Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
skoony_1

3 Destroyers this week

41 comments in this topic

Members
58 posts

For the third time this week I have sunk a friendly destroyer.

In each instance a channel between islands had been smoke by enemy destroyers.

A friendly destroyer makes a run past the gap and high tails it out of there.

I go charging in, in a Danae (cruiser with torpedo's) to make a run. As soon as I

let loose with my torps the destroyer turns around charging the gap for another run

with perfect timing to get to a point where they block my torpedo's from making

contact with a possible enemy ship. This annoys me to no end.

In conclusion if you see me waving from a pink cruiser you know exactly what

happened. :ohmy:

:)

Mike

• Cool 1

[MUDDX]
Banned
8,144 posts
25,415 battles

since you are bothered enough to post this then you should have reported those dd players in a support ticket with evidence

[SCCC]
Members
3,181 posts
17,491 battles

It's a general consensus that you should not be firing torpedoes with friendlies nearby. Any friendly torp hit is your responsibility and yours only.

• Cool 3

Members
5,597 posts
7,121 battles

In each instance a channel between islands had been smoke by enemy destroyers.

A friendly destroyer makes a run past the gap and high tails it out of there.

I go charging in, in a Danae (cruiser with torpedo's) to make a run. As soon as I

let loose with my torps the destroyer turns around charging the gap for another run

with perfect timing to get to a point where they block my torpedo's from making

contact with a possible enemy ship. This annoys me to no end.

In conclusion if you see me waving from a pink cruiser you know exactly what

happened. :ohmy:

:)

Mike

It's ultimately your fault, but you should warn in chat that you have torps en route. That'll help a bit.

After you say that, CTRL Lclick the square on the mini map so everyone knows the area you are talking about.

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 2

[MUDDX]
Banned
8,144 posts
25,415 battles

A torps in water warning does no good for those intent on intercepting friendly torps. I have seen it happen too many times

• Cool 1

Members
1,776 posts
6,776 battles

It's a general consensus that you should not be firing torpedoes with friendlies nearby. Any friendly torp hit is your responsibility and yours only.

​This.

A torps in water warning does no good for those intent on intercepting friendly torps. I have seen it happen too many times

That depends. I have had it before that I could easily dodge friendly torpedoes, but it was that or showing my broadside to the enemy. So I rather let my teammate pay for it by getting pink. Hopefully he or she learns something from it.

Edited by joris92

Members
5,597 posts
7,121 battles

It's ultimately your fault, but you should warn in chat that you have torps en route. That'll help a bit.

After you say that, CTRL Lclick the square on the mini map so everyone knows the area you are talking about.

0014_insanity_einstein_quote_960.jpg

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts

Never launch torps when allies are in front of you even if they are heading away at the time of launch.

Beta Testers
303 posts
8,267 battles

Doing this is an invitation for anybody who has even remote chance of saving the enemy ship and eating your torps to do so! I should know because a Farragut on my team decided to save enemy Warspite I was torping yesterday (Warspite survived torpedo attack with 3000-odd HP remaining, another torpedo hit would have sunk it) and got me pink again in the process ...

It's best to remain quiet and just hope that situationally-unaware [edited]will not notice your torpedo spread and thus fail to turn sideways into it.

Members
58 posts

since you are bothered enough to post this then you should have reported those dd players in a support ticket with evidence

Report them for what?

I was near by when they fired their torpedo's. I know there may be torpedo's in the water.

If there is a point I think destryer operators need to know that some cruisers,BB's and,

carriers have torpedo's. They should be as wary of natural torpeco lanes as we are of

them and their torpedo's.

Already addressed.

Regards all,

mike

Members
58 posts

Never launch torps when allies are in front of you even if they are heading away at the time of launch.

They were not in front of me. They were heading away laterally as fast as they

could go. Don't get me wromg. I am not laying blame nor, feeling guilty.

Situational awareness dictates one should know other friendly's in the area

are fighting too.

Regards

Mike

Members
5,597 posts
7,121 battles

Doing this is an invitation for anybody who has even remote chance of saving the enemy ship and eating your torps to do so! I should know because a Farragut on my team decided to save enemy Warspite I was torping yesterday (Warspite survived torpedo attack with 3000-odd HP remaining, another torpedo hit would have sunk it) and got me pink again in the process ...

It's best to remain quiet and just hope that situationally-unaware [edited]will not notice your torpedo spread and thus fail to turn sideways into it.

:facepalm:

I guess I'm just an oddball then. 5k battles and I've only been pink 1 time. I'm a DD main as well. :teethhappy:

This is an non issue if you just don't fire torps when friendlies are near.

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
12,620 posts

Keep it up, WG might do something to you eventually. And unless you provide replays, proving without a doubt they are trying to grief you, you are responsible...

[BOTES]
Members
311 posts
9,625 battles

I won't torp unless I have a clear shot. It is too risky to torp around teamates especially if you are behind them

Beta Testers
303 posts
8,267 battles

I guess I'm just an oddball then. 5k battles and I've only been pink 1 time. I'm a DD main as well. :teethhappy:

This is an non issue if you just don't fire torps when friendlies are near.

Consider yourself lucky? :) In my case most of these occur when I am in a very slow destroyer and/or one with very slow torps. This is typically at low tiers (or with Shinonome).

It never happens with the likes of Yugumo because torpedoes are fast enough to prohibit turning into them :D

[HKC]
Members
995 posts
25,881 battles

He should have reported himself.  If the DD is laying torps in a channel, the OP should expect a DD  to roll back right away to fire off torps from its other side.  Let them do their thing: their torps are usually better and better aimed.

Members
5,597 posts
7,121 battles

Consider yourself lucky? :) In my case most of these occur when I am in a very slow destroyer and/or one with very slow torps. This is typically at low tiers (or with Shinonome).

It never happens with the likes of Yugumo because torpedoes are fast enough to prohibit turning into them :D

It ain't luck. :)

[O_O]
Members
7,897 posts
22,101 battles

This is all I needed to read.  The rest of what you posted is irrelevant.  I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you really need to re-think your torpedo usage strategies.  I have been pink 3 times for torping friendlies, but that is over 4,200 games.  Don't launch torpedoes with friendlies in front of you, and most times you can look at the situation and predict when a destroyer is going to turn around.
Edited by desmo_2

Members
1,140 posts
8,387 battles

Players can be unpredictable, period.  But with USN destroyers in the Danae's bracket, Campbeltown, and maybe the Germans as well, you can sometimes anticipate the possibility of this move as the DD player launches one set of wing torps and then S-turns to bring the other (or the front torps in the German case) to bear.  What others are saying is true as well, but I don't think you are really complaining or trying to deflect blame.

[WTFS]
Members
9,331 posts
13,756 battles

There's this thing called "communication", use it to inform your team of what you're doing. it works. Much less pink in thy future.

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

I sunk a friendly DD today, it was a surprise to me because I was sitting in my smoke behind an island launching torps on a Colorado that was coming around the island and a DD squeezed between me and the island just as I launched my torps. The sad thing is that I didnt even see the friendly until he was between my torps and my target. I apologized but PSA never a smart idea to drive between a DD and a near by BB, they might be just about ready to launch torps. 

[WOLF7]
Members
12,620 posts

I've found lately that if I pop smoke near friendlies, they pull right in front of me and park, preventing me from launching anything. It's getting a little absurd....:amazed:

Members
1,080 posts
5,785 battles

I sunk a friendly DD today, it was a surprise to me because I was sitting in my smoke behind an island launching torps on a Colorado that was coming around the island and a DD squeezed between me and the island just as I launched my torps. The sad thing is that I didnt even see the friendly until he was between my torps and my target. I apologized but PSA never a smart idea to drive between a DD and a near by BB, they might be just about ready to launch torps. 

Had exactly the same thing happen to me, was literally 2 km away from bb that turned around an island and a friendly dd somehow managed to squeeze between me, the island and the bb and take the 3rd torp set after I put the first 2 into bb. What a fool, the only time I did not feel sorry for torping a friendly.

Members
58 posts

Keep it up, WG might do something to you eventually. And unless you provide replays, proving without a doubt they are trying to grief you, you are responsible...

I won't torp unless I have a clear shot. It is too risky to torp around teamates especially if you are behind them

He should have reported himself.  If the DD is laying torps in a channel, the OP should expect a DD  to roll back right away to fire off torps from its other side.  Let them do their thing: their torps are usually better and better aimed.

This is all I needed to read.  The rest of what you posted is irrelevant.  I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you really need to re-think your torpedo usage strategies.  I have been pink 3 times for torping friendlies, but that is over 4,200 games.  Don't launch torpedoes with friendlies in front of you, and most times you can look at the situation and predict when a destroyer is going to turn around.

First of all I am not blaming anyone including my self. Destroyers do not double back for another run

when they know they have a friendly destroyer near by. As I have already said there was no one in

front of me when I shot my torpedo's.

I think the problem lies in the fact that destroyers do not get the fact that they aren't the only ships

carrying torpedo's. When 3 or 4 ships are charging at a channel filled with enemy ships under cover

of smoke it's not for the purpose of mingling in there with them. I check to see who has torpedo's.

I assume they intend to use them. Some have said I may be responsible. Maybe. I can tell you I do

not make it a habit of running in between destroyers and enemy targets, destryers shouldn't either.

Regards

Mike

Members
1,080 posts
5,785 battles

First of all I am not blaming anyone including my self. Destroyers do not double back for another run

when they know they have a friendly destroyer near by. As I have already said there was no one in

front of me when I shot my torpedo's.

I think the problem lies in the fact that destroyers do not get the fact that they aren't the only ships

carrying torpedo's. When 3 or 4 ships are charging at a channel filled with enemy ships under cover

of smoke it's not for the purpose of mingling in there with them. I check to see who has torpedo's.

I assume they intend to use them. Some have said I may be responsible. Maybe. I can tell you I do

not make it a habit of running in between destroyers and enemy targets, destryers shouldn't either.

Regards

Mike

When a team mate can cross your torps, it means he is in front of you. You only launch your torps when you are 100% sure they physically cannot hit your team or you are willing to take the risk of going pink. No one has to watch out for their team in the back to not accidentally killing them.
Edited by Vaitmana
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this