979-80 while waiting for my 1st ship (USS El Paso LKA-117) to be finish from refit at SUN shipyards..

[FAL-I]
[FAL-I]
Members
1,122 posts
46,857 battles

Greats olympia and please of the ship ok sale add all secundaries and torps surface,that it has something special.